You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Team 1 - One Team to Find Them All

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2018 07:02AM) (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments Hi Team 1!!

Lanelle
Annerlee
Kristie
Margo
Anna
TrudyAn
Lynn
Valerie

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 26, 2018 10:14AM) (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments Hi team 1! I figured I'd start us a chat thread. :) We need a team name so if anyone has any ideas just throw them out there.

Also, if anyone would like to start a reporting thread and be our points tracker, please feel free to speak up. This should be a pretty easy one to track. We just get 10 points for every book reported.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 26, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments My initial thought for the toppler is to start with The Summer Children (The Collector, #3) by Dot Hutchison and maybe The Mourning Hours by Paula Treick DeBoard . I'm not 100% on The Mourning Hours, but it's a good possibility since I already own it.

message 4: by Lanelle (last edited May 26, 2018 01:52PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Thanks for starting our team thread, Kristie.

Lame names I've thought of:
Searching for the One
Book Hunting 101
Find 1t!
One Team to Find Them All (over done, I know)

message 5: by Margo (last edited May 26, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

Margo | 10290 comments How about Ready Players One, or a play on that?

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 26, 2018 03:50PM) (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments Oh, I'm not going to be much help! I like them all! Annerlee, Anna, TrudyAn?? Opinions?

message 7: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Kristie, do you think Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll has an egg on the cover?

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 26, 2018 04:14PM) (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments It has an egg, Margo, but I'm not sure if it's the main focus of the cover. I'm really looking for covers that shout the item. So for egg, I'd be thinking something like: The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell
I think we want to be careful about inching away from the item being the centerpiece of the cover.

message 9: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Oh crumbs! I didn't read the rules properly at all. Thanks Kristie, I will need to reveiw all my selections.

message 10: by Annerlee (last edited May 26, 2018 05:17PM) (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Hi there team members! We have a really cool team!

Re team title...
I quite like 'One Team to Find Them All'. It's corny but kind of clever too. And it made me laugh 😀

I havent read all the toppler categories yet, so I'm going to have a proper look.

message 11: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments Hi team! I don’t have any team name suggestions to add, and I think all of the current suggestions are great. My favourites are Searching for the One and Ready Players One.

I usually read quite a few books during a toppler week, but currently a family member is facing some health issues, which is consuming a lot of my time. I have a few short-ish books that fit the list, and I’ll do my best to get through as many as I can! I’m glad it is a straightforward toppler this time round.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments Oh! Do you think I didn’t explain it well, Margo? Should I clarify it better or did you just misread?

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments TrudyAn, sorry to hear about your family member. Don’t worry about how much you can read, just do what you can.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Good morning! I'm rubbish at thinking up names....I really like One Team to Find Them All.

I will be gophering today for possible books.

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments I've updated our title to One Team to Find Them All. :) I'll get rid of the team 1 once everyone sees it.

message 16: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Kristie wrote: "Oh! Do you think I didn’t explain it well, Margo? Should I clarify it better or did you just misread?"

You explained it perfectly Kristie, it was my bad :( I was a bit distracted yesterday and didn't read it properly.

message 17: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments That's a great name Lanelle :-D

message 18: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Margo wrote: "That's a great name Lanelle :-D"

Thanks, Margo. I agree with Annerlee, "It's corny but kind of clever too. And it made me laugh 😀"

message 19: by Lanelle (last edited Jun 09, 2018 08:49AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Kristie, please let me know if any of these books don't focus enough on the item.

Here's what I've gophered: (view spoiler)

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments Nice, Lanelle! I think they all fit.

message 21: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Kristie wrote: "Nice, Lanelle! I think they all fit."

Woot! Thanks, Kristie.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been through my shelf & Kindle and have the following books I can pick from.

(view spoiler)

I will definitely read one of these and may even get two books in depending on how my week goes.

message 23: by Margo (last edited May 29, 2018 02:44PM) (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Here are my possibilities:

(view spoiler)

I can listen to between 3 and 5.

message 24: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2789 comments Just checking in .... off to find some books

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments Ok, so I did some gophering and came up with a bunch of books that I can read if I make it to a third book or a may even use one as book 2, I haven't decided yet.

I'm definitely starting with The Summer Children (The Collector, #3) by Dot Hutchison

Then, I have these options:
The Mourning Hours by Paula Treick DeBoard First Frost (Waverley Family, #2) by Sarah Addison Allen Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles, #1) by Amanda Hocking With Love from the Inside by Angela Pisel Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin Fractured by Catherine McKenzie Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #1) by Louise Penny Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple Louisiana Longshot (Miss Fortune Mystery, #1) by Jana Deleon

And I can't decide if these two fit:
Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward The only picture there is a bird, but it is sort of hidden by the words. I hadn't considered this. I suppose it still works.
Big Rock (Big Rock, #1) by Lauren Blakely Ok, the ring really is the up close and center picture, but really what is your eye drawn to? I'm trying to decide if the guy in the back completely negates the ring in the front. lol

message 26: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Lynn wrote: "Just checking in .... off to find some books"

Welcome to the team, Lynn.

message 27: by Margo (last edited May 29, 2018 02:59AM) (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Kristie wrote: "Ok, so I did some gophering and came up with a bunch of books that I can read if I make it to a third book or a may even use one as book 2, I haven't decided yet.

I'm definitely starting with [bo..."

On your 2 undecided, applying your rules, I would say they both fit. Take away the title on the first and all you are left with is bird! On the second cover, it really is the ring that catches the eye first.

My dodgy one is [bookcover:The Virgin Suicides|10956] The shoes are what catches my eye first but I don't think they are prominent enough.

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

message 28: by Annerlee (last edited May 29, 2018 03:21AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments These are the books I've found. I think I should manage at least 3 or 4
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Kristie wrote: "Ok, so I did some gophering and came up with a bunch of books that I can read if I make it to a third book or a may even use one as book 2, I haven't decided yet.

[-]
Ok, the ring really is the up close and center picture, but really what is your eye drawn to? I'm trying to decide if the guy in the back completely negates the ring in the front. lol..."

Well... my eye was drawn to the ring first, but my focus definitely shifted ... and didn't stray back! The book description is something else.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments The Virgin Suicides will work, Margo. I've been letting people use legs with shoes.

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments Hahaha, Annerlee. I showed it to my husband and he was like what ring!! lol He was dying because I'm usually anti-romance, but the audio book is only 6 hours! I'll probably set a good example and choose something that fits better. :)

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments I had to go read the book description for that one after Annerlee mentioned it. lol

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments Sarah wrote: "I had to go read the book description for that one after Annerlee mentioned it. lol"

hahaha...it's something lol

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments I just realized that I had planned to read Dark Water (DCI Erika Foster, #3) by Robert Bryndza this month. I started it earlier and planned to get back to it, but haven't had a chance yet. If I don't get back to it in the next day or two, I could restart it for the toppler. I wasn't that far in anyway.

message 35: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments I just went online to see what ebooks my library had that would fit the Zany Zodiac challenge for June. I found June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2) by Jess Lourey . It's only 241 pages. Maybe I'll hold off reading it until the Toppler starts.

A few more covers by the same author that might fit are: January Thaw by Jess Lourey May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1) by Jess Lourey September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5) by Jess Lourey

message 36: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Too funny, Lanelle. I already used May Day for my ZZ challenge and the other three "months" have already been covered by other books or I would jump on them. The first book was okay and they are short enough - and available from my library, but I don't think I can bring myself to want to read them.

message 37: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Cherie, I saw some reviews that compared the Month-by-Month mysteries to the Stephanie Plum series. Have you read any of those books, and would you agree?

message 38: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Lanelle - I've read all of the Stephanie Plum books up to #23. I'm half glutton for keeping it up so long because I loved the characters. Many of the stories were really funny and the audiobook versions made them even better. The problem is - the characters never change and after that many stories they just become old. Plus, you read the same bits of character background in every book. It feels like the author has a boiler plate and she just changes a few things around and prints out another story. I decided she wasn't getting any more of my money.

I cannot say much about the monthly named series. I don't know anything beyond the first book. In my opinion, the story summary sounds a lot more exciting than the actual story was. It was ok. Amusing in places but overall, I couldn't buy the story line and the way the plot was carried out. I don't know if the other books in the series feature the same MC or not.
If the other books you showed could have filled a month slot on my ZZ challenge, I might have been willing to give them a try for the toppler criteria. They should be quick reads and the page length is just right for team topper fare.

message 39: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments Hi everyone! Is there anyone that would like to be scorekeeper for our team? Or would you like to try something different this time where we all keep track of our own points and report them at the end? I can start a reporting thread if no one wants to step up and be score keeper.

message 40: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments Hi all, joined at the last minute, excited for another toppler! Still need to gopher but I should be able to read a couple books. Kristie, I'm up for being scorekeeper if no one else is.

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments Welcome, Valerie! That’s great! If you want to keep score, you just need to start a new thread for us to report our reads in and add ten points every time someone finishes a book. You can keep track of how many each person reads if you like, so everyone can confirm their totals at the end.

message 42: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Welcome to the team, Valerie. And thank you for volunteering to be our scorekeeper!

message 43: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Valerie wrote: "Hi all, joined at the last minute, excited for another toppler! Still need to gopher but I should be able to read a couple books. Kristie, I'm up for being scorekeeper if no one else is."

hi valerie. great to have you as a team-mate again :-)

message 44: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments Hi Lanelle and Margo! Thanks! The reporting thread has now been created.

Did some gophering and debating on whether to continue my typical plan of using topplers as a way to read several (short) Agatha Christie books (since I'm trying to read them all eventually) or maybe something else instead. These are kind of the top contenders, let me know if you all think any of these might not count. Will probably only manage 2 of these, maybe 3 if I'm lucky.

A Natural History of Dragons
A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1) by Marie Brennan

By the Pricking of My Thumbs (unfortunately I can't find my cover on goodreads, but it has a very large flower on the front)

Endless Night Endless Night (again, my cover isn't on goodreads, but it's a small house in front of a large moon)

Maltese Falcon
The Maltese Falcon by Hammett Dashiell (this isn't my cover but mine is similar, has just a statue of a bird on it)

Sad Cypress
Sad Cypress (Hercule Poirot, #22) by Agatha Christie

message 45: by Lanelle (last edited Jun 01, 2018 03:56PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Valerie, what do you think about changing the title of our reporting thread to
'One Team Found Them All (Team 1 Reporting)'? *shrug* Just an idea.

message 46: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Lanelle wrote: "Valerie, what do you think about changing the title of our reporting thread to
'One Team Found Them All (Team 1 Reporting)'? *shrug* Just an idea."

That's a cool idea.

Really happy you've joined the team, Valerie : D

message 47: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Valerie wrote: "Hi Lanelle and Margo! Thanks! The reporting thread has now been created.

Did some gophering and debating on whether to continue my typical plan of using topplers as a way to read several (short) ..."

Valerie, A Natural History of Dragons is on list for this toppler. Hope I get to it!

message 48: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Lanelle wrote: "Valerie, what do you think about changing the title of our reporting thread to
'One Team Found Them All (Team 1 Reporting)'? *shrug* Just an idea."

I agree with Lanelle. That name would read better.

message 49: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments Okay, reporting thread name has been changed.

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15237 comments I need to re-evaluate the two books I’m going to start with. I just realized that they are much too similar to start at the same time. If I’m trying to read them quickly, I may confuse them.

« previous 1 3