A Stitcher's Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > What'd you read in June?!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eden (last edited Jul 01, 2018 07:52PM) (new)

Eden | 840 comments Mod
This is where we'll post all of our reads for the month of June!!!
Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters Only Human (Themis Files, #3) by Sylvain Neuvel Furthermore (Furthermore, #1) by Tahereh Mafi The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory Shadow Keeper (Shadow, #3) by Christine Feehan Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini The Case of the Killer Divorce (Jamie Quinn Mystery #2) by Barbara Venkataraman Good Me, Bad Me by Ali Land Home Front by Kristin Hannah American Gods by Neil Gaiman The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller Circe by Madeline Miller Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2) by Joanne Fluke Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) by Rae Carson The Captive Maiden (Hagenheim, #4) by Melanie Dickerson The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3) by Rae Carson

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (sweettreads) | 87 comments I read Only Human I would say 3.5 stars. Like others said, the ending was a bit lame. But the rest of the series was really good! I HIGHLY recommend listening to the audiobooks. Its a full-blown production. They are really good

message 3: by Eden (new)

Eden | 840 comments Mod
Finished up Furthermore by Tahereh Mahfi
I’m not totally sure what I think of this. Maybe 3 Stars.

message 4: by Eden (new)

Eden | 840 comments Mod
Finished The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory.
3/5 Stars
An average romance. Unfortunately, the hype for this had my expectations really high, and the book didn't meet them.

message 5: by Eden (new)

Eden | 840 comments Mod
Teresa wrote: "I read Only Human I would say 3.5 stars. Like others said, the ending was a bit lame. But the rest of the series was really good! I HIGHLY recommend listening to the audiobooks. Its..."

I've wanted to check out the series, so I'll definitely listen to the audiobooks. I love the ones that are full productions!

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 366 comments Shadow keeper. 3 Stars. Maybe 2.

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 366 comments Good Me, Bad Me. Five stars but sad and disturbing.

message 8: by Eden (new)

Eden | 840 comments Mod
Sharon wrote: "Good Me, Bad Me. Five stars but sad and disturbing."

It looks creepy! Glad it was a 5 star read for you!

message 9: by Sharon (last edited Jun 28, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Sharon | 366 comments Just finished Home Front. It was recommended by a friend and is such a good book. Be sure to have tissues. Five stars, ten if it were possible!

Purple Bookish Frog (Bonnie) (purplebookishfrog) | 503 comments Mod
I finished The American Gods by Neil Gaiman in June although it was an Audiobook. I hope this counts x

message 11: by Eden (new)

Eden | 840 comments Mod
Bonnie wrote: "I finished The American Gods by Neil Gaiman in June although it was an Audiobook. I hope this counts x"

It absolutely counts!!! Half of my books are audiobooks :D

message 12: by Kevin Tober (new)

Kevin Tober I read two great books by Madeline Miller. The first was an ebook on sale for $1.99 (it may still be?) titled "Song of Achilles." The title may turn some people off, thinking it's a boring book about ancient Greeks, etc.. Well, it IS about ancient Greeks - but I found it far from boring! You do NOT need to know who Achilles is or anything about The Trojan War or ANY of that because this author does an amazing job of writing and getting to the point. It's basically a character study of the title character but the story is told by his friend, Patroclus. There are gods and goddesses making mischief and there is romance secretly taking place that I felt the author captured and explained wonderfully. 5 stars from this reader. The author uses metaphors beautifully, and captures the heart and soul of her characters.

Ok - the second book of hers is currently on The NY Times bestseller list and titled Circe.
This one has a female as the main character and LOTS of gods and goddesses because Circe is a child of a god. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but will tell you there is magic aplenty and you WILL fall in love with the main character quickly. (At least, I did!) Again there is no prior knowledge of gods or mythology needed to enjoy this novel. IF you read The Odyssey in high school English (or the Cliffs Notes?! Gasp) you might remember Circe because she was one of the characters Odysseus meets on his voyage home after The Trojan War. Needless to say, you're in for a surprise reading this because it goes into her childhood living among the gods and goddesses in an underwater palace! I'd give it 5 stars hands down. Can't wait for Miller to write her next novel!

message 13: by Eden (new)

Eden | 840 comments Mod
Kevin wrote: "I read two great books by Madeline Miller. The first was an ebook on sale for $1.99 (it may still be?) titled "Song of Achilles." The title may turn some people off, thinking it's a boring book abo..."

I read Song of Achilles in college and LOVED it. I want to re read it.

Circe I wasn't sure about but have it on my TBR anyway. I'll definitely pick it up if it's really that great!! :D

message 14: by Eden (last edited Jun 29, 2018 12:46PM) (new)

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 366 comments Continuing The Lunar Chronicles with Cress. Five stars - really enjoying this series!

message 16: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (sweettreads) | 87 comments The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson 4 out of 5 stars

The Captive Maiden by Melanie Dickerson 3 out of 5 stars

The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson 5 out of 5 stars

message 17: by Dana (new)

Dana | 156 comments Mod
Still back tracking here....
Soulless ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Changeless ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Blameless ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Heartless ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Timeless ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Catherine the Great: A Life From Beginning to End ⭐⭐
Injection, Vol. 1 ⭐⭐⭐
Bloodchild ⭐⭐⭐
Rory, the Sleeper ⭐⭐⭐
Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.