Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
This topic is about The Queen and the Cure
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Harmon, Amy-- The Queen and The Cure informal buddy read starts June 25, 2018

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Queen and the Cure by Amy Harmon.

Synopsis
"There will be a battle, and you will need to protect your heart."

Kjell of Jeru had always known who he was. He'd never envied his brother or wanted to be king. He was the bastard son of the late King Zoltev and a servant girl, and the ignominy of his birth had never bothered him.

But there is more to a man than his parentage. More to a man than his blade, his size, or his skills, and all that Kjell once knew has shifted and changed. He is no longer simply Kjell of Jeru, a warrior defending the crown. Now he is a healer, one of the Gifted, and a man completely at odds with his power.

Called upon to rid the country of the last vestiges of the Volgar, Kjell stumbles upon a woman who has troubling glimpses of the future and no memory of the past. Armed with his unwanted gift and haunted by regret, Kjell becomes a reluctant savior, beset by old enemies and new expectations. With the woman by his side, Kjell embarks upon a journey where the greatest test may be finding the man she believes him to be.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 23, 2018 04:58PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Geri | 2042 comments Thanks for starting the thread! Looking forward to Kjell’s story.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Yay! I'm excited to read this installment.

Laura | 9707 comments I'll be back next Monday; sorry couldn't start this one today but can't wait to read it!

Laura | 9707 comments Geri and Suzanne are you both closer to reading this?

message 8: by Geri (last edited Jul 06, 2018 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I can start this when you can, Laura! The book is available through Hoopla and I can borrow at any time. Just let me know when you want to start.

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Geri,
I still can't wait to read this. Ha as you have figured out I'm slow with all these buddy reads! Do we want to start on Tuesday? Does that work for you?

message 10: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Geri,
I still can't wait to read this. Ha as you have figured out I'm slow with all these buddy reads! Do we want to start on Tuesday? Does that work for you?"

Sure!

Suzanne | 4268 comments I just came to check and see if it is even possible to join in this one, now that I have stuff cleared out a bit. Looks like the answer is yes - yay! Starting next Tuesday seems fantastic to me!

Laura | 9707 comments A lot of Harmon's books are free on Kindle Unlimited. This one isn't but less than 2.50$ is great! I'm going to check out Hoopla.

message 13: by Laura (last edited Jul 09, 2018 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 9707 comments I had to wait for people today so started this one. I'm 20% in.
Through chapter 4
(view spoiler)

message 14: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I read through chapter 6. Once again the writing and story are good!(view spoiler)

message 15: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "I had to wait for people today so started this one. I'm 20% in.
Through chapter 4
[spoilers removed]"

Harmon writes emotional, passionate romance. I think you will be happy how this progresses!

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "I read through chapter 6. Once again the writing and story are good![spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

I may have to bump this one up....From Sand and Ash

message 17: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Read through chapter 13. This is an exciting and surprising story! (view spoiler)

This is a quick read, Laura. I will try to have this finished by Friday.

Laura | 9707 comments Ok , I 'm right behind you. I finished Chapter 12 last night before I fell asleep. I agree it's a quick read and I will have it finished tonight or tomorrow evening.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I had one of those nights, not much sleep. So I was able to finish the book. So exciting in some parts! Loved the scenes with the Volgar. Harmon knows how to write those. And yes, the romance was heartbreaking at times. I liked how their romance developed too.

(view spoiler)

I will read another by this author. This was a sweet romance. A little predictable. But I did sigh a few times and got my HEA.

message 20: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Ok , I 'm right behind you. I finished Chapter 12 last night before I fell asleep. I agree it's a quick read and I will have it finished tonight or tomorrow evening.

Now that Kjell has accepted..."

Yeah, not sure how Harmon does it, but she sucks me in to the story very easily and makes me care what happens to the characters.

I listened to the audio so did not know how they spelled the Queen’s name. That is a pretty name!

Suzanne | 4268 comments I'm almost halfway through, and I agree it is a sweet romance. Clearly some bad things are in store (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Suzanne wrote: "I'm almost halfway through, and I agree it is a sweet romance. Clearly some bad things are in store [spoilers removed]"

I liked seeing (view spoiler)

message 24: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Suzanne wrote: "I'm almost halfway through, and I agree it is a sweet romance. Clearly some bad things are in store [spoilers removed]"

You have a lot of exciting things to look forward to!

message 25: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Finished

I bet the pronunciation of the Queen's name is different that I have been saying! I loved this book too. I gave it a 4 star. If I had to choose which book I loved more it would be the fi..."

The narrator pronounced her name like Seer-Sha. Probably not the way you were saying it in your head.

(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments I just finished - wow you were so right - I did have so many great things to look forward to. I really enjoyed it. I also like being able to comment to others that read it, since I can't put the same types of things in my review.

(view spoiler) So yes - it was a total fairytale (in a good way) and I loved it!

Laura | 9707 comments @ Geri & Suzanne
(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments Laura - great question! (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments (view spoiler)

message 30: by Geri (last edited Jul 16, 2018 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "@ Geri & Suzanne
."

That’s a difficult question to answer for me! There are always disadvantages to every choice. It would be fun to be a shifter, though. I would love to be able to fly like a bird. Not sure I’d want to be a healer since every time I used the power, my life would be shortened by a day. Selfish of me, I know! LOL

message 31: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Suzanne wrote: "Laura - great question! [spoilers removed]"

I found the guy with the booming voice hilarious. And yeah, it would be great to have the metabolism of a shifter! LOL