The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENTS > Rewards of the Challenge Update

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5332 comments Mod
We're changing up how we determine the 50 point task. Beginning with the Summer 2018 Challenge, we will be trying the following:

5. THE 50 POINT MIDPOINT TASK - A task idea submission thread will be opened on the day that the 5-30 point tasks become final at the start of a challenge, on or around the 12th day of the first month.

The 50 point task will require:
1. 3 options.
2. One book per option.
3. Three books totaling at least 750 pages.
4. No books with the genres children or kids on the main book page may be used.
5. Books whose main page lists any of these genres: Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga may not be used.
6. No “free choice” options will be allowed. This is a challenge, so tasks that have no element of challenge do not fit the purpose.
7. A task must be accessible to the majority of players, i.e. not limited to a specific format, edition, publisher, etc. and reviewable by the moderators.

Anyone eligible* to design a task may submit an idea (or ideas- each in a separate post, please) for a task that follows the general guidelines above. Your idea should be a sketch that may be developed with the moderators.

* To be eligible to create a task, the player’s profile must be set up to accept Goodreads messages, and he/she must not have a task in the current challenge. Only one task per person per challenge.

The submission thread will be open until the last day of the first month of the challenge.

The group will vote to determine the 50 point task. All ideas that fit the general guidelines will be included in a poll that will open on the first day of the second month of the challenge and run for one week. If the voting is close at the end of the poll, a runoff poll for the top vote-getting ideas will then be opened for 3 days. The poll winner will develop their idea with the moderators to refine their task. The final task may differ from the original idea submission. The task will be posted as close to the midpoint as reasonably possible. The task creator will monitor and answer questions in the help thread.

Have you ever thought we were missing an obvious bonus theme task opportunity? Do you have a great idea for a task, but know you could never complete the challenge? Here's your chance to have an opportunity to design a task!

As we try this out this first season we may need to move or change deadlines, etc. We will be flexible as we see how this plays out. We thank you in advance for your patience.

We've been moderating this group since the Summer 2010 challenge, and we will continue to NEED your task idea input. It is the creativity of this group that makes it so much fun. Please continue to contribute ideas to the upcoming challenge task ideas thread. We can't do this without you.

message 2: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments how fun!

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7897 comments Ohhh me likely!

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 428 comments Is this new way of doing the 50 point task just a test run or is it going to be permanent?

message 5: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2696 comments Sounds like an intriguing idea.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16703 comments Mod
Valerie wrote: "Is this new way of doing the 50 point task just a test run or is it going to be permanent?"

everything new is a test run until we see how it works out.

message 7: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2745 comments i like it

message 8: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments I think this is a great idea and a way for more people to get involved with tasks who may not otherwise. Really hope it works out!

message 9: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments I love this idea, thanks to the mods for thinking of it. There are so many people who just can’t read anything like the number of books needed to complete the challenge and this feels like a great way for people with less reading time to have a chance to create a task. I’m also really looking forward to seeing what ideas people have. :-)

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments I also like this idea ... but wonder if it should be limited to ONE idea per member. (This would avoid the possibility that one member might submit six ideas and be in the run-off by him/herself.)

Lost Planet Airman | 179 comments I've got a good feeling about this!
Thank you - this should be fun, whether it sticks or doesn't!

message 12: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1353 comments Oh I so love this idea!

message 13: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 428 comments I love that idea! It sounds like a great way to give everybody a chance to create a task.

message 14: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2745 comments just a question
can you tell how many people have read this update? - the number of comments make it seem surprisingly low - I think it is a great chance for people to get involved and I hope we get loads of ideas.
I know the number of comments does not necessarily reflect the number of people who have read the thread but I just wondered is there is anyway of increasing its prominence. Could there be a link to the suggestion page in the Task page for instance.

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Marie (UK) wrote: "just a question
can you tell how many people have read this update? - the number of comments make it seem surprisingly low - I think it is a great chance for people to get involved and I hope we g..."

According to the info at the top of the thread, there have been 98 views.

message 16: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2745 comments Sandy wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "just a question
can you tell how many people have read this update? - the number of comments make it seem surprisingly low - I think it is a great chance for people to get invol..."

oh right never knew that was there Thanks Sandy

message 17: by SRC Moderator (new)

The 50 point task idea submission thread is open. You may submit your entries until the end of the day on June 30.

We can't wait to see what you come up with!

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I think this is a fabulous idea! Hope there is a lot of participation!

message 19: by SRC Moderator (new)

The 50 Point task poll is open!

The task idea descriptions are in the 50 Point Task Ideas topic in the Contest Entries folder.

The poll will be open for one week. you may vote until the end of the Goodreads day on July 7.

message 20: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1981 comments Are there any rules about whether people suggesting a task should vote?

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Julia wrote: "Are there any rules about whether people suggesting a task should vote?"

Everyone can vote.

message 22: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1981 comments Thanks

message 23: by SRC Moderator (new)

Please note that the entrants to the 50 point task contest have changed.

* To be eligible to create a task, the player’s profile must be set up to accept Goodreads messages, and he/she must not have a task in the current challenge. Only one task per person per challenge.

Please review your poll vote and make a new selection if an ineligibility has impacted your vote.

message 24: by SRC Moderator (new)

Congratulations, Julia 103! Your proposed 50 point task idea has the most votes in the poll.

All of the ideas submitted were interesting, and all of us on the SRC appreciate your creativity and interest in putting together a proposal for the 50 point task. Hang on to those great ideas!

message 25: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Oh well:-(
congratulations, Julia 103!

message 26: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2745 comments congrats

message 27: by SRC Moderator (new)

The 50 point task idea submission thread is open. You may submit your entries until the end of the day on September 30.

We can't wait to see what you come up with!

message 28: by SRC Moderator (new)

The 50 Point task poll is open!

The task idea descriptions are in the 50 Point Task Ideas topic in the Contest Entries folder.

The poll will be open for one week. you may vote until the end of the Goodreads day on October 7.

message 29: by SRC Moderator (new)

Congratulations, Shree! Your proposed 50 point task idea has the most votes in the poll.

All of the ideas submitted were interesting, and all of us on the SRC appreciate your creativity and interest in putting together a proposal for the 50 point task. Hang on to those great ideas!

message 30: by Lost Planet Airman (last edited Oct 09, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Lost Planet Airman | 179 comments (Removed, per message 32)

message 31: by Bea (last edited Oct 10, 2018 05:23AM) (new)

Bea | 4253 comments (Removed)

message 32: by SRC Moderator (new)

Bea wrote: "I, too, have a clarifying question. One of the authors I chose, Ariana Franklin, first wrote under her own name (Diana Norman). Then she switched to her pseudonym (Ariana Franklin). The book I want..."

These questions are premature- the task has not been posted yet. When the task is posted you may ask questions in the help thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.