Start by marking “Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)” as Want to Read:
Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)

Devil in Winter

(Wallflowers #3)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  56,390 ratings  ·  3,577 reviews
Librarian's Note: Alternate cover for this ISBN can be found here.

Four young ladies enter London society and band together to each find a husband. Has the third "Wallflower" now met her match?

A Devil's Bargain

Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her uns
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published February 28th 2006 by Avon

·  56,390 ratings  ·  3,577 reviews

Start your review of Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Oh.

Your.

GOD.

Sebastian St. Vincent?

Yeah.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

That's really all I can say. I keep rereading parts of this book because the man just...he's just...I mean...words are just...not...how can I....express...no...

Navessa

Not here for the fucking trolls anymore. Find the full review on my blog if you want to come at me.
Auntee
May 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes to read!
Recommended to Auntee by: Eastofoz
What a truly beautiful, romantic book, with so many sigh-worthy moments, so many humorous moments, lots of wickedly sexy dialogue...and featuring some very satisfying emotional growth from both the hero and heroine. I've always loved the stammering, shy, yet beautiful red-headed 'Wallflower' character of Evie Jenner, and could hardly wait to read her story. But when the hero of this book, 32-year-old Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent was introduced in It Happened One Autumn, I had my doubts about him. ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Sebastian is one of the sexiest heroes ever written. Gosh the man just makes me melt. Out of all the Wallflowers, Evie is my favorite, hands-down. I thought she was an interesting character and I wanted to know more about her, although she didn't seem to say much. But what she did and didn't say sparked my curiosity about her. I knew I was eager to read her book. I was overjoyed that Ms. Kleypas paired her with Sebastian. I saw a possibility there between them, don't ask me why. Literally, I sai ...more
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Reformed Rake Stars

photo mbhgxsdz_zpssbdgzh06.gif

*Spoilers*

Devil in Winter was AMAZING! I loved it. It's my favorite book of the series! Evie and Sebastian's story was even better than I expected and I expected a lot. From beginning to end it captivated me. The plot was entertaining. The hero and heroine charming and their love epic! Devil in Winter is now tied with Seduce Me at Sunrise for my favorite Lisa Kleypas book.

“I’m offering to marry you,” she said. “I want your protection. My father is too ill and weak to he
Jana
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
''How is Sebastian St. Vincent today?'' was the text message I had received this morning after my boyfriend had left for work.
''He's fine thank you.'' Was my reply with a huge grin on my face. Fucking bastard.
''Are you moaning his name?'' was his next reply.
''No, boyfriend, just yours with his picture in my mind.''
''He's blond, you don't like blonds.'' This was beginning to look like a full attack on my fantasies.
''I'm on models.com trying to find myself a face for him.''
'':) Have a nice d
Kinga
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pub-2006
Colour me baffled. Why does everyone love this book?

At least finally we have a genuine rake here – meaning a total selfish, overbearing asshole. He is a rake alright. He is also a rake in need of money. And then we have a shy, stuttering, abused heroine who has grown up in a family that can be described as dysfunctional. In a way it all makes sense, she would gravitate towards overbearing assholes, while he enjoys being one AND getting praise for being a little better than her fucked-up family.

S
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
5 StarsAUDIO book review
Sometimes the fractures in two separate souls become the very hinges that held them together.

Why? Why have I not read more historical romance? Because if they're anything like this book? *happy sigh*
A ruthless, immoral rake that does whatever he wants no matter the cost. A beautiful wallflower in a desperate situation, willing to make a deal with the devil. This book was absolute perfection.

The narrator was fantastic with doing various accents and intonations
Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful)
TOP 5 TRAITS OF A GREAT ROMANTIC HERO:
Like Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent in Lisa Kleypas' Devil in Winter.

description

#5: A Great Romantic Hero Doesn’t Share His Heroine.

“I can’t think clearly. I’ve got knots in my stomach, and constant pains in my chest, and when I see you talking to any man, I go insane with jealousy… Do as you please. But when you’re with Rohan or any other man, keep in mind that you belong completely to me.”

description

#4: A Great Romantic Hero Views Sex With His Heroine As A Life Changing Event.

“He
Sarah MacLean
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
greatest romance novel hero. possibly of all time.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

Devil in Winter is probably the most hyped historical romance novel I’ve ever come across, and while I really enjoyed it, I didn’t love LOVE it like everyone else did.

This is the story of Evie the wallflower, cursed with a stutter she has spent much of her life on the side. Once her home situation becomes life threateni
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
10 Second-Favorite-Book-of-all-Time STARS!!!!!!!

My love is upon you.

This isn’t your ordinary romance. It’s real. It’s dry. It’s cold….like winter. The perfect book for curling up in a big comfy chair with some English breakfast tea (my favorite) while it’s raining or snowing outside (or you can just read this book all year long, like me).

Between the covers

Lord Sebastian St. Vincent is not a good man. He is a man
Jill
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it

Nature had squandered an unreasonable quantity of male beauty on this undeserving creature.

This was a re-read for me, having first read it when it came out in 2006, it was a little different this time around.

The Devil in Winter is amazingly popular. It has been often voted as readers' most popular romance novel. And its hero, Sebastian, Lord St Vincent readers' favourite romance hero. Ever. Its popularity, I think, is due almost entirely to its hero, Sebastian, and the pairing with
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Devil in Winter is, no surprise here, another winner in Lisa Kleypas' Wallflower series.

In my opinion, this story was a deeper, slightly darker installment as we watch Evie escape the clutches of her horrid aunt and uncle, and take the necessary steps to remain free of them. It was a pleasure watching her overcome her shyness and learn to stand up for herself and fight for what she wants - to be with her father who is dying of consumption and to ease him through his final days. Ms. Kleypas wrote
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Everything has already been said about this top favourite, and there are already tons of great reviews here on Goodreads covering both ends of the scale, so I won't go into storyline details, but as you can see by my rating, I happily fall in the category of readers who have utterly loved Devil in Winter.
The "marriage of convenience", the "opposites attract" and the "reformed rake" tropes are probably as old as the genre itself and have been done innumerable times before, though rarely as engagi
Shawna
Re-read 10/12/19:

Still just as wonderful as I remember from almost 10 years ago!

Original read/review Jan'2010:

5++ stars – Historical Romance

It’s no wonder that Devil in Winter is a Kleypas fan favorite and historical romance reader’s dream. The beautiful, touching, and evocative love story of awkwardly shy wallflower with profound, quiet inner strength, Evangeline Jenner, and dashing libertine and unscrupulous, villainous rake Sebastian, Viscount St. Vincent, is absolute magic. Verrry big 5 st
Sam (AMNReader)
I did it. And I'm not sorry. I think I needed a little something to prove there's a reason to read this author after the disappointing Ravenel series thus far. Not sure this is gonna help when it comes to Phoebe and West though.

********Original Review***********10/23/17
Where to begin?

I'm not sure...I was intrigued during his scenes when we met St. Vincent in It Happened One Autumn. He was menacing and seductive...and it continued through the epilogue. I tried to wait to read this, and then as I
Jilly
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sooooo good! I loved St. Vincent in the last book and in this one he actually gets more swoon-worthy.

St. Vincent, who was more than a little intimidating, with his golden beauty and wintery ice-blue eyes , and a mouth made for kisses and lies. He looked like a fallen angel, replete with all the dangerous male beauty that Lucifer could devise.

alexander skarsgard photo: Alexander Skarsgard 1247108729_resized.png

Along with his gorgeous looks is a wicked sense of humor about his own depravity. When he tells Evie that he doesn't want her living in the apartme
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.5 Reformed Rake Stars

I was really ready not to like this book. I was totally loving St. Vincent in the last one until….well you know what he did.
“He didn’t seem to take it well, my borrowing of his betrothed.”
“You k-kidnapped her,” Evangeline countered calmly. “‘Borrowing’ implies that you intended to give her back.”

But it seems that our little stammering Evie is just as desperate if not even more so than St. Vincent and needs a husband quick. Evie has way more strength and gumption than I
Sammy Loves Books
4.5 Panty Melting, Silver tongued Devil" stars

Oh who'd have thought that Evie and St. Vincent could be this freakin hawt!

description
"I want to fill every part of you...breathe the air from your lungs...leave my handprint on your soul. I want to give you more pleasure than you can bear. I want to make love to you, Evie, as I have never done with anyone before."

St. Vincent

description

St. Vincent is a rake and the worst kind of scoundrel. He's beautiful and sexy as sin and doesn't give two shits about anyone but himse
Amy | Foxy Blogs

FOUR POINT FIVE STARS

THE HUSBAND HUNTERS ARE BACK!
In London (1843) a pact is made between 4 wallflowers. They will help each other find husbands starting with the oldest and working down to the youngest.

(1) Annabelle is the oldest of the pact. Married - first book.
(2) Lillian is a rich American who has not acclimated to England.
(3) Evie is painfully shy and stutters.
(4) Daisy is the younger sister to Lillian.

Evie is in a predicament where her relatives are going to marry her off to her cousin
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.)
Gabriel Aubry as Lord St. Vincent; Amy Adams as Evangeline Jenner.
[image error][image error]
[image error][image error]

Top Ten Reasons to Listen to Rosalyn Landor read you Lisa Kleypas' Devil in Winter on Audio:

1. A favorite book, as narrated by Ms. Landor, is ALWAYS kicked up a notch; it is so worth a re-visit via your ears.

2. She does the American accents, for both Daisy and Lillian Bowman, with authenticity and still manages to distinguish them by infu
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
If anyone had told me I'd one day pull for the scum ball Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent (actually some did!), after I finished reading It Happened One Autumn, I would have said "you're crazy"! However, I stand here today eating my words after reading Devil In Winter. Kleypas wove an amazing magic spell and transformed two misfits into an endearing couple, revealing a softer, more vulnerable side of both. Evie's on the run from her maternal relatives because they've threatened her with a forced marr ...more
Irene Sim
Reread 26/2/2019

"My love is upon you...

Another amazing book by Lisa Kleypas. Evangeline surprised me with her dynamic in this. She sure didn't seem to be this strong all will-powered in the previous stories. As for Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent, he became one of my favorite book-boyfriends because after all his misconducts and wrongdoings he managed to redeem himself and find love in sweet Evie.
What a perfect story to end my 2016 book count.
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I've heard about the "polarizing" event in the previous book that caused so many people to hate Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent. I also agree with what others are saying; that despite all the other characters in the book telling the readers, repeatedly, what a villain he is, he sure doesn't walk the walk (apart from that one incident). If I'm going to suck it up and read a book about a rake and a virgin, then by God, I want a man who is in d
Karen
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS

Evie picked up the smallest of the rings and tried it on the fourth finger of her left hand. It fit perfectly. Raising it closer to her face, she examined the design. It was the simplest of all the rings, a polished gold band engraved with the words Tha Gad Agam Ort. “What does this mean?” she asked MacPhee. “It says, ‘My love is upon ye.’”

And yet another fantastic example of Lisa Kleypas' ability to spin a story. I loved these characters. Sebastian was just delicious, wicked
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

I get it now. I soooooo get the hype about this book, about this author, and about historical romance!!!

Image result for in love gif

Admittedly, I'm not a historical romance reader. For some reason my brain just doesn't naturally gravitate to books outside of contemporary. But after all my favorite romance gals were going on and on about historical and this book, some serious FOMO set in and I just had to give this a shot.

And I'm so glad I did!!

An amazing and lovable heroine, a charming and vulnerable hero
Melanie A.
Audio: 4 STARS!
Story: 5 STARS!!
Sebastian fought with the desperate joy he felt at her nearness.
FINALLY, I know what all the fuss is about!

So wonderful . . . Sebastian and his stubbornness. Evie and her thwarting of him at every turn by just being herself. And it was all tied up in a bow of LK's signature humor and incredible sense of romance. I didn't want this one to end!
Anne
This one one of those books that I knew I was going to love as soon as I finished the first page. It was perfect! I was rooting for the hero and heroine the entire time. Maybe not the entire time. A tiny part of me wanted to throw Evie off a bridge and steal Sebastian for myself, but...
whatever.
What can I say about the love scenes? *Slurp* Let me wipe the drool off my face, first. Yeah. They are definitely going to the 'recall later when needed' section of my brain. *sigh*
Historical Romanc...: BOTM - April, 2018 - Devil in Winter 35 74 May 13, 2018 09:55AM
General discussion for our good HR readers. 1 42 Oct 07, 2017 05:44PM
as hot as Annabel Joseph - but different!! 1 32 Sep 27, 2017 04:47PM
A Million More Pages: 3 - Devil In Winter (Wallflowers): Feb 1 3 27 Jan 28, 2015 09:46AM

• Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)

Wallflowers (4 books)
  • Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)

Articles featuring this book

“A man's vanity is more fragile that you might think. It's easy for us to mistake shyness for coldness, and silence for indifference.” 420 likes
“Mysteries of attraction could not always be explained through logic. Sometimes the fractures in two separate souls became the very hinges that held them together.” 327 likes