LessWrong discussion

What are you reading at the moment?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaleptikon) | 4 comments At the moment I'm reading Superintelligence and the Anki Essentials. I'm interested to hear what you are reading at the moment :)

message 2: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Giraldo | 1 comments I'm currently working my way through Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

message 4: by Teo 2050 (last edited Aug 10, 2014 04:45AM) (new)

Teo 2050 (teo2050) | 2 comments I've liked slowly-but-steadily going through Campbell Biology as a refresher for natural science courses taken a few years ago, though now I've had it on hold to finish Mindmelding: Consciousness, Neuroscience, and the Mind's Privacy, and starting Rationality and the Reflective Mind (which seemed also popular on LW). Too many things at once is making me feel tired though: I shouldn't have read Humans of New York( <3) in one sitting, all those lives flooding into my head normally so abstract & free from such avalanches of detail :~) + giving all things Zen a chance now and then, not sure what to make of them, but feels like good counterbalance.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently reading the MIRI paper on Coherent Extrapolated Volition.

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (graehl) | 1 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... - too many words (crap writing style) but has some info.

Before that, MaddAddam, which was fine escapist stuff. https://www.goodreads.com/series/5567...

message 7: by Ril (new)

Ril | 1 comments 'How to think like a mathematician',
'How to think like a computer scientist: Learning with Python',
'Decisive: How to make better choices in life and work',
'Practical Vim' and 'Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training'.

Thanks Anna for 'Anki Essentials' - I found it very useful considering my daily usage of the program ;)
Sorry for the lack of hyperlinks ;P

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaleptikon) | 4 comments I even added Anki Essentials to Goodreads, so that more people find it, because I think it's very useful : ) ->
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 9: by Teo 2050 (new)

Teo 2050 (teo2050) | 2 comments (At 40% this could be too early to praise the whole book, but) I'm finding The Glass Bead Game continuously fruitful as ground for reflecting on my life situation. I expect it would speak especially to those having trouble narrowing down academic interests to pick a specialized path, as (at least so far) it has been largely about this hierarchical order of students of the Game holistically combining music, mathematics, philosophy, history and whatnot, yet this way of life is depicted as necessarily removed from the outside world as a separate institution because of the attention and immersion required. And if you have strong feelings about masters and pupils, you might like.

Can anyone recommend other books by Hermann Hesse?

message 10: by Edan (new)

Edan Maor (edanm) | 1 comments Teo wrote: "(At 40% this could be too early to praise the whole book, but) I'm finding The Glass Bead Game continuously fruitful as ground for reflecting on my life situation. I expect it would sp..."

While very different, both in feel and length, Siddhartha is a classic book by Hesse. It was a very influential book in the "hippie" era, actually, but in my mind it remains very good and well worth reading. I read it after reading The Glass Bead Game and found it quite good.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaleptikon) | 4 comments I also enjoyed "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse a lot but would also recommend "Steppenwolf" :)

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy McKenzie | 1 comments +1 to The Glass Bead Game

I'm currently reading:

Superintelligence
The Myth of Mirror Neurons (well, it just shipped)
Gravity's Rainbow (desert)

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaleptikon) | 4 comments The Myth of Mirror Neurons sounds exciting - I would be thankful if you tell me the most important message you got from it after you finished :)