Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection
This topic is about Arcanum Unbounded
Sanderson - All the Things > Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection [April 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 1st April.

Virginie | 5795 comments Brandon Sanderson!
Brandon Sanderson!
Brandon Sanderson!

Woohoo!

:)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Thanks, Angela!

I've read most of these on their own, but it will be good to get back to it. It's been a while.

Have you read Stormlight Archives yet, Virginie?

Virginie | 5795 comments Yes. I've read every Cosmere-related novels. I still have a few novellas / short-stories to read (hence Arcanum Unbounded). I've only read the first White Sand (I'm not fond of the graphic novel) but I'm planning on reading the prose version at some point.

What about you, CP?

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Yes, I've read them all at least once. Just a couple of the shorts left.

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments This is quick... I need to read Hope of Elantris... probably re-read some others... be great to watch people read Secret History...

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm excited to read Secret History again. I have the ebook from when it first came out.

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments I started... I'm not planning to read this all in one go, since most are re-reads, but I'm most of the way through Emperor's Soul

(view spoiler)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm about 60% finished with Elantris, so I will probably finish that before starting this. I might not though. We'll see how I feel about it later.

Virginie | 5795 comments I'll start The Emperor's Soul tonight, I think. I remember loving it the first time :)

message 11: by Timelord Iain (last edited Apr 02, 2018 04:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments I'm through to Secret History already... I think I'll wait for someone to catch up before I start this one...

This means I read Hope of Elantris (nice little addition... been wanting to read since I heard the backstory to it at the end of Elantris... written for his first fan, basically)... Eleventh Metal (every time I read this it gets me in the mood to start Mistborn again)... and Allomancer Jak (a silly little story)

Virginie | 5795 comments Oh wow, you're fast! I knew it already but... Eh!
I just read the presentation of the Sel system so far. So... The theories I took very long in elaborating are explained there. (I wrote some on the Elantris thread for you Iain. Don't know if you read those). Very simply, very clearly. I feel cheated lol. At least I was right ><

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Yea... I also listen faster on re-reads... Hope of Elantris was the only new read for me here... and half the stuff I listed is only 30 minutes long... there are really 4-5 long pieces in here and the rest are short...

I'd forgotten the info about the Sel system when I was reading Elantris... always good to be proven right in your theories...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments I wish my husband was active on goodreads. He's just started Sanderson last year and more or less he's been reading the same books as this group in the same order. He's now on his last one, Arcanum Unbounded. Think he'd get so much out of the discussion.

Anyway, stalking you guys.

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments He still has 1 more "book" after Arcanum Unbound... the Coppermind wiki... that this is so full of missed connections and Brandon Sanderson Q&A info... he could spend days on there...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Iain wrote: "He still has 1 more "book" after Arcanum Unbound... the Coppermind wiki... that this is so full of missed connections and Brandon Sanderson Q&A info... he could spend days on there..."

Lol, that's not a book and we've both already spent WAY too much time on that website.

message 17: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I will probably start this in the next couple of days. Most of them will be reread for me as well.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments He's not done with Sanderson, though. Just The Cosmere. Next I'm going to get him to read the Reckoners and/or Rithmatist.

message 19: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I really like both of those. Hope he enjoys them! I also had a lot of fun with the Alcatraz books. I think you said you didn't enjoy them?

message 20: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Apr 02, 2018 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments C.P. wrote: "I really like both of those. Hope he enjoys them! I also had a lot of fun with the Alcatraz books. I think you said you didn't enjoy them?"

Yeah, they were the only things Sanderson that I just couldn't get into. I read the first 2 and totally intend to finish them... one day. I know my husband won't like them though. I kind of feel like Sanderson tries too hard to be silly in them. Yes, yes, intended for younger audiences. I'm just not the right kind of reader. I also recently discovered there are 2 more Sanderson books I haven't read: Infinity Blade and Liar of Partinel, which I'm not even sure where to get. Email his team?

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments What about Snapshot?... i always see the banner on his site...

Snapshot

message 22: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I haven't heard of the Partinel one.

Snapshot is pretty good.

message 23: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Apr 02, 2018 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Iain wrote: "What about Snapshot?... i always see the banner on his site...

Snapshot"

Have it :-) Team Sanderson brought it to JordanCon last year right before it was released. Of course I HAD to buy it immediately.

C.P. wrote: "I haven't heard of the Partinel one.

Snapshot is pretty good."

The Liar of Partinel is another one of those that was unpublished. I don't think he ever even finished it. But it gives good info, supposedly, about Hoid. I think you can get it by emailing the team?

message 24: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Apr 02, 2018 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments My version of Snapshot came as a double with Dreamer. I actually haven't read the Dreamer side yet. It's just been sitting there, unread, on my bookshelf. Sad. Need to fix that. It's pretty short.

message 25: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'll have to look into that one. It's probably one I saw in passing and then forgot about.

message 26: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I plan to finish Elantris today and then get started with this. It's taken me longer than expected.

Virginie | 5795 comments I'm only reading a chapter of The Emperor's Soul a day :'(
I'm so busy with work right now, I'm exhausted when I go home.

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Iain wrote: "What about Snapshot?... i always see the banner on his site...

Snapshot"

Have it :-) Team Sanderson brought it to JordanCon last year right before it was released. Of..."

Liar of Partinel is one that he says he recommends NOT reading, from what I remember, since I think he's changed his mind about a lot of details...

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments I'm still waiting for y'all to catch up... plenty of other things on my plate in the meantime, tho... :)

message 30: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Hopefully soon, Iain!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Iain wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Iain wrote: "What about Snapshot?... i always see the banner on his site...

Snapshot"

Have it :-) Team Sanderson brought it to JordanCon last year right..."

Yeah but he wrote it... so I must read it. That's just how it is....

message 32: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I finally started and read through the first chapter of The Emperor's Soul. Pretty sure I've forgotten nearly the whole thing.

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments I forgot to load Halfling's Gem onto my phone, so I continued with this at work last night, after finishing Queen Bitch...

Read through Secret History, White Sand, and part of Shadow of Silence in the Forests of Hell..

I think I noticed more Cosmere-y stuff this time around with Secret History... (view spoiler)

The White Sands excerpt just reminds me how much I wish these were being written as novels...

message 34: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Ok, I read through The Emperor's Soul today. And goodness I had pretty much forgotten all of it from the first time. I don't know what is up with me forgetting things from this world, because Elantris was the same way.

I really enjoyed it. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments C.P. wrote: "Ok, I read through The Emperor's Soul today. And goodness I had pretty much forgotten all of it from the first time. I don't know what is up with me forgetting things from this world, because Elant..."

I'd forgotten a lot of details as well... some stories more than others...

I finished today with Sixth of Dusk and Edgedancer... only thing I remembered about Sixth of Dusk is that the Investiture involved psychic birds... and that I'd heard there is an outline for a sequel (view spoiler)

Edgedancer I read mostly for completion... a weird time to do it right after Way of Kings... it was alright... I actually found Wyndel's whining more annoying that Lift this time round...

message 36: by Virginie (last edited Apr 11, 2018 09:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Gahr, I thought I posted here but didn't apparently.
Read up to Silence. I'm quite excited to start this one as it's the first work I'll read for the first time in the collection.

I remembered pretty well The Emperor's Soul but still enjoyed it immensely. (view spoiler)

I'd read Secret History before diving into Stormlight Archives to first time around. All the cosmery explanations make a lot more sense now :D

Virginie | 5795 comments I'm not sure I'll read Edgedancer... I read it recently and... Well. Too much Lift.

message 38: by Timelord Iain (last edited Apr 11, 2018 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Virginie wrote: "Gahr, I thought I posted here but didn't apparently.
Read up to Silence. I'm quite excited to start this one as it's the first work I'll read for the first time in the collection.

I remembered pre..."

That MaiPon thing seems obvious in hindsight... DOH...

You just got me onto the wiki again... and I found something interesting... pay attention to the God Beyond... the Unknown God... etc... it's a missed connection that some characters across the Cosmere seem to worship:
(view spoiler) did in Emperor's Soul...
(view spoiler) mentions him in Mistborn Era 2...
(view spoiler) mentions him in a story to (view spoiler) in Words of Radiance...
(view spoiler) might have felt him in Oathbringer...
(view spoiler) swear by him in Shadows of Silence... and
(view spoiler) mentions him in the extra scene at the end of the 10th Anniversary edition of Elantris...

Virginie | 5795 comments Oh! OOOOH!

I noticed (view spoiler) mentioning it but I assumed it was (view spoiler)

message 40: by Timelord Iain (last edited Apr 11, 2018 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Virginie wrote: "Oh! OOOOH!

I noticed [spoilers removed] mentioning it but I assumed it was [more spoilers]..."

That's definitely a possibility... some Shards apparently (view spoiler)

it's another theory that (view spoiler)

You sent me down a rabbithole... I could spend all day on the 17th Shard forums and the wiki reading things if I don't stop...

message 41: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I still haven't read anything past Emperor's Soul and Hope of Elantris. Hopefully soon. I plan to reread Edgedancer, though it annoyed me quite a bit the first time around.

Virginie | 5795 comments C.P. wrote: "I still haven't read anything past Emperor's Soul and Hope of Elantris. Hopefully soon. I plan to reread Edgedancer, though it annoyed me quite a bit the first time around."

I won't get back to Arcanum until this weekend at least... I'm swamped in work and got several other books to read at the same time :o

Virginie | 5795 comments @Iain Did you read the prose version of White Sand? I plan to read that one at some point, especially since I'm not continuing with the White Sand graphic novels.

message 44: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments We should set up a buddy read for the prose version. I have it on my kindle and plan to get to it eventually. I am still reading the graphic novels, but would like to read that version as well. I'm sure it's much more detailed.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments C.P. wrote: "We should set up a buddy read for the prose version. I have it on my kindle and plan to get to it eventually. I am still reading the graphic novels, but would like to read that version as well. I'm..."

Do that! It's a great read :-) Too bad there's no audiobook.

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Can anyone share the prose?... I know you can get it by contacting 17th Shard or Peter (there's 2 manuscripts, I think, for 2 things, and they've been outsourced)... but from what I hear it takes awhile...

message 47: by C.P. (last edited Apr 11, 2018 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Mine got to me in minutes. Not sure why it was so much faster than everyone else. I can email it to you.

I got mine by signing up through his website or something.

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Nevermind... White Sands is the one you get for signing up for the Newsletter... which I did a month or 2 ago... I just downloaded it... it's the other one that's hard to get, I think...

The scrapped Hoid material for Dragonsteel, maybe...

message 49: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Gotcha. I think they used to do White Sand differently. I've heard people say it took them ages.

I haven't tried to get the other stuff. Not sure I will.

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments If it's Dragonsteel Prime, he's advised against it anyway... it was scrapped for a reason...

« previous 1