Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Not That I Could Tell
This topic is about Not That I Could Tell
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Stawser, Jessica --Not That I Could Tell; Informal Buddy Read starts June 18, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Laura | 9707 comments This thread is open to discuss Not That I Could Tell Jessica Strawser

Synopsis
When a group of neighborhood women gathers, wine in hand, around a fire pit where their backyards meet one Saturday night, most of them are just ecstatic to have discovered that their baby monitors reach that far. It’s a rare kid-free night, and they’re giddy with it. They drink too much, and the conversation turns personal.

By Monday morning, one of them is gone.

Everyone knows something about everyone else in the quirky small Ohio town of Yellow Springs, but no one can make sense of the disappearance. Kristin was a sociable twin mom, college administrator, and doctor’s wife who didn’t seem all that bothered by her impending divorce—and the investigation turns up more questions than answers, with her husband, Paul, at the center. For her closest neighbor, Clara, the incident triggers memories she thought she’d put behind her—and when she’s unable to extract herself from the widening circle of scrutiny, her own suspicions quickly grow. But the neighborhood’s newest addition, Izzy, is determined not to jump to any conclusions—especially since she’s dealing with a crisis of her own.

As the police investigation goes from a media circus to a cold case, the neighbors are forced to reexamine what’s going on behind their own closed doors—and to ask how well anyone really knows anyone else.

Geri | 2042 comments I’ve made note of the date!

Brooke | 1199 comments I’m in and wrote the start date on my calendar!

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri, are you still good to start this Sunday or Monday?

Laura | 9707 comments Please come back and chat with me! I'm not as fast as you guys!

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "Please come back and chat with me! I'm not as fast as you guys!"

LOL - of course, Laura! I'm actually okay with waiting another week to start it if that works better for you. I didn't learn my lesson last month and have several book in progress that I'd like to finish first (but don't have to).

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "Geri, are you still good to start this Sunday or Monday?"

Hubby and I are going on vacation for a few days. Mackinac Island in Michigan. I can’t wait! If next week works better for everyone, I am fine with that!

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Please come back and chat with me! I'm not as fast as you guys!"

How’s the reading going? Did you finally read that book you borrowed 5 times? LOL

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Geri, are you still good to start this Sunday or Monday?"

Hubby and I are going on vacation for a few days. Mackinac Island in Michigan. I can’t wait! If next week works better for ..."

Ooh - enjoy! I have a cousin who lives in Michigan and says that Mackinac Island is a great place to vacation.

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Geri, are you still good to start this Sunday or Monday?"

Hubby and I are going on vacation for a few days. Mackinac Island in Michigan. I can’t wait! If next week works better for ..."

ohhh nice! Enjoy. Yes next Sunday would work better if ya all don't mind waiting another week. Thanks Brook for suggesting the wait. Brooke, I don't think I learnt my lesson; or I just didn't plan my buddy reads very well!!

I 'm slowing slogging away at my books! I finish a few and start some more!
Geri did you read the "Others Series by Anne Bishop? I highly recommend if you didn't!
@Geri, I didn't even start it... Parting Shot. I think I may just accept that I 'm not going to read it until after Towers; but I did finish another one I keep returning. Still Me

message 11: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Ok. Next Sunday works!

Laura, I tried Others series. But gave up after book 2. Funny thing is I keep eyeing Lake Silence. I guess I don’t know when to give up! LOL That’s funny about Parting Shot.

One book I read recently that was really good isSomething in the Water. It was a slow burn psychological thriller that I got very immersed in. I know you both like that type of book. So I highly recommend! Another book to add to your very long list. LOL

message 12: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: ".Ooh - enjoy! I have a cousin who lives in Michigan and says that Mackinac Island is a great place to vacation.
"

Thanks! Yes, the great thing about Mackinac is that no motorized vehicles are allowed. So horse drawn carriages, biking and walking are the only mode of transport.

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri wrote: "One book I read recently that was really good is Something in the Water...."

That is good to know! I have it on audiobook. I'll have to find a time to dig into it sometime soon.

Laura | 9707 comments Lol added it to the TBR!

Oh that actually sounds nice Geri! My choice would be to walk.

Laura | 9707 comments I'm getting closer to reading this one; anyone else?

How'd vacation with the Hubster go, Geri?

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "I'm getting closer to reading this one; anyone else? ..."

I can start it on Monday....

Laura | 9707 comments Ok, thankfully its my day off as it is prom for my son that evening. I'm hoping to get some reading in early that day

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "Ok, thankfully its my day off as it is prom for my son that evening. I'm hoping to get some reading in early that day"

Exciting! Is he going with a date or with a group? From what I hear from my friends with kids, prom is very different today than when I was in high school.

message 19: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Hi Laura and Brooke! I will be starting the book today! Laura - Your son’s prom, I hope he has lots of fun!

My vacation was so enjoyable. My husband rode a bike each morning while I slept in. LOL I really enjoyed the horses. Such beautiful animals!

message 20: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura - I just noticed our buddy read for The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2) by Amy Harmon starts today. Can we move that one to next Monday?

Brooke | 1199 comments Your vacation sounds amazing, Geri! I'm going to start this book tonight after work.

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "Laura wrote: "Ok, thankfully its my day off as it is prom for my son that evening. I'm hoping to get some reading in early that day"

Exciting! Is he going with a date or with a group? From what I ..."

He is going with a date as friends. Its pouring rain here today; I will be buying umbrellas when we go out to pick up the corsage. Maybe the rain will stop later this afternoon.

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Hi Laura and Brooke! I will be starting the book today! Laura - Your son’s prom, I hope he has lots of fun!

My vacation was so enjoyable. My husband rode a bike each morning while I slept in. LOL ..."

Your vacation sounds lovely! Yes, I don't mind reading The Queen and the Cure next Monday. I haven't planned any of my buddy reads very well so waiting to start that one works well.

Laura | 9707 comments Through chapter 9
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I read the first 11 chapters. The mystery is interesting.(view spoiler)

message 26: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Read through chapter 22. (view spoiler)

message 27: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Through chapter 9

Since we just recently read The Perfect Mother its difficult to not compare the two books. Although they are different -no mom's group; there are a few similariti..."

I agree, Laura, there are some similarities. But some real differences too. The mystery of what happened to Kristen is keeping me reading. What do you think of Paul?

message 28: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Laura wrote: "Ok, thankfully its my day off as it is prom for my son that evening. I'm hoping to get some reading in early that day"

Exciting! Is he going with a date or with a grou..."

How was prom night?

Brooke | 1199 comments I didn't get far last night because of life distractions, but I'm intrigued by the story so far.

I'm with both of you about the similarities with The Perfect Mother. I hope reading them close together doesn't influence my thoughts on the book when I finish!

Through chapter 6
(view spoiler)

I have a date with my couch and this book tonight, so hopefully I won't get distracted again!

Laura | 9707 comments Prom was great. He had more fun than he thought. He looked handsome and the dresses; so beautiful!

Laura | 9707 comments @ Brooke
(view spoiler)

Maybe don't read this one until you reach chapter 9 (view spoiler)

@Geri
Paul(view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments Random conspiracy theory thought that popped into my head this morning...

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "Random conspiracy theory thought that popped into my head this morning...

[spoilers removed]"

Interesting theory. (view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments I clearly read too many mystery/thrillers. 😜

message 35: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments chapter 23-33. This section really felt very soap opery. LOL (view spoiler)

message 36: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Finished! (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Prom and graduation are over! Phew. It was really nice. Happy there are no more waiting up nights and providing rides home. I can't do any more late nights this week! Now to catch up on everything and read, read, read!

message 38: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Prom and graduation are over! Phew. It was really nice. Happy there are no more waiting up nights and providing rides home. I can't do any more late nights this week! Now to catch up on everything ..."

Things really got busy for you! So nice of you to help out like that. I’m sure the kids appreciated it!

message 39: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Hey Brooke and Laura - Have you finished the book? Or have you given up on it? This was an okay read, I thought. The Perfect Mother was better, in my opinion!

Brooke | 1199 comments I’ve got about 75 pages left. I have a girlfriend in town for a few days, so I haven’t been reading much. I should finish it tomorrow or Wednesday though!

Laura | 9707 comments I'm still reading! It was Canada Day yesterday and I was out with family today... I'm hoping to get back on track tomorrow

message 42: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "I'm still reading! It was Canada Day yesterday and I was out with family today... I'm hoping to get back on track tomorrow"

Happy Canada Day! I hope you had a fun day!

message 43: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "I’ve got about 75 pages left. I have a girlfriend in town for a few days, so I haven’t been reading much. I should finish it tomorrow or Wednesday though!"

Oh fun! I’ll check back later.

Brooke | 1199 comments I only managed a whopping 25 pages after I dropped my friend off at the airport. My boyfriend was supposed to come visit me this week (and meet my friend before she left), but as usual I ended up driving to his place. I should be able to finish tonight at some point, and hopefully I'll be able to hop on a computer to post my thoughts.

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments I think I'm two days overdue at the library....I'll do my best to finish up in the next few days.

message 46: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "I only managed a whopping 25 pages after I dropped my friend off at the airport."

LOL It’s understandable. You’ve been busy.

Brooke | 1199 comments I finally finished it yesterday!

(view spoiler)

I'm curious to hear Laura's thoughts on the end and overall story.

It was a pleasure reading with you ladies again! Let me know if there is anything else on your TBR you would like to buddy read this month. :)

message 48: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke. (view spoiler)

Always fun buddy reading with both of you too! I’ll check to see if I got any potentially good buddy reads on my list.

Laura | 9707 comments I read a chunk last night. I should finish it later today.

message 50: by Laura (last edited Jul 07, 2018 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 9707 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

You know all these books are good; and I 'm glad we read them but they aren't really gripping thrillers. I haven't rated one over 3 stars yet. I'm up for another buddy read with you both!

What do you think of this one? Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer

« previous 1