Laurel County Public Library discussion

Reading Challenges > POPSUGAR Reading Challenge 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Debra Diggs (last edited Dec 14, 2018 02:37PM) (new)

Debra Diggs | 1574 comments .

Duration: Jan 1, 2018 - Dec 31, 2018
Completed: 40/40

[✔] A book made into a movie you’ve already seen - The Graduate by Charles Webb - March
[✔] True crime - See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt - February
[✔] The next book in a series you started - The Boy on the Bridge by M.R. Carey - January
[✔] A book involving a heist - The Moonspinners by Mary Stewart - March
[✔] Nordic noir - The Snowman by Jo Nesbø - November
[✔] A novel based on a real person - To Sir, With Love by E.R. Braithwaite - January
[✔] A book set in a country that fascinates you - September by Rosamunde Pilcher - February
[✔] A book with a time of day in the title - I Saw Her That Night by Drago Jančar - April
[✔] A book about a villain or antihero - I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara - July
[✔] A book about death or grief - Sugar by Bernice L. McFadden - February
[✔] A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym - Out of Africa by Karen Blixen writing as Isak Dinesen - November
[✔] A book with a LGBTQ+ protagonist - The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid - January
[✔] A book that is also a stage play or musical - Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - May
[✔] A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you - A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - February
[✔] A book about feminism - I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai - March
[✔] A book about mental health - The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - January
[✔] A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift - The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn - March
[✔] A book by two authors - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - January
[✔] A book about or involving a sport - If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock - baseball - May
[✔] A book by a local author - The Coal Tattoo by Silas House - December
[✔] A book with your favorite color in the title - The Cat Who Saw Red by Lilian Jackson Braun - December
[✔] A book with alliteration in the title - Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo - May
[✔] A book about time travel - Life After Life by Kate Atkinson - February
[✔] A book with a weather element in the title - Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life by Annie Spence - March
[✔] A book set at sea - Kolkata Sea by Indra Das - December
[✔] A book with an animal in the title - The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell - April
[✔] A book set on a different planet - Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence - June
[✔] A book with song lyrics in the title - Gold Dust Woman: A Biography of Stevie Nicks by Stephen Davis - January
[✔] A book about or set on Halloween - Dead Leaves: 9 Tales from the Witching Season by Kealan Patrick Burke - November
[✔] A book with characters who are twins - The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz - March
[✔] A book mentioned in another book - Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (mentioned in Dear Fahrenheit 451) - January
[✔] A book from a celebrity book club - The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (Oprah) - February
[✔] A childhood classic you’ve never read - A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin - March
[✔] A book that’s published in 2018 - The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah - March
[ ✔] A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner - The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas - November
[✔] A book set in the decade you were born - Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury - April
[✔] A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn’t get to - Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman - January
[✔] A book with an ugly cover - Painfully Rich: The Outrageous Fortune and Misfortunes of the Heirs of J. Paul Getty by John George Pearson -January
[✔] A book that involves a bookstore or library - The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession by Allison Hoover Bartlett - February
[✔] Your favorite prompt from the 2015,2016, or 2017 Popsugar Reading Challenges (2015 - A book with a one-word title.) - Chocolat by Joanne Harris - January

message 3: by LCPL (new)

LCPL Krystyna | 2290 comments Mod
Debra wrote: "I started this challenge in January. This is what I have so far.

Duration: Jan 1, 2018 - Dec 31, 2018
Completed: 33/50

[✔] A book made into a movie you’ve already seen - [book:The Graduate|710..."

Oh wow! That's awesome. You have completed a lot of the challenges.

message 4: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1574 comments For the first part of this year, it went well. Almost every book I read fit into a slot. Not so now. I will have to change how I do this or I won't get done.

message 5: by LCPL (new)

Debra wrote: "For the first part of this year, it went well. Almost every book I read fit into a slot. Not so now. I will have to change how I do this or I won't get done."

I started out pretty strong this year as well. But, again, where I am a mood reader, it is kind of difficult haha.

message 6: by LCPL (last edited Jun 02, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

I checked the True Crime challenge off of this list. I read I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara and absolutely loved it. Highly recommend.

message 7: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1574 comments One more book marked off. Grey Sister for a book set on another planet.

message 8: by LCPL (new)

Debra wrote: "One more book marked off. Grey Sister for a book set on another planet."

Awesome! I need to check off a few books on that list. I need to see what other challenges I have left.

message 9: by Debra Diggs (last edited Aug 04, 2018 04:05PM) (new)

Debra Diggs | 1574 comments I checked off Book About A Villain with I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer. Originally, I was thinking of a fiction book for this. But I believe this nonfiction book fits okay.

message 10: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1574 comments Marked off 2 more books. Only 4 more to go.

message 11: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1574 comments Whew. Completed.

message 12: by LCPL (new)

Debra wrote: "Whew. Completed."

Congratulations!

message 13: by Debra Diggs (last edited Dec 21, 2018 12:35PM) (new)

Debra Diggs | 1574 comments Thanks : )

I ended up doing just the regular challenge. Not the advanced.

message 14: by LCPL (new)

Debra wrote: "Thanks : )"

You're welcome. I posted the link to the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge for 2019 if you want to take a look. I think that some of the challenges are interesting, to say the least.

message 15: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1574 comments I keep thinking about the 2019 Popsugar Challenge, but I don't know. Probably won't do it. I have quite a few other challenges lined up for next year. Then there are always buddy reads and group reads I want to join. So....still thinking about it.

message 16: by LCPL (new)

Debra wrote: "I keep thinking about the 2019 Popsugar Challenge, but I don't know. Probably won't do it. I have quite a few other challenges lined up for next year. Then there are always buddy reads and group re..."

Well, if you decide to participate it will be linked. I think it is great to participate in a variety of reading challenges and group reads. You can discover new authors and new favorite books that way. I hope you had a great year of reading!