The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - May 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6928 comments Mod
I'm tired from staying out late to see Avengers last night..but I think it's a new month..so here's a new thread..

Whatcha got?

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1678 comments Finished with Peter Grant #5, Foxglove Summer and I'll never see unicorns the same way again.

Starting The Dispossessed. I hope I could finish this one since I am really curious about the anarchist society in it.

Current S&L challenge tally:
Sword: 17
Laser: 9

message 3: by Robert (last edited May 01, 2018 06:17AM) (new)

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 270 comments Just finished The Fifth Season and am no starting The Obelisk Gate just so I can get to The Stone Sky. The plan is to read all the Hugo nominated novels for this year before I vote. Unfortunately even though I have them in my library, I've not read any of them.

message 4: by Ivi_kiwi (new)

Ivi_kiwi | 87 comments I am currently reading "something wicked this way comes " by ray bradbury.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2333 comments I expect I'm going to be reading To Ride Hell’s Chasm for a not-insignificant part of the month (it's a long book), and after that I'm looking forward to Night's Master and the rest of the Flat Earth books.

message 6: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4279 comments Finished up two Vampire-Staking, World-Saving, hilarious romps by Kate Danley: Eine Kleine Nacht Maggie and Of Mice and MacKays. Comes with sardonic take on Southern California life.

Now on to this month's book. (Recent reading curtailed by full-series binge of The Expanse.)

message 7: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4222 comments I finished Oathbringer and We Are Legion (We Are Bob) last month, and plan to read Night's Master this month. And I should finish Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life soonish.

But aside from that, I'm not really sure what I want to read next, particularly for audible. I've got a few options, but I'm really not sure what I'm in the mood for. At the moment, I have New Spring (re-listen), Calamity, Murder on the Orient Express, Perfect State, Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, and Warbreaker all downloaded. I may just RNG it and see what comes up.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 469 comments Right now I'm reading:

Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi
Old Man's War by John Scalzi - my favorite Scalzi book so far (of course that's not saying much...)

Cugel's Saga by Jack Vance
Cugel's Saga by Jack Vance - #3 in the Dying Earth series

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2) by Connie Willis
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis - very lighthearted SF time travel homage to the Victorian Age classic Three Men in a Boat

non-genre books:

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
March Violets by the recently deceased Philip Kerr
The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

message 9: by Rick (last edited May 01, 2018 05:08PM) (new)

Rick | 2930 comments Sigh... well I've broken out of the reading slump. Lessee...

Last month was We Are Bob and Head On and The Wrong Stars. This month I've got the following going:

Night's Master
Norse Mythology
Amberlough

I don't read graphic novels but I was sick last week and browsing the library app and what popped up? Volume 1 of The Sandman, Preludes & Nocturnes. I'm now 4 volumes into that... having just finished Season of Mists and I've started Carey's Lucifer series.

It struck me that much of this has a mythic feel to it so I think my next book is one I've been meaning to get to but which I needed to be on a certain mood to read, Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr

That should take me through the 15th or so (yes, definitely out of the slump) and I'll pick up Space Opera I think because I'll probably want something light and silly and what's sillier than Galactic Eurovision?

message 10: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4279 comments Wow, you are reading Sandman for the first time? What a treat.

message 11: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments I finished Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Vol. 6: Flight and The Three-Body Problem.

Vol 6 of Galactic Heroes wasn't as good as the previous 5 - it suffered from a transitional period in the plot with lots of exposition and philosophy but not a lot of action. But by the last half it picked up pace and was very enjoyable. Vol 7 drops in English in August.

Three Body Problem was great. I am going to take a small break and listen to the three hour All Systems Red before continuing 3-body with The Dark Forest

message 12: by Maclurker (new)

Maclurker | 128 comments I'm saving Night's Master for later when I'm traveling.

But a visit to the local library yielded entertainment for the meantime. I must be in an historical mood, since I brought home The Hippopotamus Pool, The Secret of Abdu El-Yezdi (although that probably counts as a sword), and the latest from one of my favorite authors, Bernard Cornwell, Fools and Mortals

message 13: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2930 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Wow, you are reading Sandman for the first time? What a treat."

Yeah, it's quite excellent. I just never read comics after my teen years and didn't pick up the whole 'graphic novel' thing. My library has Hoopla now which has online access to these and they read well on a retina iPad.

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 104 comments I'm halfway through Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. Know I'm behind the game for this series, but I'm enjoying it very much. After I finish, I will likely read Night's Master and then either Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel or Autonomous.

message 15: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments I stopped at the library on the way home from work tonight and picked up The Bastard Legion (aka The Hangman's Daughter, apparently - UK vs US, I guess?) which looks like rowdy MilSF.

The first page has the main character bored in a combat suit cranking music and using her rifle as an air guitar (or space guitar, I suppose) a la Pete Townsend. Sold!

message 16: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Currently listening to Forging Hephaestus by Drew Hayes. Its a book about superheroes and supervillains only told from the perspective of a new recruit on the supervillain side which makes it very interesting.

message 17: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 524 comments I recently finished Taste of Wrath - the 7th and final novella in Matt Wallace's Sin Du Jour series. I thought it wrapped things up very nicely. It's been a solid, 4 star sort of series.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I'm reading Circe by Madeleine Miller which is always pegged as literary fiction but it's a reimagining of mythological characters so kinda almost fantasy?

I also scored an audiobook review copy of Only Human by Sylvain Neuvel so I listened to an hour of that this morning.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1186 comments Finished Night's Master. It wasn't really my cup of tea overall. There was some nice poetic writing but it got to be a little too much. I also found the whole thing pretty depressing.
Starting Gamer Fantastic.

message 20: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 326 comments About 40% into The Core, last book in the Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett. This is the first book of the lot I'm fed up with.

Been reading The Midnight Front by David Mack as well. Got this one through PageHabit. I've been enjoying this "secret history" of WWII with secret demon magic.

message 21: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 129 comments Robert wrote: "Just finished The Fifth Season and am no starting The Obelisk Gate just so I can get to The Stone Sky. The plan is to read all the Hugo nominated nov..."

I like to read all of the Hugo nominated novels too. I took the last couple of years off after all of the Hugo controversy, but I think I'm back this year. I still need to read Earth 2140, Six Wakes, and Raven Stratagem.

message 22: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I finished my re-read of Abaddon's Gate. I liked it a lot more this time around. My review.

Now I'm reading Exo by Fonda Lee.

message 23: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments I just finished Jade City, which was awesome. 5 stars from me. It’s like The Godfather meets Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. So good.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 24: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments Dara wrote: "

Now I'm reading Exo by Fonda Lee."

If it’s as good as Jade City, I’m all for that.

message 25: by Jason (jkb) (new)

Jason (jkb) (jkbe) | 79 comments Finishing up Timothy Zahn's Blackcollars. A buddy made me read Zahn's Star Wars Thrawn trilogy so I figured I give his non-Star Wars books a try as well.

message 26: by Jason (jkb) (new)

Jason (jkb) (jkbe) | 79 comments Trike wrote: "I just finished Jade City, which was awesome. 5 stars from me. It’s like The Godfather meets Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. So good.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/sh..."

Just read on Tor the top 5 Asian SFF books and Jade City is there. I have to give that i try now since Tor and group members seems to have good things to say about it.

Unless, this could somehow be a book pick this year?!?

message 27: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments I read Jade City recently and I guess I don't get all the hype. It's a solid story, but I didn't find it anything mind-blowing.

message 28: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Trike wrote: "Dara wrote: "

Now I'm reading Exo by Fonda Lee."

If it’s as good as Jade City, I’m all for that."

I'll let you know! :-) Jade City is so goood.

message 29: by Shad (new)

message 30: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I'm up to Nemesis Games in my Expanse re-reading. This one is tough - I feel like I'm just slogging through the set-up because I know what's coming, and I'm super-excited about getting to all the crazy stuff that happens in the rest of the book.

message 31: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2930 comments Brendan wrote: "I read Jade City recently and I guess I don't get all the hype. It's a solid story, but I didn't find it anything mind-blowing."

Seconded. 3.5 for me. I liked the writing, thought that (view spoiler) but the world is intriguing.

message 32: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1391 comments I started Age of Myth in audio, the BOM Night's Master in Kindle and The City & the City in Dead Tree. My next Graphic Novels are Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood and Black Squadron. I wish I could count playoff hockey, Jets in Laser and the Golden Knights in sword.

message 33: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1651 comments I don’t care what the logo looks like it is the Nashville “Preditors”, I’d call that laser. Capitol ships sound like laser to me. Since I have no clue what a Bruin is, I’m going go with a fantastical beast with a sword. And since we all know gods are the ones hurling lightning, they have to be swords. To make the numbers even, let’s have Dr. Evil’s sharks with lay-zer beams, and the mythical flying penguins are sword? I have to be honest I like the idea of space penguins better, but that would lopsided the remaining teams.

message 34: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments Bruin = bear.

So, you know, either way.

message 35: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2554 comments Working through Night's Master on Kindle and a re-read (listen this time) of WoT The Eye of the World.

Just finished Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynold, which was good except for some pretty unpleasant characters :(

message 36: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1651 comments DOOH! Yea, should have remembered that. I just rarely see them use that fact, mostly the “hubbed B” logo. But as you said, that can still work.

message 37: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Michele wrote: "I'm up to Nemesis Games in my Expanse re-reading. This one is tough - I feel like I'm just slogging through the set-up because I know what's coming, and I'm super-excited about getting to all the c..."

It seems like a filler book in concept but yeah stuff happens midway which makes it anything but a filler. Its actually one of my favorite of the series. The 6th book to me was disappointing because it seemed like it was a whole book of people just talking about what happened and little happening until an anti climactic ending.

message 38: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Personally Nemesis Games is my favorite book of the Expanse series so far. To each their own though.

message 39: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1530 comments Finished an audiobook this morning, Death of a River Guide ★★★★★ which is a sad beautiful read by Richard Flanagan at the top of his game. Not sure how he made such bleak material hopeful, but he did (non genre).

Finished Lovecraft Country ★★★★☆ last night and it was great too. This was a book full of strong, interesting characters surviving darkness in pre civil rights America. Probably the best genre book I have read this year. Demonstrates that hell is other people.

message 40: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Also, I LOVE the idea of binning up Hockey teams/mascots into SFF.

My team is the Sabres..so that's a little obvious. We're really bad swords..

message 41: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4279 comments Well, people already have cosplay for sports, wearing the jerseys. Fantasy leagues is D&D for sports fans. Bin 'em up!

message 42: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Go (space) Pens! OR they can be birds with swords for arms...

message 43: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1678 comments I liked Nemesis Games alot too.

Finished with The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin. I really enjoyed it, very strong and fascinating societies, truly an ambiguous utopia.

Now starting my Hugo reading with Provenance by Ann Leckie.

Current S&L challenge tally:
Sword: 17
Laser: 10 (double digit finally)

message 44: by Julie (new)

Julie (3x5books) | 110 comments That reminded me immediately of this artist's heraldic banners for the NHL:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/18886581...

As for what else I'm reading, I'm working on Circe, rereading The Silmarillion, and looking forward to getting Aru Shah and the End of Time.

message 45: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments NG is also my favorite of the series - I'm just impatient to get to the really good parts.

message 46: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8962 comments I’ve actually been collecting sports team logos based on various SFF franchises.

For instance, Star Wars: https://theawesomer.com/star-wars-spo...

Lord of the Rings hockey: http://stevethomasart.blogspot.com/20...

Harry Potter: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/8GzZrek

Star Trek (my favorite is the Red Shirt Expendables): https://www.popsugar.com/tech/Star-Tr...

Marvel: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/1...

Game of Thrones

The Simpsons

My Little Pony

message 47: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4279 comments Haaa, these are *awesome!*

message 48: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (ladymeag) | 22 comments Finished The Philosopher's Flight, I was really into it until it just kind of... drifted off.

Followed up with Artemis which I really enjoyed and hopefully talked a friend into reading after she had decided to not.

Finally reading An Unkindness of Ghosts - about halfway through and still unsure if I'm enjoying it or not. This typically either means I'm going to hate it or love it, with no middle ground for just uncertainty.

Trying to decide if I start Chuck Wendig's Heartland books, read Abandon, or Old Man's War next.

message 49: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited May 04, 2018 02:12PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3677 comments Mod
Rob wrote: "Also, I LOVE the idea of binning up Hockey teams/mascots into SFF."

What does "binning up" mean?
Google translate doesn't work on American to Aussie ;-)
and Google is failing me.

Trike are you into Scott Sigler's "Galactic Football League" series.

Fans have made logos for most of those futuristic alien/human American Football teams

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottsi...

message 50: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Binning up is another way of saying sorting

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.