Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM - June, 2018 - Then Came You

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Priya (last edited May 04, 2018 02:08AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Discussion thread for June, 2018 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions).

Happy reading:)

Then Came You
Then Came You (The Gamblers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

A woman with a secret . . .

Reckless beauty Lily Lawson delights in shocking London society. She will break any rule to get what she wants . . . and she is determined to stop her younger sister from marrying Alex, Lord Wolverton, a handsome and arrogant earl who has vowed never to fall in love.

A man who will do anything to possess her . . .

To Alex's fury, the headstrong hellion presents a temptation he can't resist. He vows to make her pay dearly for her interference—with her body, her soul, and her stubborn, well-guarded heart.

As Alex and Lily challenge each other at every turn, they are caught up in a white-hot desire that burns through every defense and exposes the mystery of Lily's past . . . and together they discover that love is the most dangerous game of all.

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1192 comments Woohoo!

message 3: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments Priya, I see you only rated this book two stars.

message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4104 comments Mod
I have this one rated, but I don’t remember reading it. I came to the conclusion that I must have accidentally rated it. I will be joining in on this one for sure.

message 5: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments I certainly like Lisa Kleypas, and I have never read this book either.

message 6: by Priya (last edited May 05, 2018 03:34AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mariana wrote: "Priya, I see you only rated this book two stars."

I read this a year ago and don't remember why I gave it 2stars. I didn't enter any private notes on goodreads at that time, but I have the habit of writing down what I liked/disliked in a book. I need to check my book to see what made me give a LK book such low rating.

message 7: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments Jan130 wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I certainly like Lisa Kleypas, and I have never read this book either."

Me too, Mariana. I want to read more of her backlist, and I think I have an old PB copy of this somewhere (t..."

Hope you find it. I am looking forward to this group read.

message 8: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments Priya wrote: "Mariana wrote: "Priya, I see you only rated this book two stars."

I read this a year ago and don't remember why I gave it 2stars. I didn't enter any private notes on goodreads at that time, but I ..."

I am certainly curious.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments 2 stars? :/ I do want to give it a try, though.

message 10: by Geri (new)

Geri I read this in 2012. Rated it 4 stars. But I don’t remember a thing! I’ll join everyone for a reread.

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Woot! I haven't read this one yet!

message 12: by Priya (last edited Jun 06, 2018 02:43AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mariana wrote: "Priya, I see you only rated this book two stars."

I checked my notes. I gather that I didn't like (view spoiler) I am not sure if I would give the same rating if I read it now.

message 13: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I feel like re-reading it. So, I am in!

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Shannon wrote: "Woot! I haven't read this one yet!"

Replying to myself! LOL I guess I have read this. It was an audio book. Duh. I seem to have liked it. Maybe this time I'll read the e-book. It's sort of like forgetting what I ate for dinner last night. ;)

I need to make a list of books I actually remember the plot and the characters.

Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 | 732 comments This is one of Lisa Kleypas novels that I have not read yet. So I'm in for the Une read.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I have this one rated, but I don’t remember reading it. I came to the conclusion that I must have accidentally rated it. I will be joining in on this one for sure."

Haha....this is me! I forgot that I listened to this book. I guess I should try it again. I think I liked it, but obviously not enough to remember the story. Either that or I'm old. LOL

message 17: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 341 comments Oh a LK I haven't read! I fear I've read it but just not marked it.

Eh, re-reads are just as important.

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments Eek. Time to start this one already???? I'm gonna try to finish off a couple of others first, but then I want to try it. Will revisit this conversation when I get started.

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments Ooh! I just checked to see whether I own the kindle version or not, and it's on sale for $1.99 (in Australia, anyway). *click*

message 20: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments Too bad it's not on sale in the US. My library does not have this one, so I will have to purchase.

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments Welp, now I've got the cheap kindle version, so I've started! Who else has started? I haven't read this one before.

I'm at 12%. It's obviously an early Kleypas, and has a different feel from her more recent books. I must say I'm not usually a fan of the feisty, rebellious type heroine who doesn't fit into the mores of her time period. But there's something about Lily that I like so far. We'll see! The H, Alex, looks promising too. SFSG!

There are also some lovely glimpses of Derek Craven. I read his book ages ago Dreaming of You Dreaming of You (The Gamblers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas
At the time I liked but didn't love it. i'd like to reread it once I've finished this one now.

message 22: by Paige (new)

Paige | 14 comments This must be a popular title because I'm #9 on the waitlist for this title in my library.

message 23: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments I voted for this one! In spite of that fact, I will probably not start until the last half of the month. I want to check at Half Price Books before I pay full price for the Kindle version.

message 24: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments OK, I understand, Paige and Mariana. Is anyone else currently reading? I'm at 43% and still not sure whether I like Lily or not :/ I accept she has a lot to deal with, but some of her behaviours are questionable. (view spoiler)

But I still want to read on :)

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1192 comments I hope to star this weekend.

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Jan130 wrote: "OK, I understand, Paige and Mariana. Is anyone else currently reading? I'm at 43% and still not sure whether I like Lily or not :/ I accept she has a lot to deal with, but some of her behaviours ar..."
LOL....I had to laugh at your spoiler. I'm about 30% through and still trying to remember the story I obviously read before. From your spoiler...Now I remember!

Lily is a hard one to judge. I like that she's different, but she's also a little out there. (view spoiler) Regardless, I am enjoying cleaning house to the audio. And I love LK

message 27: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments Yeah I'm on the fence with Lily at the moment, but I'm a big LK fan too, so, we'll see.

message 28: by Sue (new)

Sue | 97 comments I hope I can find time to read the novel with the group, I have been trying to read this novel for ages. I absolutely loved 'Dreaming of You'.

message 29: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments Sue, I'm not liking it as much as Dreaming Of You, which I only 3.5 starred anyway.

In this one, I'm at 58% now and still not that rapt. I'm not that keen on Lily and her behaviour. Yes, she has reasons, but her back story still isn't enough to make me really respect her as a h. And I didn't like the way (view spoiler)

message 30: by Missy (semi-hiatus) (last edited Jun 15, 2018 01:25AM) (new)

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1192 comments I’m only at 15%. Lily and Alex reminds me of Lilian Bowman and Lord Westcliff, particularly during the hunting scene.

Lee at ReadWriteWish (leeatreadwritewish) | 20 comments I was struggling with this book at the beginning. Lily was just too much of a Mary-Sue and all that garbage about pursuing manly interests - the fox hunt, the card playing blah blah blah. I instantly hated Derek and didn't really understand his inclusion into the story at all. (I assume LK uses him in future books, but I wouldn't rush to read.) I'm now 56% into the book and suddenly I'm addicted and can't stop reading! LOL There's still a zillion plot holes and some of the situations are so forced, it's insane. But Lily and Alex have developed a great chemistry and I'm eager to find out their resolution. I still hate Derek though.

message 32: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments Derek has his own book in a sequel. He's much nicer in his own book.

Dreaming of You Dreaming of You (The Gamblers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas

Tina | BookishKiss (bookishkiss) | 19 comments I read the 2nd one and LOVED it to pieces. I skipped the 1st, but now i am thinking of reading..,

I havent read anything in this thread yet

message 34: by Missy (semi-hiatus) (last edited Jun 15, 2018 10:37PM) (new)

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1192 comments I, too, didn’t really understand Derek’s inclusion in this book other than LK introducing the hero for the sequel (which I read first). If I haven’t read the sequel first, I don’t know if I would have been interested in reading more about Derek. Maybe if Derek have had more appearances and made greater contributions to this book, I would understand why he was included.

The first couple of chapters did dragged on a little bit. I recall getting past 30% and whining, “This is not going fast enough!” Lol

I love almost all of LK’s heroes. Alex is one of them. He’s such a tender, loving, caring, and understanding hero, almost too good for Lily. I especially adore that moment where he (view spoiler)

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 109 comments Jan130 wrote: "Derek has his own book in a sequel. He's much nicer in his own book.

Dreaming of You Dreaming of You (The Gamblers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas"

That's good to know since I wasn't sure about him after this book. I was actually really disappointed in the type of person he turned out to be. But LK does have a way of redeeming people (see: Devil in Winter)

message 36: by Midniteillusion (Desiree) (last edited Jun 16, 2018 02:11PM) (new)

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 109 comments So I obviously seem to be in the minority with my absolute love of this book.

It captured me from the very beginning. I loved both Lily and Alex throughout the entire book. The both had something painful in their lives that was dark and hurtful. I really enjoyed how Lily's spirit and feistiness helped Alex overcome the darkness he was living in. His spirit in turn showed Lily that she wasn't alone anymore. That she could rely on someone other than herself for once.

Some of us are strong because we've had to be, had to rely on only ourselves for emotional support. I was able to connect very deeply to Lily because of this. Though I'm not completely in her circumstances I I understand the strength it takes to be your only support system, it makes us put up walls so we seem tougher than we really are. Push people away so we're not hurt more that we already are. We all need someone like Alex (not like Derick) who will push back and break through our barriers and show us that we're not alone, that we can rely on someone who won't reject us as soon as they don't like something we do (like Lily's family).

I loved Lily's passion for everything she does. Weather it trying to bring happiness to her sister and her friend or putting on a show for those around her, her capacity to love, her passion for Alex, and for (view spoiler)

I put this book at the top of my Lisa Kleypas list with Devil in Winter and Again the Magic.

Not sure when I'll read the second book in the series but since I already own it I'm sure I'll get to it eventually and hope Derick can be redeemed.

message 37: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments Midniteillusion wrote: "Jan130 wrote: "Derek has his own book in a sequel. He's much nicer in his own book.

Dreaming of You Dreaming of You (The Gamblers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas"

That's good to know since I wasn't sure abou..."

I might be wrong, but I think Evie's dad (from Devil In Winter), Ivo Jenner, is a contemporary and rival of Derek - I think he appears in Dreaming of You as secondary character. (I'm ready to stand corrected if I've gotten that wrong!)

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1192 comments No, you're correct, Jan.

message 39: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments Thank you Missy.

So, Midniteillusion, more motivation for you to read Dreaming Of You! Glad you loved Then Came You so much. I'm still a little on the fence, but I do intend to finish it.

message 40: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Taylor (authorvtaylor) I have have only read half this book and I love it. I am assuming it is a very early Kleypas because of the many mistakes. Either that, or she had a poor editor. Also the head hopping is irritating and I get lost occasionally, but her characterisations are wonderful. The story is rather similar in places to Faro's Daughter, one of my favourite Heyers. Lily is an idiot, but isn't everyone when they are young and passionate? She wouldn't make a great partner for many men, but Kleypas has found her a perfect partner in this story. Her writing is so vivid and charming that I read way past midnight last night and I can't wait to have time to read more. I like Derek and can see he will be a future hero. In fact, I think I may have read the one where he was the hero. I may need to revisit Kleypas.

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 109 comments Jan130 wrote: "Thank you Missy.

So, Midniteillusion, more motivation for you to read Dreaming Of You! Glad you loved Then Came You so much. I'm still a little on the fence, but I do intend to finish it."

Yes I'll have to read it. Probably sooner rather than later so I don't forget anything from this book.

I'm glad I enjoyed it so much too because I've been in a book slump. Nothing has really pulled me lately and this one was one I stayed up WAY too late reading and wanted to read anything I could.

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 109 comments Virginia wrote: "I have have only read half this book and I love it. I am assuming it is a very early Kleypas because of the many mistakes. Either that, or she had a poor editor. Also the head hopping is irritating..."

I'm glad you're enjoying it too. :)

Lee at ReadWriteWish (leeatreadwritewish) | 20 comments Virginia wrote: "I have have only read half this book and I love it. I am assuming it is a very early Kleypas because of the many mistakes. Either that, or she had a poor editor. Also the head hopping is irritating..." I noticed the head hopping too. It was very distracting for a while.

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Mccabe I read this one awhile back, and rated it 4 stars. I remember I almost gave up on it after 50 pages, but stuck with it. It definitely gets better as you go, as does the love hate relationship you will develop with Lilly.

message 45: by Missy (semi-hiatus) (last edited Jun 20, 2018 06:31PM) (new)

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1192 comments It's so nice to see more members comment during this BOTM.

message 46: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments Melissa wrote: "I read this one awhile back, and rated it 4 stars. I remember I almost gave up on it after 50 pages, but stuck with it. It definitely gets better as you go, as does the love hate relationship you w..."

Nice to hear that it gets better, Melissa, cos I'm kinda stalled at the moment. I need to give it another try.

Yes, Missy, the more the merrier.

message 47: by Lee at ReadWriteWish (last edited Jun 21, 2018 04:08AM) (new)

Lee at ReadWriteWish (leeatreadwritewish) | 20 comments Well, I finished. The ending dragged a little. I think the 2nd part of the book is great. The beginning was horrid, as a lot have pointed out and I struggled big time. Then, I really enjoyed it for quite a while, only to find Kleypas got muddled with just too many things going on near the end. Anyway, I decided on a 3 out of 5.

message 48: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2089 comments I finished too. The second half did move more quickly than the first half. I didn't completely love it, though. I also give 3 out of 5. There are some elements of the wonderful Kleypas we know and love, but to me it definitely feels like an early book, with the writing style not yet fully formed. The sex scenes aren't very well done IMO, and the characters themselves are flawed in ways I found difficult to connect with.

I also felt as if Alex changed his personality about half way through the book, and that didn't really work for me.

So overall, I liked parts and didn't like some other parts. So not a fully successful book for me. But it has inspired me to go back to reread Derek's story now I understand him a little better.

How is everyone else going with their reading?

message 49: by Sue (last edited Jun 25, 2018 01:12PM) (new)

Sue | 97 comments Midniteillusion wrote: "So I obviously seem to be in the minority with my absolute love of this book.

It captured me from the very beginning. I loved both Lily and Alex throughout the entire book. The both had something..."

Midniteillusion wrote: "So I obviously seem to be in the minority with my absolute love of this book.

It captured me from the very beginning. I loved both Lily and Alex throughout the entire book. The both had something..."
https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-se...

I am loving this book, I like it as much as 'Dreaming Of You' they are such a sharp contrast with each other.

I am glad I read this series out of order as I was not impressed with Derek in this novel.

I love Lily, she is completely bonkers and really out there with her antics. I think she desperately wants the thing that was stolen from her back (and why would she not!) and I think this causes her to act desperately and with nothing to lose attitude spills over into every day life. I feel for her desperation.

Alex was on a path of blandness until Lily came along, and added colour, spice, fun and love to his life. I love that Alex trusts Lily and waits for her to trust him.

I have a feeling I may burst in to tears at the end - maybe if I had not skim read the last few chapters of the novel.

message 50: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments I've been meaning to stop by here and read this thread because I had such mixed emotions about this book.

I'd read it before but didn't remember it until (view spoiler) Then I remembered snippets.

One thing I must agree on is Derek. I really didn't like the way he treated her after the bet either. I can't see a so-called friend doing that, especially one that has been helping her with her search.

My second issue was her daughter. If she were so close, had seen her from the alley, then why all the sex scenes after. The second half of the book revolved around the sex and left off this gut wrenching story about her daughter until the very end. I'm not a huge fan of realistic behavior in my romances (that's why I read them after all) but a lost child was too serious a trope to leave behind for all the fooling around.

All that said, I did give it 4 stars the first time around, and I didn't change that the second time. Even with the flaws in the story, I somehow liked these characters together. The hero mostly. And I very much loved the ending where they needed each other to work through their difficulties. For that I gave it the stars. The HEA was rewarding and worth the read.

Now, Derek? I can't see me liking him in his own story, but now I'm intrigued.

« previous 1