Catch-22
This topic is about Catch-22
PAST Group Reads 2018 > Catch-22- June- SPOILER THREAD

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marnie (new) - added it

Marnie (marniekeister)

message 2: by Denise (new) - added it

Denise Lauron (dlauron) | 13 comments I am just starting this book.

Shannon | 3 comments I finished it a few days ago and thought it was really interesting. Not a book I would usually pick up but I think the whole point of the Great American Read is to get us out of our comfort zones. Without any spoilers- while the writing style was not my favorite I think the author used it to show the mental state of the main character. Parts of this book were really humorous to me and parts were so heartbreaking. I don’t think I’ll read it again anytime soon, I’m glad I did finish it.

message 4: by Roseanne (new) - added it

Roseanne I have always wanted to read this. I never find the time.

Colleen  | 47 comments I read this a few years ago - not an easy/light read, but well-done, humorous & thought-provoking. Basically about war and how insane it is. I'm glad I read it too, just to get more classics under my belt.

Paula Loretta wrote: "One I've always wanted to read but haven't yet but based on some posts here maybe it's time to crack it open, eh? 🤗"

Lots of quirky characters and some really funny stuff. The basic premise is a pilot wants to go home because he is tired of always having the number of combat missions he must complete increased. Some compare it to M*A*S*H*, but they're similar only in that they're both humorous, have those aforementioned quirky characters, and make fun of the military. Enjoy!

Rosemarie I read this a few years ago and can understand it is an important anti-war book, but I really didn't think it was funny. Humour is a very personal thing, so other readers may not share my opinion. But I can see why this book made the list.

Colleen  | 47 comments I think it was more of a dry, ironic wit vs. an over-the-top-laugh-out-loud funny.

Rosemarie It certainly did have a lot of irony.

Colleen  | 47 comments Exactly Rosemarie.

message 11: by MJD (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJD Having never been in the military myself I was not able to relate to the satire of military life, but I was able to relate to it in the sense that it relates to college life and corporate life which I do have experience with.

message 12: by MJD (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJD For a completely opposite take on military culture, nationalism, etc. I would recommend Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.

(Note: If you have watched the film you should know that not only is the movie only a lose adaption, the movie plays as a satire of the book itself.)

Jacinta | 70 comments I tried this book once a few years ago and gave up on it after 100 or so pages because I thought the joke had landed and was going on for too long. Last year, I decided to give it a second shot and stuck with it through the end. I'm glad I did. That growing feeling of tedium and absurdity began to needle in a different way than on the first read. Rather than feel frustrated that the BOOK was going on for too long, I became frustrated that the WAR was. On that second read, I became more immersed in Yossarian's experience and felt a real sense of despair. It wasn't fun to read, despite all the humor/irony, but it felt important to read.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Starship Troopers (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert A. Heinlein (other topics)