Start by marking “Shelter in Place” as Want to Read:
Shelter in Place

Shelter in Place

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  22,851 ratings  ·  2,625 reviews
Sometimes, there is nowhere safe to hide.

It was a typical evening at a mall outside Portland, Maine. Three teenage friends waited for the movie to start. A boy flirted with the girl selling sunglasses. Mothers and children shopped together, and the manager at the video-game store tended to customers. Then the shooters arrived.

The chaos and carnage lasted only eight minutes
Published May 29th 2018 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Shelter in Place, please sign up.
Joanne This is one of Nora's stand alone suspense novels. I found an early review from Kirkus posted on Nora's website. I think the romance will be between…moreThis is one of Nora's stand alone suspense novels. I found an early review from Kirkus posted on Nora's website. I think the romance will be between Reed Quartermaine and Simone Knox.(less)
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,289 books — 4,753 voters
The Great Alone by Kristin HannahCirce by Madeline MillerEducated by Tara WestoverThe Cruel Prince by Holly BlackThe Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
Best Books of 2018
1,248 books — 2,266 voters

More lists with this book...

·  22,851 ratings  ·  2,625 reviews

Deanna
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!

“Sometimes, there is nowhere safe to hide.”

It’s been a while since I’ve read a book from Nora Roberts. When I came across this novel, I read the description and immediately added it to the top of my list.

In my opinion, “Shelter in Place” was another great read from Nora Roberts!!

Friday, July 22, 2005
Simone Knox and her two best friends, Tish and Mi are at the DownEast mall to see a movie. Simone orders what she
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
Shelter in Place 8 minutes - a mass shooting - a physical and emotional aftermath that leaves countless lives changed forever

This was a gut wrenching book to read in light of the mass shootings we have endured but I found it well written. Roberts' focus wasn't solely on the shooting itself. The book fast forwards and focuses instead mainly on the after effects of the shooting - on the lives of the victims and heroes and on the true mastermind behind the plot's warped quest for vengeance.

The sto
Jilly
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, thrillers
Well, I can't be a smartass for this review. It was just too close to home to joke about. This story is really timely because it is about a mass shooting. It really gets in-depth with what happens with those who survived and how their lives were changed.

So, the book is divided into sections.

The first part is the shooting itself. How it went down, how different people reacted, what the survivors experienced. It was sad and horrible.

The second part of the book goes through a lot of years telling u
Jonetta
In the space of a few minutes, the lives of those visiting or working at the DownEast Mall and adjacent theater in Rockpoint, Maine were permanently altered. Three shooters decided that whatever was wrong in their lives warranted the selfish actions they took in those moments. Survivors Reed Quartermaine and Simone Knox followed paths that weren’t part of their original destinies until that event in the mall. Reed went into law enforcement and Simone expressed her feelings through art.

I first t
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm so torn on how to rate this one. There were quite a few positive points but there were also quite a few negative points. There were several times while reading where I just put the book down as it wasn't pulling me in and I was either bored, irritated or doing an eye roll.

The book started off great with the shooting in the shopping mall and I really thought I was going to love it, but...

The ability of the person behind a stream of murders after the shooting became too much. The FBI became th
Phrynne
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
Nora Roberts takes a very sad and serious theme in Shelter in Place and turns it into a gripping and totally enthralling story.

The book starts with a shooting in a cinema and Mall when three young men kill multiple people and themselves. This part of the book is traumatic and very well described. The story then moves into the future focussing on a small group of survivors and what happens to them. Of course the author adds extra tension and drama with a psychotic killer trying to finish of those
Corina
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: standalone

Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts was so much more than I expected. I must admit I don't read her blurbs anymore. She is a MUST READ author for me and her standalone signature novels are highly anticipated and always, always immediately devoured. Shelter in Place was a touching and emotionally raw story that was as timely as it was chilling. The author delivered a tale that kept me glued to the pages, as well as utterly captivated.

Nora Roberts chose a topic that gives me goose bumps ever
Teri Parks
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Nora Roberts is BOLD! I don't know of many authors who could get away with what Nora accomplished in Shelter In Place without losing some fans.

In her newest book, set to come out in the summer of 2018, Nora tackles a topic that has become all too common in society today - a mass shooting. When I read the synopsis, I wasn't sure what my feelings were. I had just come off of reading the ARC for Year One - a masterful new direction for Nora due out December 5th - and I was apprehensive that Shelter
jv poore
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, suspense, mystery
Just when I think I know exactly what I'm getting into, Ms. Roberts regales with something entirely unexpected and creepy-current.
Celeste
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review now posted!

In my opinion, Nora Roberts is one of the most underrated authors ever. Yes, she’s incredibly popular, but her work is relegated in people’s minds to chick-lit and breezy, mindless beach reads. There’s so much more to her work than that, especially her more recent novels. There’s a depth to her prose and characterizations and descriptions that is overlooked by those who belittle her work and believe that she just writes fluff. I’ve never come across another author who can
Suzanne
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely incredible! I ate this book up in a short time because it was so intriguing with amazing characters. This is my favorite Nora Roberts book to date that I have read so far (have not read all her books though). The angst, perseverance, and growth of these characters is so detailed and effective to getting the reader pulled in and invested into the story. I cannot say more than these characters take a devastating tragedy and veer into different directions for their lives, but unfortunate ...more
Brenda
Simone, Mi and Tish – best friends, with Mi and Tish there for Simone after a nasty breakup with a boyfriend – sixteen years of age and waiting for the movie to start. The theatre in the DownEast Mall was busy, as was the mall outside the doors. Families shopping, video games pumping, people laughing and having a good time. Until the shots started, and the screaming began…

Portland, Maine made headlines from the carnage that night – the three teenage shooters didn’t live to tell the tale; neither
Ira
4.5 stars.

I love this one, the story pull me in, the romance part is rather thin though but is sweet 😍 also too many pages given to the villain 😠.

This book feels like a feminist story to me, perhaps that #metoo movement give Ms. Roberts few ideas, many characters involved, except our hero and few supporting characters, are women! That’s for both side, the good guys and the bad guys, er why do they use guys when they are not? 😬

Also, this book show how Ms. Roberts stands regarding the horrific gun
Wendy
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelter In Place has to be one of my favourite novels by Nora Roberts.
The story begins with a mass shooting at a mall in the U.S. followed by a related killer out to murder the survivors.
However, the subsequent events in the lives of the victims are portrayed as happy and positive moments as the years go by.
It's a story of tragedy, love, family and friendship but most of all a story about survival.
Loved it!
Carol
5 stars.🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
My first Nora Roberts book and I feel like I struck gold with this recent release.
I had borrowed this book from the library after patiently waiting my turn, hold no. 68 on 20 copies.
It was so worth the wait.
This story not only jumped off the pages but it was like the "Law and Order" series disclaimer it was "ripped from the headlines".
It had so much realism, which made me a little sad but what a wonderfully crafted, suspenseful and thrilling tale in this age of gun violence.
I was s
Kat
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
This was an intense, emotional book detailing the aftermath of a fictional mass shooting in Maine. As a warning, with all the mass shootings that have been occurring recently in the US, the first part of the book can be pretty intense to read. I found it quite triggering. Much of the narrative jumps forward in time after that and looks at the after-effect on the survivors, and the investigation as police try to determine if the shooters acted alone. One of my favorite Nora Roberts books to date! ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
My book club read this month is Shelter in Place, the latest standalone novel by Norah Roberts, an author that does not need any introduction. Her worldwide appeal and long list of popular book series, mostly of the romance fare, has secured her a permanent place on the bestsellers list. I feel that the release of this title in incredibly timely, offering up plenty of discussion for book groups and the like. Gun violence and mass shootings in the US
Jaya
⭐ ⭐
After reading more than 100 from the same author, the story arc, plots, characters are bound to feel familiar, predictable, stale and honestly? tiresome.
hmmpff
b.andherbooks
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Trigger warning: mass shooting

Nora Roberts has been traveling some dark roads lately and I for one am not finding myself loving the results.

I adore Roberts romances, but alas I wouldn't hardly classify this as one (yes there is a HEA so technically it fits the bill). There is a romance, eventually, between two survivors of a mass shooting but the road to get there makes the overall romance arc a bit of a throwaway.

About 40% of the novel is a very detailed account of the mass shooting from vari
NZLisaM
Actually closer to 3.5.

As I’ve come to expect from Nora Roberts this was a well written, straightforward read with interesting, varied well-rounded characters, who were easy to connect with. The Mall shooting was tastefully handled – still horrific and tense of course – but the violence was kept as brief as possible, taking place over less than two chapters. There are some pretty emotional scenes, that had me tearing up, especially in Part 1, so keep the tissues handy.

Based on the first half o
♥Sharon♥
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this one even with the difficult story line.

When picking it up I wondered how the story would affect me. Sadly this story centers around a tragic and senseless event that happens one too many times in this world. But Nora Roberts took care with how this story unfolded. My heart broke but it was put back together by the end. She nurtured each of the characters bringing them to a place in their lives that seemed realistic.

I adored the characters. Simone and Reed were perfect for each o
Mo
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had a longer review done but deleted it. It deals with a delicate subject matter ...

I enjoyed the book. It flowed really well. There were no real "who dunnit" moments or shock moments. You sort of knew what was going to happen most of the way throughout the book.

Loved the setting on the coast of Maine.

Liked the main characters. Loved CiCi.

Hot sex scenes - forget it! I didn't mind.

Myrna
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Shelter in Place, Nora Roberts dishes out a sensitive/timely tale with a gut punching opening. It’s been a while since I’ve read a Roberts novel but in this one she continues to have compelling characters and twists. For the most part this was a gripping read, full of suspense with a touch of romance. I think it’s a must read for the romantic suspense fan.
Anne OK
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-arcs, 2018-reads
Meeting today’s headlines head-on with a mass shooting, Nora Roberts’ latest release may be a trigger (no pun intended) for many readers. I admit that the blurb left me a bit hesitant.

Roberts expertly creates a realistic story where the lives of two teenagers are forever changed in just eight short minutes. Shelter in Place is agonizing and harrowing with an intense view into long repercussions of violent crime, filled with a cast of characters that readers won’t soon forget. The psychological a
Veronique
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

Another great thriller! Roberts grabs you from the first page and doesn’t let go! Found myself having to keep reading, mesmerised by the narrative, and finishing the book in just over a day!

Let’s start with the characters. Roberts is excellent at this, putting together some very compelling protagonists that you end up really understanding. And this includes the ‘baddies’. She writes truly heinous baddies with their own biased logic and feelings. Again, in this aspect, she reminds me of Steph
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
4.5 Surviving Stars

I Honestly struggled with how to review this one - with all the mass shootings in our conflicted society today, which seem to be happening in alarming frequency, I knew going in it would have to take a talented author to tackle a subject that many would find taboo and even fewer would attempt to write about something so tragic and a very real scenario. That said this book kept me enthralled. I was drawn into this story, a story that starts out so gut wrenching and heart brea
Anita
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) provided by the Author and Publisher in exchange for an fair and honest review.

Suspense - Thriller - Nasty Baddie all work great. This book has a Psychopath Baddie worthy of Karen Rose. The romance, well, let's just say it's a step above the cozy variety and leave it at that. The ratio I'd give it is: Romance - 1% Suspense - 99%. This book works great on the Suspense/Thriller level, on the Romance level - not at all. But, by the time the H/h meet we readers already kno
Graylark
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense-romance
I didn’t like the heroine and couldn’t feel the chemistry between the hero and heroine. The heroine’s grandmother had more chemistry with the hero than the heroine did. I greatly enjoyed the relationship between the hero and the grandmother so much more than the boring one he had with the heroine.

The romance, such as it was, comprised about 15% of the surprisingly long book. The rest of it was the shooting in the past; after which came many, many POVs, including the killer and the victims.

There
Chris
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 averaged stars - 🖐🏻Shooting Alert🖐🏻this story starts out innocently enough with some teens going out to a movie theater at the mall, but turns into a planned mass shooting by three other individuals.

There is the usual teenage behavior in play; close girlfriends out, concern/confidence in looks, pressure of sex by one the boyfriends, what does the future hold, etc. The mall is busy; there are a lot of people out and about in the stores, kiosks, theater, restaurants.

Once the shooting begins,
Helen
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Nora Roberts’ latest reads a lot like one of her JD Robb books, with a serial killer on the loose. Instead of Eve Dallas, though, we’ve got Reed Quartermaine, small town cop who won’t let go of the case even though the FBI tells him to get lost.

The story starts with three teenage boys shooting up a shopping mall/theater, leaving dozens of people dead and many more injured. Then it explores the lasting impact the event had on the survivors. Then, because she is writing suspense, we need a villain

• Untouchable (Cutler, Sutter & Salinas, #3)
  • Connections in Death (In Death, #48)
  • The Other Lady Vanishes (Burning Cove, #2)
  • Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2)
  • Deep Dark (Tracers, #10)
  • Protecting Piper (Wilde Ways #1)
  • The Dog Walker's Diary
  • Such A Pretty Girl (FBI, #2)
  • The Ultimatum (The Guardian, #1)
  • Because I'm Watching (Virtue Falls, #3)
“Two of the top rules—Try Not to Hurt Anybody, and Have the Balls to Say What You Think—often clashed, but the results blended with her Be An Asshole When Necessary rule, so it worked for her.” 3 likes
“everyone knows that while we have to go on, we can never, should never, forget.” 2 likes