Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires, #1)
This topic is about The Aeronaut's Windlass
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Butcher Jim ; The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires #1) ; Informal Buddy Read ; Starts 7 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod

Synopsis
Jim Butcher, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Dresden Files and the Codex Alera novels, conjures up a new series set in a fantastic world of noble families, steam-powered technology, and magic-wielding warriors…

Since time immemorial, the Spires have sheltered humanity, towering for miles over the mist-shrouded surface of the world. Within their halls, aristocratic houses have ruled for generations, developing scientific marvels, fostering trade alliances, and building fleets of airships to keep the peace.

Captain Grimm commands the merchant ship, Predator. Fiercely loyal to Spire Albion, he has taken their side in the cold war with Spire Aurora, disrupting the enemy’s shipping lines by attacking their cargo vessels. But when the Predator is severely damaged in combat, leaving captain and crew grounded, Grimm is offered a proposition from the Spirearch of Albion—to join a team of agents on a vital mission in exchange for fully restoring Predator to its fighting glory.

And even as Grimm undertakes this dangerous task, he will learn that the conflict between the Spires is merely a premonition of things to come. Humanity’s ancient enemy, silent for more than ten thousand years, has begun to stir once more. And death will follow in its wake…

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Here! Team Draco.

I love Jim Butcher. Not sure why I was having a hard time with this book.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Bought this on a whim because it was on sale. Ive only read the first book in the Dresden files, but plan to contonue eventually.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I love his other two series. Excited to see how I like this one.

message 7: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 4835 comments Ohhhh. Team Snape

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Hi Stacie!

message 9: by kat (wanderfulbooks) (last edited May 28, 2018 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments If I weren't going on a trip I would've wanted to start already. The hardcover's a bit heavy for me to carry around.

Hi Stacie!Joining in? Let's snake in (see what I did there?lol) more people!

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Haha!

Yes, this book is a door stopper! I was going to bounce between the audio and reading it.

Jenny | 5866 comments Hi, Jenny from team Remis Lupin here!
May I join in? I just read this for Quidditch, and really liked it. Happy to discuss.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Yes, please! The more the merrier.

I’m starting today.

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Hi all! I'm from Team Tom Riddle and I just read this book, too, for Quidditch. I started it on June 4th and finished it just over seven hours later on June 5th. (Audio at 3x speed is great!)

I even tracked the story while it was playing so fast! (Of course, I was also reading along.) :-)

I was reading my paperback edition (The Aeronaut's Windlass) for the first time. This was a reread for me, as I first read - and reviewed - it in hardcover in November of 2015.

I am pleased to report that I enjoyed it even more this second time through it. I upped my 4.5-star rating to the full five stars and, thanks to my playing the audio so fast, Gwen wasn't as objectionable to me. (She was still rather annoying, but I didn't have or take the time to dwell on it, like I did on my first read-through.) :-)

Also, I was pleased to note that the continuity issue I found in Chapter 58 of the hardcover seems to have been edited out of the paperback release. :-)

I laughed and cried during my reading, but once again I can't remember where I cried. It probably involved a scene with Ferus and/or Folly? But I just don't remember. (Sorry!) I really love Ferus and Folly, though. They're delightful!

Other favorite characters include Grimm and his crew aboard the AMS Predator, and Bridget Tagwynn - Littlemouse! - and Rowl. :-)

Gwen's cousin Benedict was also a great guy. (And an excellent foil for his cousin, Gwen: the scene when she meets the Spirearch is fabulous!) :-)

Another reason for my upping my star rating is because I didn't finish this book until 5:30 in the morning - after dawn! - but I never felt like pausing even though I normally go to bed by about 2:00 in the morning. So this story kept me awake and reading. :-)

And I think that's all of what I can think of to say right now. I hope you all will enjoy it! I'll hope to participate if you get to discussing anything. :-)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Interesting start to the book! A little mother-daughter mind game, and it worked beautifully. :)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Jen, I'm amazed you can listen at 3x speed! I have a hard time following at 1.5x. I usually listen at 1.3.

This book is huge on audio. I think my app said 52 hours.

Jenny | 5866 comments I'm amazed at the quick read audio that so many people are doing. I have never have listened to a book on anything but regular speed. Doesn't it make the narrators sound silly?

I plan to reread this one soon. I read it in the same match that Jen did. (Jen, sorry about all the brouhaha around that chain. It got weird. But, I do appreciate that you introduced me to this book- I wouldn't have read it otherwise).
Since I read it non-stop and so quickly, which is not how I usually read enjoyable books, I'm sure I missed some nuances. It was very hard to not slow down and savor all of the Little Mouse and Roul scenes. Those were my favorites.

Also, besides looking forward to a sequel, I wouldn't mind a movie. The visuals in my mind of the airships is really cool, but I'm guessing that a good special effects team will do even better.

message 17: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Michelle wrote: "Jen, I'm amazed you can listen at 3x speed! I have a hard time following at 1.5x. I usually listen at 1.3.

This book is huge on audio. I think my app said 52 hours."

Audible has it at 21h,46m. At 3x speed, that's about 7h,15m. :-)

I CAN read/listen at 3x speed, but I really prefer to read at 2x speed. At 3x, I REALLY have to focus hard to keep track. 2x is much more leisurely for me. Especially as I have trouble focusing nowadays. But I was mostly successful with the audio of this book. The story is just so good! :-)

message 18: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Michelle wrote: "Interesting start to the book! A little mother-daughter mind game, and it worked beautifully. :)"

Yep. It also cemented my love for Gwen's mother. :-)

message 19: by Jen (last edited Jun 07, 2018 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Jenny wrote: "(Jen, sorry about all the brouhaha around that chain. It got weird. But, I do appreciate that you introduced me to this book- I wouldn't have read it otherwise)."

No worries, Jenny. I was astonished that you finished it so much earlier than me, when you started it after me, but it's all good. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Also, I too hope to reread (relisten to?) the audio edition at a more leisurely pace sometime in the future.

At the faster speeds, you tend to lose the nuances in the dialogue portions. Such that everyone starts to sound the same. And some performers do sound silly. But it mostly works for me. Although 2x speed is better than 3x for distinguishing voices from one another. :-)

Any slower than 2x and, if I'm reading along, I continually have to pause and wait for the performer to catch up.

If I'm not reading along, sometimes going slower than 2x drives me absolutely batty, because they read "so slow." About the only time I can make a go of listening to entire books at 1x "normal" speed is if I'm in the car and driving. (But even there, Magic Shifts on audio was P-A-I-N-F-U-L in this one scene. I had to relisten at a faster speed to really enjoy that audiobook.)

Jenny | 5866 comments I tend to listen to books when I am at work- I own/ run a picture frame shop- so unless I am using the saw, or helping a customer, I've got a book going. It's wonderful to be entertained while working. Other than that, I read hard copy books. I have read more on Kindle this past week than I ever have before. Still like real books better.

I have never read along with an audiobook either, I think the slowness would drive me crazy as well.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'd like to join this one! Trying to finish a couple books tonight then will start tomorrow.

message 22: by kat (wanderfulbooks) (last edited Jun 08, 2018 08:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I just started. I'm 4 pages in and Wow! I don't know what to make of Gwendolyn. I take it that she seems to be sure of herself but I do not like the way (view spoiler) I really hope so.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Ah ignore my first comment. Chapter 1 was fun! That was a cute (view spoiler)

message 24: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments *hehehe* Kathleen. I actually found Gwen to be my least favorite character the first time I read this book. There's a scene later and. . . *ugh*

But on my reread, listening to it at 3x speed (and reading along), I found that I tolerated her better. Maybe because (view spoiler) by the end, but more likely because playing the audio that fast didn't give me time to dwell on her character. ;-)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Jen wrote: "*hehehe* Kathleen. I actually found Gwen to be my least favorite character the first time I read this book. There's a scene later and. . . *ugh*

But on my reread, listening to it at 3x speed (and..."

I'm tempted to click the spoiler tag but I will resist until the end! :))

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I’m up to chapter 17. Doing the audio during my runs and my commute, but only on 1.5x. I can’t do faster or I lose my place.

I wasn’t sure about Gwen, but she has really grown on me. Loving Grimm, Bridget, Rowl and Benedict.

And I am totally pulling for Bridget and Benedict to fall madly in love and conquer the world together.

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Michelle wrote: "And I am totally pulling for Bridget and Benedict to fall madly in love and conquer the world together. ..."

I want this, too. :-)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Rowl was a character I didn't expect! Talking cats, whoah! So far I like Benedict and Rowl!

(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Jen wrote: "Hi all! I'm from Team Tom Riddle and I just read this book, too, for Quidditch. I started it on June 4th and finished it just over seven hours later on June 5th. (Audio at 3x speed is great!)

I ev..."

That scene where Gwen met the Spirearch? I wanted to smack her! Hahaha

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Anyone else bothered with how the book jumps from one POV to another?

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I'm listening to it on audio, but I can only squeeze in about an hour or two a day. There is so much going on that I should have just read it, but I don't want to switch now.

I'm on chapter 40. The POV switches are just part of the issue I'm having. Back later tonight to discuss.

message 32: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Kathleen wrote: "That scene where Gwen met the Spirearch? I wanted to smack her! Hahaha"

Yes! I really did, too. I DID give her a slap upside her head in my head! :-)

Kathleen wrote: "Anyone else bothered with how the book jumps from one POV to another?"

I was not bothered. POV changes don't always bother me when I'm reading. But I can see how they might make audiobook reading confusing.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I've tried starting this but have had a hard time getting into it :/

So, I got the audiobook & hope to actually make it past Chpt 2!

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I think it’s one that takes a while to get into. A lot of establishing the world, characters, etc.

I’m actually enjoying the story now. Gwen doesn’t bother me.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Also, I love Folly. She's so delightfully weird, but she and Bridget make a great team.

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Cathy M. (last edited Jun 19, 2018 10:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Slowly getting into it. So far thru Chpt 10 -

(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Slowly getting into it. So far thru Chpt 10 -

So far I'm liking Gwen, Bridget, Rowl (LOVE that he's a talking cat!) & Benedict but am not getting Grimm yet. I haven't read a lot of steampunk-styl..."

My favorite character at the moment is Rowl too. It's so fun that he's a bit sarcastic and he's a cat to boot!

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments It took me a while to warm up to Grimm as well, but I like him a lot now.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I am slowly making my way thru this & am liking it a lot more now.

Thru Chpt 24 - (view spoiler)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I’m in chapter 64, so almost done. Back to share wrap up thoughts tonight.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments 100% not my favorite Butcher book. In fact, a distant third behind Codex Alera and Dresden.

But I did end up enjoying it. I think he made the first book way too long. Establish the world, suck us in, but leave us going back for more. However, I will read the next book, if for Rowl and the cats if nothing else.

Favorite characters ended up being Rowl, Benedict & Bridget, with Grimm and Folly as well. I really wasn't bugged by Gwen like a lot of you were. I rated it 3 stars, which is an enjoyable book for me.

message 42: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Michelle wrote: "100% not my favorite Butcher book. In fact, a distant third behind Codex Alera and Dresden.

But I did end up enjoying it. I think he made the first book way too long. Establish the world, suck us..."

I haven't read Codex Alera (yet?). But I agree that I like the Dresden Files better than the Cinder Spires. This first outing in the Cinder Spires was still pretty great for me. I'm not sure how he could have shortened it. I think it was pretty perfect just as it was. (That said, though, I did read it over three weeks ago. So there might have been unnecessary parts in this first outing, but I can't recall any.)

My favorite characters include Rowl and Littlemouse (or Bridget) and Benedict. Also, Grimm, Ferus, and Folly. :-) I also love Grimm's crew on the Predator. My least favorite character remains Gwen, but she showed some growth in this book so I am ready to love her in future books if she continues to mature. :-)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments FINALLY finished this weekend so final thoughts -

Overall a sometimes fun adventure BUT I totally agree with Michelle that this is a distant 3rd in terms of Butcher's series.

As much as I liked some of the characters, I never felt completely invested in them or the story. At one point I did start to get into it but then it seemed to go on and on and I was ready for it to be done.

Loved Rowl's thoughts and actions - a constant source of amusement :) And that last scene (view spoiler)

It really hurts me to say this but I will probably not continue with this series. Especially seeing as it has been YEARS since the last Dresden & I really don't feel there's enough here to invest that much time waiting around for another one. Also there are too many out there that I think I would enjoy more.