The Sword and Laser discussion

Phony friend requests

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments Anyone else getting a ton of obviously fake and Russian friend requests? I’ve had at least a dozen over the past couple months.

These people — which are probably bots — have no books read, have no photos and few details, and are obviously phony. One, named something like “AnneJones202”, even had Cyrillic in its information fields.

What could their goal possibly be? I assume there’s some method to steal our private information, but I don’t know how that would work.

message 2: by Malaraa (new)

Malaraa | 90 comments I dunno what they're trying to do, but yeah, I get them too.

message 3: by Clyde (last edited May 29, 2018 07:39PM) (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 437 comments Yup. I've had a few. I just ignore them. Is there a way to report them as suspected fakes/bots?

Update: I just added a challenge question for friend requests. Perhaps that will filter some bots out.

message 4: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 524 comments Got one recently that linked me to a site where I could get free book downloads - presumably illegal ones!

They had taken the time to personalise it, in as far as it referenced a book I'd recently rated / reviewed.

message 5: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Maybe they're trying to get Goodreads users Amazon credentials? I don't know if some people have the two accounts linked. *shrug* Either way it's dumb.

message 6: by DJay (new)

DJay (djdjay) | 20 comments I added questions as well. I was getting a ton of request myself. I added one by accident, but going back through my friends list, it seems as if the account has been deleted.

message 7: by TraceyL (new)

TraceyL | 76 comments I get a bunch of these. They all say you can get a free copy of this book here: and give a link. The funny thing is they are always books on my read list which I already own legally. I just Block them all.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul (modquokka) | 4 comments Nope ... I obviously don't meet their target audience criteria;

*sigh*

So said Eeyore...

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Paul wrote: "Nope ... I obviously don't meet their target audience criteria;

*sigh*

So said Eeyore..."

That was my first thought. No fishing bots want to be my friend. I'm sad.

message 10: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments I had one guy join Vaginal Fantasy trying sell herbal boner pills. Some people have no shame.

message 11: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1729 comments Mod
Sean Lookielook wrote: "I had one guy join Vaginal Fantasy trying sell herbal boner pills. Some people have no shame."

HAH!

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments A long time ago I had a guy who seemed to be looking for an American woman who would marry him so he could become a citizen - that was funny.

I haven't had the Russian bots, I don't think. I don't get friend requests that often and I generally just hit okay and forget about it. Now I'm going to have to look through them.

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments And...looks like I have a couple - recent, no books. Interestingly, one has a picture, 3 are "from" Brooklyn, NY, and all of the accounts were created years ago but not active until now.

Two of them had this - еrоknіgі.afsx.xyz - in the "About Me" section.

message 14: by Phil On The Hill (new)

Phil On The Hill (philonthehillexon) | 249 comments There is a link on the friend request to report them to Goodreads. Lower right I think.
Such a pain.

message 15: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 144 comments I had one this morning - but when I went looking for details on the person (bot?) making the request it had already disappeared. It seems likely that someone had already reported it and Goodreads had taken it down.

message 16: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2556 comments I have been getting a few a week. All of the 'free' books they mention are things I have already read so the bot or programmer is obviously not very smart.

message 17: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2931 comments I was feeling left out but... I just got my first one!

message 18: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4222 comments Michele wrote: "I haven't had the Russian bots, I don't think. I don't get friend requests that often and I generally just hit okay and forget about it. Now I'm going to have to look through them."

This.

message 19: by Sean Lookielook (last edited May 31, 2018 11:08PM) (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments I just got some religious spam on VF, but the account had been sitting idle since 2012. I'm guessing someone's sold a batch of fake accounts for the purpose of spamming the forums. These accounts may also target your DMs if you friend them.

message 20: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 657 comments I've received several of these fakes as well. I forwarded the first one to Goodreads, but it took me awhile to find a way to do so, and I don't recall exactly how I did it. I did get a response thanking me for alerting them to it and that they blocked the fake account.

I've received several since then but haven't bothered to alert GR again.

message 21: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments Sean Lookielook wrote: "I just got some religious spam on VF, but the account had been sitting idle since 2012."

Yeah, I was waiting for you to see those posts. ;-)