Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)
This topic is about Gemina
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Kaufman Amie; Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2) ; Informal Buddy Read ; Starts 15 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31626 comments Mod

Synopsis
Moving to a space station at the edge of the galaxy was always going to be the death of Hanna’s social life. Nobody said it might actually get her killed.

The sci-fi saga that began with the breakout bestseller Illuminae continues on board the Jump Station Heimdall, where two new characters will confront the next wave of the BeiTech assault.

Hanna is the station captain’s pampered daughter; Nik the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. But while the pair are struggling with the realities of life aboard the galaxy’s most boring space station, little do they know that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall, carrying news of the Kerenza invasion.

When an elite BeiTech strike team invades the station, Hanna and Nik are thrown together to defend their home. But alien predators are picking off the station residents one by one, and a malfunction in the station’s wormhole means the space-time continuum might be ripped in two before dinner. Soon Hanna and Nik aren’t just fighting for their own survival; the fate of everyone on the Hypatia—and possibly the known universe—is in their hands.

But relax. They’ve totally got this. They hope.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Annalisa | 1375 comments Hi, June 15th is a good date for me. As I recall the first book was a quick read.

Here from Team Severus Snape.

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14780 comments Mod
Yes, I'm in! Book on the shelf waiting :)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments I got this book for my birthday last week, this will be a great chance to read it.

I'm from Team Gilderoy Lockhart =)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Can't wait to start this one!

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments I'll be starting this one tomorrow, anyone else?

Annalisa | 1375 comments I took a peak and I'm looking forward to getting started.

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes!
Although I'm also reading the BOM so I'll be a bit slow

Annalisa | 1375 comments I'm also reading the BOM. I'm hoping Gemina is an easy fast read. I think it will be.

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments I'm not a fast reader, so I think it'll be ok if you're a bit slow haha

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I'm going to be starting tonight before bedtime :)

Annalisa | 1375 comments I got a good start on the book this evening. At first I thought this book had the same characters as the last book but it doesn't. I'm glad because it has been a while since I read Illuminae.

This time I expected the writing to be in the form of emails, chat messages, and other files like that. It still took some getting used to though. It very different from everything else I've read.

Through page 141, 20%, or "Countdown to Hypatia arrival at Heimdall Waypoint: 01 Days 00 Hours: 36 Minutes (view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Annalisa wrote: "I got a good start on the book this evening. At first I thought this book had the same characters as the last book but it doesn't. I'm glad because it has been a while since I read Illuminae.

Thi..."

I feel the same as you (view spoiler)

message 16: by Heli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heli | 392 comments Joinin in the buddy read from team Newt Scamander.

I listened to Illuminae audiobook and it was so so wonderfully done. I just loved Kady and Ezra. Now I have Gemina on overdrive and finding it a little bit harder to get into. Lot of the characters are mixed in my head. I'm not sure yet what I think of Hanna and Nik.

Annalisa | 1375 comments I keep hearing that the audiobooks for this series are amazing. Having read Illuminae the experience seemed very visual and I wonder how that is translated into the audio.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Annalisa wrote: "I keep hearing that the audiobooks for this series are amazing. Having read Illuminae the experience seemed very visual and I wonder how that is translated into the audio."

I was also curious about that, if the graphics are described or if there is a companion document to go back to.

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annalisa wrote: "I got a good start on the book this evening. At first I thought this book had the same characters as the last book but it doesn't. I'm glad because it has been a while since I read Illuminae.

Thi..."

I haven't read your spoiler as I'm only at page 57, but I also expected the same characters so it took a bit to get my head around it!
I think the style is clever, but the black text on grey pages is hard to read sometimes

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Snowtulip wrote: "Annalisa wrote: "I keep hearing that the audiobooks for this series are amazing. Having read Illuminae the experience seemed very visual and I wonder how that is translated into the audio."

I was also curious about that, if the graphics are described or if there is a companion document to go back to. ..."

Same here. I read a lot of audio, but I've quite intentionally gotten these books as paperbacks because I felt the style was part of the story. Sometimes in audio when there are emails they read EVERY.SINGLE.PART (dates, etc..) and it can get very tedious. I wonder if that is the same here?
Like how would you describe the little post-it in the corner of a document? or the little comics that Hanna draws? Very interesting

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments Ok, I'm really behind, I'm on page 44, but (view spoiler)

I too expected to see Kady and Ezra in this book, but as I read Illuminae so long ago, is good to see I don't need to remember EVERYTHING about the previous book.

Also, I love the drawings in this book.

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh yeah, Paula, that was not very nice

The drawings are awesome :)

message 23: by Heli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heli | 392 comments Annalisa wrote: "I keep hearing that the audiobooks for this series are amazing. Having read Illuminae the experience seemed very visual and I wonder how that is translated into the audio."

There was a full cast reading the book. Every character had his/her own voice, which I liked a lot.
It was hard to read Gemina sometimes just for the texts being different color. When the text was white I had to switch to black background and vice versa.

message 24: by Heli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heli | 392 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Snowtulip wrote: "Annalisa wrote: "I keep hearing that the audiobooks for this series are amazing. Having read Illuminae the experience seemed very visual and I wonder how that is translated into t..."

It was not tedious at all. And they read those briefing notes too. And the voice that read them was always the same.

message 25: by Heli (last edited Jun 19, 2018 03:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heli | 392 comments Paula wrote: "Ok, I'm really behind, I'm on page 44, but [spoilers removed]

I too expected to see Kady and Ezra in this book, but as I read Illuminae so long ago, is good to see I don't need to remember EVERYTH..."

I did not understand at first what happened there. (the spoilers tag) But luckily it was explained later.

Annalisa | 1375 comments Paula wrote: "Ok, I'm really behind, I'm on page 44, but [spoilers removed]

I too expected to see Kady and Ezra in this book, but as I read Illuminae so long ago, is good to see I don't need to remember EVERYTH..."

Oh boy for page 44 (view spoiler)I've not had a lot of time to read but I admit that this is part of the reason I've been slow to continue.

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments I'm on page 116 (view spoiler)

Anyways, I love how this book is fast paced, even as I haven't had a lot of time to read it, it feels like I'm advancing pretty fast

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Annalisa wrote: "Paula wrote: "Ok, I'm really behind, I'm on page 44, but [spoilers removed]

I too expected to see Kady and Ezra in this book, but as I read Illuminae so long ago, is good to see I don't need to re..."

That was definitely a rough scene!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Paula wrote: "I'm on page 116 BeiTech already took control of Heimdall, and I know these kind of things need to happen so the book has action, but I'm always hoping for them not to happen, you know?

Also I'm so..."

(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jun 23, 2018 04:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paula wrote: "I'm on page 116 BeiTech already took control of Heimdall, and I know these kind of things need to happen so the book has action, but I'm always hoping for them not to happen, you know?

Also I'm so..."

Yikes! I just got to page 116 and I agree that it is one of those things where you know something really bad will Happen, but keep hoping it won’t!
(view spoiler)

This is an easy read and I’m really into it now. No idea where it is headed and just enjoying the ride 😀

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments I'm on page 320
(view spoiler)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments Finished it and loved it! I hope to read what you think of it all soon! For the spoilers, I'm assuming you read the entire book*

(view spoiler)

And then, in page 622 till the end (view spoiler), so frustating!!

Thank the authors it was (view spoiler)

The final pages were a real rollercoaster, I'm very intrigued with what will happen in Obsidio, I hope to get my hands on it soon.
I love what the authors did with this saga =)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Paula wrote: "Finished it and loved it! I hope to read what you think of it all soon! For the spoilers, I'm assuming you read the entire book*

."

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm still reading. I just keep having other books get in between because I need to read this one at home in decent light (it is too big to take on the train! And the black writing on grey pages I find challenging).
Anyone else still reading?

Annalisa | 1375 comments I'm still reading. I'm hoping to finish this before I start the next batch of buddy reads.

Annalisa | 1375 comments I finished last night.

(view spoiler)

I'm going to be reading the next book sometime soon, as this one made me wonder what happens next. Would anyone be up for a buddy read of Obsidio?

Annalisa | 1375 comments Paula wrote: "I'm on page 320
(view spoiler)"

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paula wrote: "I'm on page 320
..."

I'm finally catching back up. Yikes! I did not see that coming either. I kept wondering who Rapier was and if I had missed it somewhere. :(
(view spoiler)

message 40: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jul 14, 2018 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annalisa wrote: "I finished last night.

[spoilers removed]

I'm going to be reading the next book sometime soon, as this one made me wonder what happens next. Would anyone be up for a buddy read of [book:Obsidio|..."

I finally finished! Not because the book was slow or anything, but I find I need natural light to read it in and I don't often get daytime reading. So (luckily? lol) I was sick yesterday and was able to just read for a few hours

I totally did not see (view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Same here. I read a lot of audio, but I've quite intentionally gotten these books as paperbacks because I felt the style was part of the story. Sometimes in audio when there are emails they read EVERY.SINGLE.PART (dates, etc..) and it can get very tedious. I wonder if that is the same here?
Like how would you describe the little post-it in the corner of a document? or the little comics that Hanna draws? Very interesting "

I'm still listening to Illuminae, but I have Gemina up next. I originally read them in hardback, but I also heard the audios were amazing, so I got them from the library for a re-read. They are a full cast reading. So far it is wonderful! But, like I said, I'm in Illuminae and there aren't drawings like in Gemina (at least I don't remember any). I'll let you know when I get there. :)

Laura | 3927 comments For the audio they set that song to music!

And they do a good job with Hannah’s pictures. There’s no attempt to describe the pictures. They are presented as a series of thoughts.

Laura | 3927 comments Finished! I think it's possible that I enjoyed it on audio even more than when I read the hard copy!

Hanna - I liked her just as much as I liked Kady. And I loved (view spoiler)

AIDEN - (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1375 comments I may have to try the audio for the last book. I still think they are such visual books that I have a hard time imagining they would translate to audio. However, everyone says the audiobooks are amazing. Thanks for giving a comparison of them.

Laura | 3927 comments Annalisa wrote: "I may have to try the audio for the last book. I still think they are such visual books that I have a hard time imagining they would translate to audio. However, everyone says the audiobooks are am..."

We actually managed to get both from the library, so my daughter read along while listening. She says there are some discrepancies, but nothing major. Just different words or word order occasionally. She listened to about half of Illuminae before we got the print book. She said having both together was the best.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Obsidio (other topics)