Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Sarum: The Novel of England
This topic is about Sarum
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Rutherfurd Edward, Sarum: The Novel of England, Informal Buddy Read, Start date 4 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 09, 2018 01:58AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod

Synopsis
A masterpiece that is breathtaking in its scope, SARUM is an epic novel that traces the entire turbulent course of English history. This rich tapesty weaves a compelling saga of five families who preserve their own particular characteristics over the centuries, and offer a fascinating glimpse into the future

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 06, 2018 05:46PM) (new)

Family trees from paperback copy (thanks Sophie!)

IMG_20180606_214327574

IMG_20180606_214336733

IMG_20180606_214347168

IMG_20180606_214409021

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14780 comments Mod
hmmmm looks like the audio for this isn't available in Australia from audible or itunes. I never understand why that is.
I may have to search some other sites to see where I can buy it. Trying to read this "old school" will take me forever :o

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments That's frustrating Karen. Probably the reason is the same as books, different publishing rights for different countries. Drives me mad with books on kindle as well between Australia and the US,

Hope you can find an alternative.

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think my husband may still have an amazon.com account (not .com.au) so I'll check with him when he gets home!

Victoria | 1132 comments I might try and join you for this one since I’ve been meaning read Rutherfurd’s books, big books, and historical books set in England - so this is perfect!

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Awesome sauce Victoria!

message 9: by Sophie, The other one (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophie (drsophie) | 3953 comments Mod
I'll prob join you. Enjoy Rutherford's books and this is one I haven't read yet

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cool! We are getting quite the hang together 😉

message 11: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments I want to at least attempt to join you. A former coworker of mine has been pushing me to get reading the stack of Rutherfurd books I have been hoarding. Lol This is the one she said to read first... But not sure what I am getting into as a slower reader. Didnt know there was potentially an audiobook option...

message 12: by Rosina (new) - added it

Rosina | 1703 comments Hi everyone....
recently picked this up at a charity shop...
looking forward to this read...

message 13: by JanEyre9 (new) - added it

JanEyre9 I would love to be part of this! Looking forward to it

message 14: by Kate S (new) - added it

Kate S | 1967 comments I also own a copy of this book and would love the motivation of a buddy read to make it through this thick book.

message 15: by Kirsten (last edited May 09, 2018 05:58AM) (new) - added it

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments LOL just checked my library & they have Sarum on cassette! :O (but no more recent format)

message 16: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm in too! Huge Rutherfurd fan.
This will be my fourth book by him and it's a lot easier to tackle this monster with BR for an extra motivation :)

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kirsten wrote: "LOL just checked my library & they have Sarum on cassette! :O (but no more recent format)"

lol! I don't think I have anything that would even play a cassette

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skandia wrote: "I'm in too! Huge Rutherfurd fan.
This will be my fourth book by him and it's a lot easier to tackle this monster with BR for an extra motivation :)"

I agree! So much easier with others

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Any preferences for start date?

message 20: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "LOL just checked my library & they have Sarum on cassette! :O (but no more recent format)"

lol! I don't think I have anything that would even play a cassette"

Luckily I got passed down a cassette/cd/record/radio combo unit from my grandmother, just might need a dusting off. lol

message 21: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Any preferences for start date?"

Maybe the 2nd week of the challenge? (just a thought) I wouldn't mind having time to figure out this challenge a bit more (being a newbie) and maybe get a shorter book or two out of the way first...

message 22: by Kate S (new) - added it

Kate S | 1967 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Any preferences for start date?"

I would love to see an early June start...maybe the 4th?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I don't mind when we start. I will probably take my time reading this behemoth of a book and read smaller books in between parts. It's a relaxed format so just chatting about the book as we go with appropriate spoiler tags?

So glad we have quite a few people buddy reading it makes very interesting reading getting all different people's points of view.

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I don't mind when we start. I will probably take my time reading this behemoth of a book and read smaller books in between parts. It's a relaxed format so just chatting about the book as we go with..."

yes, slow and steady wins the race!

message 25: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate S wrote: "Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Any preferences for start date?"

I would love to see an early June start...maybe the 4th?"

Let's do it. Then everyone can read as fast or slow as they like

Victoria | 1132 comments I’m number two on two books from two different libraries so I’ll probably start whenever one comes through for me. Will probably (hopefully) be close to 4 June

message 27: by Kate S (new) - added it

Kate S | 1967 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I will probably take my time reading this behemoth of a book and read smaller books in between parts."

This sounds a lot like my planned approach as well. I pulled out my copy a few minutes ago and it weighs in at over 1300 pages! Certainly plan on this one taking two weeks (or more).

message 28: by Kate S (new) - added it

Kate S | 1967 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Kate S wrote: "Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Any preferences for start date?"

I would love to see an early June start...maybe the 4th?"

Let's do it. Then everyone can read as fast or slow as they like"

Perfect. Thank you.

message 29: by Rosina (new) - added it

Rosina | 1703 comments Looking forward to starting this in the next day or two...

message 30: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments I won't be starting this before the 4th for sure (specially now with Quidditch starting), but hope to start it around then. No word yet from my library on when they are getting the cassette audiobook in for me. :P But in the meantime I have the hardcover version.

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I bought the kindle and I'm hoping to finished my other doosrstopper (The Count of Monte Cristo) before the 4th and then get stuck into this.

My exam period is over the next few weeks so I will be reading slowly

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I'' be starting next week as well on my plane trip back from HK. Should be able to read a chunk *fingers crossed*. It was his first chunkster and looking forward to it.

message 33: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1233 comments I'd like to join for this one if that's okay? I will be reading it in bits and pieces over the next few weeks. Just got it from the library. Team Pomona Sprout.

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Of course Stacey, welcome!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Hi Stacey, great to read along with you. Have you read any Rutherfurd novels before?

message 36: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1233 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Hi Stacey, great to read along with you. Have you read any Rutherfurd novels before?"

Hi Lisa! I actually read New York last year for Tower Teams -- and I enjoyed it quite a bit. But it took me a good 3 - 4 weeks as I was trying to read it around other books for other challenges. I'm guessing the same thing will happen with this one. But England is fascinating, and I'm going to visit next year so figured I may as well jump in. :)

message 37: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Hi Stacey, great to read along with you. Have you read any Rutherfurd novels before?"

I haven't read any of his books thus far. Though I have maybe 6 or so in my collection.

message 38: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1233 comments I have officially started my trek! I forgot that despite the teeny tiny type and massive page counts, this author is really a pretty easy read.

message 39: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited May 31, 2018 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I've made a start too. Yes, Stacey he is a good story teller. That's right, we did the buddy read of New York with Karen and a few others. Good to be reading with you again. You'll LOVE England!

Section 1 Journey to Sarum

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Sophie, The other one (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm starting a couple of days early, but given that I'll be reading it in little chunks in the evening before I fall asleep, this might take me a while! Been ages since I last read a Rutherford - can't remember if it was New York or Paris

message 41: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jun 02, 2018 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Both good books Sophie. The only one of his that I rated 3 stars was Russka. Didn't think the characters were as interesting or as developed as his other novels.

I've finished The Barrow and the Henge. The Henge chapter was interesting, his interpretation of how and why Stonehenge was built. He must have done quite a lot of research in this area.

Going to take a break for a couple of days now.

message 42: by Sophie, The other one (last edited Jun 02, 2018 09:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think London has been my favourite of his so far. I enjoyed Russka - might have helped that I studied Russian history from 1800 in school so had some background knowledge.

I spent my time during the first chapter trying to picture where the family were. V tricky to do given how much the landscape has changed

Victoria | 1132 comments I just started listening and about an hour into the audiobook. I'm enjoying it so far and like how it starts off with prehistory England and the formation of Britain as an Island. Although I'm excited to move further in time with the story.

This is my first Rutherford book, but sounds like he has a lot of great ones I need to read!

message 44: by Sophie, The other one (new) - rated it 3 stars

I find these slow to get going sometimes. This one has a load more background historical info than I'm used to from him as well.

Love the little details about the families physical appearance that he drops in to help keep them straight! Feel there are going to be a lot of mentions of prehensile toes!

Victoria | 1132 comments I think listening to it is making it go a bit faster for me, but I'm still only an hour or so in so who knows lol

message 46: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished chapter 1 - Journey to Sarum

I can’t believe for only 40 pages it took me about an hour to read! I kept thinking this book was a little shorter than his others, but I think the text is much more dense!!

I was surprised to start back in prehistoric times. Although I find it interesting how humans migrated and changed I’m not too sure how this will all relate as we go along. I guess we will do a big jump forward in time soon.
So hard to imagine an England where there were only 5000 humans!

What do we think... will this book follow Hwll’s generations as the “goodies”?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I’m thinking so, Karen. In my paperback there is a family tree to follow.

Just about to get back on the plane home after a fabulous week. Hope to get in a few chapters before I conk out. It’s a night flight.

message 48: by Sophie, The other one (new) - rated it 3 stars

The family tree definitely helps to see what is happening. If it's anything like other books I'll end up looking back at it a lot.

I hope you have a good flight home, Lisa

message 49: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

The problem with the kindle version is that the family tree is too small to read. Maybe I can find one online....

message 50: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "The problem with the kindle version is that the family tree is too small to read. Maybe I can find one online...."

Ah that would be annoying. I haven't started this book yet (pesky Quidditch) but I foresee checking the family tree or any other visuals that keep me knowing who is who frequently!

« previous 1 3 4