Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Cora's & Max's Read-a-thon Corner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 2: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 576 comments That's so great you're participating with your son! The love of reading is a wonderful gift to give our children. By-the-way, the March graphic novels are fantastic.

message 3: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Here is our opening answers:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?

We are in Maryland, USA.

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?

Max is looking forward to Arf (Bowser and Birdie #2) by Spencer Quinn

Cora is looking forward to Home (Binti, #2) by Nnedi Okorafor

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?

Watermelon

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!

Max is a 4th grader that likes to read, play video games like Minecraft and Terria, and watch youtube videos about video games.

Cora is a stay at home mom who likes to read and do photography.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

This is our first readathon and we are looking forward to doing this together.

message 4: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Finished my first book today:

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1 No Normal by G. Willow Wilson

message 5: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Max finished his first book:

Arf (Bowser and Birdie #2) by Spencer Quinn

He is going to start:

Bow Wow (Bowser and Birdie #3) by Spencer Quinn

message 6: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Mid-Event Survey

1. What are you reading right now?

Cora: The Refrigerator Monologues by Catherynne M. Valente
Max: Bow Wow (Bowser and Birdie #3) by Spencer Quinn

2. How many books have you read so far?

Cora: 2

Max: 1

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?

Still have to get to Home (Binti, #2) by Nnedi Okorafor

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?

I have spent most of the day so far in the car driving kids around. I dealt with it by listening to an audio book (I was in the car enough to finish a 6 hour audio book).

Max was invited to a playdate that he couldn't refuse. So he took a couple hour break, but is back to listening to books.

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How fast it is going.

message 7: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Finished my first audio book:

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

message 8: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 466 comments My kids, 7 and 11, are big Minecraft and Terraria players too. And readers. That Bowser and Birdie series looks like something they might like.

message 9: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Max and I took a break from our long books to take turn reading haiku to each other.

If Not for the Cat by Jack Prelutsky

message 10: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Finished a library book:

The Refrigerator Monologues by Catherynne M. Valente

message 11: by Cora (last edited Apr 29, 2018 05:21AM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Before going to bed last night, Max finished listening to Bow Wow (Bowser and Birdie #3) by Spencer Quinn .

I read 34% of Binti: Home Home (Binti, #2) by Nnedi Okorafor and 170 pages of The Sculptor The Sculptor by Scott McCloud .

message 12: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments 1. Which hour was most daunting for you?

Probably hour 17, right before Max & I decided to call it a night.

2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read!

Max: Arf (Bowser and Birdie #2) by Spencer Quinn , Bow Wow (Bowser and Birdie #3) by Spencer Quinn & If Not for the Cat by Jack Prelutsky

Cora: Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman , Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1 No Normal by G. Willow Wilson , The Refrigerator Monologues by Catherynne M. Valente & If Not for the Cat by Jack Prelutsky . Started, but did not finish The Sculptor by Scott McCloud & Home (Binti, #2) by Nnedi Okorafor .

3. Which books would you recommend to other Read-a-thoners?

Norse Mythology was great, especially on audio. Max really likes the Birdie and Bowser Mysteries. They keep him laughing.

4. What’s a really rad thing we could do during the next Read-a-thon that would make you smile?

We really liked the scavenger hunt. I would like to do that again.

5. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? Would you be interested in volunteering to help organize and prep?

Would love to participate again. I probably would like to get one more under my belt before thinking of volunteering.

message 13: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Max and I are planning on participating again for October.

message 14: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 73 comments That is such a nice thing to do with your son!

message 15: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 466 comments Glad to see you again. My kids are ready. :D

message 16: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Cora wrote: "Max and I are planning on participating again for October."

I love the ones that do these with their kids! Such great inspirations! Hope to someday as well. <3

message 17: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Here we go!

I am happy to add that my 13-year old daughter, Emma will be joining us too. She has a book she is reading for English class and wants to make progress on that.

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
We are in Maryland, USA.

Max has been holding on to his Mostly Harmless audio book just for this readathon. I am looking forward to Devil in a Blue Dress and Emma just decided to join us, so she currently is looking forward to making progress on Uglies.

We are going to have cheese fries for dinner.

I am a stay at home mom in Maryland that enjoys reading and photography. Max is a 10-year old in 5th grade. He does karate and acrobatic gymnastics. Emma is a 13-year old in 8th grade, she is a competitive acrobatic gymnast.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

We have a lot less running around to do today. I am looking forward to trying to do some reading/listening outside today.

message 18: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 466 comments Welcome to Emma! My daughter has a book for school she needs to make progress on as well. But also so many other books to tempt her. 😆 Good luck and happy reading to you all!

message 19: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 74 comments Good luck with this readathon! You got this!

message 20: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Update: I finished In the Stacks (77 pages). Max is taking a break from his audiobook to read a graphic novel, PopularMMOs Presents A Hole New World by PopularMMOs . Emma is still working on Uglies.

message 21: by Cora (last edited Oct 20, 2018 07:24AM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Update: Max finished PopularMMOs Presents A Hole New World which gave him some BINGO squares (read a graphic novel, read a book with a female protagonist). He is going back to the audio of Mostly Harmless now which will give him "read 250 pages)," "read a book with a male protagonist," "read a book in a series," "read more than one book," and "read a book with a person on the cover."

I am starting Runtime by S.B. Divya and Emma is continuing with Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld .

message 22: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Emma has hit her required page count for school with Uglies (her teacher doesn't want them to read ahead) so she is switching over to Ahimsa by Supriya Kelkar .

message 23: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments All three of us have read Instructions by Neil Gaiman for the Bingo square "A book with a beautiful cover."

message 24: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments You're all doing well!! Have fun!

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan | 466 comments Go Cora and family!

message 26: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Update: Max's phone ran out of batteries just as we were about to go for a walk. So we put off the walk to charge his phone and he read The Stonekeeper in the meantime. He finished that one and is reading Science Comics: Sharks: Nature's Perfect Hunter. We are going to try the walk again shortly.

I finished Runtime and will switch over to audio for a little while. I am listening to The Lady of the Rivers currently.

message 27: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Turns out that Max was working on Life, the Universe, and Everything, not Mostly Harmless (woops). He finished that audio book and is starting on So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

message 28: by Cora (new)

message 29: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 466 comments How did Max like The Stonekeeper? We all love that series, and have read up to vol. 7. (Not today, mind.)

Sounds like you're both doing great and having a great time!

message 30: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Leni wrote: "How did Max like The Stonekeeper? We all love that series, and have read up to vol. 7. (Not today, mind.)

Sounds like you're both doing great and having a great time!"

He said he it was good. We got the first two from the library, so we will see if he gets to the next one.

message 31: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Update: Max said So Long and Thanks for All the Fish was a bit boring, so he switched over to the audio of Harry Potter V: The Order of the Phoenix. I am about to start Let It Shine.

message 32: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments 1. Which hour was most daunting for you?

For me it was about midnight (hour 16), my eyes would not focus on my books. For Max it was at about 3:30am (hour 19) when he finally fell asleep while listening to his audiobook. Emma could only participate in the morning because she had plans for the rest of the day.

2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read!

Cora:
In the Stacks (finished)
Runtime (finished)
Let It Shine (finished)
The Lady of the Rivers (audiobook - read part)
Instructions (finished - picture book)
Dream Big Dreams: Photographs from Barack Obama's Inspiring and Historic Presidency (finished)
"The Black Ferris" story in Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
"My Sister is a Werewolf" poem in Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (audiobook, listened to part)

Max
PopularMMOs Presents A Hole New World (finished)
The Stonekeeper (finished)
Science Comics: Sharks: Nature's Perfect Hunter (finished)
Life, the Universe and Everything (finished)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (started)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (started)
"The Black Ferris" story in Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
"My Sister is a Werewolf" poem in Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
Instructions (finished)

Emma
Instructions (finished)
Uglies (about 100 pages)
Ahimsa (about 30 pages)

3. Which books would you recommend to other Read-a-thoners?
Max recommends The Stonekeeper
Cora recommends Runtime

4. What’s a really rad thing we could do during the next Read-a-thon that would make you happy?
Everything was great for us. Maybe we will think of something after our brains have some sleep.

5. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? Would you be interested in volunteering to help organize and prep?

We would love to participate again. I am not sure about volunteering, but wouldn't rule it out.

message 33: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Great job, Cora and family!

message 34: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Official start of the April 2019 Readathon:

1)What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
We are in Maryland

I am looking forward to the March graphic novels and Max wants to do a Bobiverse audiobook marathon.

I have a busy day, so I am very unprepared for snacking :(.

I am a stay at home mom from Maryland and Max is my youngest son (he is eleven now). I like to read and do photography. Max likes martial arts and acrobatic gymnastics.

This is our third readathon. Unfortunately, I can't read the entire day today so Max and I are getting in whatever we can this morning because this afternoon I have to drive with a friend to NJ and I am not sure if my friend will want to audiobook for the entire ride. Because of this trip, Max and I did not prepare the way we have in the past with library books and snacks. He plans to continue listening to his audiobooks after I leave and I hope to get more reading in this evening. But I have to work tomorrow, so I will not be able to stay up all night.

message 35: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments I love that your son is participating with you! That's my favorite thing to see!

message 36: by Cora (last edited Apr 06, 2019 09:29AM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Just checking in...

Max is still happily listening to the We Are Legion (We Are Bob) and I have finished both March: Book One and March: Book Two and I am getting ready to start March: Book Three.

message 37: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 73 comments Good job for you and Max! He is at the greatest age!

message 38: by Cora (last edited Apr 06, 2019 10:03AM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Max is going to play BINGO. He is trying to get five in a row.

Diagonal (Top Left to Bottom Right)

Participate in Hourly Discussions on Goodreads: DONE (he participated in the hour two discussion).

Take a Break and Do Some Streatches:

Free Space: DONE

Read for A Total of 5 Hours: DONE

Read in Two Separate Places: DONE - Living Room and Bedroom

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan | 466 comments I hope that both you and Max are having a wonderful day of reading!

message 40: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Max took a break and stretched so he finished his BINGO line. He also finished We are Legion and has moved on to the We are many.

message 41: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Cora wrote: "Max took a break and stretched so he finished his BINGO line. He also finished We are Legion and has moved on to the We are many."

Way to go, Max!

message 42: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 466 comments Congrats on Bingo, Max!

message 43: by Emmie (new)

Emmie Pritchard | 3 comments Congrats Max!!

message 44: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Official start of the August 2019 Reverse Readathon:

1)What fine part of the world are you reading from today? And what time is it where you are?

Not sure, I am playing it by ear and not sure what books I will pick up.

Ice Cream

4) Do you have a #reversereadathon plan of attack?
Not really this time. The family is away at camp so I have the house to myself for a change and a lot fewer distractions. Of course they will be returning tomorrow afternoon, so the second half of the read a thon may be affected by their return.

5) Are you doing the readathon solo or with others?
Solo this time. Max is at karate camp and will not return until tomorrow afternoon. I suppose he can join me for the last few hours, but they are all usually exhausted when then they get home from camp.

message 45: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Finished my first book. I like to start with a novella that will give me the momentum that comes from the feeling of accomplishment of finishing a book.

Completed Witches of Lychford (Lychford, #1) by Paul Cornell

message 46: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 466 comments It's a shame Max isn't joining in this year, but having the house to yourself during a readathon sounds good too!

message 47: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Hope your second half isn't too busy and maybe Max will join you! :)

message 48: by Cora (last edited Aug 03, 2019 09:06AM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Finished my second book:

The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1) by Jane Harper

message 49: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Max and I are participating again!

Our opening survey:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Maryland, USA

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I plan to read the graphic novel Nimona and Max is looking forward to The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I did not do my usual grocery run yesterday, so we are working with what we already have. I am thinking of making a pumpkin dump cake, but otherwise it would be ice cream.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself! Other than reading my other hobby is photography. Max does martial arts and acrobatic gymnastics.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I didn't make it to the grocery store or library yesterday, so we are working with what we have in the house this time. Hopefully that will result in a reduction of the TBR.

message 50: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 128 comments Starting with:

How Long 'til Black Future Month? on audio. I am starting at approximately page 145.

All Creatures Great and Small on kindle. I am starting at page 114.

Max is starting with The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl. He is starting from the beginning today. He is reading this for his school's book wars club.

« previous 1 3