The Challenge Factory discussion

2014 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > August Buddy Read Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Jul 25, 2014 04:05AM) (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5609 comments Mod
Buddy Read

August Buddy Read Discussion
Duration: 01 August 2014 - 31 August 2014

Instructions & Info:

Rules:

Use this thread to find your buddy and determine your book! You can always start by posting books, authors or genres you are interested in! When you decide who you buddy and your book you will head on over to the FINAL SIGN UP thread (see link at bottom) and tell me your book and buddy there (there will be instructions to follow) If you are without a partner by the end of sign up I will try to match the remaining people up, so no worries...EVERYONE will have a buddy:-)

1.If you want to participate post your name and maybe let people know what genre(s) you are interested in reading and or any books that you're interested in reading.

2.If you already know who you’d like to read with, go to the Final Sign Up thread and post your information for me!

3.Whoever doesn’t have a partner, we will try to place with another person and you guys can pick a book together! If we have an odd number we can have groups of three, more people to discuss with!

4.I will create Buddy Discussion Threads for each Buddy group and you will be able to start reading and discussing.

5.The challenge will span a month.

6.For each group we can set up a thread so the two of you can discuss without having to sift through a bunch of other conversation.

7.You CAN sign up for more than one Buddy Read...in fact it's encouraged!

ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK!

Once you have a buddy, go to the August Sign Up Thread and post your book and your buddy.

message 2: by V_Nerdbooks (last edited Aug 01, 2014 07:07AM) (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 5307 comments Vicci's Buddy Reads

The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey Tales of Blood and Sulphur by J.G. Clay Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1) by Emmy Laybourne Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover Sempre (Forever, #1) by J.M. Darhower Carrots (Shelby Nichols, #1) by Colleen Helme The Shade of the Moon (The Last Survivors, #4) by Susan Beth Pfeffer Flat-Out Celeste (Flat-Out Love, #2) by Jessica Park

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) I would love to take part in this challenge.

I'd love to find a partner (or partners) with whom I could discuss books: Fangirl or Ready Player One.

As for genres, my favourites are: fantasy, m/m, historical fiction, biographies.

So

message 4: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16240 comments Mod
Barbara wrote: "I would love to take part in this challenge.

I'd love to find a partner (or partners) with whom I could discuss books: Fangirl or Ready Player One.

As for genres, my favourites are: fantasy, m/m,..."

Barbara, I also read M-m, please post some books you are wanting to read

message 5: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Jul 25, 2014 08:54AM) (new)

Some books I am looking at:
The Lonely (The Lonely, #1) by Tara Brown Jewels of the Sun (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan Disasterology 101 by Taylor V. Donovan Monster in His Eyes (Monster in His Eyes, #1) by J.M. Darhower Forged in Fire (Red-Hot SEALs, #1) by Trish McCallan Beyond the Night (Envy Chronicles, #1) by Joss Ware The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter

@Vicci & Melissa: hurry up with your book lists

message 6: by Steph (new)

Steph (blue01022) I'm about to start We Were Liars, and I've heard that it's a good book to discuss, so I thought I'd post here before I start reading. I'd love a buddy for that one!

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Here's my list of books:
The Undead Pool (The Hollows, #12) by Kim Harrison The High Lord (The Black Magician Trilogy, #3) by Trudi Canavan Tangled (Tangled, #1) by Emma Chase Play (Stage Dive, #2) by Kylie Scott Bound (Mastered, #1) by Lorelei James Breathe (Colorado Mountain, #4) by Kristen Ashley Ivanhoe by Walter Scott

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (drewgrigaliunas) Hello all. I am interested in doing a buddy read. My genres would be romance or mystery. Anyone who is interested may look at my TBR list to find a book or may suggestion one or more to me and I can see if I can get them from my local library.

--DREW

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (drewgrigaliunas) Hello Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker,
I can do either Jewels of the Sun (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts or The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter .

--DREW

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Here's this month's list:
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn Savvy (Savvy, #1) by Ingrid Law Rhinestones (Rhinestones, sequel to Rodeo Dreams) by Catherine Madera Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Reaching for the Reins by Lou Dean Rags & Bones New Twists on Timeless Tales by Melissa Marr Firehorse by Diane Lee Wilson My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me Forty New Fairy Tales by Kate Bernheimer The Dark of the Woods by Terri Windling Star Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #6) by Kathryn Lasky Enthralled Paranormal Diversions by Melissa Marr Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross Snaring Night Book 1 of the Scar Trilogy by Amanda Lee Knauss The Legend of Shannonderry by Carol Warburton Stormy Hill's Legacy by Nancy Clarke A Horse Named Viking by Caroline Akervik

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Steph wrote: "I'm about to start We Were Liars, and I've heard that it's a good book to discuss, so I thought I'd post here before I start reading. I'd love a buddy for that one!"

I just read this book and I absolutely LOVED it! It's one of my favorites (:

message 12: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 718 comments Here are the books I'm thinking about reading in August...(of course I won't be able to read all of these unless I can somehow work them into the many team challenges I am doing LOL)
Show No Mercy (Black Ops, #1) by Cindy Gerard Extreme Exposure (I-Team, #1) by Pamela Clare The Darkest Hour (KGI, #1) by Maya Banks Knave's Wager by Loretta Chase One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2) by Sarah MacLean Talk Me Down (Tumble Creek, #1) by Victoria Dahl

message 13: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 461 comments Angie I'll read The Undead Pool (The Hollows, #12) by Kim Harrison with you when my paperback copy arrives early to mid August

message 14: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Andrew wrote: "Hello Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker,
I can do either Jewels of the Sun (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts or The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter.

--DREW"

We could Both?

message 15: by Lauren (last edited Jul 26, 2014 08:58AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Christina wrote: "Here are the books I'm thinking about reading in August...(of course I won't be able to read all of these unless I can somehow work them into the many team challenges I am doing LOL)"

I'm in for One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2) by Sarah MacLean . When were you thinking of starting, Christina?

message 16: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Lauren wrote: "Christina wrote: "Here are the books I'm thinking about reading in August...(of course I won't be able to read all of these unless I can somehow work them into the many team challenges I am doing L..."

I really liked Book 2 by One Good Earl whereas I didn't like book 1

message 17: by Jim (last edited Jul 29, 2014 09:13PM) (new)

Jim Townsend | 69 comments Good afternoon from New Jersey, I am currently reading Snow Crash from my science fiction and fantasy bookshelf, am also interested in other genres such as mystery, history, travel, and music. I read a lot of nonfiction and am thinking of beginning a stack of books that I bought in June, 2014 at my local library's spring book sale. These include:

*Josephus* by Norman Bentwich; Bait and Switch The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream by Barbara Ehrenreich ; 100 Things You're Not Supposed to Know by Russ Kick ; Pillars of Hercules by Paul Theroux ; and Shakedown Exposing the Real Jesse Jackson by Kenneth R. Timmerman

Jim

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "I really liked Book 2 by One Good Earl whereas I didn't like book 1"

Yeah, had some issues with book #1 as well. Hero was a real asshat for most of the book. Loved the epilogue though so I have high hopes for the next one.

message 19: by Brianna Andreda (new)

Brianna Andreda Here are some books that I am thinking about reading in August:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Tribute by Nora Roberts Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion Tangled (Tangled, #1) by Emma Chase Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1) by Sara Shepard Joyland (Hard Case Crime #112) by Stephen King

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (drewgrigaliunas) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Hello Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker,
I can do either Jewels of the Sun (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts or The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter.

--DREW"

We could Both?"

Sure thing. When would you like to start?

--DREW

message 21: by Steph (new)

Steph (blue01022) Lauren wrote: "I just read this book and I absolutely LOVED it! It's one of my favorites (:"

Good to know! I'm really excited for it!

Brianna wrote: "Here are some books that I am thinking about reading in August: ..."

I'll read Gone Girl with you! But I won't be able to start it until later in the month.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Belinda wrote: "Angie I'll read The Undead Pool (The Hollows, #12) by Kim Harrison with you when my paperback copy arrives early to mid August"

Sounds great Belinda, I'll sign us up!

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Brianna, I'll read Tangled (Tangled, #1) by Emma Chase with you.

message 24: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 718 comments Lauren wrote: "I'm in for One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2) by Sarah MacLean. When were you thinking of starting, Christina? "

If I said it depends on a couple team challenges would that be too much up in the air? I'd love to work it into one of them so maybe the week of Friday the 8th-14th or a week later (the 15th-21st).

message 25: by Barbara (last edited Jul 27, 2014 03:14PM) (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Sorry for my earlier post. Now, I know how it works, so here are some books I want to read in August:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred Six of Hearts by L.H. Cosway

Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker, as for m/m I think about:
Take (Temptation, #2) by Ella Frank Bad Idea (Itch #1) by Damon Suede Climax (Double Alchemy, #2) by Susan Mac Nicol Bound to Be a Groom by Megan Mulry

message 26: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5609 comments Mod
Barbara wrote: "Sorry for my earlier post. Now, I know how it works, so here are some books I want to read in August:

Ready Player One by Ernest ClineFangirl by Rainbow RowellMagic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews[..."

I'm going to read [bookcover:The Gospel of Loki|18665033] in August as well, wanna do a buddy read for that? :)

message 27: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Andrew wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Hello Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker,

--DREW"

We could Both..."

Drew, let's play start date a little by ear. I will probably want to read The Scribe in the first two week and then the Nora Roberts, closer to the end.

message 28: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Jul 27, 2014 09:04AM) (new)

Barbara wrote: "Sorry for my earlier post. Now, I know how it works, so here are some books I want to read in August:.."

Hey Barbara,
I will join you on Take (Temptation, #2) by Ella Frank . I might also do The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred , if not this month, maybe next.

But definitely Take (Temptation, #2) by Ella Frank

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Denise wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Sorry for my earlier post. Now, I know how it works, so here are some books I want to read in August:

Ready Player One by Ernest ClineFangirl by Rainbow Rowell[bookcover:Mag..."

Thank you, Denise. I'd love to do a buddy read with you. I feel bad because of this book and I think that it's the right time to finish it :). Just tell me, when would you like to start.

message 30: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Sorry for my earlier post. Now, I know how it works, so here are some books I want to read in August:.."

Hey Barbara,
I will join you on Take (Temptation, #2) by Ella Frank. I might also do ..."

Thank you, Ezinwanyi. Two days ago, I finished the first part and I can't wait to start the next one.

message 31: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Barbara wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Sorry for my earlier post. Now, I know how it works, so here are some books I want to read in August:.."

Hey Barbara,
I will join you on [bookco..."

I signed us up...along with my BR with Drew

message 32: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Hi Brianna,

would you like to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline together?

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Hello Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker,

--DREW"..."

Could I join you for this read?

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Christina wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I'm in for One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2) by Sarah MacLean. When were you thinking of starting, Christina? "

If I said it depends on a couple team chal..."

Anytime is good for me. Just let me know when you're ready

message 35: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Jul 28, 2014 08:16AM) (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Hello Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker,
I can do either Jewels of the Sun (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts or [book..."

both books Angie? and OF COURSE you can join us!!!

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Hello Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker,
I can do either [bookcov..."

Both books

message 37: by K~Terror (new)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 4537 comments Vicci Audio Nerd wrote: "Vicci's Buddy Reads...."

Vicci Audio Nerd - I would read Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover with you!

Steph - I wish I would have held off and read We Were Liars by E. Lockhart with you - Definitely worth discussing!

message 38: by K~Terror (new)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 4537 comments Also thinking about reading any of these next month if anyone is interested:

Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen Slumber (The Fade #1) by Samantha Young The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Shiver by Karen Robards Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater The Haunting Season by Michelle Muto Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1) by Keri Arthur Conversion (Conversion, #1) by S.C. Stephens Bully (Fall Away, #1) by Penelope Douglas The Devil's Metal (Devils, #1) by Karina Halle Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard A Song for Julia (Thompson Sisters, #1) by Charles Sheehan-Miles

message 39: by Brianna Andreda (new)

Brianna Andreda Barbara wrote: "Hi Brianna,

would you like to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline together?"

Yes I would love to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline together.

message 40: by Brianna Andreda (new)

Brianna Andreda Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Brianna, I'll read Tangled (Tangled, #1) by Emma Chasewith you."

Yes I would love to read that one. I've been itching to read it.

message 41: by Brianna Andreda (new)

Brianna Andreda Steph wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I just read this book and I absolutely LOVED it! It's one of my favorites (:"

Good to know! I'm really excited for it!

Brianna wrote: "Here are some books that I am thinking about ..."

That is perfectly fine with me. I would love to read this book together

message 42: by Steph (new)

Steph (blue01022) Kristin wrote: "Steph - I wish I would have held off and read We Were Liars by E. Lockhart with you - Definitely worth discussing!"

Aw, that would have been nice. But I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Brianna wrote: "That is perfectly fine with me. I would love to read this book together"

Great, I signed us up!

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Brianna~I'll sign us up!

message 44: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Brianna wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Hi Brianna,

Yes I would love to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline together."

Thank you, Brianna. I'll sing us up~!

message 45: by Brianna Andreda (new)

Brianna Andreda Steph wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Steph - I wish I would have held off and read We Were Liars by E. Lockhart with you - Definitely worth discussing!"

Aw, that would have been nice. But I'm glad to hear you enjoyed ..."

Great. Looking forward to reading Gone Girl with you.

message 46: by Brianna Andreda (new)

Brianna Andreda Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Brianna~I'll sign us up!"

Great! I can't wait to read Tangled. It's been on my TBR shelf for awhile.

message 47: by Brianna Andreda (new)

Brianna Andreda Barbara wrote: "Brianna wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Hi Brianna,

Yes I would love to read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline together."

Thank ..."

Youre welcome and thank you as well. This title has always made me curious.

message 48: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 5307 comments Hi Kristin, sounds good to me, I can also read Bully with you if you like?

message 49: by K~Terror (new)

K~Terror (k-terror) | 4537 comments Yay! I'll sign us up for both then. :)

message 50: by Runell (last edited Aug 02, 2014 01:32PM) (new)

Runell Hi, Kristin! I would love to read The Knife of Never Letting Go and Unwind with you (if it's not too late).

« previous 1