Start by marking “Again the Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Again the Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5)

Again the Magic (Wallflowers 0.5)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  27,791 Ratings  ·  1,270 Reviews
She gave him her innocence…

Lady Aline Marsden was brought up for one reason: to make an advantageous marriage to a member of her own class. Instead, she willingly gave her innocence to John McKenna, a servant on her father's estate. Their passionate transgression was unforgivable—John was sent away, and Aline was left to live in the countryside... an exile from London soci
Mass Market Paperback, 391 pages
Published May 26th 2015 by Avon (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Again the Magic, please sign up.
Jacolien Louw Hi
Hi
I've read the entire wallflower series...Livia,Aline, McKenna and Gideon are in "It happen one Autumn" but the story is not about them at all...I loved this series...definitely worth reading. (less)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Scars of the past Stars

photo chelsea-says-enoy_zpsgp1hvwhm.gif

Again the Magic was a good read. It's has two love stories in it. This book kinda reminded me of 2 of Jane Austen's books. Pride and Prejudice because it has two sister's love stories in it. Aline reminded me of Elizabeth Bennet and Livia reminded me of Jane Bennet. It also reminded me of Persuasion with the second chance love story about the hero being beneath the heroine's station in live so he goes off makes something of himself and comes back to rub it in her face o
Shawna
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of historical romance with 'childhood friends-to-lovers', 'revenge', & 'reunited lovers' themes
Recommended to Shawna by: Eastofoz
5+ stars – Historical Romance

I really enjoyed (loved!) this touching, emotional read of two childhood best friends turned sweethearts of opposing social classes whose love is torn apart by unfair prejudices, society rules and expectations, secrets, lies, mistrust, pride, and vanity.

I loved McKenna, even when he was plotting Lady Aline’s ruin and being a cruel alpha, and his volatile and intense emotional reactions were so brutally honest and heartbreaking. Aline’s staunch secrecy and foolish pr
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers and Fans of Lisa Kleypas' Wallflowers series.
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: Someone who was really, really smart!

Lisa Kleypas has done it again, and in a big way. Again the Magic is a wonderful story with so many dimensions and so much depth that I was up until the wee hours of the morning, unable to put it down. This story is actually a “prequel” to the Wallflowers series. While I’ve never seen it listed as a numbered book in the series, the characters in Again the Magic are featured heavily in It Happened One Autumn, book 2 of the Wallflowers, as well as in the other Wallflower novels.

There are so many g
Auntee
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Kleypas's Wallflowers
Boy did I love this one, but the TSTL heroine almost ruined it for me! Oh Aline, what you put poor McKenna through...

My thoughts...

I should have known what I was in for, after blubbering and sniffing my way through the first 3 chapters--this was one angsty read! I totally fell for (John) McKenna, who went from bastard stableboy in love with a beautiful, unattainable daughter of a duke, to millionaire American in 12 short years. When 19 year old Lady Aline Marsden sent young McKenna away (and how
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*4 Stars*

An enjoyable, steamy escape!

This isn't exactly breaking news to romance readers, but Lisa Kleypas is a goddess in her genre. She truly excels in her steamy love scenes which are as passionate as they are explicit. Again the Magic is an edgy historical romance that offers a double dose of taboo love during a time where venturing outside of one's social class was not only unheard of, but inarguably forbidden.

Our main couple, Aline and McKenna, are childhood friends who gradually and help
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars (but I'm rounding it down to 3 stars because I didn't like it as much as the other LK books I've rated 4 stars.)

I'm not going to write a review because there are already a gazillion reviews not only here but all over the internet. I'm just going to point out what I liked/disliked in this book, since I seem to be in the minority for not loving it as "everyone else".

Likes:
- McKenna, Gideon, Livia, Westclif... In sum, every character but Aline (and her father, of course.)
- The beginning
Anna
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anna by: "That's All" Ash
5 TAKE ME AS I AM ~ stars !!

Since the day that John McKenna had been brought to the estate at the age of 8, he and Aline had been constant companions for ten years, climbing trees, swimming in the river, and running around barefoot. But eventually things had begun to change between them. No healthy young man could fail to be stirred and set off-kilter by Aline, who at the age of 17, had become the loveliest girl on God's green earth.

Lady Aline Marsden

Warm, high-spirited, and beautiful in all way
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
If I were asked to choose one special book by my favourite author Lisa Kleypas, it would have to be AGAIN THE MAGIC, the prequel to her Wallflower series. The emotional impact of this powerful and moving love story never diminishes no matter how many times I read it.

Aline Marsden and John McKenna are young and passionately in love, but it's a forbidden love. Aline is the eldest daughter of the Earl of Westcliff while McKenna is a mere stable lad on her father's estate. Their happiness comes to a
Mo
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"I’ll marry no man but you McKenna. And if you ever leave me, I’ll be alone for the rest of my life."
"Aline …. I would never leave unless you told me to go …"

Aline was his curse, his fate, his consuming desire. He would never stop wanting her, no matter what she did, no matter how many oceans and continents he managed to put between them.

"No man on earth has ever hated sunrise as much as I do."

"You sleep too," she said groggily, her hand creeping to the center of his chest.
"No." McKenna s
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

“Perhaps only those who had loved and lost could appreciate this magic.”

I think I say this in all of my historical romance reviews, but it's not really a genre I enjoy reading most of the time unless it is done well. Having been a history major in college it really grinds my gears when the suspension of disbelief gets to be too much. That was not the case with this book. I was easily able to take a step back and enjoy this angsty romance for what is was: a great second chance roman
Daniella
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“For thousands of nights I dreamed of making love to you. No man on earth has ever hated sunrise as much as I do.”

I would give this 10+ stars if I could, because Again the Magic is one of the best romance stories I've ever read.

What made this so impressive was the fact that almost all the characters were so beautifully written and well-developed. They were so alive. Even the secondary characters had depth. They weren't simply there to support McKenna and Aline, but they also had a lot to offer.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
4.5 stars. The only thing which kept me from holding back on a 5 star is that I missed the frequent humor which I've loved in other books by this author. The reason I consistently recommend Kleypas to friends of mine who don't read historical romance is because many of her books have it all : good story, steamy romance, and plenty of moments which will make you laugh.

That said, this is still probably my favorite Kleypas to date. I had tears come to my eyes quite frequently while reading. From th
NMmomof4
3 Stars

Overall Opinion: This is a hard one to rate tbh. It has two couples and two different storylines. While Aline and McKenna definitely take the primary position, I actually liked Gideon and Livia better. Both Aline and McKenna made some choices towards the end that was really off-putting to me. The ending was also lackluster in that I didn't get the closure I wanted, but I get that this is the beginning of a series so I'm sure these characters will show up in the later books. I wouldn't sa
Amy (Foxy)
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy (Foxy) by: Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
***4.5 From a stable boy to a king stars***

FORBIDDEN LOVE IN 1800's!

An orphan stable boy and a high class girl's friendship blossoms into a forbidden love. Aline's father does NOT find McKenna to be worthy of his upperclass daughter. He sends McKenna away.
"I'll love you until the day I did. You're the only man I'll ever want, McKenna, the only -"

TWELVE YEARS LATER

McKenna is now an accomplished man who has revenge in his heart. He has returned Stony Cross. Aline has a cross to bear that
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I definitely had some issues with this one, including my most hated trope of all time happening not once, but TWICE in this novel *facepalm*. I also had issues with the language regarding males 'posessing' and 'owning' women and consent (COZ Y'ALL. CONSENT IS IMPORTANT), but I read this in less than 24 hours and I couldn't put it down despite my frustrations. I grew really attached to the characters even though I wanted to hit them over the head multiple times. I hope the following books in this ...more
Duchess Nicole
FIVE STARS!!!

Lisa Kleypas is simply a master Historical Romance writer!!

If you've read her, then you know what I mean. If you haven't, DO IT NOW!!! You're missing out on some of the most heartfelt, swoony, so-romantic-your-eyes-fill-with-tears stories. Seriously, I teared up at least three times while reading Again the Magic. My chest actually hurt. And these aren't sad tears. They're over the top girlie tears that only happen when I gain a new book boyfriend.

McKenna is a classic LK hero in tha
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Romance Readers!
5 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den
“The worst thing you can do for love is deny it; so when you find that special someone, don't let anyone or anything to get in your way.”
~ Author Unknown

“It hurts to love someone and not be loved in return, but what is the most painful is to love someone and never find the courage to let the person know how you feel.”
~ Author Unknown
Lisa Kleypas is one of my absolute favourite authors. Most of her books are keepers for me. I devoured her
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

This is my second historical romance this year and I've added it to my favourite reads of 2016. Lisa Kleypas where have you been all my life?! A few friends have recommended this series to me and I kept thinking..."Nah, it
Ronyell
Imagine having loved someone at a young age, but you both realize that it was a forbidden type of love and at the time, you thought that the only way to protect your lover is to drive them away from your life. Well, that is what had happened in Lisa Kleypas’ historical romance novel, “Again the Magic.” “Again the Magic” has drama, romance, lies, secrets and excitement that outshines from most romance novels ever written and it will have you waiting in anticipation as you read this book!

Years ago
Eastofoz
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who like childhood friends who become lovers
This book was phe-no-men-al! We’re talking an A+ read here! It starts out quick so that you’re right into the thick of it all and it just keeps you turning those pages to see what’s going to happen. Don’t start this book in the evening because unless you’re a super fast reader you will not be sleeping any time soon!

McKenna is one wicked hero. He’s so intense and not afraid to tell Aline that he loves her. He cries, he laughs, he broods —he’s just one amazing alpha! His deep-seated hatred for Ali
Laura the Highland Hussy
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This one has been reviewed by soo many of my friends, that this will be short, and not in anyway a summary.

***There Will Be Spoilers Ahead***

I'm in love with a stable boy...no really. ::sigh:: McKenna

I loved Aline and McKenna, and how we got to see them before the betrayal.

I thought the way McKenna came back to hurt Aline was soo well done. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I am a sucker for the betrayal and redemption plot...but only if it works. And this one worked. I agreed with Aline th
Jo
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes HR!
“I’ll marry no one but you, McKenna,” she whispered. “And if you ever leave me, I’ll be alone for the rest of my life.”
His dark head lowered over hers. “Aline,” he said in the hushed voice that he might have used in prayer. “I would never leave unless you told me to go.”

Now this is how a second-chance romance is supposed to be written. I ADORE this book!

Lady Aline Marsden and John McKenna grew up together. She’s nobility and he’s a mere servant on their estate, but that never mattered to

Didi
I. LOVED. THIS.

I don't think I'm capable of writing a review that would even skim the surface of how good this book was. Can LK write anything lacklustre? The woman is a master, a thief of perfectly written prose. If she wrote an instruction manual about proper lawn care I would damn well read it!

Again the Magic was everything a beautiful and intoxicating HR should be. I was either tearing up or revered by the writing, it was insane!

Add to that a very poignant and heartbreaking friends-to-lovers
sraxe
Oh yay...another book in which the hero doesn't remain celibate while the heroine does.

I really, really didn't like McKenna. My God, I felt like Leo Hathaway while I was reading this and thinking, Good God, this one’s worse than Harry. But you know? This was like a toss-up at the Asshole Olympics. What's worse? Being a hypocritical bastard, like Harry, and manipulating, publically compromising and then just forcing a woman into marriage (during a time when divorce wasn't a viable option for a wo
mich
I don’t read a lot of historical romance. Ok, that’s an understatement. Two. I’ve read two HR books before. I liked them well enough, but I dunno, whenever I look at my kindle, the HR choices never seem to draw me. I’m gonna start reading more of them, cuz this book has shown me how into it I can be! :)

The chemistry between our two leads was really, really good. And even better was the intensity of their feelings for each other that reached out from each page and grabbed me and held on tight. I
Hayat
4.5 magical stars!

I thought I had outgrown pure historical romance without a supernatural or magical twist of some kind to keep things interesting, but Lisa Kleypas reawakened my love for HR with Again the Magic. And now I'm addicted to this series, I even went ahead and read the next two books of the Wallflowers series!.

***RTC***
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Lady Aline Marsden, sister of Marcus, Lord Westcliff, has been friends withe John McKenna since they were children and as they have gotten older the friendship has grown in to love and pasion, however, it is not to be, McKenna is just a stable boy, a servant where as Aline is a Lady. When her father finds out Aline is forced to make him hate her and send him away. Twelve years later McKenna comes back to Stony Cross much changed with revenge on his mind, unaware of the secrets that Aline holds.

T
Alice Kellen
3.5 (Qué rabia que no se pueda puntuar mejor) La novela es entretenida, como todas las de esta autora, pero la historia secundaria me entorpecía un poco la lectura y admito que algunos trozos los leía en diagonal. En cambio, la relación entre Aline y McKenna es muy bonita y con algunas escenas muy emotivas (está claro que siento una gran debilidad por los protagonistas que se conocen desde niños).
Jasmin
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every romance reader :)
This read makes me feel again the magic which only Lisa Kleypas, herself, can ever deliver.

To prove a point, I utterly feel like a little girl, who had a taste of sweet and irrisistable candy, which takes almost a day to finish. Well of course, being the selfish chit that I am, a taste is not enough. I have to finish the candy dry before I could resume my normal mode of living. And unfortunately, coming out of the trance, realizing that the candy is all gone, I feel disappointment. Disappointmen
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • The Leopard Prince (Princes Trilogy, #2)
  • Lord of Fire (Knight Miscellany, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • The Marriage Bed (Guilty, #3)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Unveiled (Turner, #1)
  • Not Quite a Husband
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Three Nights with a Scoundrel (Stud Club, #3)
  • The Dangerous Lord (Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • Passion (Passion Quartet, #1)
  • A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2)
More about Lisa Kleypas

Wallflowers (4 books)
  • Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Mariana
    $16.99 $2.99
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
“I want morning and noon and nightfall with you. I want your tears, your smiles, your kisses...the smell of your hair, the taste of your skin, the touch of your breath on my face. I want to see you in the final hour of my life...to lie in your arms as I take my last breath.” 1429 likes
“For thousands of nights I dreamed of making love to you. No man on earth has ever hated sunrise as I do.” 409 likes