Horror Aficionados discussion

Relic (Pendergast, #1)
This topic is about Relic
Group Reads > June 2018-CREATURE FEATURE READ-The Relic

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Char  | 16821 comments Mod
The winner of our creature feature poll is Relic! Here's a place to discuss it. Please be careful of spoilers and happy reading!

message 2: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha (latasha513) | 11277 comments Mod
i'll be joining this one. I'm on a wait list on overdrive so I have no idea when that will be.

Alan | 5520 comments Mod
I read this book 20 some years ago when nobody had heard of Preston & Child (as this was their first book).

message 4: by Marie (last edited May 27, 2018 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marie | 3719 comments I will joining in on this one - this was the first book I ever read by them and I still have the original paperback book that I had bought years and years ago. This will be a treat as I haven't read it since it first came out! :)

message 5: by Ambie (new)

Ambie | 0 comments I actually received this as a gift so I'll be joining in :)

Melanie | 1656 comments I just picked up a 2nd hand copy this weekend at a sale so I'll be here too.

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) I picked up a second hand copy a few days ago - so I will be joining in too! :)

Lena | 2492 comments Available on Scribd as of 6/2 so I’m in!

message 9: by Tyler (new) - added it

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments I definitely plan to join in! I'll be able to get a copy, probably by the 10th or 11th (Amazon Prime is awesome) and then i'll join in, same with the other group read The Cellar :)

I haven't read any Preston & Child before but it certainly sounds interesting!

Char  | 16821 comments Mod
Excellent! I hope we have a great turnout. :)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 31 comments I’m in

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6428 comments Mod
I've read this one twice before, but long enough ago that a re-read is something I'm looking forward to!!! Definitely in for this one. :)

Richard (richardsb) | 1 comments Read Relic many years ago - great choice!

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I just read Relic last year. It’s too soon for me to repeat it, I think. That said: I think you guys are in for a lovely treat. I found it a little formulaic, but there’s a reason for formulas. Followed correctly and ably, they are pretty satisfying. I hope you all enjoy the heck out of it!!!

Sherry (sanappa) | 1 comments Can't wait to read it!

message 16: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami | 210 comments I love this book! Read it about 10 years ago, then listened to the audio of it last month. XD I’m not going to read it again so soon, but I will be joining in on the conversation about it! :D Can’t wait to see what everyone thinks!

Mike in Mass | 21 comments I also read it about ten years ago. All I will say is you picked a great book.

Melanie | 1656 comments Has anyone else seen the movie? It's from about 21 years ago but i loved it and have seen it about three times.

message 19: by Latasha (new) - added it

I haven’t.

message 20: by Tyler (new) - added it

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments I haven't actually heard of it at all before this. Then again 21 years ago I was only 8. *Googles it-the movie actually came out exactly a month before I turned 8*

Not why I was googling it, I wanted to see the rating, and being R and me a tiny child...yeah lol. Though I think I had seen IT by Stephen King by this time, definitely before I was 10 though...and that's also rated R....

It sounds interesting though and looking forward to reading it :)

message 22: by Tyler (new) - added it

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments Lena wrote: "Relic
https://youtu.be/JDn8P57-l9o"

Thanks, I have it bookmarked so I can watch it after I read it :)

message 23: by Latasha (new) - added it

Stephanie wrote: "Lena wrote: "Relic
https://youtu.be/JDn8P57-l9o"

Thanks, I have it bookmarked so I can watch it after I read it :)"

I'm going to do the same. maybe we could have a group watch? yay or nay?

message 24: by Latasha (new) - added it

well that looks fun.

message 25: by Tyler (new) - added it

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments That does look like fun. I'd be up for a group watch

message 26: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2492 comments I’d love a Friday night movie night reboot. That was a lot of fun. After we read the book?

Melanie | 1656 comments Group watch after the read sounds great, it'll be at an odd time for me though, I'm Southern Hemisphere.

message 28: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2492 comments Plus 17hours, that was will be interesting. Friday night did us, Saturday afternoon for you?

Melanie | 1656 comments Yep. I'll probably watch it on my Friday night with some chocolate and a merlot a nice cup of tea and a bickie.

message 30: by Latasha (new) - added it

great! we should make it near the end of the month that way most people should be done reading it.

message 31: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (delphyne) | 69 comments This is one of my favorite creature features. I hope you guys love it like I did.

message 32: by Shaun (new) - added it

Shaun Horton | 316 comments I started this a long time ago, but life got in the way of me finishing it. I'll be picking up where I left off, about 45% in, but I loved the movie so I'm looking forward to using this group read as an excuse to finish it!

message 33: by Vavita (new) - added it

Vavita I will do my best to join this one.

Melanie | 1656 comments Living in New Zealand often means missing out on some of the things you Northerners get access to, but.....it does mean we're a day ahead of you all, so being the 1st here already I started my Relic party this morning. Pretty good so far :)

message 35: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa | 515 comments I'm in! I haven't read much "creature" horror, but, it sounds great.

I can't wait to start this one again, now!

message 37: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2492 comments It available for me tomorrow!

message 38: by Latasha (new) - added it

I'm on a wait list, I don't know if I said that before or not.

Latasha wrote: "I'm on a wait list, I don't know if I said that before or not."

I should have saved my original copy--I donated it to the library after they came out with a S/L edition... (*shiny*....)

message 40: by Latasha (new) - added it

Kimberly wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I'm on a wait list, I don't know if I said that before or not."

I should have saved my original copy--I donated it to the library after they came out with a S/L edition... (*shiny*..."

ohh! I bet that's pretty.

Latasha wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I'm on a wait list, I don't know if I said that before or not."

I should have saved my original copy--I donated it to the library after they came out with a S/L ed..."

That was one I got as a gift (I think it was from CD...I remember it taking YEARS to get here).

message 42: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2492 comments Sounds like CD.

message 43: by Latasha (new) - added it

Kimberly wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I'm on a wait list, I don't know if I said that before or not."

I should have saved my original copy--I donated it to the library after they came o..."

oh wow, I would've forgotten about it. so it would've been like a double surprise when it finally arrived.

Latasha wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I'm on a wait list, I don't know if I said that before or not."

It was! I had almost forgotten about it when the notice came! I have one book that's been paid for over 7 years now and still doesn't have a Table of Contents. :P

message 45: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2492 comments I have friend that’s been waiting on CDs limited edition version of Turn Down the Lights since 2013. I have four to six books from them on order, I stopped checking when I realized just how long my wait would be.

message 46: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2492 comments Just started the audiobook!

Melanie | 1656 comments Just over a hundred pages in, it's quite different from the movie although the D'Agosta character is the same, and still my favourite.

Marie | 3719 comments I started reading it yesterday - well early hours of the morning and I had forgotten how quick I could become involved in reading it as I ended up on Chapter 11 as I could hardly put it down! lol :)

message 49: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2492 comments I’m on chapter 20 and really enjoying it, especially Pendergast.

message 50: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami | 210 comments I remember watching the movie way back when (my parents did not care if I watched R rated movies and I was already watching Romero's zombie movies by 5 with no problems other then already making my emergency plan for if zombies broke in to my house. -my 5 year old brain came up with the grand plan of just smearing red lipstick all over me and then just laying down and pretending I was dead already until the zombies wandered away leaving me untouched somehow. Don't worry, I have a much better zombie survival plan now days. XD )

I liked the movie when I first saw it.

10 years ago, when I read the book for the first time, I realized the movie and book where the same... After reading the book I watched the movie and......

was extremely disappointed. BUT... I have a very hard time dealing with characters being changed in movies when they are based on books or comics. It drives me BANANAS. Yes, I know, it is a different form of entertainment and sometimes things need to be cut for blah blah blah reasons, yeah yeah yeah.... but.... it still drives me nuts.

After listening to the audio last month, I went ahead and watched the movie again. And I was still aggravated. SOOOOOO much of the book is cut out. -.-

« previous 1 3