Kenyons Minions discussion

Death Doesn't Bargain (Deadman's Cross, #2)
This topic is about Death Doesn't Bargain
Sea Wolves/Deadman's Cross > Death Doesn't Bargain (Deadman's Cross #2)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1798 comments Synopsis from the Official Site:

The Deadmen are back…

But so are the demons who have broken free of their eternal prison and are bent on mankind’s destruction.

The worst of the lot is Vine, determined to claim their lives for taking hers. She will see the world burn…and has the perfect lure to destroy them and Thorn, leader of the Hellchasers, once and for all.

Kalder Dupree has never known a day of mercy. Born to a mer-race who prides themselves on cruelty, he sacrificed himself for the only woman who has ever shown him kindness. Locked in a hell realm, he doesn’t expect anyone to come to his rescue. He accepts the fact that he was born alone and that he twice died that way— once by his own mother’s hand.

Cameron Jack is determined to set Kalder free. As a Hellchaser Deadman, it’s her calling, but her resolve stems more from the fact that she’s the reason he died in the first place. If not for him, she’d still be suffering. And she cannot allow even a not-so-innocent to be tortured for an act of kindness that spared her damnation.

To defeat evil, it sometimes takes an even worse evil, and Cameron is willing to do whatever she must to make this right. Even make a bargain with the Devyl and the devil himself. If Vine thought she had her hands full before, she hasn’t seen anything nearly as powerful as Cameron’s resolve.

Hell hath no fury as a woman wronged, and two of them are now about to face off, with the very fate of humanity hinging on the one who emerges victorious.

message 2: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1798 comments As usual, we ask that you be respectful in your posts, and to use spoiler tags as appropriate for the first week after release.

message 3: by Bren (last edited May 07, 2018 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments I'm almost done and omg.

message 4: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1798 comments Unfortunately, there are several of us who will not receive our book until later tonight.

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments I get it, I'll come back tomorrow when more of you have read it :).

Marie | 1447 comments Starting to read it RIGHT NOW!!! :D

message 7: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1798 comments Started reading it this afternoon! =)

Marie | 1447 comments So... this was shorter than I expected

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments Yeah, it felt really short.

Marie | 1447 comments I think we're spoiled from all the super-long books she's written for DH, like Styxx and Acheron, and soon Stygian

message 11: by Marie (last edited May 09, 2018 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments About Savitar: (view spoiler)

message 12: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments (view spoiler)

Marie | 1447 comments Savitar: (view spoiler)

message 14: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

message 15: by Marie (last edited May 09, 2018 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments (view spoiler)

message 16: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments Vine did something to Will in the first book? I actually forgot about that

message 18: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments I think it was her? I'll check.

message 19: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments Here it is, it's after she stabs Mara:

Strixa arched a brow as if she disapproved and wanted to say something, but didn’t speak while Vine made her way over to Duel’s henchman. How Duel had always been able to inspire such loyalty from those around him, Vine had never understood. And this particular little tossling pet of Duel’s … he’d been a nuisance almost as much as her ex-husband, so it was time she put the bastard to use.

Touching him on the brow, she cast her spell. “I think I shall let Duel kill you for me.”

After that Will lied to Bane about what had happened between Vine and Mara, so Vine probably messed with Will's head or something.

Marie | 1447 comments uh. (view spoiler)

message 21: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

about Thorn (view spoiler)

message 23: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments Neona wrote: "about Thorn [spoilers removed]"

In Infamous Thorn said to Nick that he had legit ruined all the people he loved, so he's gotta be talking about his wife too right since CoN is centuries after Deadman's Cross?

message 24: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments Malachaibubble12 wrote: "Neona wrote: "about Thorn [spoilers removed]"

In Infamous Thorn said to Nick that he had legit ruined all the people he loved, so he's gotta be talking about his wife too right since CoN is centur..."

I just can't think of any character that we have met before that could be his wife.

message 25: by Marie (last edited May 14, 2018 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments Malachaibubble12 wrote: (view spoiler)

message 26: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments What's with the Karma/Thorn shipping? Did I miss something?

message 27: by Marie (last edited May 14, 2018 07:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments Jo thought there was a vibe between them, Karma always refused to say who the father of her son was, and we know from CON that she's been tricked by evil/darkness in the past. If all those things are connected, could be that Thorn is the father of Karma's kid but she didn't know who he was when they slept together and as a result, she might believe, like Brigid (?), that he used her.

message 28: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments I do remember that, I just idk I can't see it. And I do think Karma's baby daddy is probably a demon, probably the one that tricked her, but I don't think Thorn would do something like that.

message 29: by Marie (last edited May 14, 2018 07:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments Me neither, which is why I think that, if Thorn is the dad, then there is some big misunderstanding going on that would explain why Karma isn't acknowledging it or him, and why she's supposedly been "tricked" by evil. I don't think Thorn would actually use her, but he didn't intend to use Bridgid either and she still ended up believing he did and hated him for it.

message 30: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments Are the swords inherited in each Necrodemian line technically Sephiroth swords but they have a "soul" medallion attached to it?

message 31: by Marie (last edited May 15, 2018 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments The Sephiroth swords were supposed to be destroyed after the Primus Bellum. They weren't, but for all intent and purposes, people thought they had been. The Necrodemians' swords are a loophole. Since the Sephirii were killed and their swords were "destroyed", the whole system of medallions was invented to get around that agreement.

message 32: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments So the Sarim (or whatever that council of angels is called)-such as Michael and Gabriel are all technically just Sephiroths? Cuz, if so then that makes no sense given the whole deal that the Mavromino and Kalosum made to end the Primus Bellum.

Marie | 1447 comments They are Seraphs, not sephirii

message 34: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments Marie wrote: "They are Seraphs, not sephirii"

I don't get how that wouldn't still count as Sephirii, since aren't Gabriel and Michael basically the same as Sephirii?? Is it just cuz their jobs are different?

message 35: by Marie (last edited May 15, 2018 07:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments They're not Sephirii anymore than the Arelim are Sephirii. They're Seraphs. I'm pretty sure it's a completely different species. What makes you think Gabriel and Michael are "basically the same as Sephirii"? We know one Sephiroth and we've almost never seen Gabriel, Michael or any other Seraph.

message 36: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments Marie wrote: "They're not Sephirii anymore than the Arelim are Sephirii. They're Seraphs. I'm pretty sure it's a completely different species. What makes you think Gabriel and Michael are "basically the same as ..."

It's just that i don't understand their lineage. Because if the "angels" are the starter ancestors for the Hellhunters/Necrodemians then wouldn't they have to be the direct child of a Sephiroth warrior in order for the "angels" to have been able to have a Sephiroth sword in the first place AND thus have the ability to hand the sword down to *their* own descendants?

message 37: by Marie (last edited May 15, 2018 08:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments They're not sephiroth swords. The Sephiroth swords were all in Shadow's possession until they were stolen.

The swords the Hell-hunters are using are completely different swords that come with medallions that hosts the soul of a warrior from some ancient badass angelic race that kept getting killed off because they were small in numbers. Hell-Hunters are descendants from the bloodlines of Seraphs, but as far as I know, it's not actually the Seraphs' souls that are in those medallions. That wouldn't make any sense since the way the medallion works is that the Hell-Hunters become possessed by the "angel's" soul in battle, but we've seen Gabriel and Michael walk around so we know they're not stuck in a medallion.

It's just that their descendants' angelic blood enables them to channel the angelic souls in the medallions.

Or maybe the better term would be Kalosum blood and soul.

message 38: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments Marie wrote: "They're not sephiroth swords. The Sephiroth swords were all in Shadow's possession until they were stolen.

The swords the Hell-hunters are using are completely different swords that come with med..."

Ohhh! I was getting the term Seraph and Sephiroth sword confused. Sherri has got to try out some different sounding/spelled words that AREN'T so familiar!

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited May 16, 2018 10:30AM) (new)

Malachaibubble12 wrote: "Marie wrote: "They're not sephiroth swords. The Sephiroth swords were all in Shadow's possession until they were stolen.

The swords the Hell-hunters are using are completely different swords that..."

At least you're not like me and constantly confusing the term Sephiroth with the Final Fantasy character

message 40: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments Neona wrote: "Malachaibubble12 wrote: "Marie wrote: "They're not sephiroth swords. The Sephiroth swords were all in Shadow's possession until they were stolen.

The swords the Hell-hunters are using are complet..."

Lol! After a while of DH/CoN reading I was on tumblr and would keep seeing people talking about a Sephiroth. I was confused for a couple minutes and wondering "what does Jared have anything to do with Disney?"

Marie | 1447 comments Hahaha! XD

Marie | 1447 comments You know what I am maybe, mildly disappointed by? I kinda of thought (view spoiler)

message 43: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments Marie wrote: "You know what I am maybe, mildly disappointed by? I kinda of thought [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, it makes you wonder why none of the other Malachai's with their inherited memories and all didn't track her down and kill her permanently. Maybe the Arelim hid her out of time so that they couldn't get to her?

message 44: by Marie (last edited May 20, 2018 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments Malachaibubble12 wrote: "Marie wrote: "You know what I am maybe, mildly disappointed by? I kinda of thought [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, it makes you wonder why none of the other Malachai's with their inherited memories and ..."

I'm pretty sure she was just dropped at the perfect time to strike, promptly killed by each Malachai, and then brought back to "life" in the Arel realm. Then rinse and repeat.

But I still feel like someone, somewhere, should have noticed the Arel assassin. There should be a legend about her. Some family lore in Nick's family at least

message 45: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments Marie wrote: "Malachaibubble12 wrote: "Marie wrote: "You know what I am maybe, mildly disappointed by? I kinda of thought [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, it makes you wonder why none of the other Malachai's with thei..."

It never said that she was killed every time. I think it just said she was defeated each time.

message 46: by Marie (last edited May 20, 2018 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments Well, Adarian stabbed her to death. I remember reading that. Or something similar that implied it like "he ran his sword through her heart" or something.

As an Arel, she is a ghost and the physical form she has in CON is a "borrowed body", so even if she was killed, she's already dead and her bosses would just give her a new body and send her on her way to kill another Malachai. But, honestly, whether she was killed each time or not doesn't really matter. The point is the same freakin' Arel assassin keeps trying to kill every Malachai and I feel like someone should have noticed. Not just the Nick's ancestors, but, say, their allies or enemies or just random gods should have noticed and wondered why the Arelim, the protectors of Order and Truth, would endanger the balance of the universe in such a way

message 47: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments I remember that she specifically said that she hesitated and she let her fight up against Adarian be fair by letting him recuperate (as he had JUST gotten out of Azmodea so he was super weak). It was her big mistake as in return for her mercy Adarian "spat in her face with his own brand of evil."

message 48: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments As for why no one noticed that an Arel kept coming back to assassinate every single Malachai: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Marie | 1447 comments Ooooh, if she let him recuperate, maybe we will get to see that scene after all

message 50: by Marie (last edited May 20, 2018 09:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie | 1447 comments You know what weirds me out though? (view spoiler)

« previous 1