The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
CONTEST ENTRIES > Summer Challenge 2018 50 Point Task

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 14, 2018 06:13AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5344 comments Mod
This is the thread where you can submit a task idea for the 50 Point Task contest. The thread is open for submissions and will close at Midnight Eastern time on June 30, 2018. Voting will start the next day July 1 and run for one week closing at the end of the day on July 7. If the moderators determine that the vote is close, a 3-day runoff poll will be held. The person whose idea gets the most votes will host the 50 point task for the Summer Challenge.

The 50 point task will require:
1. Only 3 options.
2. One book per option.
3. Three books totaling at least 750 pages. Your task idea may require a higher page threshold but this must be disclosed in your entry.
4. No books with the genres children or kids on the main book page may be used.
5. Books whose main page lists any of these genres: Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga may not be used.
6. No “free choice” options will be allowed. This is a challenge, so tasks that have no element of challenge do not fit the purpose.
7. A task must be accessible to the majority of players, i.e. not limited to a specific format, edition, publisher, etc. and reviewable by the moderators.

Anyone eligible* to design a task may submit an idea for a task that follows the general guidelines above. Your idea should be a sketch that may be developed with the moderators.

* To be eligible to create a task, the player’s profile must be set up to accept Goodreads messages, and he/she must not have a task in the current challenge. Only one task per person per challenge.

The group will vote to determine the 50 point task. All ideas that fit the general guidelines will be included in a poll. The poll winner will develop their idea with the moderators to refine their task. The final task may differ from the original idea submission. The task will be posted as close to the midpoint as reasonably possible. The task creator will monitor and answer questions in the help thread.

Please include your readerboard name and a title for your task. The entries will be listed by readerboard name and task title in the poll. Please include only one task idea entry per post.

PLEASE DO NOT comment on people's entries in this thread - this is for submissions only - you will be able to comment when voting begins. Comments will be deleted.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7904 comments so this idea has been floating around my head for a while - so here it goes

Delicious Dee
salute to my series (in progress)
I don't know about you guys but I have a ton of different series in progress, so this series is all about them.

For this purpose of this challenge - a series is definited as at least 3 books set in the same world with reoccurring characters. main characters may be the same (i.e. Eve/Rourke from In Death) or different in each book.

Book A - read the NEXT book in a series you currently have in progress - this book cannot be a re-read;
Book B - read a book where the AUTHOR shares the name with a main character as the book you read for book A; names MUST match exactly, but name position may differ.
Book C - read a book where the main character shares a career/job with a SECONDARY character in Book A.

For example: i'm reading the In Death series.
Book A: Calculated in Death (I just finished up book 35, so this is book 36)
Book B: Kodiak's Claim - Eve Langlais - the main character in the In Death series is EVE dallas, who shares the name with Eve Langlais
Book C: Still Midnight - the main character is a detective, who shares a career/job with Detective Peabody - a secondary character in the series

*If you don't have any series books in progress - you can start either a series I have in progress or of one of the Mods

message 3: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2233 comments Coralie

Theatrical Wordplay
The letters of the word THEATRE (regardless of how you spell it) can be used to make many other words here are THREE ideas using some of those words.

1. Because love is both a THREAT to your HEART and a TREAT for your HEART, read a book with main page genre 'romance'.

2. HERE and THERE - Read a book whose title is a location.

3. HEAT THE EARTH - Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) about climate change.

message 4: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 14, 2018 06:13AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5344 comments Mod
Marie (UK) wrote: "

From post 1
PLEASE DO NOT comment on people's entries in this thread - this is for submissions only - you will be able to comment when voting begins.

Comments will be deleted.

message 5: by Claire (last edited Jun 17, 2018 11:16PM) (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Dulcinella
"Run, dance, delirious, possessed"
So speaks the choir in The Bacchae.

My original training and profession was teacher Latin/Greek. Later I became a librarian and organizer of cultural live manifestations( theatre, dance, musical,...) .
Thus I was and am very interested in ancient civilizations and theatre. A lot of tasks were calling me, but this I propose:

The origin of modern theatre can be found in Greek theatre.
Very famous are the Athenian plays ( authors are Aeschylus Sophocles and Euripides) in which the main character usually is a mythical and tragic hero.
Another famous genre in Greek theatre was comedy (esp. those of Aristophanes)

For this task we’ll get you possessed :

1. Run into history!
Read a novel set in antiquity ( before 500 A.D). If the timing is not clear on the GR MP, make sure to explain with evidence.

2. Dance through tragic events.
Read a tragedy or a novel with a tragic hero from one of these lists
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/... ( first 5 pages)

3. Get delerious reading comedy.
Read a funny book from one of these lists:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/5...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...

Please note the following demands:
1. Your three books must be at least 750 pages in total
3. Books with the genres children or kids on the main book page may not be used.
5. Books whose main page lists any of these genres: Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga may not be used.

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1981 comments Julia103

Do-Re-Mi

One of my favorite musicals is The Sound of Music. This task is based on the song "Do-Re-Mi" where Maria teaches the Von Trapp children the basics of singing.

Book 1: Read a book where the first word of the title starts with one of the solfege syllables: DO, RE, MI, FA, SOL, LA or TI

Book 2: Read a book whose title/subtitle includes one of following words used in the song:
DOE, RAY, ME, FAR, SEW, LA, or TEA

Book 3: Read a book where the author's first name matches one of the Von Trapp children or the English equivalent given in parentheses:
Liesl (Lisa)
Friedrich (Frederick)
Louisa (Louise)
Kurt (Curt)
Brigitta (Bridget)
Marta (Martha)
Gretel (Greta or Margaret)

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 428 comments VAL TX

RIP Kate Spade, Anthony Bourdain, Inés Zorreguieta

Depression is awful. It takes too many lives every single year, month, day. The media recently started talking about mental illness more often than they usually do because three notable people died of it in June of this year. They were artists, pioneers, friends. Let’s honor and remember them always.

1 - Kate Spade was the founder and former co-owner of Kate Spade New York. The bags she designed became a fashion movement and statement. In the aftermath of her death, lots of women posted tributes to her by taking pictures of their first Kate Spade bag. Carrying their bags made them feel confident, ready to take on the world.

Read a book written by a single female author who was born in either the US State of Missouri or New York City, Kate’s birthplace and adult residence respectively. If the birthplace is not listed on GR, please provide a reference/external link when you post.

2 - Anthony Bourdain was a chef, author, and TV personality of numerous travel and food shows. He started publishing books and appearing on television in his 40s, proving that success in these two mediums can come at any age. Anthony was also a passionate feminist, once telling a journalist, “Write this down: I’m a f----ing feminist.”

Read a book with the MPG “Food” and/or “Feminism”, standalone or embedded.

3 - Inés Zorreguieta, the sister of Queen Maxima of the Netherlands, was an accomplished woman in her own right. She worked for the United Nations for a few years and spent time working for Argentina’s government. Inés also loved music, going to school to study it and participating in music festivals. There’s a video that was circulated after Inés's death of her showcasing her passion, covering Amy Winehouse’s “Take the Box”.

Read a book whose title/subtitle contains a word of at least three letters found in the lyrics of Take the Box. “The” and “and” are excluded. Words must match exactly.

message 8: by Ed (last edited Jun 17, 2018 05:01PM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 717 comments A Clockwork Orange

This Autumn (November 22) marks the 25th anniversary of the death of one of my favorite authors, Anthony Burgess. Burgess was also an accomplished composer.

Book 1- For this task, Read any book by Burgess or any other writer who was born in The United Kingdom during Burgess' lifetime (1917-1993)

Book 2- Burgess' novel "Earthly Powers" was nominated for a Man Booker Prize. For this task, read a book that was either nominated or won the Man Booker Prize....see list at https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...

Book 3- One of Burgess' most noteworthy books is "A Clockwork Orange". For this task read a book that appears on this list of the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels- Modern Library 100 Best Novels - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments 50 point idea – Summer 2018

Theatre, Drama, Musical, Dance

Read three books; one for each option. Total page count must be 750 or higher.
No books with the genres children or kids on the main book page may be used.
No books with the genres Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga may be used.

A) Triple Crown of acting are the three major acting awards in the USA: Oscar, Emmy, Tony (movie, television, stage)
Read a book by an author whose First & Last initials match the first & last initials of one of the performers who has achieved the Triple Crown of Acting. See THIS LIST for the names of the actors.
Required : Identify the actor.

B) Film historians often rate 1939 as “the greatest year in the history of Hollywood.” Ten movies were nominated that year for the Academy Award for Best Picture:
Dark Victory / Gone With the Wind / Mr Smith Goes to Washington / Ninotchka /
The Wizard of Oz / Stagecoach / Goodbye Mr Chips / Love Affair / Of Mice and Men /
Wuthering Heights
Read a book where the 1st letter of each word of the title in included in ONE of these movie titles. 3-word book title minimum. All words count. Ignore subtitles.
Required : Identify the nominated movie.

C) Nine musicals have won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Two of these are NOT set on the US mainland: South Pacific and Sunday in the Park With George.
Read a book set on a tropical island -or- set in Paris, France. At least 50% of the action must be in the referenced location. If the setting is not obvious from the main book page metadata, please provide a link to a reference that identifies the setting.

message 10: by Pam (last edited Jun 18, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Bluegrass Pam

My Grandson's Songs

Read three books; one for each option. Total page count must be 750 or higher.
No books with the genres children or kids on the main book page may be used.
No books with the genres Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga may be used.

My 5 year old grandson just spent 10 days visiting with us. This task is designed around three songs that I heard him listening to and singing.

Book 1: Hickory, Dickory Dock
Read a book that has a timepiece (e.g. clock, watch) on the cover
Required: - Post the cover and identify the object.

Book 2: Counting from 1-10
Read a book that is part of a series (as indicated on Goodreads) AND is in the range of #1-#10.
Required: State the # in the series.

Book 3: Johnny, Johnny
When I heard him singing this song, I thought he was saying, "Donny, Donny" but discovered the song's title is "Johnny, Johnny".
Read a book with a main character, author, translator, or illustrator with one of the following names: John, Johnny, Jon, Jonathan, Don, Donny, Donald. The name can be in any position. Multiple authors are allowed but only one needs to fit the criteria.
Note: I have included translators and illustrators since I like translations and my grandson and I both like illustrations.
Required: State the matching name and the person's contribution (author, translator, illustrator) or that he is a main character.

message 11: by Heather(Gibby) (last edited Jun 28, 2018 12:02PM) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 989 comments Book Spine Poetry
Ever notice when you have a stack of books sitting on your bedside table, that they make a funny commentary, or form a nice poem?
I love playing around with Book spine Poetry.
For this task read three book whose titles read like a poem.
Here are some :
examples

Book 1: This book title will form the first line of your poem
Book 2: This title will be the second line of your poem
Book 3: This will be the third line of your poem.

Required: Provide links to all books, but also write out your poem without the links.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.