The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3) The Burning Maze discussion

The End! (Spoiler Alert)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ovidio Perez I gasped when the author broke up Piper and Jason. They are like the Roman version of Annabeth and Percy. I nearly fainted from sheer terror when he killed Jason. I kept rocking myself back and forth thinking he will bring back Jason. I can't stand this knowing they broke up and now Jason is dead. He needs to magically bring back Jason and have Piper realize that she was wrong. She was always in love with Jason, but she didn't realize it until he died. Onto other news so far Apollo hasn't done anything godly like from the last book it seems he is tapped out. I did like seeing Meg bring back an ancient deceased dryad known as the Meliai Ash Trees. Here, here, all hail the great Meg the wise one. Meg must be careful to wield such ancient power can corrupt even the purest of souls. Must be tempting to order the Meliai trees to hunt down and kill the evil emperors, but sadly they cannot stray too far from where they were planted. I'm sad and hurt so many people died in this book... ":'[

Mandy I was shocked that Piper and Jason broke up, but the way she explained it makes sense. You have to figure who are first. I was very upset that Jason died, I mean the reader and him go through a lot together. I don’t think Jason will be brought back to life. & I couldn’t tell if Piper was upset as a friend or as his ex gf.

message 3: by Ovidio (last edited May 13, 2018 09:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ovidio Perez Mandy wrote: "I was shocked that Piper and Jason broke up, but the way she explained it makes sense. You have to figure who are first. I was very upset that Jason died, I mean the reader and him go through a lot..."

Mandy don't you dare say Jason won't be brought back to life. I have my hopes and dreams the Author will bring him back. Maybe a plot like Piper goes to the underworld to bargain with Hades to bring Jason back to life. But the biggest challenge Piper faces is love! Ironic isn't it? Daughter of Aphrodite, will Piper love be strong enough to bring back Jason from the dead? She will have to undergo trials that will test her to the limit and see if she truly loves Jason, because if it's true love well...they say true love conquers all.

Mandy @Ovidio
Oops, Sorry :(
Okay, I don’t want to say anything else that might suggest otherwise about Jason’s Death
That would make a good plot though

message 5: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Ovidio wrote: "Mandy wrote: "I was shocked that Piper and Jason broke up, but the way she explained it makes sense. You have to figure who are first. I was very upset that Jason died, I mean the reader and him go..."

Although that does sound nice, I doubt it will happen. For one, this is Apollo's story not Piper's. Secondly, it seems kind of cliché if Jason was brought back to life like Leo and Hazel. That would make a good plot but I do want Piper's character to develop more outside of Jason.

Mandy @The Reader
So true, the story would go so off course if that happened though I do like Piper developing as a person. As much as I want Jason alive again, it’s not going to happen as you said. Which makes me upset and yet relieved Because it would kind of mess up the story if he did.

theStorykeeper What about Nico and his relationship with Jason???

Ovidio Perez theStorykeeper wrote: "What about Nico and his relationship with Jason???"

Right? Like I refuse to believe Jason isn't coming back from Hades. Piper can have her own separate book from the Apollo series maybe even like a 3.5 which is after book 3, but not before book 4. We can't forget about Nico and his relationship with Jason. Heck maybe Piper teams up with Nico to go to the underworld to bring back Jason... >.<"

message 9: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Ovidio wrote: "theStorykeeper wrote: "What about Nico and his relationship with Jason???"

Right? Like I refuse to believe Jason isn't coming back from Hades. Piper can have her own separate book from the Apollo ..."

Eh...I don't know about that. It would be a bit problematic for Piper and Nico to be looking for Jason in the underworld while you got that whole thing going on with Apollo and the Triumvirate at the same time. Obviously Nico is going to be upset when he finds out Jason is dead. It's not that I want Jason to be dead. But if somehow every dead character gets revived, it doesn't bring much emotion to the story. I was thinking that maybe when Apollo becomes a god again, he could make sure Piper was able to see Jason (in the underworld). But these are just my thoughts.

Ovidio Perez The wrote: "Ovidio wrote: "theStorykeeper wrote: "What about Nico and his relationship with Jason???"

Right? Like I refuse to believe Jason isn't coming back from Hades. Piper can have her own separate book f..."

I just have a tough time believing Jason is dead, because Jason is one of the main characters for The Heroes of Olympus series. If the Author wanted to kill Jason off why not do it during The Heroes of Olympus books? Why now? He even brought Leo back, so I am positive Jason will be revived as well... ":'[

message 11: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Ovidio wrote: "The wrote: "Ovidio wrote: "theStorykeeper wrote: "What about Nico and his relationship with Jason???"

Right? Like I refuse to believe Jason isn't coming back from Hades. Piper can have her own sep..."

I don't think the author had an intention to kill Jason during HoO. I personally feel that this series is definitely darker which means it harder for the characters to survive. I can think of several reasons why Rick decided to kill Jason off (although this is my opinion). First of all, Jason is not a fan favorite. He is constantly being compared to Percy. Now Rick didn't kill Jason to just get rid of him, but during the Burning Maze, I felt like he did a better job developing Jason than in HoO. By killing him off, it would probably add more of an emotional effect. Secondly, Jason is one of the most powerful of the Seven (especially since he is compared to Percy so often!) so killing him off-one of the most powerful of the seven-would make it seem like the task to defeat the Triumvirate was more difficult that even Jason died.

Although Leo was revived during HoO, I doubt that Rick would revive all of his dead characters back, or even important characters such as Jason. Its repetitive and makes it seem that even if any character died, they would be revived. Plus I'm not sure how Jason would be revived other than Apollo doing something at the end..

theStorykeeper First of all, you don't to kill off a character to have an emotional impact. That's bullshit. Why does the series have to get darker? That's not what readers have come to expect. If you want to read a dark series, read a different series - you have plenty to choose from. Those of us who don't want that have limited selection to choose from already. We don't need authors deceiving us by starting out a series one way and then suddenly hitting us with death.

Secondly, as to all this crap about Jason being compared to Percy - that's the point! He is a foil for Percy.

message 13: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader theStorykeeper wrote: "First of all, you don't to kill off a character to have an emotional impact. That's bullshit. Why does the series have to get darker? That's not what readers have come to expect. If you want to rea..."

I'm not saying that by killing a character off, it makes a book more emotional. I'm just saying that if rather a character is revived after their death, there's less sentiment to that. For example, if Leo actually died, we would've have that feeling of relief after knowing he was alive. I'm sorry if I reworded it a bit strange.
This series is definitely darker than the other series that Rick has written.

theStorykeeper I'm not saying that by killing a character off, it makes a book more emotional.

You just did:

By killing him off, it would probably add more of an emotional effect.

message 15: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader I guess I worded it wrong. I take it back.

Ovidio Perez Honestly at this point we are just speculating what is going to happen. I'm not sure if Jason will be revived or stay dead. I have hope for Jason revival, but this up to the Author hands now. We will just have wait to see what will happen in his upcoming books. Worst case scenario we see Jason as a ghost like Nico sister Bianca di Angelo. But I am positive we will see Jason again whether he comes back to life or as a ghost... >.<"

theStorykeeper Ovidio wrote: "Honestly at this point we are just speculating what is going to happen. I'm not sure if Jason will be revived or stay dead. I have hope for Jason revival, but this up to the Author hands now. We wi..."

I will hang on to your hopes because I have none left of my own.

Ovidio Perez theStorykeeper wrote: "Ovidio wrote: "Honestly at this point we are just speculating what is going to happen. I'm not sure if Jason will be revived or stay dead. I have hope for Jason revival, but this up to the Author h..."

Awww thanks don't worry I'm sure the Author will bring back Jason. Who else will he pair off with Piper? He would have to introduce a new demigod. So, I am sure he will bring back Jason... ":']

message 19: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader I mean Piper can be single..

Ovidio Perez The wrote: "I mean Piper can be single.."

I can't see Piper single and alone for the rest of her demigod life. To me that would just be sad. Especially for a daughter of Aphrodite who is all about love. That is why we must hope the author will bring back Jason and they get back together again.

message 21: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Was it revealed in the Burning Maze (or at least inferred) that Piper truly loved Jason or just found him as a really close friend? And yes, Piper is a daughter of Aphrodite, but in TBM, during Piper's conversation with Apollo on the boat, she realizes that her parentage doesn't define who she is. Especially with the stereotypes of Aphrodite, Piper doesn't necessarily have to be with someone. I can't imagine Piper with anyone else aside from Jason (I did ship her and Apollo for a second, don't ask why...) but if Jason can't be brought back, which is fine with me, she can remain single or will visit him in Elysium.

Ovidio Perez The wrote: "Was it revealed in the Burning Maze (or at least inferred) that Piper truly loved Jason or just found him as a really close friend? And yes, Piper is a daughter of Aphrodite, but in TBM, during Pip..."

I don't know why people like to ship Apollo with anyone. He is old as dirt. He needs a tinder like app for gods only to hookup and go on dates. I'm fine with him dating someone who is 18 or older, but for the most part he is hanging out with underage teens.

message 23: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Ovidio wrote: "The wrote: "Was it revealed in the Burning Maze (or at least inferred) that Piper truly loved Jason or just found him as a really close friend? And yes, Piper is a daughter of Aphrodite, but in TBM..."

Although Apollo is old, like the other gods, he acts immature for his age. I can see why he needs to date someone older than an underage teen but in ToA, he has no choice to hang out with people who are younger than him. If he does choose to be human in the end, he might hang around with people around his mortal age. Could you give me examples of when he hung out with underage teens?

Ovidio Perez The wrote: "Ovidio wrote: "The wrote: "Was it revealed in the Burning Maze (or at least inferred) that Piper truly loved Jason or just found him as a really close friend? And yes, Piper is a daughter of Aphrod..."

"Examples of when he hung out with underage teens?" Most the of the demigods are underage teens. Meg is practically a child and a lot of demigods don't live up to 18 due to the fact that there are monsters trying to kill them. I think it was the Roman demigod camp which had like a College thing where people got to grow up and what not. I doubt Apollo will want to remain mortal, because all he talks about is wanting to be a God again... x'D

message 25: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Ovidio wrote: "The wrote: "Ovidio wrote: "The wrote: "Was it revealed in the Burning Maze (or at least inferred) that Piper truly loved Jason or just found him as a really close friend? And yes, Piper is a daught..."

Apollo is currently mortal so he really doesn'y have a choice who he's with which are demigod heroes. I don't know he hangs out with but between the many references made in the book..he definitely doesn't seem to hang around teens (besides the Hunters. I'm not quite sure if Apollo would want to remain mortal after. He does seem to want to be immortal after but since there's character development going on and Apollo is becoming more human, he might stay human like characters such as Calypso. But who knows..

Ovidio Perez The wrote: "Ovidio wrote: "The wrote: "Ovidio wrote: "The wrote: "Was it revealed in the Burning Maze (or at least inferred) that Piper truly loved Jason or just found him as a really close friend? And yes, Pi..."

I highly doubt Apollo the Greek God will want to remain as Lester the boy with flabs. If he were to remain mortal probably in a hotter body. I can already see Apollo saying return me to my godly status, so I pretend this was just a horrible nightmare... x'D

message 27: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina When he becomes a god again, I'm imagine he might say "YES! Finally I won't have this puny mortal body anymore!"(or something along that line). He'll be so relieved that he won't have to deal with flabs and teenage acne XD
Great, I think my family is looking at me weirdly because I just almost spit out water writing that lol

message 28: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Lily-of-the-Valley wrote: "When he becomes a god again, I'm imagine he might say "YES! Finally I won't have this puny mortal body anymore!"(or something along that line). He'll be so relieved that he won't have to deal with ..."

But with all the development that he's getting throughout the series, he might feel differently about being a mortal and a god when he becomes one again. For example, he's less concerned on how he looks and is more focused on the task ahead (although sometimes he feels that its unfair). Apollo might not necessarily become 100% who he is before. He might still be a god but decides to live among mortals (which could cause a conflict) but might decide to live entirely mortal. There are still two books left and Apollo decides to live as a mortal, it could be because of development or wanting to live with Meg and his children (and possibly Reyna). I also don't think he would want to forget everything he saw as a mortal as a "mortal" because of Jason's promise plus the amount of lives he impacted after becoming mortal. I don't know what's going to happen for sure but he definitely won't go back to being the same person as he was.

message 29: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie I am upset Jason died but what about Crest? He was so sweet and cute!

I hate that Jason is dead however it does make sense one of the demigods has died as in the Percy Jackson series it said that most demigods didn't survive to become adults. It would be unrealistic if everyone survived.

However I am really sad he died and do hope he is brought back to life.

message 30: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Maggie wrote: "I am upset Jason died but what about Crest? He was so sweet and cute!

I hate that Jason is dead however it does make sense one of the demigods has died as in the Percy Jackson series it said that..."

Oh my gosh, yes! Everyone is always talking about Jason's death but we can't forget that Crest is also dead. He had so much hope to become a musician and I really wanted him to stay alive. I'm not a fan of Jason dying but it does emphasize the message that no demigod is safe (Rick hasn't killed a major character for too long...).

I don't think Jason would be brought to life for reasons stated above and would be quite repetitive. But I do want to see him again (dead or alive) in the future where he sees Piper or Leo and possibly seeing Crest again.

Also, if anyone is interested, I posted a new discussion on Predictions and Theories of the Tyrant's Tomb: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .

Anaya I don't think he'll bring back Jason since Jason's death is sort of a consequence for Apollo breaking his oath on the River Styx.

message 32: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Fluffy Unicorns wrote: "I don't think he'll bring back Jason since Jason's death is sort of a consequence for Apollo breaking his oath on the River Styx."

That's true.

Stefani Crook Jason's death had me balling my eyes out. He was one of the best characters. That being said, after reading all the comments about his death, I can see why he had to die. Even though it upsets me, and it really upsets me, it makes sense. Apollo broke his oath on the River Styx, so he had to be punished in some way. However, I think killing Jason was a bit extreme. I mean there could have been a different punishment. As for bringing Jason back to life? I think it could happen, I mean he brought Leo back. I don't know. We'll see.

message 34: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Stefani wrote: "Jason's death had me balling my eyes out. He was one of the best characters. That being said, after reading all the comments about his death, I can see why he had to die. Even though it upsets me, ..."

I was not a huge fan of Jason at the start and I felt that his character was not developed to the point where I cared about him. But in TBM, I really started to like him more and his death was definitely surprising (thought Grover was going to die). Although Jason's death does seem a bit off, it's basically a message saying that no one is safe. Not even the strongest. I feel like in HoO, no one significant really died which kinda made Gaea and the giants seem like a joke so I feel that Rick is redeeming the fact that the villains are dangerous. I doubt Jason will come to life. It'd be repetitive and if Rick wants us to see that the villains are that bad, he wouldn't make it so easy for Jason to just come back to life.

message 35: by Charis (last edited Jun 18, 2018 08:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charis The wrote: "Stefani wrote: "Jason's death had me balling my eyes out. He was one of the best characters. That being said, after reading all the comments about his death, I can see why he had to die. Even thoug..."

You're completely right. Rick wouldn't bring Jason back to life, as he has done with characters (like Leo or Hazel) before, beacause it would just make death unrealistic and not final and he'd really be cheating the system at that point.
Nonetheless, I was shocked when he killed Jason. He's never killed off a main character before.
Sure, he's killed more minor characters like Michael, Lee, Zoe, Castor, Silena, Ethan, and Luke, but never something as drastic as this.
I wasn't expecting a breakup between Piper and Jason, though I understand why Piper did break up with him (Though I wish they got back together), and I certainly didn't expect any death, to be totally honest.
I was expecting some burst of godly power from Apollo like in the last two books but I guess not.
I mean, I also realized that Jason's death was the unknown reason Annabeth was crying at the end of The Ship of the Dead, so I should've been expecting something, but between the period the two books were released, I completely forgot.

message 36: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Charis wrote: "The wrote: "Stefani wrote: "Jason's death had me balling my eyes out. He was one of the best characters. That being said, after reading all the comments about his death, I can see why he had to die..."

Agreed. I know a lot of people want Jason back and there's nothing wrong with that but as you've said, death is final. I also didn't expect the breakup from Jason and Piper because at the end of the BoO, they were talking together about their relationship and it seemed that they were really going to last for a long time. I wished Apollo had a burst of godly power but it seems that he is getting weaker due to the Styx curse.

When Annabeth was crying, I totally expected that Grover was going to die given that he appeared at the end of TDP. So I didn't expect that Jason would actually be the one to die especially since he was a main character in the last series.

Ovidio Perez Every time someone brings up Jason death I fall down screaming and crying in agony. It hurts too much, knowing Jason died, and for what? For Apollo and his friends get away safely from an evil emperor. This is too much for my demigod soul to bear... 😭

message 38: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Jason sacrificed himself, as any hero would, so that Apollo and his friends would be able to save the Oracle and continue on their quest. He also died so Piper wouldn't have to.

Bonnick I stopped reading after HoO ended but my friends told me Jason died who is well now was my fave character after percy and then i hear piper and leo just left him like that not even goign to his funeral. Well i'm done now with the franchise poor Thalia.

Ovidio Perez Bonnick wrote: "I stopped reading after HoO ended but my friends told me Jason died who is well now was my fave character after percy and then i hear piper and leo just left him like that not even goign to his fun..."

O Bonnick, you just reminded me that Thalia is Jason half-sister, and that the news will wreck her heart. I know she will feel so much grief over Jason death... ":'[

Stefani Crook Bonnick wrote: "I stopped reading after HoO ended but my friends told me Jason died who is well now was my fave character after percy and then i hear piper and leo just left him like that not even goign to his fun..."

I get what you're saying, but Piper and Leo didn't just leave him. Apollo and Meg are taking Jason's body to Camp Jupiter.

message 42: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader I am interested to see Thalia's reaction to Jason's death (just to clarify: they are biological siblings). Although it would not be pretty, it'd be nice to see the bond that Thalia and Jason had. Thalia might also be mad at Apollo because he could be the one to bring the news to her. And as Stefani said, Piper and Leo didn't leave Jason. Piper mourned over Jason when he died (which was really emotional) and at the end of the book, Leo came over to Piper and they both mourned together. Although it seems strange that they were Jason's closest friends but yet is not attending their funeral, Piper has to go move with her and Leo has to settle down with Calypso before he could move on (plus, he recently just came back from CJ). I hope to see the funeral in the next book.

Bonnick Stefani wrote: "Bonnick wrote: "I stopped reading after HoO ended but my friends told me Jason died who is well now was my fave character after percy and then i hear piper and leo just left him like that not even ..."

I didn't read it my friend just told me they cried a bit Apollo made a dumb joke to make her laughed but they felt they didn't need to atleast go to his funeral. Don't plan to read it but for me thats just not cool at all especially since this is suppose to be his best friend and lover. I doubt Percy would have left jason like that

message 44: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Bonnick wrote: "Stefani wrote: "Bonnick wrote: "I stopped reading after HoO ended but my friends told me Jason died who is well now was my fave character after percy and then i hear piper and leo just left him lik..."

Thats strange..I don't remember Apollo making any jokes. I also don't think that Piper and Leo not going to the funeral just because they didn't feel the need to. I understand you haven't read the series but judging from HoO, I'm sure Piper and Leo aren't like that...

Bonnick The wrote: "Bonnick wrote: "Stefani wrote: "Bonnick wrote: "I stopped reading after HoO ended but my friends told me Jason died who is well now was my fave character after percy and then i hear piper and leo j..."

Yea thats what i thought too but then again things change

message 46: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Bonnick wrote: "The wrote: "Bonnick wrote: "Stefani wrote: "Bonnick wrote: "I stopped reading after HoO ended but my friends told me Jason died who is well now was my fave character after percy and then i hear pip..."

The only thing that has changed are that Leo and Piper are more preoccupied now. I'm sure nothing has really changed from their personalities besides Piper being more independent from Jason.

message 47: by Bian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bian Kheiri Ovidio wrote: "Mandy wrote: "I was shocked that Piper and Jason broke up, but the way she explained it makes sense. You have to figure who are first. I was very upset that Jason died, I mean the reader and him go..."
Someone had to die tbh. The Magnus Chase books were the only one of his books when one of the main characters actually die and that was the point of the book. All these almost death but coming back to life scenarios are getting rly boring. It gives the element of suspense, no always having trust that everyone is gonna stay alive.

message 48: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader Bian wrote: "Ovidio wrote: "Mandy wrote: "I was shocked that Piper and Jason broke up, but the way she explained it makes sense. You have to figure who are first. I was very upset that Jason died, I mean the re..."

Agreed. Like in HoO, Leo and Hazel came back to life not to mention that the Doors of Death were opened so death was preventable. At the war against Gaea, no one really died (Octavian doesn't count). If Jason came back to life, there's no point in hin dying in the first place. Jason dying moves the plot and sends the message that even heroes like Jason aren't safe. I understand that we don't want any characters to die but sometimes they need to happen for plot or character development purposes. For example, Jason's death made Caligula a more dangerous villain than he already was.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

He DIED!!! I was shocked. I never really like him but I was still shocked. Who knew Rick was capable of such a thing?

message 50: by The (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Reader G1 wrote: "He DIED!!! I was shocked. I never really like him but I was still shocked. Who knew Rick was capable of such a thing?"

Yeah it was definitely surprising.

« previous 1