YA LGBT Books discussion

70 views
Archived BOM Nominations > April 2018 Book of the Month - Poll UP - Go VOTE

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Apr 01, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Hey everyone,

We'll have an open nomination this time, but do be aware that a more accessible book (low cost, in libraries, etc) is easier for members to join in on.

What YA LGBTQ book would you like to read, or do you think members who haven't read it should try, (and those who have read it can discuss), as our BotM for Feb-March?

What book made a difference to you, and might to other readers? What sounds interesting, appealing or different?


If possible, link the book page on GR and tell us a little about it or why you picked it, or post the blurb.

The titles of past books of the month that we have read are on all the threads in this "Book of the Month" folder, and you can also check with a search of the group's book-of-the-month Bookshelf at - https://www.goodreads.com/group/books... Please do not repeat a book we have read - either as a past Book of the Month or as a Buddy Read (check the Buddy Read folder) - and please only nominate the first book in a series, unless a later book stands alone completely as a solo read.

Up to two nominations per member. Nominations will be open through Midnight March 31st, or sooner if we get 12 nominations - the max for voting. Feel free to renominate a book that did not win in a past vote, if it fits this category.

(Authors please do not nominate your own books - but readers can definitely nominate a member author's work)

Poll is up here - vote through April 5 - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...


message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments I'm going to nominate an old favorite (available in many libraries and second hand) Magic's Pawn Magic's Pawn (Valdemar Last Herald-Mage #1) by Mercedes Lackey by Mercedes Lackey

Mage-Craft—

Though Vanyel has been born with near-legendary abilities to work both Herald and Mage magic, he wants no part of such things. Nor does he seek a warrior's path, wishing instead to become a Bard. Yet such talent as his if left untrained may prove a menace not only to Vanyel but to others as well. So he is sent to be fostered with his aunt, Savil, one of the famed Herald-Mages of Valdemar.

But, strong-willed and self-centered, Vanyel is a challenge which even Savil can not master alone. For soon he will become the focus of frightening forces, lending his raw magic to a spell that unleashes terrifying wyr-hunters on the land. And by the time Savil seeks the assistance of a Shin'a'in Adept, Vanyel's wild talent may have already grown beyond anyone's ability to contain, placing Vanyel, Savil, and Valdemar itself in desperate peril...


For many of us, this, published 1989, was one of the first books we read with a gay MC in a mainstream story where being gay was not the big focus. Does it stand up to a reread? In today's world, after 30 years of LGBTQ representation, how does this one hold up? Seems like it could be fun to discuss.


message 3: by Lou (new)

Lou | 5 comments We Are Okay We Are Okay by Nina LaCour by Nina LaCour. It just won the Printz Award. It's a quick read and I thought it was amazing.


Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 337 comments Kaje wrote: "I'm going to nominate an old favorite (available in many libraries and second hand) Magic's Pawn Magic's Pawn (Valdemar Last Herald-Mage #1) by Mercedes Lackey by Mercedes Lackey

Mage-Craft—

Though Va..."


I've had this on my TBR forever.


message 5: by Kaje (last edited Mar 28, 2018 06:46AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments I read it (several times) when it came out. Still have a copy with a cover price something like 99 cents. I do wonder how it will read, after decades of changes.

But We Are Okay is on my TBRs too. So both good options.


message 6: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments I'd like to nominate Queens of Geek again, because I still have it on my TBR pile. Also, I know it's fairly new, but Girls Made of Snow and Glass is amazing.


message 7: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments I'll add both of those. Renominating is always fine (they're both on my TBRs too.)


message 8: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Kaje wrote: "I'll add both of those. Renominating is always fine (they're both on my TBRs too.)"

Good to know! On the subject of nominiation, what's the policy on nomming sequels? I read Dreadnought some time ago, and I see the comm has read it too, but haven't read Sovereign yet. I know a second book isn't ideal for the official readalong, but I didn't know if maybe folks wanted to buddy read it?


message 9: by Rez (last edited Mar 28, 2018 05:46PM) (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 583 comments I want to try nominating a graphic novel, see if I have better luck this time.

Off*Beat Volume 1 by Jen Lee Quick Jen Lee Quick's Off*Beat Volume 1.

It is available to read for free on Sparkler Monthly. It is short, comprising only three tankōbon (manga volumes), for a total of 20 chapters.


message 10: by Rez (last edited Mar 28, 2018 05:45PM) (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 583 comments Iamshadow wrote: "Good to know! On the subject of nominiation, what's the policy on nomming sequels? I read Dreadnougt some time ago, and I see the comm has read it too, but haven't read Sovereign yet..."

Sequels are perfect for doing Buddy-reads, especially if we've done the first book as a BotM. We did Honestly Ben as a BR one month after its release since Openly Straight was so popular; a lot of us had problems not reading ahead and spoiling everything once the BR thread opened.


message 11: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Rez wrote: "Iamshadow wrote: "Good to know! On the subject of nominiation, what's the policy on nomming sequels? I read Dreadnougt some time ago, and I see the comm has read it too, but haven't read Sovereign ..."

Awesome. I have a bunch of library books to read first, but I'm a fast reader, and after that, I'll start a thread! It's been nearly a year since the Dreadnought read, so hopefully people are ready for the sequel and can get hold of it easily.


message 13: by Whitetiger01 (last edited Mar 29, 2018 09:22PM) (new)

Whitetiger01 | 15 comments I just joined this group last week, if I'm not wrong? So I'm sorry if I did something wrong. However, since I'm here I want to nominate a special book that changes my life. I want to nominate Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. I think the book is wonderful.

The book tells about the life of Aristotle who tried to get to know more of his older brother, who was in prison, from his parents. However, his parents always refused to tell Ari about him. It was like they were trying to erase his brother from their memory. Then, he met Dante who just moved to the neighbourhood where Ari lived. Together, they tried to fill each other's differences and became best friends. However, Ari realised that Dante was special. He was not like the others. There was something about Dante that made Ari wanted to be closer to him.

This is my own summary about this book but if you want to read the real synopsis of the book, you can check it out as well. I think you will get better idea by reading the official synopsis of the book. I just loved this book and I remembered I cried after I read this. It was really deep and it made me realised that life can be enjoyable by doing simple things.


Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 337 comments Angel wrote: "I just joined this group last week, if I'm not wrong? So I'm sorry if I did something wrong. However, since I'm here I want to nominate a special book that changes my life. I want to nominate [book..."

This is a fantastic book. Looks like it was already BotM a few years back though:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...


message 15: by Whitetiger01 (new)

Whitetiger01 | 15 comments Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "Angel wrote: "I just joined this group last week, if I'm not wrong? So I'm sorry if I did something wrong. However, since I'm here I want to nominate a special book that changes my life. I want to ..."

Oopss.. Sorry. The book is really awesome so I expect this to happen. thanks for the remainder though. I'll find another book to nominate then.


message 16: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Iamshadow wrote: "Kaje wrote: "I'll add both of those. Renominating is always fine (they're both on my TBRs too.)"

Good to know! On the subject of nominiation, what's the policy on nomming sequels? I read Dreadnoug..."


We try not to nominate sequels for BotM unless they stand alone. What I'd recommend for that one would be to set up a Buddy Read (or I can just do it.) Yeah, I loved the first one and the second is definitely on my TBRs. It would be fun. You can go ahead (instructions are in the Buddy Read thread) or let me know if you want me to set it up.


message 17: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Rez wrote: "I want to try nominating a graphic novel, see if I have better luck this time.

Off*Beat Volume 1 by Jen Lee QuickJen Lee Quick's Off*Beat Volume 1.

It is availabl..."


Fun choice! And free is always good :)


message 18: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments leah wrote: "i nominate: Jaya and Rasa: A Love Story, Hurricane Child, and Goldie Vance Volume 1"

We have 2 nominations max per member - would you like to pick two of these three for this month? Otherwise I'll take the first 2.


message 19: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Angel wrote: "Oopss.. Sorry. The book is really awesome so I expect this to happen. thanks for the remainder though. I'll find another book to nominate then. ..."

That was such an amazing story. I'm looking forward to the sequel, but also wondering if it can possibly be as good...


message 20: by Whitetiger01 (new)

Whitetiger01 | 15 comments Kaje wrote: "Angel wrote: "Oopss.. Sorry. The book is really awesome so I expect this to happen. thanks for the remainder though. I'll find another book to nominate then. ..."

That was such an amazing story. I..."


Yeah, I'm waiting for it too. The title is "There Will be Other Summers", right? I've been checking when it will be published for so long but there is no update yet. I heard it'll be published this year.


message 21: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 583 comments Kaje wrote: "That was such an amazing story. I'm looking forward to the sequel, but also wondering if it can possibly be as good..."

Saenz is well past sophomore slump territory, and I even consider Inexplicable Logic to be better than Ari & Dante, so I'm confident it will be within a half-star comparative quality wise.


message 22: by Donna (new)

Donna | 4 comments Kaje wrote: "leah wrote: "i nominate: Jaya and Rasa: A Love Story, Hurricane Child, and Goldie Vance Volume 1"

We have 2 nominations max per member - would you l..."


Since this group is for young adult literature, you may want to remove Hurricane Child from this list. It's a middle grades novel. It's a wonderful book, and I recommend reading it. I'm just not sure it should be included unless this group chooses to focus on middle grades texts in addition to young adult.


message 23: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 583 comments Donna wrote: "I'm just not sure it should be included unless this group chooses to focus on middle grades texts in addition to young adult. "

Middle-grade is fine to nominate, it just isn't the main attraction of the group, so the chances of it being voted as BotM are lower. We've actually done a couple middle-grade before (I think The Misfits was one of them) as Book of the Month.


message 24: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments If Leah doesn't make her own pick, I may do it that way. We look at some middle grade books, but not often.


message 25: by Donna (last edited Mar 31, 2018 10:05AM) (new)

Donna | 4 comments Rez wrote: "Middle-grade is fine to nominate, it just isn't the main attraction of the group..."
Thanks for letting me know! I'll be sure to include some middle grades books in my nominations now, such as The Pants Project by Cat Clarke since my expertise is in children's literature. I enjoy reading YA lit as well. I'd like to nominate a YA book as well Fire Song by Adam Garnet Jones . I have not read a book with an indigenous LGBTQ+ character before, so this is one I am eager to read.


message 26: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Looks like we have 9 nominations so far - closes tonight, poll up tomorrow. Remember you can renominate next month, if your choice doesn't win. You can also start a Buddy Read thread for any book, including sequels. Some get a lot of readers, some not, but worth a try.


message 27: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Nominations closed - Poll will go up tomorrow.


message 28: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Poll is up here - vote through April 5 - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...


back to top