Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)
This topic is about A Wizard of Earthsea
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Le Guin, Ursula K ; A Wizard of Earthsea ; Informal Buddy read ; Starts 20 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 08, 2018 11:23PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31642 comments Mod

Synopsis
Ged, the greatest sorcerer in all Earthsea, was called Sparrowhawk in his reckless youth.

Hungry for power and knowledge, Sparrowhawk tampered with long-held secrets and loosed a terrible shadow upon the world. This is the tale of his testing, how he mastered the mighty words of power, tamed an ancient dragon, and crossed death's threshold to restore the balance

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 08, 2018 11:19PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

R

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14782 comments Mod
So looks like I can't get this from my libraries, but the kindle version is only $3 so I'm good to go whenever suits everyone. I will be reading slow between now and mid June though because I have my uni exams then and that takes lots of my reading time :(

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments When are we starting? :) What postgrad course are you taking Karen?

Eldarwen | 10489 comments Mod
We could always set this one to start after your exams are over, Karen?

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited May 09, 2018 02:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

It's a grad diploma in psychology. 10 subjects and I'm almost done with 4.
I love the subject matter - it is fascinating - but I *hate* the assessments. lol

I'm happy to start whenever suits everyone, and then I'll just read in dribs and drabs while on the train :)

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments Ok if I join you guys on this? I read it back in middle/high school, but I’ve been wanting to reread.

Of course, Teddie! The more the merrier! :-)

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Welcome on in Teddie!

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments Great! :) I just got it from the library, so I can start whenever.

message 12: by Sophie, The other one (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophie (drsophie) | 3956 comments Mod
Hopefully I'll be able to get this from the library and join you all.

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yay! Will be great to have you Dr Sophie

message 14: by kat (wanderfulbooks) (last edited May 09, 2018 04:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "It's a grad diploma in psychology. 10 subjects and I'm almost done with 4.
I love the subject matter - it is fascinating - but I *hate* the assessments. lol

I'm happy to start whenever suits every..."

I'm imagining the required readings and write ups *shudders* All the best Karen! I feel you!

message 15: by Sophie, The other one (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophie (drsophie) | 3956 comments Mod
Wow that sounds like a full on course Karen! Glad you enjoy the stuff even if assessments are not so great...

message 16: by Elen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elen | 1114 comments I really would love to join you too [Team Hermione Granger].
But I am pretty busy til mid-June, bc of final exams, writing and defending the BSc graduation thesis. After that I have Graduation but it's not so important and won't steal my reading time :D

Is it okay?
*It would be my first buddy read*

message 17: by Deanna (last edited May 09, 2018 05:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deanna | 2966 comments I have this already as well, so I can start anytime.

Jenny | 5897 comments Morning all. I have been meaning to read this series for years, so I am thrilled to have a good excuse to put it at the top of the pile.

I can start anytime as well. (Team Remus Lupin)

message 19: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i'm a bit on the fence about this but i've been meaning to read a book by this author and it's only about 200 pages so i guess i'm in. it would honestly be ideal for me to start in early june [plus i feel like a LOT of the tower teams buddy reads have set themselves up for mid to late may starts] but like i said it's short so really i can just move some stuff around and start whenever you guys want.

message 20: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments I'm on hold at the library. I'll jump in if it come on time.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I've been meaning to read this author as well - I'd like to join whenever we start. I just put in a request at my local library.

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited May 09, 2018 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Great to see you all!

So how about we start June 20? Then it isn't so close to the other BRs and a few days after the June BOM for those joining that too?

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments That sounds great to me!

message 24: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments that sounds good to me. i know we're all excited to start all our buddy reads but i think it's definitely a good idea to try to space things out

message 25: by M (new) - rated it 4 stars

M Beal | 1558 comments Am I to late to join this Buddy Read. I haven't picked up this book in over a decade and would love to read it again

Deanna | 2966 comments M wrote: "Am I to late to join this Buddy Read. I haven't picked up this book in over a decade and would love to read it again"

We're not starting until mid-June, so there's still plenty of time to join. I need to go jot the date on my calendar now that it's official.

message 27: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Join away M!

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) I'm planning to join this one!

Yay, Karen Michele! :-)

message 30: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina | 46 comments I have the trilogy because I swiped it from my brother's box of books. He'll get it back if he asks for it. Mwah ha ha.

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) My hold on the book just came in, so I'm ready to roll!

I'll read a chapter or so tonight :-)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) I'm quite impressed with the book! I've wanted to read more of Le Guin's books after enjoying the Annals of the Western Shore Trilogy, Gifts, Voices and Powers.
I love the classic nature of the magic. I'm also quite a fan of familiars, so I like that as well. It's fun to read of another wizard being trained while participating in a Harry Potter challenge!

Jenny | 5897 comments I started the audio today, but I am not crazy about the narrator. Switching to the paperback when I get home.

Deanna | 2966 comments Finished chapters 1-3 today. This is my first Ursula Le Guin book, so I don't really have any expectations.

Ogion - (view spoiler)

Jasper - (view spoiler)

Ged - (view spoiler)

message 36: by Elen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elen | 1114 comments Chapter 1 - 4.

It's my first Ursula book too. I love the writing style - old style, what I really like, it's little bit slow reading but really enjoyable.

Ged - (view spoiler)

Story: (view spoiler)

Ged and Jasper - (view spoiler)

message 37: by Elen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elen | 1114 comments Finished

Wow. What a journey. The beginning was pretty slow, but when you get hang of the book, I just flew through the book.

(view spoiler)

Overall, I really liked the story, writing style. I will continue with series.

Jenny | 5897 comments I am a couple chapters in, and I do love the writing.
(view spoiler)

Jenny | 5897 comments I hope to finish this tomorrow, before the next Quidditch match. I will be slightly distracted once that starts.
The story is getting to the point for me that I want very much to know what happens next, so it shouldn't be to do.

I've been distracted by Red Sister but I'll start reading this weekend.

Deanna | 2966 comments Finished 4-6.

The shadow - (view spoiler)

Dragons - (view spoiler)

Hunted - (view spoiler)

message 42: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose | 618 comments I just started this one last night, on chapter 5 now. I think I've been spoiled by reading the Left Hand of Darkness first, because I wasn't expecting the less complex plot and writing style in this one. I feel like I'm a good way though this book but not really much has happened

Except: (view spoiler)

Also, I'm a sucker for magic school so I really wish there were about three hundred more pages on all the obscure lessons they learn and their daily schedule. lol

Also, I would like to sign up to get a cute little rodent to follow me everywhere

Deanna | 2966 comments Rose wrote: "I just started this one last night, on chapter 5 now. I think I've been spoiled by reading the Left Hand of Darkness first, because I wasn't expecting the less complex plot and writing style in thi..."

I wish there had been more about the magic school as well.

Deanna | 2966 comments Jenny wrote: "I am a couple chapters in, and I do love the writing.
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Jenny | 5897 comments Deanna wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I am a couple chapters in, and I do love the writing.
[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

I am a little over halfway through, and I do Like Ged now. This gets so much better the further along one reads.

Deanna | 2966 comments Finished 7 - end

The first half of the book was a bit slow, but the plot picked up and held my attention by the halfway point.

Ogion - (view spoiler)

The hunt - (view spoiler)

Vetch - (view spoiler)

message 47: by Elen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elen | 1114 comments Rose wrote: "Also, I'm a sucker for magic school so I really wish there were about three hundred more pages on all the obscure lessons they learn and their daily schedule. lol

Also, I would like to sign up to get a cute little rodent to follow me everywhere"

I would love to read more about the magic school too. Just school life will be awesome. :)

Me too!! I would love to have a little otak with me everywhere!

Jenny | 5897 comments Yes. Otak is so fun, but my two kitties might object.
I want to be able to turn into a big bird of prey at will. I have flying dreams- have had since I was a kid- and it would be so cool to actually be able to do it!

Jenny | 5897 comments Finished, but going to bed now. I will add more thoughts soon.

Jenny | 5897 comments I liked this. I kind of wish I had read it as a child, the wonder of it and the characters would probably have resonated more with my younger self. But, I am enchanted enough to want to read the next one too. Another buddy read anyone?

(view spoiler)

« previous 1