Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 3: Food + a little something else

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Hey everyone! I woke up early today to make sure I was ready to go. Which of course meant running to the store and buying my snacks for the day XD

What kind of snacks/drinks do you have planned for the day? Is there a menu you're working off of or is it going to be a random draw of whatever is in your pantry?

ALSO, I love reading sprints. It's my fave thing for readathons. So, I thought I might try to host some reading sprints during this hour as well. I'll do short, quick ones to get you started for the day. My twitter handle is @missymaynook. Feel free to join in and let me know how your reading progress is going!

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane | 36 comments I just finished a bowl of freshly baked crispy kale! I'm trying to not just eat sugar today... I'm going to check out your Twitter now. :)

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments I have always heard that kale chips are pretty good. I did the complete opposite and have everything sugar XD Do you put any kind of seasonings on your kale?

And thanks! My wifi is being slow at the moment but I'll keep the sprints going :)

message 4: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (totallyshelfaware) | 10 comments I've got a bunch of different flavoured chips, some candy for energy, and a bunch of fruit (to negate all the candy 😅). For drinks, we have tea, cranberry juice, and maybe some wine for later. :)

Yay, sprints! Heading over to join you! (I'm @elemenopew)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 157 comments I'm just going to grab another coffee, and a crumpet with peanut butter and honey!

message 6: by Lupe (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 43 comments I just had breakfast finally. But apparently my niece and her mom bought all kinds of snacks in preparation for today. So I’m not sure what is all here! But I definitely have coffee so that’s a plus!

message 7: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks I've been reading for 2 hours now and it's definitely time for food and coffee! I'm trying a new dark chocolate and sea salt coffee and I think I may make some waffles with fruit.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth | 156 comments I've just had some sunflower seeds & dark chocolate (with tea)

For lunch I'll probably heat up an Aloo Mattar wrap in the freezer, and make a sandwich.

message 9: by Samantha (last edited Apr 28, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Tanya wrote: "I've got a bunch of different flavoured chips, some candy for energy, and a bunch of fruit (to negate all the candy 😅). For drinks, we have tea, cranberry juice, and maybe some wine for later. :)

..."

Mmmmm those all sound delish! Wish I had done that as well. Although I do have Greek yogurt, does that count as a healthy alternative? and I'll follow you back! :)

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm just going to grab another coffee, and a crumpet with peanut butter and honey!"

Omg, the sound of peanut butter and honey sounds amazing right now *drool*

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Lupe wrote: "I just had breakfast finally. But apparently my niece and her mom bought all kinds of snacks in preparation for today. So I’m not sure what is all here! But I definitely have coffee so that’s a plus!"

Coffee is always a plus :) That's so nice of them to buy snacks in preparation of today!

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Gabby (GabsAboutBooks) wrote: "I've been reading for 2 hours now and it's definitely time for food and coffee! I'm trying a new dark chocolate and sea salt coffee and I think I may make some waffles with fruit."

That all sounds amazing <3 I hope that you like the dark chocolate. It's always a hit or miss for me. The Waffles and fruit though..mmmmmmmmmm :)

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Beth wrote: "I've just had some sunflower seeds & dark chocolate (with tea)

For lunch I'll probably heat up an Aloo Mattar wrap in the freezer, and make a sandwich."

Sounds like a great way to start the day :) I'm curious, I've never heard of Aloo Mattar. What is that?

message 14: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 1296 comments The readathon started at 2 pm for me so I already had lunch. Had some almonds and tea. In a bit a smoothie. For dinner it’s going to be oven baked French fries (not healthy but the readathon is my excuse lol). For later this evening I have chocolate and wine.

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Susy wrote: "The readathon started at 2 pm for me so I already had lunch. Had some almonds and tea. In a bit a smoothie. For dinner it’s going to be oven baked French fries (not healthy but the readathon is my ..."

The readathon started at 5am for me, which was a little early lol. Readathon is always a good excuse :) chocolate and wine sounds like such a great pairing! I'm going to have to do that for the next readathon.

message 16: by Jane (new)

Jane | 36 comments Samantha wrote: "I have always heard that kale chips are pretty good. I did the complete opposite and have everything sugar XD Do you put any kind of seasonings on your kale?

And thanks! My wifi is being slow at ..."

I didn't this time, but I've had cheese on them before and it's the best combination! If I feel like having another serving later I'm going to do that. :)

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Jane wrote: "Samantha wrote: "I have always heard that kale chips are pretty good. I did the complete opposite and have everything sugar XD Do you put any kind of seasonings on your kale?

And thanks! My wifi ..."

Nice! Cheese should be its own food group lol

message 18: by Karsyn (new)

Karsyn  (imzadi) Foods for the day: Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast, Burger for lunch, Pizza for dinner

Snacks for the day: Snickerdoodles, Smores Goldfish, Animal Crackers and Sour Patch Kids.

Drink of the day: Mountain Dew!

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Karsyn wrote: "Foods for the day: Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast, Burger for lunch, Pizza for dinner

Snacks for the day: Snickerdoodles, Smores Goldfish, Animal Crackers and Sour Patch Kids.

Drink of the day: Mou..."

So, totally on board with a lot of this lol. I love cinnamon rolls (I wish I had made some for today) and I was actually thinking of getting Smores Goldfish, but when with the xtreme cheddar ones instead XD. And I am also drinking Mountain Dew this fine day because otherwise I won't be able to stay up most of the day lol

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments Morning:
Everything Bagel with Cream Cheese

Snacks Whenever:
Milano Shortbread Chocolate Mint Cookies
Cheese Cubes with Little Barbecued Smokies
Red Pepper Hummus with Vegetable Platter

Going out:
Starbucks later for Coffee
Ruby Tuesday's Salad bar for Lunch!

Dinner:
Either going to take a break from Read-a-thon to eat with parents (dad invited me yesterday and they're across the street so it won't take long, plus he's going to Texas soon and is only home weekends!)
If hungry later have Crab Cakes also for quick dinners

Also want to do a lot of Lattes (bought extra whipped cream), drinks (water, soda, new teas to try)

message 21: by Elise (new)

Elise Ravenclaw (eliseravenclaw) | 5 comments I had waffles and tea for breakfast, and an apple.
For lunch I'll have a ham, cheese and avocado sandwich with a side of refried beans with corn chips
I have some pasta bolognese that I made ahead for dinner.
I have apples, mini peanut butter ritz crackers for snacks, and a dulce de leche cookie for desert.
I'll be drinking soda with lime and tea throughout the day.
I might be over prepared but I won't starve for sure! Lol

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Morning:
Everything Bagel with Cream Cheese

Snacks Whenever:
Milano Shortbread Chocolate Mint Cookies
Cheese Cubes with Little Barbecued Smokies
Red Pepper Hummus with Vegetable Platter

Going out..."

Omg, that all sounds so good! I need to make a menu more like this for myself in October. You should definitely spend some time with your dad. I'm 2000 miles away from my parents and only get to see them twice a year. <3

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Lisa wrote: "I had waffles and tea for breakfast, and an apple.
For lunch I'll have a ham, cheese and avocado sandwich with a side of refried beans with corn chips
I have some pasta bolognese that I made ahead ..."

There's no such thing as over preparing :) It's better to have more than less for sure! Enjoy your delicious food goodies :) <3

message 24: by Sunsettowers (new)

Sunsettowers | 18 comments For the Readathon, I always buy some of my favorite less-than-healthy choices that I don't normally keep in my freezer lol, so I've got Bagel Bites, mozzarella sticks, an eight cheese pizza with Alfredo sauce, and a pint of Halo green tea mochi ice cream :)

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (racheliswriting) | 7 comments Now this is the thread for me!

I've had coffee, a banana, and rice and eggs for breakfast. Have a ton of veggies and hummus, fruit, cheese, and nuts for snacks. Gonna do something with salmon for dinner. I enjoy cooking with my audiobook on so I didn't prep meals ahead of time. I'll definitely be drinking more coffee, and probably some chai lattes and various teas later on.

message 26: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Sunsettowers wrote: "For the Readathon, I always buy some of my favorite less-than-healthy choices that I don't normally keep in my freezer lol, so I've got Bagel Bites, mozzarella sticks, an eight cheese pizza with Al..."

Omg Bagel Bites are the bomb! Readathon day is a day where you can go a little unhealthy if you want ;) I've heard of Halo ice-cream before and heard that it's pretty good. Definitely jealous of your eight cheese pizza with Alfredo sauce. Those are like my two favorite things (with pasta definitely being number one) lol

message 27: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Rachel wrote: "Now this is the thread for me!

I've had coffee, a banana, and rice and eggs for breakfast. Have a ton of veggies and hummus, fruit, cheese, and nuts for snacks. Gonna do something with salmon for..."

It all sounds super yummy :) I'm back and forth about audiobooks myself, but it's nice that you set that time for yourself to prep while you listen :)

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth | 156 comments Samantha wrote: I'm curious, I've never heard of Aloo Mattar. What is that?

It's Indian food - potatoes & vegetables with tomato sauce, in a wrap.

message 29: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Beth wrote: "Samantha wrote: I'm curious, I've never heard of Aloo Mattar. What is that?

It's Indian food - potatoes & vegetables with tomato sauce, in a wrap."

Mmmmm that sounds good! I'll have to try it sometime :)

message 30: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments This year I am focusing on more healthy snacks. I have noticed in past readathons the junk food drains my energy levels. The only problem is, that I rarely go out in advance to get food for readathons and this was the first year that I did.

I have easy to grab snacks like drinkable yogurt and fruit, drinks. I have noticed the advantage is that these snacks are not as messy to read and eat, which is always a bonus. I am looking forward to trying this out and seeing how long until break down and eat my jalapeno poppers. Those are the best! :)

message 31: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments I had ice cream and cookies. That is pretty much it. I need something to wake me up because I am getting a little tired.

message 32: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Devon wrote: "This year I am focusing on more healthy snacks. I have noticed in past readathons the junk food drains my energy levels. The only problem is, that I rarely go out in advance to get food for readath..."

Good for you for planning ahead and getting healthy food! Jalapeño poppers are amazing though :) lol

message 33: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Shannan wrote: "I had ice cream and cookies. That is pretty much it. I need something to wake me up because I am getting a little tired."

Go out and get some of that caffeine rush :) Sounds like you're going to need it :)

message 34: by Margaret (last edited Apr 28, 2018 12:07PM) (new)

Margaret (igem36) I bought my favorite packaged and frozen foods, plus a few fresh healthy things. Some of them include baked Cheetos, pita chips and guacamole, apples, spinach, nuts, enchiladas (Amy's), lasagna (Stouffer's) , bagels, cheese and crackers, vanilla wafers ... and there's one piece of homemade coconut layer cake left for a midnight snack.

Edit: forgot to mention drinks: in addition to water, 3 kinds of coffee and 16 kinds of tea, I bought Sol beer for later tonight.

I'm loving this thread! Great ideas for next time.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments Samantha wrote: Omg, that all sounds so good! I need to make a menu more like this for myself in October. You should definitely spend some time with your dad. I'm 2000 miles away from my parents and only get to see them twice a year. <3 ."

Well he was set to retire this summer - he is 65 and has worked with the same company since he was 16! He has been coming home weekends over the last year so I was looking forward to it, but now he agreed to extend work because of a Texas trip and the money with it, so he's going to be moving for awhile with that job, so no more weekends soon :( He loves to cook dinner and invite me over so it sounds like a good time to rest my eyes later to me.

Sorry you and your parents don't live closer!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments Samantha wrote: "It all sounds super yummy :) I'm back and forth about audiobooks myself, but it's nice that you set that time for yourself to prep while you listen :) "

I am not a big audiobook fan at all but I use them quite a bit during the Read-a-thon - perfect timing :)

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 533 comments Mod
I have a bottle of mango&apple sparkling cider for hour 24, to celebrate finishing the readathon, and lots of snacks- craisins, cashews, 2 different trail mixes, crackers, soda, tea, coffee, and bread & cheese for sandwiches. Food today is all going to be grazing options, rather than time-consuming heavy meals.

message 38: by Gabrielle S (new)

Gabrielle S | 17 comments I had fried eggs and toast for breakfast and I'm slowly drinking my coffee. I'll make some guacamole later. I also have a few of my favorite chocolate bars (the Milka and Oreo bars).

I also happen to live in an apartment building with a store downstairs (this is both a blessing and a curse) so if I have a real craving for something I will just go down and get it.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments Jamie wrote: "I have a bottle of mango&apple sparkling cider for hour 24, to celebrate finishing the readathon, and lots of snacks- craisins, cashews, 2 different trail mixes, crackers, soda, tea, coffee, and br..."

Oh man that's a good idea, wish I had thought of it! I may try some of the cheap blackberry wine when I do my planned afternoon bubble bath before a planned nap in a few hours.

message 40: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Margaret wrote: "I bought my favorite packaged and frozen foods, plus a few fresh healthy things. Some of them include baked Cheetos, pita chips and guacamole, apples, spinach, nuts, enchiladas (Amy's), lasagna (St..."

Mmmm they all sound delicious! It's always nice having your fave foods near you for a readathon!

message 41: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Samantha wrote: Omg, that all sounds so good! I need to make a menu more like this for myself in October. You should definitely spend some time with your dad. I'm 2000 miles away from my parents an..."

That's amazing that he's been with the same company for basically his entire working life! I definitely can't say the same, but I'm okay with that :) It's really awesome that you guys had the weekends to see each other. Family time is so therapeutic for me.

I'm bummed about not seeing my parents more often, but I do talk to them at least once a week. I've been giving my mom violin lessons over Google Hangouts and my dad always pops in during the lesson ;) I'm so thankful for technology nowadays, as annoying as it can be sometimes.

When it comes to audiobooks, I'm finding that the book needs to be an epistolary novel. For example, I started Sleeping Giants on audiobook and absolutely loved it! I didn't get to finish it, but I definitely want to finish it on audiobook. I've also found that I need to have diverse voice actors as well. I tried listening to Strange the Dreamer and while the narrator was good, he was also doing the woman's voices, which all sounded really similar and obviously not a woman. It just distracted me from the actual story. So, for that one I'm gonna switch over to the physical copy to finish.

message 42: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Jamie wrote: "I have a bottle of mango&apple sparkling cider for hour 24, to celebrate finishing the readathon, and lots of snacks- craisins, cashews, 2 different trail mixes, crackers, soda, tea, coffee, and br..."

That's smart thinking to have grazing food :) I also really like the idea of having something specifically for hour 24 so you have something to look forward to when you get to the end!

message 43: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Gabrielle wrote: "I had fried eggs and toast for breakfast and I'm slowly drinking my coffee. I'll make some guacamole later. I also have a few of my favorite chocolate bars (the Milka and Oreo bars).

I also happe..."

I can totally understand how having a store underneath would be a blessing and a curse. In this situation, it's nice to have that option if you get a craving :)

message 44: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments I bought so many snacks yesterday. TOO MANY! Fruit, cheese, meat, and crackers, chips, popcorn, CHOCOLATE, celery and PB, Bubly seltzer, caffeinated tea, etc! I look forward to consuming these throughout the next week!

message 45: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Elyse wrote: "I bought so many snacks yesterday. TOO MANY! Fruit, cheese, meat, and crackers, chips, popcorn, CHOCOLATE, celery and PB, Bubly seltzer, caffeinated tea, etc! I look forward to consuming these thro..."

MMMM they sound soo good (minus the celery, but to each his own). Enjoy!

message 46: by Newly (last edited Apr 28, 2018 03:50PM) (new)

Newly Wardell | 145 comments right now I'm having a double espresso and chocolate covered almonds! Yum

message 47: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Samantha wrote: "MMMM they sound soo good (minus the celery, but to each his own). Enjoy!..."

haha I only like celery if it's smothered with PB!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.