Start by marking “Twelve Angry Men” as Want to Read:
Twelve Angry Men

Twelve Angry Men

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  17,545 Ratings  ·  776 Reviews
A landmark American drama that inspired a classic film and a Broadway revival—featuring an introduction by David Mamet

A blistering character study and an examination of the American melting pot and the judicial system that keeps it in check, Twelve Angry Men holds at its core a deeply patriotic faith in the U.S. legal system. The play centers on Juror Eight, who is at firs
Published August 29th 2006 by Penguin Classics (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Angry Men, please sign up.

Navy heart HamlinNBCT Absolutely -The book should be read -Each of us bring another perspective to this powerful point in history-
Cynda Nikhil, I understand your concern. The characters are numbers, appropriate for jurors, difficult to relate to as as literary characters. What I did to…moreNikhil, I understand your concern. The characters are numbers, appropriate for jurors, difficult to relate to as as literary characters. What I did to solve this problem: I gooogled "images of twelve angry men movie". I scanned the images until I found the images that shows that 12 jurors. I remember the old movie, so I looked at those images all through reading the play. There is another images with the most recent pics of the 12 jurors. Take your pick of the pics. It helps.(less)

Huda Yahya

لجنة المحلفين في مسرحيتنا هذه باقة منوعة من البشر
كلهم يجمعهم شيء واحد
الرغبة في القيام بهذا الواجب الوطني المشرف بأقصى سرعة
Flannery
You would think they would've forced us to watch Twelve Angry Men in law school, but they didn't. After reading the play and watching the movie a few weeks ago, I feel like every American should have to read Twelve Angry Men. The play centers on a jury deliberation. During several heated hours (literally and figuratively), twelve men discuss whether the verdict they come to will exonerate a young man for the murder of his father, or condemn him to a death sentence that the judge explained he had ...more
Jonathan
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
The following will be a twelve thousand word dissertation on the seventy page long play by Reginald Rose. Or maybe not. Maybe I'll simply stick to reviewing.

Recently I've been reading several plays and short stories. In part because I'm required to (like this one) and in part because I enjoy the difference in media. So I shall promptly go over what makes Twelve Angry Men different.

The play itself covers the case of an apparently guilty boy claimed to have stabbed his father. The prosecution app
Liz Janet
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
First of all, go and watch the film version of this with Henry Fonda, as it is one of the greatest films of all time. I have yet to meet one person that did not like nor appreciate the importance of that film.

“There were eleven votes for “guilty.” It’s not easy for me to raise my hand and send a boy off to die without talking about it first.” This short play follows a jury, as they try to pass a verdict on a homicide case. Juror 8 believes there is reasonable doubt while all the other men have
notgettingenough
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-lit, drama, pairs
I made some comments about this play in my review of The Affair As an afterthought, I think it is worth mentioning something about the maleness of both. Females are involved in none of the overt process of decision making in either work. But nonetheless, there is a striking difference between them. Twelve Angry Men is just that. But The Affair has a strong female presence. The men who have wives are highly influenced by them. It is the women who impel the men to action and it is the women who wa ...more
Becky
I love this. It's so brilliant in so many ways.

I remember reading this in school and thinking how unfair it was of the main "antagonist" juror, #3, to disregard all points regarding anything that might lead to a not-guilty verdict simply because of his own personal prejudices and opinions.

It's interesting to me now how that tells me as much about myself as it does about the characters. Back then, I thought that Juror 3 was a mean man, almost evil, and that he just wanted the defendant to die t
Connie
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The twelve angry men in this play are members of a jury deliberating during a homicide trial. They must come to an unanimous decision of "guilty" or "not guilty" to prevent a hung jury. Their decision has serious consequences since a guilty charge will result in a death sentence. Eleven jurors are ready to make a snap decision of guilty and head home, but one dissenting juror has a reasonable doubt. He prompts the other jurors to examine the evidence more closely.

The young man on trial is a mino
Greta
"Oh. Well...
I just think he's guilty. I thought it was obvious."

photo 03AC6496-17C0-47DD-AF2B-CB072E948369.jpg

This is a passionate play about twelve jurors who must decide whether a boy who's charged with premeditated homicide of his father, is guilty or not.

Only one member of the jury believes there's a reasonable doubt as to the guilt of the accused, and forces the other jurors to examine the evidence more thoroughly.

The fierce argument that follows is a powerful warning against rash judgment and condemnation based on ignorance, prejud
Scarlet Cameo
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc-16

Pocas veces en la vida podemos encontrarnos en una situación donde la vida de una persona depende de las decisiones que tomemos y de los factores que influyen en esas decisiones. En esta obra un jurado está deliberando la muerte de un hombre por el asesinato de su padre, mismo que el acusado afirma no haber cometido. Con una sentencia de 11 de doce votos que lo sentencian como culpable, el jurado 8 es la única oportunidad con la que cuenta para salvarse.

Ente las dudas de un jurado esta historia
Amanda
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: engl-7701
I was very excited about reading "Twelve Angry Men." I've seen the film, so when I saw that the play was a choice for class reading, I couldn't wait to read it.

My immediate response to the text was that I couldn't put it down. I was compelled by the 8th Juror's arguments and by figuring out each individual's demeanor and attitude, I loved discovering more and more about each character as I read about their interaction with other characters. As I continue reading, I'm not only motivated by the ul
Troy Blackford
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What a play! This was amazing stuff. Though you can sense it is getting up there in years, it doesn't seem nearly as dated as many of the things of its era. I had heard of this my whole life but never really known much about it. It didn't take long to realize that I was dealing with a major work of incredible power. Heavily recommended.
Jenny
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: play, 2016
Amazing.

Never having seen the play, I picked this up as a "Book You Can Read in a Day" and read it in a little over an hour. There is so much packed into so few words. I loved it.
Joaquin Garza
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poesía-y-teatro
Nota mental # 1: Cuando veas anunciada una obra de teatro con doce actores muy conocidos y de entre ellos por lo menos seis están considerados ‘primeros actores’, tienes que hacer un mínimo esfuerzo por ir a verla.

Si esta obra se llama ‘Doce hombres en pugna’, siempre puedes por recurrir a una bonita adaptación en audiolibro, como en mi caso. Calidad de la representación aparte (muy buena, con Dan Castellaneta [AKA Homero Simpson en inglés] y Héctor Elizondo), la obra es una de aquellas piezas
Lilyan
Interesting.

I read this play as I'm considering taking part in the production and I really enjoyed it.

In the 12 angry men, you see all the different types of people. You have juror 8, who stood against all the others, did not give in to peer pressure and stood his ground. On the other hand of the spectrum, we have juror 3, a bitter, stubborn and biased man.

The play has a very strong message. It's so easy to condemn and judge someone from the safety of our comfortable jury rooms/homes/offices.
Radwa

"It takes a great deal of courage to stand alone"

When I like a book, I can give it 5 stars without a single word, but this one is different.

What can I call it? it's "us" the people we meet every day and how they think, act and feel.

You may see them act as if they know the whole truth about anything.

They may feel they're unwanted or unimportant.

And they get excited sometimes and they want to take revenge on a wrong person.

But at the end, they admit their guilt.

Andrew G.
Oct 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
This play only takes place in a jury room, and the setup to the plot line is never revealed all at once. An interesting point of this book is that there are no names, only the numbers of the jurors and the witnesses of the case as the 'old man', or 'woman'. These twelve jurors are appointed to deliberate on the trial of a teenage boy who allegedly stabbed his father, and it looks like a open-and-shut case in the beginning, but the evidence that is revealed during the story makes it much more di ...more
Rachel Lightwood

I find that I truly don’t have much to say about this particular read. It was for school, obviously. Now that I think about it, I don’t think I’ve ever picked up a play for simple pleasure reading…. but that’s not the point. This story should’ve been right up my alley since it’s largely a thriller, but it was pretty monotonous and a little slow. I did think it was engaging and realistic. It cast a pretty accurate (from what I believe) picture of life in 1957 America, but it was anticlim
Lesley
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audiobook
I have read this a few times! This time while walking I listened to the audio! This is our American jury system! What I found so interesting that this was in the 1950's but they had the same concerns "The dangerous times we are living", the racial and socioeconomic concerns as well as right vs wrong!
Camille
Jan 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dr-crovitz-class
Sharon
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I remember seeing the movie years and years ago, and it being a powerful thing. Reading the script was just as powerful, and I think it will always be timeless. The way the judicial system works, the way it shows how people are people...amazing.
Justin
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: engl-7701
I read Twelve Angry Men at some point during my middle or high school years, but I don’t remember exactly when. I also recall watching the original motion picture, and more recently, I’ve seen the updated movie. I was always really intrigued by the premise: a man is on trial for murder, all the evidence confirms his guilt, one lone juror stands up for him and converts everyone else to a plea of not guilty – it’s very “Hollywood.” It’s been a while though, since I’ve read the actual play.

When I f
Ryan
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Why should Reginald Rose's Twelve Angry Men work? If anything, it starts with what I would have thought a tired premise: jurors -- all men, 12 of them, and fairly angry -- in deliberation. So what?

Well, for one thing, "a man's life is at stake."

To make matters worse, I'll admit that I am not usually a fan of reading plays. In fact, I was sure that this one, with its twelve nameless characters, would be a real struggle to get through. Who can tie a character's character to a name like "Juror #8?"
AleJandra
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clasicos
Esta historia es un Clásico contemporáneo y parte de la cultura popular, les aseguro que al menos una vez han escuchado de su mención en algún medio.

Yo recuerdo un capítulo de How I met your mother donde hacen referencia, también recuerdo un capítulo de Malcolm in the middle, donde hicieron un capitulo completo basado en esta historia.

Cosas importantes a saber de esta historia:
-Es un guion teatral, no una novela. Por lo tanto, son solo diálogos.
-Es una historia cortita.
-Tengan en cuenta el año e
Whitney (First Impressions Reviews)
First Impressions
After watching Making a Murderer, a play about a jury debating the innocence of a juvenile being tried for murder seemed appropriate.

Impressions While Reading

It a first seemed like a simple story but it was anything but and the tensions the bounced from one to another kept the listener in suspense to learn the verdict.

Final Impressions

Twelve Angry Men was satisfying and had you questioning the boy's innocence but I thought it ended abruptly and thus the conclusion was not fulfil
Chris
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that there some people who think that this play is dated. What are the chances of having an all white and all male jury? To these people, I respond, have you seen the news lately?
A nice audio performance of the play. My favorite version, however, is still Showtime’s which had a racially mixed cast.
Ecem
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
*4.5* It was a required reading, but it was also fast pace and leaves you with a doubt in your mind. I was hesitant just because it is a play, and now I suggest everyone to read it.
Jay
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Realini
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theater
Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose
Majestic play and a wonderful entertainment that is both meaningful and worthwhile

The movie with Henry Fonda is a classic, but I did not know that there is a play named Twelve Angry Men.
And it is extraordinary on so many levels.
The tension keeps building up like we are not confined to a room and it offers me -and I see thousands of others on goodreads- a fabulous ride which beats any Fast and the Furious.
Granted, on that last count it is a figure of speech, for
Ryan Milbrath
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reginald Rose had written Twelve Angry Men as a television play in 1954. The story follows the deliberations of 12 jurors in a homicide trial. The jurors are only referred to by their number and there are no stipulations as to their appearance outside of age and gender. Initially, only one juror, juror 8, dissents with the majority; citing reasonable doubt as for his justification for his “not guilty” verdict. Unable to reach a unanimous decision, the jurors find themselves re-examining the deta ...more
Operation Book Club: BOOK 35: Twelve Angry Men 4 7 May 10, 2017 08:48AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Twelve Angry Men Book Review 1 3 Jan 10, 2017 04:53PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose 1 15 Mar 19, 2016 06:05PM
Around the Year i...: Twelve Angry Men, by Reginald Rose 1 14 Mar 02, 2016 09:40PM
If a potential juror claimed this was his favorite play... 1 15 Oct 18, 2014 03:34PM
Comparisons 2 19 Dec 29, 2012 12:40AM
  • Fiddler on the Roof
  • Blithe Spirit
  • My Fair Lady
  • Harvey
Reginald Rose (December 10, 1920 – April 19, 2002) was an American film and television writer most widely known for his work in the early years of television drama. Rose's work is marked by its treatment of controversial social and political issues. His realistic approach helped create the slice of life school of television drama, which was particularly influential in the anthology programs of the ...more
More about Reginald Rose...

“It takes a great deal of courage to stand alone even if you believe in something very strongly.” 56 likes
“Facts may be colored by the personalities of the people who present them.” 32 likes