Diversity in All Forms! discussion

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
This topic is about Killers of the Flower Moon
Monthly Group Reads > Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI (June 2018)

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (new) - added it

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1429 comments Mod
The diversity topic we will cover in June is True Crime.

Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited May 22, 2018 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 143 comments Mariah wrote: "The diversity topic we will cover in June is True Crime.

Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann"

Great! I've wanted to read this book for a while, and I'm looking forward to discussing it. (Though my June schedule is already packed.)

Is anyone else planning to read it?

Matthew (funkygman007) | 5 comments I read this a few months ago - I found it to be just okay. Kind of an stretched out short story.

message 4: by Mariah Roze (new) - added it

I plan on reading it for sure :) I'm sure we'll have quite a few people reading it.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 143 comments I just picked up the audio-book from the library, and I'm next on the wait list for the large print book. Matthew's comment suggests it won't require too much concentration, so the audio might be perfect. I can listen while I do other things.

message 6: by Sj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sj | 17 comments I've got a copy on order from the library, so hopefully will have it in the next week.
Have been interested in this for a while, so it was cool to see it on the list here.

Brittany McCann (brittanylmccann) I This was very interesting, I hope you enjoy it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 143 comments So far so good.

I got through the first several chapters and it's interesting. I hope all this wasn't motivated by racism. Plain old greed is bad enough. There are two characters I'm starting to suspect and I really hope one isn't involved.

I have to put it on hold for a while. I started a new group to focus on The Great American Read. Americanah is one of the books on the list, and you're reading it soon, right?

message 9: by Sj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sj | 17 comments I'm approaching 100pages and I am finding it difficult because it makes me so angry and upset. The significant racism is just so gutwrenching - and I know Australia shares this type of history, too - and extent to which greed and desire for control lead to such ugly, evil behaviour.
I'll keep reading it, even though it is painful. The truths of these stories are important to 'listen' to.

message 10: by Sj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sj | 17 comments had a couple of days away form reading, and now back to it, having just reached the 3rd and final section of the story

the layers of intrigue and duplicitousness revealed are both fascinating and horrifying .... I appreciate how it has been written to allow the impact of certain 'double-crosses', so to speak, to really be felt

message 11: by Sj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sj | 17 comments NancyJ wrote: Americanah is one of the books on the list, and you're reading it soon, right?

ah - that is on my TBR list ... good to know it's coming up

Megan | 119 comments I have this on hold, hope I get it in a timely fashion

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 143 comments This is a story that everyone should know. It's making me angry, but I'm determined to learn more.

I'm in the middle now. The FBI work is very interesting so far. I am outraged by the fact that the government treated the Osage like they were children. They considered them incompetent based on their race alone, and assigned them white guardians who robbed them blind (and left one family with absolutely nothing). There were so many local, state and federal officials who were complicit in making the discrimination "legal". They created an environment that allowed the fraud, theft and murders to continue. And many of them were also guilty of direct criminal activity and benefited from it.

My great grandmother was native american and was in Mollie's generation. I never knew anything about her because my grandfather kept his heritage a secret for so long. I suppose he wanted to shield himself and his family from discrimination. I was really saddened when I learned that, but now I can see why.

This book is amazing in the amount of research and detail that went into it. This is a real journalistic achievement. I'm surprised I never heard any of this before. I wonder if there are any plans to turn it into a movie.

message 14: by NancyJ (last edited Jun 30, 2018 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 143 comments Sj wrote: "I'm approaching 100pages and I am finding it difficult because it makes me so angry and upset. The significant racism is just so gutwrenching - and I know Australia shares this type of history, too..."

SJ, I feel the same way. I know people often get jealous by other people's success or wealth. When you add greed and overt racism to the equation, and multiply by a million dollars, then this is what you get. I still don't know how many people were directly involved, but I think there must have been a lot of people looking the other way.

This is a great mystery, and I liked the note of reality in the investigation process. It's not as fast and neat as in a detective story.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 143 comments Megan wrote: "I have this on hold, hope I get it in a timely fashion"

My mystery group is reading it next month, so if you get it late, you can join the discussion over there.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 16: by NancyJ (last edited Jun 16, 2018 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 143 comments Right after I wondered if they'd make a movie about this, I read that it was one of the FBI cases in a very old Jimmy Stewart movie that I actually saw (many years ago).

I enjoyed this book and I'm glad I read it. I actually read it cover to cover, which I rarely do with non-fiction books. (I guess that comes from reading too many books on the same subjects, searching for new ideas to add to a class.)

The main part of the story is concluded in section 2. The third section focuses on the author's search for information, and relates that the true story was much bigger than what was previously reported.

message 17: by Sj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sj | 17 comments NancyJ wrote: "This book is amazing in the amount of research and detail that went into it. This is a real journalistic achievement. I'm surprised I never heard any of this before. I wonder if there are any plans to turn it into a movie. "

Yes - I was impressed with the research, too. And with the way each section reveals new twists which casts formerly known information in a completely new light.

And ditto on not having heard the story, before - this seems like something that should be very well known and a deeply significant story in US history, specifically, though also in racist colonial conquest history in many parts of the world (as I mentioned earlier, this type of story is not absent from Australian history)

message 18: by Sj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sj | 17 comments NancyJ wrote: "My great grandmother was native american and was in Mollie's generation. I never knew anything about her because my grandfather kept his heritage a secret for so long. I suppose he wanted to shield himself and his family from discrimination. I was really saddened when I learned that, but now I can see why. "

sorry about your hidden history and the relevance of this story to it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 143 comments Sj wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "My great grandmother was native american and was in Mollie's generation. I never knew anything about her because my grandfather kept his heritage a secret for so long. I suppose he w..."

Thanks. I was sad for him that he hid a part of himself, but I was happy when I found out. I see it in my mother, but not in myself, though I've met Native Americans who say they can see it.

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 11 comments NancyJ wrote: "Mariah wrote: "The diversity topic we will cover in June is True Crime.

Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann"

Great! I've wanted to read this book..."

Our book club is reading it later in the year; sounds fascinating!

message 21: by Ray (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ray | 14 comments Hello! I'm new here and I finished reading this book last week. It's strange to think that there are so many important topics that aren't widely recognized, but I'm glad the group touched on this one. I'm so glad I joined and I'm even more excited to see what else we cover.

Side note: I read this as an audiobook and I hear there were maps in other editions? I regret so much....

message 22: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella (ellamc) I'll be waiting a while for this -- it seems every book club on earth is reading it? I do plan on reading it - Thanks all for giving me good feelings about continuing to stay the course and wait it out. (I'm really trying hard not to buy books I don't have to buy.)

Raymond | 85 comments NancyJ wrote: "This is a story that everyone should know. It's making me angry, but I'm determined to learn more.

I'm in the middle now. The FBI work is very interesting so far. I am outraged by the fact that th..."

The film is in the works. Martin Scorsese is directing and Leonardo DiCaprio will be in it.

Raymond | 85 comments I read this book last year. Here are my thoughts.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 25: by Sj (last edited Jun 25, 2018 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sj | 17 comments Raymond wrote: The film is in the works. Martin Scorsese is directing and Leonardo DiCaprio will be in it

I wonder who he will play?.... He does a good villain, so Hale? ... or good guy White?

Raymond | 85 comments Sj wrote: "Raymond wrote: The film is in the works. Martin Scorsese is directing and Leonardo DiCaprio will be in it

I wonder who he will play?.... He does a good villain, so Hale? ... or good guy White?"

I was thinking Hale too but I think Leo is too young to play him. Maybe the FBI agent whose name I can't remember.

message 27: by Sj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sj | 17 comments Raymond wrote: "Maybe the FBI agent whose name I can't remember."

White.... can't remember his first name, though

If Leo is in it it is likely to be good. Hope it makes it all the way to screen - it's an important story.

Raymond | 85 comments Sj wrote: "Raymond wrote: "Maybe the FBI agent whose name I can't remember."

White.... can't remember his first name, though

If Leo is in it it is likely to be good. Hope it makes it all the way to screen -..."

White is correct, Tom White.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 143 comments Erin wrote: "Hello! I'm new here and I finished reading this book last week. It's strange to think that there are so many important topics that aren't widely recognized, but I'm glad the group touched on this o..."

Yes, and pictures. They aren't critical to understanding the story, but it's very interesting to see the characters.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 143 comments Raymond wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "This is a story that everyone should know. It's making me angry, but I'm determined to learn more.

I'm in the middle now. The FBI work is very interesting so far. I am outraged by t..."

I look forward to seeing the movie!

Megan | 119 comments The audiobook just came in from the library for me, looking forward to getting started

message 32: by Mariah Roze (new) - added it

Finally just got this book and started it :)

message 33: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 53 comments Finally read this book. Interesting that this is not taught in Oklahoma History classes here. At least not 30-35 years ago.