Start by marking “Calculated in Death (In Death, #36)” as Want to Read:
Calculated in Death (In Death, #36)

Calculated in Death

(In Death #36)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  19,473 ratings  ·  1,308 reviews

A well-off accountant and a beloved wife and mother, Marta Dickenson doesn't seem the type to be on anyone's hit list. But when Eve and her partner, Peabody, find blood inside the b
Published February 26th 2013 by Putnam Adult (first published February 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Calculated in Death, please sign up.
Alyssa Passaretti Because her extra stories in the Anthology's don't count as full books they count as .5 like silent night aka Midnight in death is listed as 7.5 on…moreBecause her extra stories in the Anthology's don't count as full books they count as .5 like silent night aka Midnight in death is listed as 7.5 on here instead of book 8 in the series. I hope this helps.(less)

·  19,473 ratings  ·  1,308 reviews

Siang
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
May there be many more In Death books to come.
Jen
Another great read with Eve and Roarke in the year 2060! I absolutely love the In Death series! It is the longest series I know of with approximately 46 books under JD Robb’s name! JD Robb is better known as Nora Roberts; and she proves that she can not only write heartwarming love stories but also fascinating crime/murder mysteries. What I love about the In Death series is the characters in it. Eve and Roarke are the main characters and mostly everyone who has read these books falls hard for th ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Another book. Another murder. Yet none of it feels old or redundant. Visiting Eve and Roarke in CALCULATED IN DEATH is like catching up with old friends. You never seem to get tired of reading about them.

On the Upper East Side, a woman is found dead at the bottom of a staircase, missing her valuables. The victim is named Marta Dickenson and as a successful accountant and a loving mother, she is the last person suspected to be targeted for a hit. Because of that, most cops would conclude that it
Jilly
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A mystery about accountants and accounting stuff? Count me in!! (haha, see what I did there?)

Okay, so maybe the world of accounting isn't the most exciting thing out there, but don't worry because we get to learn about shell corporations, dummy companies, and tax shelters - so it's edutainment.

Okay, so maybe I don't want to learn about those things and just want to read about bloody murders in the future where there are flying cars and machines that cook for you. But, still - it was readable.

O
Hulya Kara Yuksel
I just love this series so freaking much. ❤❤❤
Eve & Roarke are the best couple that I've ever read. 😍😍😍

Mo
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"On Manhattan's Upper East Side a woman lies dead at the bottom of the stairs, stripped of all her valuables. Most cops might call it a mugging gone wrong, but Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better."

“That's a lot of vegetables.
"It is, yes, and if you eat them like a good girl..." He lifted the silver lid on another plate, revealed a small pizza, with pepperoni arranged into a smiley face.
She tried to give him a stony stare, but the laugh won out. "You think you're cute, don't you, pal?"
"Adorab
Livia
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing

In my opinion, CALCULATED IN DEATH is one of the best in the series. The premier of the movie based on one of Eve's cases is finally about to happen. Before Eve and Roarke and the gang can party, she must first solve the murder of a wealthy accountant. It's a good old fashion mystery that is exciting from beginning to end. In the background lurks the issue of Eve having to get all gussied up for a fancy party. It's true In Death fun!
♥Sharon♥
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What can I say that I haven’t already said before? It is all repetitive I know but the In Death Series is truly one of a kind. I have never read a series beyond say 7 or 8 books with such desire to read on. And now I find myself having finished 36. It is just crazy!

I adore Eve and who she is. I wish I could be as badass as she is. Throughout the series Eve evolves. Not drastically but enough to appreciate the change in her. She'd be the first one to tell you she never expected to be as happy as
Kjen
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another most excellent installment of my favorite series! Lots of interesting plot/case twists and turns and a really bad 'bad guy'...blah, blah, blah...lol...I know, what about Eve and Roarke, right?!!? Eve and Roarke are awesome!(; Ahhh, no spoilers, though. So many parts to love...just a few...Roarke makes a unbelievably sexy nurse, the work out scene, the whole freaking incredible ending, Roarke's boy-o comment about the knife...I could go on and on! Oh, and Eve's character is really growing ...more
Ren Puspita
Sep 11, 2012 marked it as own-unread
Shelves: own-mass-market
But when someone steals the files out of Marta's office, Eve must immerse herself in her billionaire husband Roarke's world of big business to figure out who's cruel and callous enough to hire a hit on an innocent woman

Oh, it will be interesting! To see Eve in Roarke's business will be hilarious! :D
(and yes, I still want many monkey sex between them)
Sarescent
Feb 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
After a devoted wife and mother is murdered in what appears to be a botched mugging, Eve Dallas and her billionaire genius husband Roarke delve into the world of white-collar crime and financial intrigue. This is another solid but unexceptional effort in what was once a truly brilliant series. I feel like I harp on this every time I review a new In Death book, but the plots are so lackluster now. It truly depresses me because I've read the older books until the pages fell out.

So, delving in, Dal
Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog)

Eve, Roarke, Peabody and the rest of the gang are back to solve another case; this one involving the murder of a likable accountant. The book gets off to a slow start, primarily due to the story being bogged down with too many similar suspects to keep straight, but things pick up considerably about one quarter of the way through. In fact, I’m pleased to say that although this is the thirty-sixth novel in the In Death series it manages to sustain a fresh feel. The book contains many of t
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
It’s the middle of winter and you are tired of looking at brown grass, your boots are getting far to scuffed and you are just tired of opening the coat closet doors. “What I need”, you say to yourself,” is a day at the beach”. A tropical getaway and a good stiff drink.

Calculated in Death has none of that. But as far as the read, it’s all that. Oh how I missed you guys! I gave Calculated in Death 5 stars. Yes 5 stars just because it was a breath of fresh air. Stay with me here folks. Cause ya mi
Cathryn Chandler
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jd-robb
I’m a big Nora Roberts fan, and out of all the series she’s written—I like the books she’s produced under her pseudonym of J.D. Robb the best. Set about fifty years into the future, and starring the outstanding characters of murder cop Eve Dallas and her husband/lover multi-billionaire Roarke, the series now spans over 30 volumes. And I have read every one of them at least 4 times, definitely putting me into the category of “BIG” fan.
Calculated in Death is the 36th entry into the JD Robb series.
Trisha
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
From my blog:

The Good: In Death books are always good for giving the reader a good and complicated crime to solve. Not all of the books are a whodunit but this one was. I was guessing who the killer(s) was clear up until the reveal. Then again, I never figure that out in books, TV, or movies for that matter. Robb is good at giving the reader more than just a crime story to read. She weaves the character's personalities and relationships with each other throughout the story.

The Bad: I didn't like
Mei
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Another fantastic idea!
Anna Serene

This was the most boring In Death book I've ever read. I get that this is book 36 in a series, and I should probably be grateful that the vast majority of the books have not been like this one, but this was BORING. Even Eve and Roarke were boring in this one. I hope the next one is significantly better.
Ann Lou
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series hasn't let me down yet and I believe never will.  After 36 books, I still want more of Eve's ass kicking. Roarke's too perfect beyond words but I wouldn't mind having him for a night or two *shameful grin* And the rest of the gang?  They all make this series worth so much reading.  I feel like we are family already.  *my sentimentality is showing*

Anyhoo, we have calculated killings in this one. According to Eve, stupid but calculated.  I have to admit, I am not really a fan of numbe
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: NC-17
Steaminess: Steamy
Overall: Back to basics with Dallas and the crew
Characters: Well written
Plot: Blue collar crime going murderous
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Roarke

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
This series has been a stable for me. The earlier books were great and they still continue now to be good. However, before Dallas used to say no to kids ever. I got the sense in this book that things may change. Any
Awilk -never sleeps-
There really isn't anything to say about this book. After so many of these In Death books, it is like visiting old friends. I do enjoy my now twice yearly visits, and as soon as one comes to an end, I start looking forward to the next one.
Almost everyone was here. There was a couple missing, but hopefully they will turn up next time.
The storyline was what I expected. Well written and fast. There is never enough Roarke for me, but I did enjoy him playing nurse in this one.
Now it is time for me to
Diane
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another great In Death book - lots of suspects, very good story line - some really good banter between the main characters.

I would like to know who edits these books though - 2 things jumped right off the page at me - "Harvo" was called "Harpo" again and Peabody was refered to as "Officer" Peabody when she was introduced to one of the interviewees. Blatant errors!

It's still a very good read and for those who think the book is anticlimatic, well everything after NY2D is anticlimatic!

5 stars and
Kathryn
Another interesting story, although perhaps not as suspenseful as some of them. Susan Ericksen again narrated this so well. Loved how she does the voice of Peabody. Pacing, intonation and expression is perfect.
Venus Blancia
Though I find the villain weak, I love the characters overplayed the drama in the crime scene. I like how McNab and Roarke outwitted the World's famous hacker, Peabody turned her guts into damsel in distress, Eve played a little acting over Hollywood premier, and all the flying babies. I don't know what is with JD Robb that though this is already the 36th but I could not imagine that there are still so many things happening in each book not to mention that there are lot more to discover especial ...more
Meg
This one had me tearing up while listening in the car, not a good place for vision impairment! An innocent wife and mother becomes a murder victim and it's heartbreaking.

Eve Dallas catches the case and hunts down the coldhearted perpetrator in her indomitable, methodical way. Eve is once again a heroine to be greatly admired and cheered on (though she would hate to hear such praise; in her words, it's her job and she's there to stand up for the dead).

Thank y0u, Nora Roberts, for continuing to gi
Heather
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery
Calculated in Death sends Eve down the accounting rabbit hole, where she has to rely on Roarke and a few others for insight into the world of audits and big business. There’s still plenty of fun for Eve, however: she needs to figure out which business big-shots are lying to her, who actually did the killing… and oh yeah, she’d better catch the guy soon, because he’s gotten a taste for it now and is upping his game.

Calculated in Death eases off a little from the somewhat over-the-top confrontatio
Lindig
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
I've been a big fan of this series from the beginning but it's become a bit boring and predictable in the last few books (since New York to Dallas, which I think should have been the last book). Yes, it's good that Eve is dealing with her demons but it's begun to flatten her out into a less edgy character. When I saw that this book was going to deal with accounting and money, I thought Roarke was going to be more of a main character, possibly dealing with more of his early years, but no, it was ...more
Lyndi W.
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
We know who the bad guy is by the halfway point, so I read half of the book waiting for the epic confrontation that never happened. -1 star for that.

Roarke was especially yummy in this book. Some other reviewer said Roarke isn't a book-boyfriend, but a book-husband. I totally agree. There's nothing temporary about a man that'll burn the world down for you. Roarke is the human version of Raphael from Guild Hunter - if you haven't made the connection before, you're welcome.
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, sci-fi, romance
This was kind of boring to me. I wasn't interested in the financial aspects or the type of serial killer, and there weren't any notable character interactions. I'll still chew up the rest of the volumes in the series, but this one is skippable.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
The Short and Sweet: If you enjoy this series, you'll like this book. More of the same things that make it appealing.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine. http://affairedecoeur.com.

Anastasia
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Calculated In Death by J.D. Robb is the 36th book in the In Death series. Eve Dallas investigates the death of an auditor whose murder is set up to look like a mugging but instead finds that her death has ties to her work in the business and financial world. Another amazing and very entertaining book with the background of preparing for the premiere of the movie based on the Icove investigation. I especially love the way that Roarke looks after Eve, tending to her injuries as well as trying to k ...more
J.D. Robb : Calculated In Death (Spoiler Zone) 76 215 Jan 28, 2017 05:03AM
Honest opinions ... ? 21 120 Sep 02, 2015 08:26AM
Should I read this book? And is it any good? 6 41 Aug 27, 2015 06:44AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Calculated In Death (July 2015) - Spoiler Zone 92 55 Aug 05, 2015 06:04PM
Chronological 4 31 Dec 08, 2013 05:49PM

• Twice the Temptation (Samantha Jellicoe, #4)
  • Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Whiskey Beach
  • Taking Eve (Eve Duncan, #16)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • The Mystery Woman (Ladies of Lantern Street, #2)
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • Striking Distance (I-Team, #6)
  • The Boy with the Painful Tattoo (Holmes & Moriarity, #3)
  • Just Jory (A Matter of Time #5.5)
  • Festive in Death: by JD Robb | Summary & Analysis
  • The Interludes (In the Company of Shadows, #3)
  • Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“That's a lot of vegetables.
"Adorable."
"In this case, you can have adorable. Ow!" She managed the stony stare when he slapped her hand away from the pizza.
"Vegetables first.”
30 likes
“Wow, colorful. I think the kid’s head plowed into me. He came at me like a mortar. Pow! Skull meets tits. Tits lose.” 20 likes