Start by marking “Snapshot” as Want to Read:
Snapshot

Snapshot

Snapshot is a Science Fiction detective story following Anthony Davis, a cop assigned to Snapshot Duty. In this vivid world that author Brandon Sanderson has built, society can create a snapshot of a specific day in time. The experiences people have, the paths they follow—all of them are real again for a one day in the snapshot. All for the purposes of investigation by the ...more
Leather Bound, Numbered Limited Edition, 123 pages
Published April 2017 by Vault Books (first published February 17th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Snapshot, please sign up.
Sarah Just FYI, Katherine Kurtz once told me that waiting for an author to finish a series before buying any of the books greatly increases the chance that…moreJust FYI, Katherine Kurtz once told me that waiting for an author to finish a series before buying any of the books greatly increases the chance that the series will never be finished. Publishers won't continue to publish a series with numbers that are too low. I totally get your feeling but I buy the books and wait to read them now when I don't want to be left hanging.(less)

Start your review of Snapshot
Petrik
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebooks
Well, what can I say? It’s Brandon Sanderson, you know what to expect here; Snapshot is a compelling mini gem of a Sci-Fi novella

The last time I read anything by Brandon Sanderson, it was Arcanum Unbounded around six months ago; this fact itself is a sin already. I’ve caught up to all his books and novellas in his Cosmere universe and I told myself I won’t read anything written by him outside of that universe. Why? Well, I have this belief that just because it’s not his main series, it won’t be
Khurram
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great layering of a short story. This stated off a bit slow, when the science of the Snapshot was being explained they was left as "left to the bean counters". However when you get into it this is a great little detective story. Brandon Sanderson manages to combine the future technology into a modern day detective story with a couple of twists. We are told the story from detective Davis' point of view. After I finished read the story. I though back and saw the clues that were there for the ...more
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
I know, I know.

"You worship anything this man publishes! It's bias! It's prejudice! It's... it's... favoritism!!

To those accusations I say... you're absolutely right!

I'm astonished at Brandon Sanderson's ability to impress me. Be it series or stand alone or novella, I am here for anything under the Sanderson-Sun.

Another wonderfully creative story to add to the list!
James Tivendale
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, sci-fi
I received a review copy of Snapshot in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank Brandon Sanderson and Gollancz for the opportunity.

This novella arrived on my doorstep at 11:30 this morning. I picked it up, loved the cover, read the blurb and decided to stop what I was doing. I dived headfirst into this sci-fi cop thriller and had finished it within 2 hours. I have a 'to be read' list of over 300 books so that fact that the book looked so good that I changed my day's plans to suit
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Brandon Sanderson's new SF detective novella (about 100 pages long) was a pretty twisty read. I read it twice over the weekend, the second time to look for all the clues I had missed on my first read. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

In an alternate version of the United States, the city of Clipperton has cutting edge technology built underneath it that enables those who control it to exactly recreate a particular day in that city’s recent history: a Snapshot of that day, complete with
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sanderson is a magician. He shows you one thing and you think you are so smart and have it all figured out because it is definitely Cornel Mustard in the conservatory with the Candlestick but then BAM POW he does that writing magic that he does and it is amazing and you should have seen it all along but it was Doby in the Quiddich Pitch with a love potion, who knew.

I thought I knew what was happening and what the reveal would be but again I missed it and was totally wrong. This reminds me of an
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Wow…

Once again Brandon Sanderson conjures the unexpected and the expected.
A story you did not know you needed, and brilliance you knew he would deliver.

This one is best experienced knowing as little as possible about the plot, but the premise basics are as follows:

Law enforcement in the city of New Clipperton have access to a facility that enables them to recreate a day in the recent past exactly.
This Snapshot consists of an exact recreation of the city, the people and everything else in it.
Gavin
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was another excellent Sanderson sci-fi novella. The story might have been short but that did not stop both the world and characters from feeling well fleshed out. The story itself was exciting, engaging, and packed with a few shock twists and turns. The story sort of felt a little like a cross between The Matrix and Minority Report!

In the future the technology exists to recreate snapshots of past days. Davis and Chaz are snapshot detectives. They enter the recreation in order to observe and
Larry H
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks, Tadiana, for letting me know about this one!

What a cool novella this was! (Impress your friends by dropping that statement into casual conversation!)

Davis and his partner Chaz are police detectives, but their beat is different from any other: they're employed by a controversial program called Snapshot, which recreates a specific day down to the tiniest detail. In a Snapshot, they're the only real people; everyone else is a "dupe."

Snapshots are based on days when an unsolved crime was
Bradley
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ah, I think this is one of Sanderson's better novellas, easily, and not just because it's housed in a police drama genre. :)

The simple concept of a whole world that can be replayed like a virtual reality is very much a Cosmere concept, but what he does with it, replaying the reality of the last day in order to hunt down a serial murderer, is really cool.

I can totally see myself getting into this as a part of a longer series, but the actions and events of this one is quite satisfying. I'm not
Ahmed  Ejaz
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-lengths, 2018
OH MY GOD!!!
What the hell of a ride it was! Really! I've never experienced something like this before! This whole Snapshot idea is freakin' amazing.
Snapshot is a technology which can recreate a perfect reality of any past day from raw matter. It's like a virtual reality stimulation with the only is that everything in it is physical. You can feel things!

So this novella mainly revolves around two detectives, Davis and Chaz. They are being sent in this stimulation of a past day to investigate a
TS Chan
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, it's been 5 days since I've finished Snapshot and I'm still pretty much like Keanu/Neo.

Mr Sanderson had yet again skillfully crafted a short story that confounds and impresses. You might have thought "Yea, I know how Sanderson's mind works by now and his reveal or twist at the end will most likely be etc etc." Well no, my friend, you would be mistaken. And hence, I was too.

Seriously, this guy can write anything. A detective story of sorts that gives out vibes of The Matrix, Inception and
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Short sci-fi mystery story from Brandon Sanderson... what else could you want?
A great palate cleanser in between other big books I've been reading. I always like his ideas and I appreciate what he did here.
A good read!
Nimrod Daniel
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That's a really great detective thriller story by Brandon, it's a sophisticated story and it's probably different from any detective story you've read, and it has a brilliant ending!

I really liked the idea of the snapshot, which is a recreation of a full day that includes everything. Since the very beginning we're introduced to the deviations in the snapshot - actions that can change the course of time in the snapshot. Deviations are accumulated and can expand in ways that are unpredictable,
Connor
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Emma
This was very clever. The reveal was not expected!
Anish Kohli
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Sanderson read so I didn’t know what to expect going in. I somehow managed to keep all expectations in check and because of that I loved this!!

Snapshot, is a short story and it's review can be summed up with two movie references. It starts off like Source Code and ends like Inception.

Set in the year 2018, Davis and his partner Chaz are Snapshot duty cops. Two real people in an imitation of a particular day of the real life, investigating crimes and gathering evidence.
In here, they
Warda
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m gonna need for Brandon Sanderson to write more detective stories.
These short stories/novellas he writes always leave me craving for more.
Liam Degnan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Sanderson novella, as can only be expected at this point =]. Not my favorite of his work, and not quite the best of his novellas, but still an excellent addition to the many pieces of short fiction he has written. I'm always impressed by how quickly he can build a world, construct a plot, and bring it to a satisfactory resolution. This book was no exception.

Be sure to pick it up!
Tosh
I can always count on Brandon Sanderson's stories to bring me out of a reading funk. This was an interesting, quick read. Another perfect example of the seamingly limitless imagination of the author, and his ability to still surprise you even when you think you know what to expect. I only wish this were longer. The origin of the technology was only vaguely hinted at between the characters, and I'm very curious to know what exactly is making it possible. Possible sequel? I hope so!!
Deborah Obida
Brandon Sanderson is a genius, why couldn't this be longer? It was perfect, it has everything you'll want in a thriller, its so unpredictable I had no idea it was going to end like this,I didn't see it coming, can't say I like it but one thing is for sure, I was not disappointed.
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
So I just read that MGM has bought the movie rights to Snapshot.
This should be interesting to see on a screen.

Snapshot is a short novella that can be read in a little more than an hour, and as my friend Eon wrote in his review, it is best experienced knowing as little as possible about the plot so I will just say that much:

It is a Science Fiction detective story following a specific detective investigating crimes in so called "Snapshots", exact recreations of specific days in the near past -
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/03/10/...

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not the biggest fan of short fiction, but I genuinely enjoy reading Brandon Sanderson novellas. Honestly, I have no idea how the guy does it. Whether his books are 1000 pages or 100, they’re always fun to read, not to mention creative as hell. As you’d expect, this was definitely the case with Snapshot as well.

Davis and Chaz are investigative partners with an interesting job, working out of
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
That was really interesting! 4+ star rating (I haven't decided yet) and RTC. Sanderson strikes again!
Miche
Interesting premise, entertaining and quick read.
Brenda Waworga
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SciFic murder mystery and wrote by Brandon Sanderson? I expected nothing less than amazing tho I wonder why he didn’t wrote more mystery/murder story… this one was so GOOD!!

Amazed by how he created “Snapshot” world.. an expensive but dangerous simulation re-create a day, we followed 2 cops Chaz and Davis… been signed for a small errands ended up with big case (a serial killer murderer) they tried to solve by their own

The ending as usual.. unexpected!! my jaw just dropped to the floor!! OMG but
Mike
I mean, this is what Sanderson does, right? Takes an idea and explores a really fascinating facet of it in the context of interesting and dynamic characters. He has done this with Legion, he has done this with Perfect State, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that he pulls it off again in Snapshot.

In this case the police have access to a stupendous piece of technology that can recreate a single day down to the cooking of a hamburger or the tumbleweed of public litter. Police can go into the
Twila
In a month and a half, this has been my sixth Sanderson story. Yes, I realize I’m burning through these way too fast and that my precious unread pile is getting smaller and smaller and smaller.
AND smaller.
*Sigh*
I just can’t help myself.

What I found here was a very intriguing detective tale—I love detective stories—taking place in a future where there’s such a thing called a Snapshot, which allows people to re-create a past day and witness events as they happened then. As Sanderson stories
Tammie
Sanderson and I have a rocky relationship. At times I think his writing is incredible, but then there have been times I have found it terribly tedious and boring. I know I'm in the minority when it comes to that opinion, but that's just my personal experience. I loved what he did with WoT, I enjoyed Steelheart but didn't love it, I liked Elantris tremendously even though it had some flaws, and so far I love the Wax and Wayne books, but the original Mistborn trilogy was hit and miss with me and I ...more
Justyna
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-next
Pity it was just a short story, I would love to read a full length novel like that, and get more details about some things. Anyway, very interesting and with a surprise in the end. Another cool story by B. Sanderson, looks like no matter what he writes, it's always very good.
YA Buddy Readers'...: Snapshot by Brandon Sanderson - Restarting January 1st 2018 37 76 Jan 06, 2018 06:07AM
DFW Planetary Soc...: Cheap: Snapshot by Brandon Sanderson 1 6 Oct 25, 2017 07:26AM
Fantasy Fanatics: Snapshot 1 7 Mar 01, 2017 08:07PM

• All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer #5)
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • The Dispatcher
  • War Cry
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Foundryside (Founders, #1)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
  • Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1)
  • For We Are Many (Bobiverse, #2)
  • The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency, #1)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • One Word Kill (Impossible Times, #1)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s
“This is the sort of thing I talk about when I explain to readers the difference between what I perceive as a science fiction writer (someone who tries to realistically extrapolate the future) and a fantasy writer (someone who comes up with an interesting effect to explore, then justifies it with worldbuilding). In the end, both are trying to explore what it means to be human. One starts with what we have, and works forward to reach something interesting, then extrapolates the ramifications. The other starts with the interesting thing, then asks how this could have come about. That’s obviously not a catch-all definition, but it has worked for me as one way to explore the genres.” 0 likes