The Next Best Book Club discussion

Summer Reading Challenge (2018) > Summer Reading Task List

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Jun 12, 2018 06:17PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10180 comments Mod
https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1...

Hi everyone! Thanks for being so super excited and supportive of the Goodreads Summer Reading Challenge! I can't tell you how awesome it was to have the opportunity to do it... and I can't wait to see what everyone reads (and recommends).

Here are the tasks. Feel free to create your own thread here in this folder to keep track of what you've read and GOOD LUCK!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summer Reading Challenge
Beginner Level

Summer Related Tasks:

Into the Great Wide Open– Read a book that takes place out in the great wide open
Get your Grill On - Read a book that features summer recipes or outdoor summer activities
The Colors of Summer – Read a book that features a yellow, green, or sandy cover
Beach Bum - Read a book that could be considered a “beach read”
Sand Between My Toes - Read a book that takes place in or around a beach/ocean
Ocean Blue – Read a book that takes place out on the water
Hook ‘Em – Read a book that features fishing or fishermen
Sports-a-holic – Read a book that features a popular sport
Campfire Story – Read a book that scares the bejesus out of you
One and Done – Read a book that you can finish in one day

Stretch Your Comfort Zone Tasks:

Let’s Get It On – read a book that features falling in or out of love
Take Pride– Read a book written by an LGBTQIA author or that features an LGBTQIA character
Read the World -Read a book that takes place in a country, or focuses on a culture, other than your own
Diversify Yourself – Read a book by an author of color
You Have a Funny Accent – Read a book that was translated from another language
Won’t Be Long – Read a collection of short stories or essays
Poet at Heart – Read a book of poetry
My What Big Teeth You Have – Read a book that puts a spin on a well-known fairy tale
High Noon – Read a classic or contemporary Western
TBRing It – Read a book from the bottom of your TBR pile
Unshelve it – Read a book that’s been sitting on your Goodreads Shelves for a while
Childhood Reboot – Read a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure novel
Listen to Me – Listen to an Audiobook

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summer Reading Challenge
Expert Level

The goal is to accomplish the tasks within the months they are featured:

June Reads:
Take Pride – Read a book written by an LGBTQIA author or that features an LGBTQIA character
Into the Great Wide Open – Read a book that takes place out in the great wide open
It’s the End of the World – Read a book about the end of the world as we know it
School’s Out for Summer - Reread a book you were forced to read in school
Sick Day – Read a book you were supposed to read in school but didn’t
Sports-a-holic – Read a book that features a popular summer sport
Dear Penpal – Read a book that features letters or journal entries
Father Knows Best – Read a book that features a father
Campfire Story – Read a book that scares the bejesus out of you

July Reads:
Get Your Grill On– Read a book that features summer recipes or outdoor summer activities
Backyard BBQ – Read a book that features a family reuniting or hanging out for the summer
Forefathers– Read a book about your country’s independence
The Colors of Summer – Read a book that features a yellow, green, or sandy cover
Red, White, and Blue – Read a book that has the words Red, White, or Blue in the title
Funny Bone – Read a humorous book
Embrace Your Inner Geek – Read a book about geek culture
Sun, Moon, and Stars – Read a book that takes place in outer space
I Feel a Breeze – Read a book that takes place at a nudist colony or features nudists

August Reads:
It’s 12 O’clock Somewhere – Read a book that takes place in a bar or heavily features drinks/people drinking
Stranded – Read a book that takes place on an island or in which the characters find themselves stranded
Lucky to Have You – Read a book that you picked up at a library sale or thrift store
Girl Power – Read a book about feminism or written by a feminist
Life is a Highway – Read a book that features a road trip
Time of Our Lives – Read a book in which the characters go on an adventure
Memories – Read a book that you bought while on vacation

Tasks to read during any month that are designed to stretch your reading comfort zones:

Read the World -Read a book that takes place in a country, or focuses on a culture, other than your own
My What Big Teeth You Have – Read a book that puts a spin on a well-known fairy tale
The Future is Bright – Read a book that takes place in the future
The Book is Always Better – Read a book that is becoming a movie this year
Unshelve it – Read a book that’s been sitting on your Goodreads Shelves for a while

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) | 31 comments Lori wrote: "HI everyone! Thanks for being so super excited and supportive of the Goodreads Summer Reading Challenge! I can't tell you how awesome it was to have the opportunity to do it... and I can't wait to ..."

Thanks Lori! I just finished picking out all my books for the challenge. Now the challenge is to wait to start!

I guess the next step is to create a shelf for the books.

Good luck to everyone and happy reading!

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited May 18, 2018 04:07AM) (new)

Hi Sally! Hooray for starting your list!

Might it be better if you create your own thread for your reading challenge? I think it'd be easier for everyone to check in on your status and give you a space of your own for posting purposes.

You can do so by clicking here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

And then in the upper right hand side, by the title of the folder, you'll see a hyperlinked "new topic". Click that, and you'll be able to set up your own thread! Hope that helps?

message 4: by Mama X (last edited May 30, 2018 07:02AM) (new)

Mama X (mamax) Moved my challenge to its own thread.

message 5: by Mama X (new)

Mama X (mamax) This is going to be a lot more difficult than I anticipated... Maybe I should sit this one out?

message 6: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 12 comments I’m hoping someone will have some recommendations for books about nudists - I’m drawing a blank!

message 7: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 12 comments Carrie B. wrote: "This is going to be a lot more difficult than I anticipated... Maybe I should sit this one out?"

You could always just pick any one month or section and just do that part. Make the challenge work for you :)

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Chinook wrote: "I’m hoping someone will have some recommendations for books about nudists - I’m drawing a blank!"

Hi Chinook. I read Absolutely Golden by D Foy and it's pretty awesome. It would fit that challenge perfectly!!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi. Question, what is considered a beach read? And can anyone recommend one? I'm taking the beginners challenge.

message 10: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 12 comments I think of beach reads as light reads - chick lit, cozy mysteries, etc.

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) | 31 comments Cathy wrote: "Hi. Question, what is considered a beach read? And can anyone recommend one? I'm taking the beginners challenge."

Murder on the Page by Kennedy Chase. It's a good cozy mystery. And honestly, once I read the first I had to read all four of the books they were so good.

Cheers!

message 12: by 3queensread (new)

3queensread | 6 comments This may be a dumb question but can anyone explain the difference between a book “Into the Great Wide Open” and “Ocean Blue.” Wouldn’t both be books that take place out in the ocean? I picked Life of Pi for my Into the Great Wide Open book since I was trying to fit books on that were already on my TBR list. I’m not sure I need to find another book that takes place on the ocean or just any body of water.

message 13: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta Jasmine wrote: "This may be a dumb question but can anyone explain the difference between a book “Into the Great Wide Open” and “Ocean Blue.” Wouldn’t both be books that take place out in the ocean? I picked Life ..."

I think "into the great wide open" is more land-based? I interpreted it as wilderness, wide open spaces, etc. I'm probably going to use "Call of the Wild".

message 14: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 12 comments When I think great wide open, I think of wide spaces, often empty of much human influence. So, prairies, ocean, dessert, Arctic.

message 15: by 3queensread (new)

3queensread | 6 comments Thank you ladies after you both said something I read it more clearly.

message 16: by Kelly Mott (last edited Jun 15, 2018 12:20PM) (new)

Kelly Mott | 3 comments I have a few picked out.... it'll take some time to get it all together. lol

June Reads:
The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel Take Pride
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest TrailInto the Great Wide Open – Read a book that takes place out in the great wide open
Oryx and CrakeIt’s the End of the World – Read a book about the end of the world as we know it
1984School’s Out for Summer -
Animal FarmSick Day
Sports-a-holic – Read a book that features a popular summer sport
Dear Penpal – Read a book that features letters or journal entries
Father Knows Best – Read a book that features a father
The Hot Zone The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus by Richard Preston Campfire Story –

July Reads:
Get Your Grill On– Read a book that features summer recipes or outdoor summer activities
Backyard BBQ – Read a book that features a family reuniting or hanging out for the summer
Forefathers– Read a book about your country’s independence
Red, White, and Blue – Read a book that has the words Red, White, or Blue in the title
Funny Bone – Read a humorous book
Embrace Your Inner Geek – Read a book about geek culture
Sun, Moon, and Stars – Read a book that takes place in outer space
I Feel a Breeze – Read a book that takes place at a nudist colony or features nudists

August Reads:
It’s 12 O’clock Somewhere – Read a book that takes place in a bar or heavily features drinks/people drinking
Stranded – Read a book that takes place on an island or in which the characters find themselves stranded
Lucky to Have You – Read a book that you picked up at a library sale or thrift store
Girl Power – Read a book about feminism or written by a feminist
Life is a Highway – Read a book that features a road trip
Time of Our Lives – Read a book in which the characters go on an adventure
Memories – Read a book that you bought while on vacation

Tasks to read during any month that are designed to stretch your reading comfort zones:

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer My What Big Teeth You Have
The Future is Bright – Read a book that takes place in the future
The Book is Always Better – Read a book that is becoming a movie this year

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Hi. Question, what is considered a beach read? And can anyone recommend one? I'm taking the beginners challenge."

Murder on the Page by Kennedy Chase..."

Thank you!

message 18: by Lo (new)

Lo (lo_oneill) | 5 comments I have started my shelf for the summer reading challenge and am excited to get started on it, but there are two challenges that I am struggling to find something that I would like to read which would fit, could anyone help me out with a recommendation?

The two categories are:
Sports-a-holic – Read a book that features a popular sport

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) | 31 comments Lo wrote: "I have started my shelf for the summer reading challenge and am excited to get started on it, but there are two challenges that I am struggling to find something that I would like to read which wou..."

Hey there,

For Hook 'Em, I'm reading The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. Other books I can recommend are The Golden Catch by Roger Weston (thriller) and, coming out in June, Unforgiven by Max Hudson (M/M Romance).

For Sports-a-holic, I'm reading Hunter Crispian & The Little Brother of War by K.M. Topping. It's a young adult time travel book where teenagers from this time go back to where lacrosse was first created by the Native Americans as a way to train for war.

If you'd prefer a romance, check out https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/.... For mysteries, check out https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/.... And for thrillers, check out https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/....

My BOTM group is voting on a book for June that also fits. It's Beartown by Fredrik Backman.

Hope this helps. Have fun reading!

message 20: by Lo (new)

Lo (lo_oneill) | 5 comments Naomi-Lynn Marguerite wrote: "Lo wrote: "I have started my shelf for the summer reading challenge and am excited to get started on it, but there are two challenges that I am struggling to find something that I would like to rea..."

Hi Naomi,

This is great, thank you so much for the recommendations!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Can you cheat? I mean, if a book satisfies more than one task, can you list it twice (or more)?

message 22: by Gary (new)

Gary (plaidchuck) | 10 comments Also we can read nonfiction yes?

message 23: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 12 comments Gary wrote: "Also we can read nonfiction yes?"

Yes.

message 24: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 12 comments Patricia wrote: "Can you cheat? I mean, if a book satisfies more than one task, can you list it twice (or more)?"

With the other challenges I do, Pop Sugar and Book Riot, some people will count a book for more than one category and some people do one book per category. I think it’s really up to you to decide how you want to do it.

message 25: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Yes to both! You can read non fiction - it's not genre specific : )

And you can count the book against one task (to make it more challenging) or against as many tasks as it fits (to make it more motivating).

message 26: by Ann (new)

Ann | 2 comments I am excited to try this reading challenge! 90% of my reading time these days is spent on accounting and business textbooks while I work my way through my masters program. With that in mind I know I will not finish all of these on time, but that is ok! I read a wide variety of books, but there were four categories on here I have not explored yet!

Into the Great Wide Open– Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2) by Brandon Sanderson
Get your Grill On - Kitchen Confidential Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain -Ok, maybe does not 100% fit the category, but I have been wanting to read it
The Colors of Summer – The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Beach Bum - Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
Sand Between My Toes - To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
Ocean Blue – Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Hook ‘Em – Moby-Dick or, The Whale by Herman Melville -I am going to try and get to this one since has been on the TBR list since high school.
Sports-a-holic – The Boys in the Boat Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
Campfire Story – Night Shift by Stephen King
One and Done – We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Stretch Your Comfort Zone Tasks:

Let’s Get It On – Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Take Pride– Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Read the World - And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
Diversify Yourself – Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison or The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
You Have a Funny Accent – One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez or A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Won’t Be Long – You Think It, I'll Say It by Curtis Sittenfeld
Poet at Heart – The Complete Poetry by Edgar Allan Poe
My What Big Teeth You Have – Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley or I might re-read one of my fav fairy tale re-writes! Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
High Noon – Sackett's Land by Louis L'Amour
TBRing It – The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy -First book I added to my shelves when I joined Goodreads and I have yet to read it!
Unshelve it – Neverwhere (London Below, #1) by Neil Gaiman
Childhood Reboot – The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5) by Edward Packard
Listen to Me – The Revenge of Seven (Lorien Legacies, #5) by Pittacus Lore - I know I know! I went from Moby Dick to this. But this series amuses me on my drive to work.

message 27: by Daisy_Rose_Books (new)

Daisy_Rose_Books | 1 comments I’m in for the begginer level, it sounds fun!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

My tablet keeps kicking me out when I try to click on that link to create my own thread for the Summer Reading Challenge.

message 29: by Marie (new)

Marie Mandiak (marie_mandiak) | 89 comments I was going for expert, until my dean made me revise both of my summer classes, so beginner is it. Looking over the categories, I think I've decided to see how many categories I can fulfill with each book I read. I'm reading The Stars Are Fire which fits: The Colors of Summer, Sand Between my Toes, and maybe Ocean Blue. I'm also reading The Song of Achilles and I haven't decided which categories that fits.

message 30: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 17 comments Chinook wrote: "I’m hoping someone will have some recommendations for books about nudists - I’m drawing a blank!"

Believe it or not, there's a list on Listopia: Best Naturist Fiction
Enjoy!

message 31: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 17 comments I thought I'd joined already, but maybe I was waiting to decide my level. As June is going pretty well, I'm going to try Expert. Maybe it will change to Beginner as the summer unfolds. But for now, here goes...

JUNE

Take Pride

Read a book that features an LGBTQIA character Leah on the Offbeat

Into the Great Wide Open
Read a book that takes place out in the great wide open Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

It's the End of the World
Read a book about the end of the world as we know it

School's Out for Summer
Reread a book you were forced to read in school

Sick Day
Read a book you were supposed to read in school but didn't

Hook 'Em
Read a book that features fishing or fisherman

Sports-a-holic
Read a book that features a popular summer sport

Dear Pen Pal
Read a book that features letters or journal entries

Father Knows Best
Read a book that features a father

Campfire Story
Read a book that scares the bejesus out of you

Ocean blue
Read a book that takes place on the water

JULY

Get Your Grill on

Read a book that features summer recipes or outdoor summer activities

Backyard BBQ
Read a book that features a family reuniting or hanging out for the summer

Forefathers
Read a book about your country's independence

The Colours of Summer
Read a book that features a yellow, green, or sandy cover

Red, White, and Blue
Read a book that has the words red, white, or blue in the title

Funny Bone
Read a humorous book

Embrace Your Geek
Read a book about geek culture

Sun, Moon, and Stars
Read a book that takes place in outer space

I Feel a Breeze
Read a book that takes place at a nudist colony or features nudists

Beach Bum
Read a book that could be considered a "beach read"

Sand Between My Toes
Read a book that takes place in or around a beach/ocean

AUGUST

Let's Get It On

Read a book that features falling in or out of love

It's 12 o'clock Somewhere
Read a book that takes place in a bar or heavily features drinks/drinking

Stranded
Read a book that takes place on an island or in which the characters find themselves stranded

One and Done
Read a book that you can finish in a day

Lucky to Have You
Read a book that you picked up at a library sale or thrift store

Girl Power
Read a book about feminism or written by a feminist

Life is a Highway
Read a book that features a road trip

Time of Our Lives
Read a book in which the characters go on an adventure

Memories
Read a book that you bought while on vacation

STRETCHING

Won't be Long

Read a collection of short stories or essays

Poet at heart
Read a book of poetry

You Have a Lovely Accent
Read a book that was translated from another language

Read the World
Read a book that takes place in a country - or focuses on a culture - other than your own

Diversify Yourself
Read a book by an author of colour

My, What Big Teeth You Have
Read a book that puts a spin on a well-known fairy tale

High Noon
Read a classic or contemporary Western

The Future is Bright
Read a book that takes place in the future

The Book is Always Better
Read a book that is becoming a movie this year

TBRing It
Read a book from the bottom of your TBR pile

Unshelve It
Read a book that's been sitting on your Goodreads Shelves for a while

Childhood Reboot
Read a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure novel

Listen to Me
Listen to an audiobook

message 32: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Hi guys.

I think it's awesome that so many of you are joining in on this challenge!!

Please note that this thread is actually for the list itself to be housed, so that you can copy and paste it into your own thread... one where you can track your reading specifically. See comment #3 above.

Thanks for helping us keep the challenge threads clean and organized!
Lori