The Next Best Book Club discussion

Goodreads Summer Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10145 comments Mod
I had the extreme pleasure of working with the Goodreads team to develop this year's Summer Reading Challenge. It was so much fun building reading tasks for it!

Have you checked it out yet?

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1251

There's a beginners level and an expert level, so you can push yourself as far and as hard as you want to.

I don't know if I want to open up a Summer Reading Challenge as its own thread, but I thought it might be cool for those who do join the challenge to post which books they are reading against which tasks - to help others who might be stuck, or to request a buddy to do a read-a-long for a few of the tasks...

What do you think?

message 2: by Surupa (new)

Surupa Mukhopadhyay (surupam17) | 9 comments Lori wrote: "I had the extreme pleasure of working with the Goodreads team to develop this year's Summer Reading Challenge. It was so much fun building reading tasks for it!

http..."

Yes I think that would be wonderful! I'll be taking on the beginner level!

message 3: by Mama X (new)

Mama X (mamax) Surupa wrote: "Lori wrote: "I had the extreme pleasure of working with the Goodreads team to develop this year's Summer Reading Challenge. It was so much fun building reading tasks for it!

Have you checked it ou..."

I agree with Surupa! I just joined thanks to the blog. :) I'm checking out the list now.

message 4: by Faith (new)

Faith Anderson (faithhouleanderson) | 1 comments I'm definitely up for the challenge, I think I'm going to try the expert level. I'm here to see what everyone's ideas are for the books they pick based on the task! I need some help coming up with books that fit!

message 5: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta I'm definitely going to participate - can't pass a reading challenge by! Looks like great fun. :)

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (bookishrevelations) | 1 comments I wouldn't mind starting out at the beginners level, because I've been looking for a Summer Reading Challenge. I already have between 8 to 11 books picked out and ready to read for the summer anyway, so why not add a few more. :)

message 7: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) | 29 comments s there a way to copy the challenge so it can be posted on here so we can mark them off? That sounds confusing.. LOL,, I can't copy the PDF file and I want to have a checklist like on the Beatles Challenge.

message 8: by Lo (new)

Lo (lo_oneill) | 5 comments I will definitely be participating in this reading challenge and it would be good to have a space to discuss it and progress. Especially since I have just joined the group after reading the blog, so I think it would be a nice place for people that have joined in the same way to have a starting point :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I just joined the group and going to do the beginners challenge. I'm trying to get back into the habit of reading. The challenge will definitely help. Thank you.

message 10: by Mama X (last edited May 17, 2018 07:28AM) (new)

Mama X (mamax) Sally wrote: "s there a way to copy the challenge so it can be posted on here so we can mark them off? That sounds confusing.. LOL,, I can't copy the PDF file and I want to have a checklist like on the Beatles C..."

If you're doing the beginner challenge, I typed it up for myself, if you want to copy & paste it. If you're doing the expert though, sorry... didn't do that one. But I agree. There should be a list that you can copy & paste and a thread where everyone can keep up with their reading. I thought about doing it here, but I'll wait and see if a thread is created. :)
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Sk888888 (new)

Sk888888 I'm in!

message 12: by Lynsey (new)

Lynsey | 8 comments I'm doing the beginner challenger! This is my first time trying a challenge; I think a summer reading challenge thread is a great idea!

message 13: by Gary (new)

Gary (plaidchuck) | 10 comments I think I'll try this at least at the beginner level. Will be good to branch out of the genre reading I've been doing the first half of the year. maybe someone could post some recommendations for each category?

message 14: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (adeagz) | 2 comments I'm definitely going to try the expert level! Excited for a challenge :)

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie Ellis (ejewel73) | 1 comments Looking forward to starting the challenge..as it's my first Goodreads challenge I'm starting at beginners level! The SRC thread is a fab idea 😊

message 16: by JES (new)

JES (johnesimpson) | 1 comments I guess my challenge is: reduce my to-be-read stack by 50%, by sometime in September. Does that count?

(Well, hmm, now that I think about it, if I read (say) 15 books over the summer, I'm very likely to have added 20 books in their place. Not a prescription for a feeling of accomplishment, is it?)

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) | 31 comments Lori wrote: "I had the extreme pleasure of working with the Goodreads team to develop this year's Summer Reading Challenge. It was so much fun building reading tasks for it!

http..."

I think this is wonderful and will be doing the expert level. I like the idea of posting the books read. It makes it fun to see what others are reading and as you said it provides ideas.

message 18: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 12 comments Has anyone typed out the monthly tasks yet and could share?

message 19: by Naomi-Lynn Marguerite (last edited May 17, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) | 31 comments Chinook wrote: "Has anyone typed out the monthly tasks yet and could share?"

Here's the best I could do if you wish to copy and paste.

June Reads

Take Pride
Read a book written by a LGBTQIA author of that features an LGBTQIA character

Into the Great Wide Open
Read a book that takes place out in the great wide open

It's the End of the World
Read a book about the end of the world as we know it

School's Out for Summer
Reread a book you were forced to read in school

Sick Day
Read a book you were supposed to read in school but didn't

Hook 'Em
Read a book that features fishing or fisherman

Sports-a-holic
Read a book that features a popular summer sport

Dear Pen Pal
Read a book that features letters or journal entries

Father Knows Best
Read a book that features a father

Campfire Story
Read a book that scares the bejesus out of you

Ocean blue
Read a book that takes place on the water

July Reads

Get Your Grill on
Read a book that features summer recipes or outdoor summer activities

Backyard BBQ
Read a book that features a family reuniting or hanging out for the summer

Forefathers
Read a book about your country's independence

The Colours of Summer
Read a book that features a yellow, green, or sandy cover

Red, White, and Blue
Read a book that has the words red, white, or blue in the title

Funny Bone
Read a humorous book

Embrace Your Geek
Read a book about geek culture

Sun, Moon, and Stars
Read a book that takes place in outer space

I Feel a Breeze
Read a book that takes place at a nudist colony or features nudists

Beach Bum
Read a book that could be considered a "beach read"

Sand Between My Toes
Read a book that takes place in or around a beach/ocean

August Reads

Let's Get It On
Read a book that features falling in or out of love

It's 12 o'clock Somewhere
Read a book that takes place in a bar or heavily features drinks/drinking

Stranded
Read a book that takes place on an island or in which the characters find themselves stranded

One and Done
Read a book that you can finish in a day

Lucky to Have You
Read a book that you picked up at a library sale or thrift store

Girl Power
Read a book about feminism or written by a feminist

Life is a Highway
Read a book that features a road trip

Time of Our Lives
Read a book in which the characters go on an adventure

Memories
Read a book that you bought while on vacation

What to read during any month to stretch your reading comfort zone

Won't be Long
Read a collection of short stories or essays

Poet at heart
Read a book of poetry

You Have a Lovely Accent
Read a book that was translated from another language

Read the World
Read a book that takes place in a country - or focuses on a culture - other than your own

Diversify Yourself
Read a book by an author of colour

My, What Big Teeth You Have
Read a book that puts a spin on a well-known fairy tale

High Noon
Read a classic or contemporary Western

The Future is Bright
Read a book that takes place in the future

The Book is Always Better
Read a book that is becoming a movie this year

TBRing It
Read a book from the bottom of your TBR pile

Unshelve It
Read a book that's been sitting on  your Goodreads Shelves for a while

Childhood Reboot
Read a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure novel

Listen to Me
Listen to an audiobook

message 20: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 12 comments Thanks!!!

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) | 31 comments Chinook wrote: "Thanks!!!"

Your welcome. I just updated it to fix a few spelling mistakes. :-)

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hager (cheryl_is_reading) | 16 comments Thanks for the copy/paste version!

message 23: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited May 17, 2018 09:11PM) (new)

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for digging the challenge. It was a lot of fun to create. And many thanks to Carrie B and Naomi who took the time to list out each task so it can be copied/pasted.

I'm going to create a new thread for challenge, based on your feedback here : )

Here it is:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Please follow that link to the thread where you can set up your thread to track your progress!

message 24: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) | 29 comments I am so excited! this couldn't have come at a better time! I only have about 10 more books to COMPLETE the Beatles Challenge (took me 8 months) so I will be done right around the beginning of June! So perfect Timing.. Thanks to the 2 who took the time to type it out for us! I have to change one tho... it says read a book you were suppose to read for school and didn't.. Umm I was a book geek I read them all,, so I am changing it to "read a book your kids had to read for high school that you haven't read.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 1 comments Newbie to the group here! Followed a link in a Goodreads email to the interview with Lori, then to this group for the challenge. Really looking forward to the beginner challenge and expanding my reading, although for me it will be a 'Winter Reading Challenge' as I am in New Zealand.

message 26: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Hi Lisa! Welcome to the group! Yeah, we tried to be sensitive to the fact that quite a bit of the Goodreads members were in a different hemisphere and had opposite seasons, so we made as many of the tasks as generic as possible so everyone could enjoy it. Maybe we can look at it through the lens of "Christmas in July"? You can relive your summer months through this challenge : )

message 27: by Mary Ann (new)

Mary Ann  | 4 comments I'm excited to begin this challenge. Will the group offer some suggested reads? I think it would be helpful.

message 28: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 12 comments Sally wrote: "I am so excited! this couldn't have come at a better time! I only have about 10 more books to COMPLETE the Beatles Challenge (took me 8 months) so I will be done right around the beginning of June!..."

I hear you! This task is such a staple of challenges and how many books could I have not read in school? I found a Ted Talk list once of books commonly read in school in other countries and I often read one of those instead.

message 29: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (tlapp) | 1 comments Lori wrote: "I had the extreme pleasure of working with the Goodreads team to develop this year's Summer Reading Challenge. It was so much fun building reading tasks for it!

http..."

This is great and I love a summer reading challenge for Goodreads! I would like to see a thread where there is discussion of finding book topics, much like the Pop Sugar yearly reading challenge has. It really helps having others reading the same categories and discussing the books in them. A separate thread for each category would be nice :) Thank you! Can't wait to start.

message 30: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta I still can't decide whether to do Beginner or Expert. 🤔

message 31: by Raeanne (new)

Raeanne (nissa987) | 1 comments I just followed the interview link to get to this page and joined right away. I’m looking forward to trying out this challenge and seeing others recommendations for the books!!

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Hmmm .... I'm confused ...

Is this a site-wide challenge for GoodReads?

Or is this a group challenge in TNBBC group?

message 33: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 12 comments My understanding is that this is a site wide challenge for Goodreads that was made up by the moderator here in this group, so threwds have been started here as well.

message 34: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Hi Book Concierge!

I created the challenge for Goodreads. So Chinook is correct. It's a site wide challenge, but since so many people are finding TNBBC because of it, I decided to open a thread where you can track what you're reading for it if you want to!

message 35: by Mama X (new)

Mama X (mamax) Quick question... Summer is technically June 21 - September 21. Are these the dates of the challenge? Or are we doing June 1 - August 31?

message 36: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

No real time frame has been determined or outlined. Feel free to pick your own!

message 37: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 17 comments Lori wrote: "Hi Book Concierge!

I created the challenge for Goodreads. So Chinook is correct. It's a site wide challenge, but since so many people are finding TNBBC because of it, I decided to open a thread wh..."

FYI, I tried to find the challenge; it sounded site-wide, but I couldn't find a link anywhere. So despite having too many groups, I joined this so I could participate in Summer. If there's somewhere else I should look, please let me know.
But since I'm here...
I see the answer to my timing question. My other question is, did you intend this to be a one-prompt-one-book challenge (which means I'd stick to beginner) or, as I've seen with many non-GR challenges, is part of the fun to "stretch" each book and see how many prompts you can hit?

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Allegra wrote: "FYI, I tried to find the challenge; it sounded site-wide, but I couldn't find a link anywhere. So despite ..."

Check the ORIGINAL post in this thread ... she has a link to the Goodreads challenge blog there.

message 39: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

HI Allegra.

Goodreads made a printable PDF version of the challenge, but I don't believe there is a specific place to track or chat about the challenge other than here.

You can find the goodreads blog post of the summer challenge here:
https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1...

message 40: by Allegra (last edited Jun 13, 2018 04:45PM) (new)

Allegra | 17 comments Lori wrote: "HI Allegra.

Goodreads made a printable PDF version of the challenge, but I don't believe there is a specific place to track or chat about the challenge other than here.

You can find the goodrea..."

Thanks. The static list is where I started (can't remember but must have been on the GR home page). So I guess I'll be posting here.
Thanks for setting this up BTW

message 41: by Claire (new)

Claire Whew, I'm halfway through the expert level Reading Challenge so far and enjoying every second!

https://lovethevillain.wordpress.com/...

I've never read so much in such a short period of time. I'm really happy with the range of books I've managed to read as well. This challenge certainly has me out of my comfort zone!

I just wanted to say thank you for giving me something to do this Summer. It's certainly helping to keep my mind off of this unforgiving heat!

Good luck, to everyone still participating!

message 42: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Wow! Glad you're enjoying it!

message 43: by Catka (new)

Catka | 151 comments I have to second Claire, the challenge has made me read much more and enjoy the books and also read stuff I would not usually pick up. Some of it was a very positive surprise.
So thanks for organizing this.

message 44: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

You're very welcome!

message 45: by Leothur (new)

Leothur Cadette (colourmefiction) | 1 comments Hey everyone! I'm new to Goodreads and new to this group. I am excited to join this new community of book lovers! I recently started a bookish youtube channel so please consider checking it out here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv_E...

I am constantly searching for new books to read so this challenge is perfect!