Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Count of Monte Cristo
This topic is about The Count of Monte Cristo
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Dumas Alexander, The Count of Monte Cristo, Informal Buddy Read, Start date May 22, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 277 (277 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 09, 2018 01:57AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod

Synopsis
In 1815 Edmond Dantès, a young and successful merchant sailor who has just recently been granted the succession of his erstwhile captain Leclère, returns to Marseille to marry his Catalan fiancée Mercédès. Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantès is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Do we have a tentative date? :)

message 5: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 10436 comments Mod
Well then!

I'll go find my book and dust it off. And then I'll also add it to my TBR Closet challenge because it IS a book I've been meaning to read for years but only put onto my GR shelf in recent years.

And most importantly: Slytherin reporting for duty for team Severus Snape - Tower Teams VI.

If you ever want to see a GOOD movie adaptation of this, I can only recommend the French version - in 4 movie length parts with Gérard Depardieu. Really worth it. (The American "adaptation" is crap, sorry.)

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14770 comments Mod
Eek! This is scary
*deep breaths*

So I am going to read Lilac Girls on the 16th on audio. Should take me... maybe a week? So what if we start May 22nd? Then we can take our time with it through Tower Teams

Team Luna Lovegood reporting here *salute*!

I don't think I have ever seen any adaptations. I'm going in a bit blind

message 7: by Eldarwen (new)

It's an incredible story and now that we've decided to do this, I actually can't wait to get started!

Lots of intrigue, lots and lots of it! The main character is a genius when it comes to plotting :-)

May 22nd sounds good! And yes, we should definitely take our time with this one. Doorstop, helloooo.

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cool! Have you read it before or are you familiar with it from the movies?

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I have 3 editions of this book (who says one is enough???). I'll pick the one which will get me more points haha!

I thought the American adaptation was okay. I'll try to look for one with English subtitles then and see what I missed.

message 10: by Eldarwen (new)

Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Cool! Have you read it before or are you familiar with it from the movies?"

I only saw the movies, but never read the book. According to my mum, who watched the movies with me and who has read the book, they are very, very close - hence the 4 movie length parts haha.

message 11: by Eldarwen (new)

Kathleen wrote: "I have 3 editions of this book (who says one is enough???). I'll pick the one which will get me more points haha!"

Haha, way to go!
You can just leave one edition in your bag for on the go, one wherever you spend reading time and the third... you'll find a spot ;-)

message 12: by Melindam (last edited May 09, 2018 04:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melindam | 3245 comments Team Cedric Diggory here
I meant to re-read this for ages, so here I am. :)
I saw 2 movie adaptations. 1 with Richard Chamberlain, the other with Jim Caviezel, but I thought both were MEH.

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cool Kathleen!

Oh exciting then E to finally get to the book

Welcome Melindam!

I feel more confident about getting through this reading with all of you

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I have only seen the movie and the whole I'm going to rise up and get back at all you guys sounded so grand to me before... so yeah that's how I ended up with 3 editions. I'll finally get to read it! Hahaha.

Melindam | 3245 comments Talking about editions: can I read it in Hungarian and then still do the discussions with you in English (obviously)? :)

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Of course Melindam! I think E is reading in French so we will be very multi cultural :)

message 17: by Melindam (last edited May 09, 2018 04:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melindam | 3245 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Of course Melindam! I think E is reading in French so we will be very multi cultural :)"
Sounds fun. :) Though I might consider the EN version as I have that on my kindle, while having to carry the 1300pages HU edition may be more taxing - there are too many things in my bag aready. :D

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha yes the physical book is not exactly portable ;)

message 19: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 7515 comments Mod
Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Haha yes the physical book is not exactly portable ;)"

I'm in a RL book club with (mostly) librarians from my former workplace. The horror on our faces when one of them (a librarian) cheerily produced HALF a book! She happily confessed to ripping books in half if they were too big to carry.

In her defence, they were generally one's she'd got from a charity shop, so weren't pristine. but still.... I think the rest of us still have shudders every so often. We've certainly got an unspoken pact never to speak of it again!

I thought about joining you, but I'll have to wait and see if it'll fit for an SRC summer task before committing...

message 20: by Eldarwen (new)

Half a book!! o.O

message 21: by Cat (new)

uh... to be clear, she ripped down the spine, not across the width!

She brought the 2nd half with her as she hadn't quite finished before our meeting.

but yeah.... [shudders]

message 22: by Cat (new)

also, her job is at least in part about looking after the collection of books!

Melindam | 3245 comments Just waiting for the look my mum's face when I tell her about this. She's a librarian....

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments That is too funny. Just imagining how many of Stephen King's books would be torn in half.

I'm in for this read (I think) - scary though it is so big. I'm on Team Draco Malfoy.

message 25: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1706 comments The horror! Book mutilation from a librarian! It does make for a funny story though. ;)

I'm in too (another from Team Cedric Diggory). It's one of those monster books that I never quite have the courage to pick up...

I have seen the French version with Depardieu, but it was several years ago and I have a very hazy recollection of the story. Lots of complicated revenge, I know that much, and I did enjoy watching it at the time.

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4959 comments Kathleen wrote: "I have 3 editions of this book (who says one is enough???). I'll pick the one which will get me more points haha!

I thought the American adaptation was okay. I'll try to look for one with English..."

according to another thread in GR the BEST edition is translated by Robin Buss
That is the one i am going for and has 1312 pages - Team Cedric Diggory

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4959 comments Cat wrote: "Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Haha yes the physical book is not exactly portable ;)"

I'm in a RL book club with (mostly) librarians from my former workplace. The horror on our faces when one of them (a librari..."

believe me it will fit somewhere

Melindam | 3245 comments Wow, Team Cedric! For such a small team we do pick big books. :D

message 29: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2639 comments I'm very tempted to join you all for this (Team Gilderoy Lockhart). This is one of those books on my "maybe someday when I pluck up the courage" list.

I am thinking ripping it in half could be a good idea, it's probably less daunting looking as two 650 page books. I probably shouldn't do that with a library copy though :D

message 30: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) ooo I have always wanted to read this book. Do i have to be doing the Harry Potter challenge? or can anyone join?

Melindam | 3245 comments In Hungary the book came first out in 3, hardcover volumes, which is quite practical. But with the mass publishing now you have quite a few juggernaut, paperback editions as well.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments In for Team Draco! I can’t wait.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Tahmina wrote: "ooo I have always wanted to read this book. Do i have to be doing the Harry Potter challenge? or can anyone join?"

Anyone can join; Tahmina, you don't have to be a part of the Harry Potter challenge.

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat wrote: "uh... to be clear, she ripped down the spine, not across the width!

She brought the 2nd half with her as she hadn't quite finished before our meeting.

but yeah.... [shudders]"

OMG
get that woman a kindle. lol!

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alison wrote: "I'm very tempted to join you all for this (Team Gilderoy Lockhart). This is one of those books on my "maybe someday when I pluck up the courage" list.

I am thinking ripping it in half could be a g..."

lol!

message 36: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tahmina wrote: "ooo I have always wanted to read this book. Do i have to be doing the Harry Potter challenge? or can anyone join?"

No, anyone can join :) Welcome aboard!

message 37: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melindam wrote: "In Hungary the book came first out in 3, hardcover volumes, which is quite practical. But with the mass publishing now you have quite a few juggernaut, paperback editions as well."

oh that is very practical!

A friend's mum just published her first book which is historical fiction (around 400AD England) and they published it in 4 volumes of only about 150 pages each. I thought that was really clever.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments That's how Stephen King originally published The Green Mile. No wonder he's a Grand Master author!

message 39: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

You're so right Jenny. He is one of a kind

message 40: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2639 comments Picked up a copy of this from the library this morn and OMG it's huge. A quick flick through also suggests the writing is really really small. I'm scared :/

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Alison wrote: "Picked up a copy of this from the library this morn and OMG it's huge. A quick flick through also suggests the writing is really really small. I'm scared :/"

*cue music* We're all in this together ;)

We can do this!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I'm scared too! How many pages are you guys thinking of reading each day to slug through this classic book (which I'm sure is very good but I'm feeling a bit like that guy in greek literature that keeps trying to push the stone up the mountain but not getting anywhere)

message 43: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2639 comments Hahaha

I just read the introduction and apparently it's thought of as a children's book. I personally can't imagine a child reading this but if they can. I can (probably).

We're allowing a lot of time for this right???

message 44: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2639 comments As I have the physical copy (and wasn't planning on lugging it around with me I may be a little slow reading this.

SandyL | 4447 comments I'm in - I think I'll use the audiobook :-)

message 46: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 1706 comments I was thinking a chapter a day - I'll be here all year! (I have no idea how many chapters there are, haven't started yet, I'm just assuming it's about 200 or something ridiculous like that.)

No really, I'll have to go faster than that to finish in time for the points, but I'm going to read other things at the same time and just keep plugging away in the background.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments If we read ~100 pages/day we'll be done in about 14 days.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I can commit to 100 pages a day, I think. I love this book - I read it years ago and I'm excited for a re-read.

I was considering the audio but my version is 53 hours, even at 1.3 speed.

Melindam | 3245 comments Sarah wrote: "I was thinking a chapter a day - I'll be here all year! (I have no idea how many chapters there are, haven't started yet, I'm just assuming it's about 200 or something ridiculous like that.)

No re..."

Same here, Sarah. :) I intend to read this alongside other books.

message 50: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’m the same - wil be reading alongside other things and taking my time. My only goal is to finish before the end of TT ;)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6