Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Rowling J.K; Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Screenplay ; Informal Buddy Read ; Start Date June 2, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod

Synopsis

J.K. Rowling's screenwriting debut is captured in this exciting hardcover edition of the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them screenplay.

When Magizoologist Newt Scamander arrives in New York, he intends his stay to be just a brief stopover. However, when his magical case is misplaced and some of Newt's fantastic beasts escape, it spells trouble for everyone…

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them marks the screenwriting debut of J.K. Rowling, author of the beloved and internationally bestselling Harry Potter books. Featuring a cast of remarkable characters, this is epic, adventure-packed storytelling at its very best.

Whether an existing fan or new to the wizarding world, this is a perfect addition to any reader's bookshelf.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments I'm in for Hufflepuff Pomona Sprout (pretty appropriate for this book). I'm excited to read it for the first time - although I've seen the movie when it first came out.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments depending on when the BR starts I might be in as well for Team Lockhart. I've seen the movie multiple times already :p

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments May possibly be able to join in for Team Flitwick. But curious will this be for just regular BR points or Harry Potter BR points...?

message 7: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I might be able to join for Team Draco Malfoy - can we make it start sometime in June? June 2 or Jun 9?

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments I'll join too :)

TEAM HERMIONE !

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments Oh - I looked it up and someone said this: (as far as it counting for a HP buddy read):
One of the messages in the pre-challenge chat (message 40) from Sonia said buddy reads would include Harry Potter and the Cursed Child as well as the movie script from Fantastic Beasts.

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments Should we set a start time of June 2? And of course, if people cannot join in right then, we hope you will join in and participate as you can!

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments Alternately - we can just say - start whenever and join as you can. That would actually be slightly better for me, but I'm happy with what everyone wants to do - I just want to read it :)

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments I'll be in for this one. I've never read it before but my daughter has so i'll grab her copy :)

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments Hmm, I'd like to join but will see where I am at book-wise when the time comes, as I have another BR starting on the 4th.

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments Kirsten - if you end up joining in late, that's fine too! See if it fits somewhere - I'll be happy to discuss it with you whenever you read it =)

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments Suzanne wrote: "Kirsten - if you end up joining in late, that's fine too! See if it fits somewhere - I'll be happy to discuss it with you whenever you read it =)"
Sounds good, thanks! :)

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments I read the first 50 pages - I'm kind of glad I saw the movie first since it makes it easy to visualize the creatures!

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2151 comments Just started rereading this... I’m from Team Myrtle 😊

When I read it the first time, I'd only seen the movie once and it still kept playing in my head while reading the script. Since then I've seen it like five more times and the effect of picturing all those scenes is even stronger!

I absolutely adore all the illustrations - the style is sooooo pretty and I love how they fit the creatures within the style. They're still recognizeable but they just match everything else so well... obviously this book is pure money-making, but at least they put the effort in to make it super pretty (and worth the read, in my opinion).

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments I agree - it really is nice looking - I like the style too! I have only seen the movie once, and it was when it first came out - so I'm probably not visualizing as well as you are :) I think I'll re-watch the movie once I've read this though.

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2151 comments Suzanne wrote: "I agree - it really is nice looking - I like the style too! I have only seen the movie once, and it was when it first came out - so I'm probably not visualizing as well as you are :) I think I'll re-watch the movie once I've read this though."

I just love that I can actually picture the scenes for once cause when reading regular books, my brain just doesn't do that... I don't imagine what settings or characters look like at all when reading, so this is a super fun experience for me! I already want to re-watch the movie, maybe I'll do that tonight 😄

message 20: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2151 comments The mating ritual with the Erumpent might be my favorite scene of the whole movie - I’m always starting to laugh when I just think about the the Erumpent wiggling its butt!

I absolutely love how Queenie goes to save them from MACUSA. She pretends to be that dumb blonde stereotype, but she is actually a very capable witch and leglimens… I love her, she’s my secret hero of the story. Also, Jacob breaking the door by force because he’s not a wizard/witch who can’t figure out how to solve a problem without magic.

message 21: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments I'm going to start a couple of days later. I have too many BRs going on right now. But because I already read it and seen the movie mutliple time, I can still participate in the discussion :)

message 22: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Judy wrote: "Just started rereading this... I’m from Team Myrtle 😊

When I read it the first time, I'd only seen the movie once and it still kept playing in my head while reading the script. Since then I've see..."

Haha, the same happened to me the first time I read it. I can't stop myself from picturing the movie and even hear the voice of the actors !

And the art is absolutely gorgeous! Have you seen the cover for The Crimes of Gindelwald yet? It's so beautiful and full of easter eggs. I've seen people theorize about what will happen in the movie based on that cover.

Here it is for those who haven't seen it yet.

message 23: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Judy wrote: "The mating ritual with the Erumpent might be my favorite scene of the whole movie - I’m always starting to laugh when I just think about the the Erumpent wiggling its butt!

I absolutely love how Q..."

it's one of my favorites scenes too ! that and the ones with the Niffler. It's just hilarious. I remember not being able to stop laughing at the theater!

message 24: by Judy (last edited Jun 02, 2018 12:11AM) (new)

Judy | 2151 comments I can’t even decide which creature is my favorite - the Demiguise and the Niffler are way up there though!

The one thing I really do not understand about this is how the obliviating at the end actually works… the venom takes away bad memories… but only if someone is in contact with water while the thunderbird is spreading it??? What happens to people who aren’t getting wet at the moment? Why are the aurors unaffected? How the heck does the venom know which memories to erase?

...looks like I finished this way quicker than expected! I was planning to spread it out over the day but I guess I just had to keep going 🙈 I enjoyed this immensely (again) and really want to see the movie again now... and I cannot wait for the sequel!!!

message 25: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2151 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "JAnd the art is absolutely gorgeous! Have you seen the cover for The Crimes of Gindelwald yet? It's so beautiful and full of easter eggs. I've seen people theorize about what will happen in the movie based on that cover."

I just saw the second cover for the first time earlier today and IT IS SOOOOO PRETTY I AM IN LOVE!!! I wasn't sure whether I would also buy this script cause let's be real, it's quite expensive and not all that necessary, but it is sooooo beautiful and I just NEED IT! Goshhhhh I'm such a sucker for every expansion of this magical world 😍

message 26: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Judy wrote: "I can’t even decide which creature is my favorite - the Demiguise and the Niffler are way up there though!

The one thing I really do not understand about this is how the obliviating at the end ac..."

I agree about the thunderbird venom thing. It makes no sense to me. How come wizards are not affected too? For the memory, maybe it just erases the last few hours/days? what's really curious in the movie too is that the newspaper are erased too becuase of the venomrain... I don't know.

message 27: by Claire (last edited Jun 02, 2018 12:41AM) (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Judy wrote: "✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "JAnd the art is absolutely gorgeous! Have you seen the cover for The Crimes of Gindelwald yet? It's so beautiful and full of easter eggs. I've seen people theo..."

same here! I didn't want to buy the script when it first came out. But it's just soooo beautiful. And when my bookstore put a discount on the books (I thing they had ordered too many copies...) I couldn't resist any longer !

message 28: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2151 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "I agree about the thunderbird venom thing. It makes no sense to me. How come wizards are not affected too? For the memory, maybe it just erases the last few hours/days? what's really curious in the movie too is that the newspaper are erased too becuase of the venomrain... I don't know."

I think the script says that a passing auror changes the newspapers, but that still doesn't make the rest more logical 😂 I wish there was some sort of explanation given... I mean yeah I get why they're not letting Newt do a five minute monologue on the properties of the venom but still, at least a little more than "it'll remove bad memories" would be cool.

message 29: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2151 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "Jsame here! I didn't want to buy the script when it first came out. But it's just soooo beautiful. And when my bookstore put a discount on the books (I thing they had ordered too many copies...) I couldn't not resist any longer !"

Definitely got mine on a discount too, I would never have paid full price for that! (And I was in the middle of a book-buying haze already, I was getting so many I didn't even feel bad about putting that one on my pile as well 😂🙈)

message 30: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Judy wrote: "✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "I agree about the thunderbird venom thing. It makes no sense to me. How come wizards are not affected too? For the memory, maybe it just erases the last few ho..."

That's a better explanation. But it didn't really come across in the movie. For me it really looked like the rain was erasing the print. The aurors seemed to busy repairing the whole city to care. LOL

message 31: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I'm still in for this but just haven't had time to start it yet. But I do have it from my library (along with the movie). Should I watch the movie first or read the book?

message 32: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "I'm still in for this but just haven't had time to start it yet. But I do have it from my library (along with the movie). Should I watch the movie first or read the book?"

Personally I'd recommend watching the movie first. It's meant to be watched first and foremost and reading the script first might take from your enjoyment of the movie.

message 33: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2151 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "I'm still in for this but just haven't had time to start it yet. But I do have it from my library (along with the movie). Should I watch the movie first or read the book?"

I also recommend watching the movie first!

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1707 comments I'm going to jump in and reread this (team Cedric Diggory).

Having read the script before watching the film, I would agree, watch the film first!

I was so slow getting into the script, trying to imagine the movie at the same time; and then when I did finally watch the film, I think I would've enjoyed it more not knowing what would happen.

It's a rare case of film first, book second.

message 35: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Judy wrote: "The mating ritual with the Erumpent might be my favorite scene of the whole movie - I’m always starting to laugh when I just think about the the Erumpent wiggling its butt!

I absolutely love how Q..."

Queenie was my absolute favorite. And mostly because she was so kind but was able to help out whoever needed it.

message 36: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "Judy wrote: "✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "I agree about the thunderbird venom thing. It makes no sense to me. How come wizards are not affected too? For the memory, maybe it just erases th..."

Ok I am glad i'm not the only one who had a problem with the ending. They really needed to explain how that venom was erasing memories and how it targeted memories. The only hint we got to the venom is in the beginning when he said that if diluted enough it might be useful. So its a scary thought to think that he just used the whole city as guinea pigs. It didn't even seem like he knew exactly what it would do. And not sure when he had time to even think about it since they were always running :(

Also I know the newspapers were fixed but what about the reporters at the scene and the pictures that they were taking. I know thats really just specific but after they develop the film won't they see some crazy images ...... I guess we're just assuming the witchcraft community took care of that as well?

message 37: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "Judy wrote: "✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "I agree about the thunderbird venom thing. It makes no sense to me. How come wizards are not affected too? For the memory, maybe it just erases th..."

Ok I am glad i'm not the only one who had a problem with the ending. They really needed to explain how that venom was erasing memories and how it targeted memories. The only hint we got to the venom is in the beginning when he said that if diluted enough it might be useful. So its a scary thought to think that he just used the whole city as guinea pigs. It didn't even seem like he knew exactly what it would do. And not sure when he had time to even think about it since they were always running :(

Also I know the newspapers were fixed but what about the reporters at the scene and the pictures that they were taking. I know thats really just specific but after they develop the film won't they see some crazy images ...... I guess we're just assuming the witchcraft community took care of that as well?

message 38: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments I'll be starting this one tomorrow, I loved the film, I watched it 4 times at the movies when it came out.
I love how connected the story is with everything in the potterverse, Dumbledore's story specially!

message 39: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments I agree - Queenie is fantastic. I think if I could read minds, I'd be all jaded, but she is just open right back at people and - I love her :)

This book is making me even more excited for the next movie. Maybe because magical creatures are one of my favorite parts of the Harry Potter Universe. And the food....wow no wonder I sorted into Hufflepuff :)

message 40: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 4263 comments I felt like I understood the ending of the movie a lot more after reading this - there is just so much going on that it was nice to be able to go through it when my eyes weren't distracted.

But I agree with everyone above - seeing the movie first is better.

message 41: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments I'm starting it now. I'm right at the beginning, the moment when Newt is entering the bank.

One of my favorite lines is (view spoiler)

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1707 comments @ Suzanne - yes, the food! I've just read the scene where Queenie makes a strudel and can't help really wishing I could cook with a wave of my wand.

It's like the Mrs Wesley envy over all the household spells she's so good at. Perhaps this is a sign of my age- I want to be able to do magic not for the wonder of it, but to do the housework!!! ;)

message 43: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments @Claire, I caught the reference when I saw the movie, but I like that line too, it made me smile =P

message 44: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "I'm starting it now. I'm right at the beginning, the moment when Newt is entering the bank.

One of my favorite lines is Mary Lou: Are you a seeker? A seeker of Truth?
Newt: I'm more of a chaser, r..."

Oooo I never caught this reference at all!!

message 45: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) I just read the part where they are in the briefcase (view spoiler)

message 46: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2961 comments Just started today and read through the end of the scene in the case.

I love Newt and his quest to help magical creatures. All of he scenes with the magical creatures are my favorites.

Still adjusting to the script format. It's good, but I wish she had taken time to turn it into a novel instead.

Queenie is so sweet. Normally having someone read my mind would bother me, but she just so happy and bubbly and accepting her being a legilImens wouldn't bother me.

message 47: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Finally got my copy of this so have finally started yay!!

Agree Deanna, the script format takes a little getting used to and also wish it was more of a story format. It's very external so you don't get into the mind of the characters as you would typically get. But I'm really glad I watched the movie before (even though it's been quite a few months) because it makes it much easier to picture in my mind while reading :)

message 48: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "I'm starting it now. I'm right at the beginning, the moment when Newt is entering the bank.

One of my favorite lines is..."

I didn't get that reference initially but now I get it :D

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1707 comments Just finished. I enjoyed this a lot more the second time around -and after having seen the film.

I agree with all the comments above about the obliviating rain not really making sense. Normally JK gives a better explanation for the rules of magic but I guess it's harder in the context of a screenplay.

I also love Queenie and Jacob. I think I'm looking forward to seeing their future relationship in the rest of the films more than Newt and Tina's. (I'm assuming things will play out this way).

message 50: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Sarah wrote: "Just finished. I enjoyed this a lot more the second time around -and after having seen the film.

I agree with all the comments above about the obliviating rain not really making sense. Normally J..."

Yeah there's a bit of an explanation at the end but not much that can help.

And can't wait to see how their relationship progresses. Seems like she sets it up so that Jacob remembers everything.

« previous 1