Start by marking “Humans of New York” as Want to Read:
Humans of New York

Humans of New York

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  16,391 ratings  ·  1,463 reviews
A beautiful, heartfelt, funny and inspiring collection of photographs capturing the spirit of a city

In the summer of 2010, photographer Brandon Stanton set out on an ambitious project: to single-handedly create a photographic census of New York City.  Armed with his camera, he began crisscrossing the city, covering thousands of miles on foot, all in an attempt to captu
Published October 15th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Humans of New York, please sign up.
Norman Peires Thanks for your replies - yes, I agree - some of the photos can get lost in the sheer number of blog posts and it will be good to have them all gather…moreThanks for your replies - yes, I agree - some of the photos can get lost in the sheer number of blog posts and it will be good to have them all gathered together. And I think there must be something visually powerful in putting them together in a static form - showing the parts *and* the sum of the parts - how the photos all fit together in a mosaic of city life. I am definitely going to buy the book. (less)

·  16,391 ratings  ·  1,463 reviews

Start your review of Humans of New York
Nat
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Photography felt like a treasure hunt, and even though I sucked at it, I’d occasionally stumble upon a diamond. And that was enough to keep me wanting more.”

description

This was exactly the kind of photography book I’ve been looking out for. With four hundred color photos, including exclusive portraits and all-new stories, Humans of New York is a stunning collection of images that showcases the outsized personalities of New York.

Looking at the pictures and putting together a story when there weren’t an
Suzanne
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
10 stars plus more. I was a happy customer when I stumbled into an independent bookstore on a recent trip to Canberra. I went for a quick stroll whilst waiting for a food order at an eclectic little café. I didn’t even realise it was on my TBR when buying it, such is my book obsession.

This book is based on the premise of the author’s blog, which being anti-social media I didn’t realise, and I guess, most people are aware of the blog and not the book.

I love New York so this was good for me, and e
Kevin Kelsey
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Fantastic. Interesting people doing interesting things.
Whitney Atkinson
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book was an unprecedented experience. I've been a fan of HONY for as long as I can remember, and this book definitely delivered priceless stories, quotes, and, obviously, photographs. I cannot recommend Brandon's work enough: he is brave and a master at collecting detail and eliciting emotion through his work. I highly anticipate getting my hands on his second book!
Gene Hult
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it
The three stars is not for Stanton's HONY photographs, which are fascinating, gorgeous, heartbreaking, humbling, and yes, human. Rather the lower score is for the layout and format of this book. It seems like the designer had no idea how to present photographs, the publisher lost a battle over the format, and an editor cut the captions with too heavy a hand. Too many beautiful pictures are broken awkwardly over the gutter, destroying their impact, and the squat, vertical trim is all wrong for sh ...more
Carol
Many of my GR friends have exclaimed about the talent of Brandon Stanton and his project Humans of New York. Suzanne’s Review finally convinced me I needed to experience this book.

Photographs record moments in time that otherwise would be lost forever. Nothing portrays the personality of an individual as their photograph. In this collection Brandon Stanton set out to capture through his lens the people he calls ”The Humans of New York”. He captions each photograph with a story, either his own
Trudi
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with a pulse.
Recommended to Trudi by: carol.
It seems I'm always late to these things. Humans of New York had long existed as a blog with tens of thousands of loyal followers by the time I discovered this book. It was a thrilling discovery all the same, and better late than never as the saying goes.

When I found out about the book I checked out the blog immediately starting about 10:30 at night. At 2 am I was still riveted. I literally could not stop looking. It's since become one of my newer addictions/obsessions. It appeals to the people
Lauren Cecile
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this in one sitting. I was engrossed in every story. Real people. Real stories. Authentic thoughts and feelings and interests. You never know what someone is or has been going through. It was like people-watching with Cliff's notes. I'd love to see another edition and I'd love to see this done in other cities. What an outstanding project!
Mariah Roze
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I now have officially read all of the Humans of New York books! My favorite book was the Humans of New York: stories. I also enjoyed this book (the first one), but it did not have explanations with every photo, which I prefer it did.
Elyse  Walters
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had not even considered writing a review of this book ----[its easy to forget to publicly acknowledge books like these, when I mostly read novels].....and I have not taken the book into my own house.

I don't own a copy --nor did I check it this out from the library ---(I cheated I suppose).....but I have read through this book a half dozen times since it first was released it stores). Its been my 'go-to-keep-me-company', book in the coffee shop in my neighborhood book store while having tea. Th
Margitte
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-read, nonfiction

I just wanted to add this to my GR shelves. I don't think I need to introduce this internationally sensational book to anyone.

I received the book as a Christmas gift in 2014. What can I say ..... THRILLED BEYOND BELIEVE would probably be accurate.

Believe me, you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what I am talking about.

Me and New York. You don't understand! God struggles too and I don't blame Him. :
Kelli
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I should begin by acknowledging that I did not realize when placing this book on hold that it was a book of photographs. (In fact, for some reason I was under the impression that it was a book of short stories.). I also failed to realize it was connected to a blog. (Historically, blogger books haven't worked for me.)

At first glance, I didn't love this book. It reminded me a little of the popular eighties photojournalistic series A Day in the Life of...but more posed. After going through the book
Kirstine
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
"As a people photographer, my first response to something new is not aesthetic judgment, but rather thankfulness. Without the risk takers, I’d have nothing new to photograph."

description

I've been a fan of Humans of New York for a long time now. Seeing Brandon's pictures in my facebook feed or on tumblr is one of my favorite things. He's himself stated that the blog didn't truly take off until he started adding the quotes and the commentary to the pictures, and I can understand why. It adds so much extra de
Christine Zibas
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
"Every time I force myself to go outside, something wonderful happens."

This extraordinary book of photographs will renew your faith in the human spirit, and make you see things with new eyes. The beauty of his subjects -- and their often quirky commentary -- is a delight, and it's amazing the wide range of personalities Photographer Brandon Stanton has been able to capture here.

Stanton didn't begin life as a photographer, but instead as a trader in Chicago. The switch from focusing on money to f
Jeffrey (Akiva) Savett
I hesitate to rain on the parade of laurels being heaped upon this book. I enjoyed looking at these photos. It was inspiring and warming to see the vivacity and diversity of New York's humans.

But I have several serious reservations.

Firstly, Stanton is not a great photographer. He admits as much in the introduction. He takes GOOD to AVERAGE photgraphs of very interesting people and scenes. So as I made my way through the book, I felt sort of cheated. I kept waiting for a "whoa" inspiration and in
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
I don't even know how one would rate a book like this.
I just know I'm fucking glad I bought.

It reminded me about inspiration.
About how I used to, and still do, modify things to my own taste: clothing, decorations, whatev.

It stokes my continuing passion for photography. There's something about capturing a moment. There's so much more to see, to read, to feel in a still. I can always find new colors or tiny details or unintended stars.

I don't care how cheesy it sounds, but it shows that every good
carol.
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Humans
I’ve been following Humans of New York on Facebook for some time now. As a long time NYC-ophile, it captures everything I love about the people-zoo that is my vision of New York. Although I’ve become a devoted library user in the interests of space, economy and the minimally lived life, I recently decided I needed to make both space and budget for those I’ve been following for free on-line (The Oatmeal, Hyperbole and a Half and Sylvia, to name some others) and Stanton’s newly published collectio ...more
Prashasti
All smiles!

❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I love the book premise. I've been following them on fb as well. The photographer takes random photos of anyone and everyone in NY and posts it along with a bit of their conversation. People's wishes, losses, difficulties, and other bits of their life's journey are laid bare for people to see and read. Each vignette can be funny, inspiring, sad, fascinating, mundane, odd, young, old, and so much more. It is mesmerizing.

I have since found other fb pages -- "people of" you name it. It's so eye op
Jill Mackin
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love HONY! I've been reading his blog for years..
Renee Amberg
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
powerfully beautiful. beautifully powerful.
Jemppu
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating scenes of stirring little moments, offering glimpses to diverse and delightful set of fascinating individuals and their shared anecdotes.

Michele Brenton
Humans of New York - so good I'd buy it twice.

I'm proud to be one of the first people who started following the Facebook page Humans of New York. I introduced my husband and son (who are both photography students) to the page and they in turn introduced others to Brandon's work online.

And this is how Brandon Stanton's book became a New York Times bestseller on pre-orders. Because all over the world people like me fell in love with his way of portraying people photographically and fusing those im
Marnie
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
AMAZING! So unbelievably proud of Brandon and loved the book!
robin friedman
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
New York Tendaberry

Brandon Stanton’s “Humans of New York” (2013) captures the joy, diversity, and promise of American and New York City life in a book of 400 glossy color photographs. Taken over a three-year period, the photographs show people of all ages, races, economic classes ,religions, and conditions of life. There are photographs of people alone, with their pets, with lovers, or with friends and family. Some of the subjects are homeless street people while others clearly live a life of op
Rosaline (Rosaline's Rolls & Scrolls)
Y'all! This was beautiful!

I never thought I would love a book containing only pictures of people this much. A millisecond of a person's life captured with the lenses of a camera, frozen forever in time. Beyond all these faces is a story; there's whole entire life. We're all similar, but we're not the same. And you can see this human uniqueness in each and every photo in this book.

How the eyes of these people show you their heart, and how you can stare at a photo for hours and still find somethin
Carmen
Funny, Witty, Touching & Inspiring! A Beautiful Read! I Loved It! ...more
thePromoParrot
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
What do you expect from a book with a title that seems to be so out of sync with the times?

And again, this is a book based on a blog. But it is not your ordinary blog. It commands an incredulously staggering number of followers - over a million loyal fans.

During his senior year of college, the author took out $3,000 in student loans and bet it on Barack Obama to win the presidency. A friend heard about this bet and got him a job trading bonds on the Chicago Board of Trade where he traded three y
Hâf
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge HONY fan and I've been wanting to get my hands on Brandon Stanton's books for years! Then I realised a local library had this copy in stock, so I grabbed it as soon as I could. This book did not disappoint. Brandon has such an amazing skill with photography and the sentences or phrases he includes with each photo are so thought provoking. I'm hoping I'll be able to read Hony Stories soon too.
Special project for middle school education 1 3 May 10, 2018 08:36PM

• Underwater Dogs
  • The World of PostSecret
  • PostSecret: Confessions on Life, Death, and God
  • Awkward Family Photos
  • Wreck This Journal
  • PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives (PostSecret)
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • Street Photographer
  • Fictitious Dishes: An Album of Literature's Most Memorable Meals
  • The Photo Book
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • Vivian Maier: The Color Work
Brandon Stanton graduated from the University of Georgia with a degree in History. He traded bonds in Chicago for three years, before losing his job and moving to New York. In November of 2010, he started the photography blog Humans of New York. Today HONY is followed by nearly one million people, and is the fastest growing Arts and Humanities page on Facebook.