Start by marking “Goldie Vance Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Goldie Vance Vol. 1

Goldie Vance Vol. 1 (Goldie Vance #1-4)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  2,009 Ratings  ·  446 Reviews
GOLDIE VANCE IS ON THE CASE

Sixteen-year-old Marigold "Goldie" Vance has an insatiable curiosity. She lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the place, and it's her dream to one day be the hotel's in-house detective. When Walter, the current detective, encounters a case he can't crack, together they utilize her smarts, skills, and connections to solve the myste
Published October 11th 2016 by BOOM! Box (first published April 13th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Goldie Vance Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldie Vance Vol. 1

Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Excuse me, where has this fabulous retro queer woc detective been all my life???? Everything about this is a win. The art style is bright and fun, the storyline walks just the right side of ridiculous, and it stars a 16 year old girl who kicks ass, solves mysteries, and falls for a sometimes-record salesperson/sometimes-actress girl named Diane. There's also street racing and hotel shenanigans and like.... this was perfection. I'm going to pick up volume 2 as soon as I can possibly get to the li ...more
Sonia
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017, comics
I don't know how to rate this book. Because I really enjoyed like 90% of it, but there was one thing in it that made me REALLY UPSET. Like, sick to my stomach upset. My first instinct was to give it a 4 because so much of it is good and cute and i want to be "fair" or whatever, but it's been 30 minutes since I finished it and I'm still really upset. So. Let me talk a little bit about why. Content warning for Nazis under the spoiler tag

(view spoiler)
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Everyone's cute, Goldie is cutest. Everyone's cool, Diane is coolest.
Melki
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
While I loved Larson's Compass South, this one barely earned a third star from me.

The story: Goldie is a young teen who yearns to be a detective at the Florida hotel managed by her dad. She gets her chance to solve a big-time mystery when it seems that all manner of skeevy weirdos want to get their hands on a cheap, crappy necklace stolen from the resort.

It was all a little too far-fetched for me. The whole premise was hard to swallow, plus, good girl Goldie seems awfully adept at not only ste
Kate (GirlReading)
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so freaking cute!
Goldie is totally kickass and smart and I adore her and I want to steal Diane’s wardrobe. She reminded me of Rizzo from Grease and I’m all for whatever is happening between these two. I’m completely obsessed with the art style, with this bright colour scheme and 60’s setting making it all more fun. I have a feeling I’m going to become very attached to this series, its unique plot and wonderful characters. I mean, seriously, who doesn’t love a retro detective series, se
Erica
Oh, goodness gracious. This is ridiculously adorable and full of good, clean fun.

photo Goldie Vance_zpsi6h84vdy.jpg

After all my bitching about Princeless, Vol. 1: Save Yourself and Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery, after my terrible disappointment in Unstoppable Octobia May, this comes along and redeems everything!

Ok, so, the actual story is worth four stars but with the candy-cute art, the teeny-bopper fun of it all, the fast-paced black-belt action that still contains a plot, this puppy deserves one more star.
Pretty muc
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Goldie Vance is a bit of a Nancy-Drew type. Not my thing - until you put it in graphic novel form. Graphic novels are just the kind of thing to turn my brain off.

The first thing I want to say is that this is one of the best-drawn graphic novels I have read. I have read a lot of YA graphic novels with fairly half-assed art styles, or styles I found too colorful and cheesy. There's a line, you know? After a while, all those colors get annoying. But this one is nothing of that sort.

The plot here i
Danika at The Lesbrary
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was cute! I was thinking it was going to be a little less international intrigue, but I still liked it. And apparently I'm still at the point where I think "Is she gay?? She couldn't possibly be. That's too good to be true. I mean, she is admiring this girl through the window, and then in the next panel there are just three repeating thought bubbles of her imagining this girl smiling at her. And she blushes when she sees her. And they hold hands. But that couldn't possibly be actual queer t ...more
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Goldie Vance is the new Nancy Drew in my life and I absolutely adore her and the crew of the Crossed Palms hotel! More mysteries, please!
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
I figured I'd play catch up on my past comics purchases since my beloved IR romance genre (save for a few notable exceptions) is boring the fuck out of me. I'd grabbed Goldie Vance #1 just because the cover looked awesome.

I grew up with Nancy Drew and this story brought a huge smile to my face as it took me back to my childhood, thrilled to the adventures of the intrepid girl detective. And Marigold (aka Goldie) is definitely heir to Miss Drew's throne. Spunky? Yes. Intrepid? Yes. A tendency to
Rena
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
An adventure-filled comic about a girl detective and a female-centered romance? I'll take more, please?
Kristina
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the 1960s setting and how old school everything was. It reminded me a lot of the Nancy Drew series but Goldie is so much cooler and quirkier!
Devann
This was a fun read but there's just something missing that makes it a 3 star book instead of a 4. The story, art, and characters are all cute but it definitely felt a bit contrived at times and I guess like it was maybe trying a bit too hard to be so quirky. Still, I enjoyed it and I'll definitely check out the next volume to see if things maybe pick up a bit.
Maggie Gordon
Oh, this book was just delightful! It's a Nancy Drew for the modern age, with wonderfully diverse characters, lots of humour, and an exciting mystery! It is aimed at younger readers, so the plot is relatively simple and moves fast. But it's a great read for the younger crowd, and it is filled with some fantastic, vibrant, retro art! (Though perhaps it is important to ensure that the younger ones know that you just cannot steal cars even if your reason is thwarting evil international spies)
David Schaafsma
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
First Nancy Drew, then Harriet the Spy, and now this, for tweens, mainly. Goldie wants to be her dad's hotel detective, and she gets the chance! Eisner Award-winning writer Hope Larson (A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel) and artist Brittney Williams (Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat!) with a new whodunnit that kids will like a lot, I think.
Angie
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
01: A biracial lesbian lead.
02: TONS of POC side/background characters.
03: A whizz-bang James Bond-esque plot.
04: The mystery-solving sensibilities of Nancy Drew.
05: Greaser/Surfer aesthetics of the 50's.
06: Super capable ladies, while some of the guys are damsels in distress.

Add it all up and I think I've found my new fave lady sleuth series. WHAT A CHARMER.
Deera
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Think Nancy Drew but bi-racial and queer. Goldie is fantastic. I'm in the middle of a reading slump and comics are all I can manage. This gave me all the warm fuzzies. I was like Jessica Fletcher in that gif where she's eating popcorn the whole time.
Elysia
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Stefani Sloma
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, diverse, retro. Looking forward to reading more!
Darinda
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goldie Vance is a teenager who works at a Florida resort that her father manages. She dreams of becoming the hotel's in-house detective, and helps the current detective on cases.

A fun, retro teen sleuth story. Lots of diversity, and done in a low-key way... it's there, but not the focus of the story. Well done.

Volume 1 includes the first four comics in the series.
#1 - Goldie works the case of a hotel guest's missing necklace.
#2 - The hotel guest who reported the missing necklace is now missing
Nicole Lynn Hoefs
This was a little out there in some aspects, but I enjoyed it a lot. I was never really into Nancy Drew, or the Hardy Boys, growing up, but sometimes a nice mystery is just what I need. Goldie is a great main character, and I really like the supporting cast as well. I can't wait to see more from this group! In fact, I reserved the next couple volumes to read ASAP. I'm giving this 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Sydney ✨
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was awesome. It was like some intense Nancy Drew, but better. I love Goldie because she does things for the ones she loves and fights to find the answers. I just loved the cute plot line and really hope I can continue on with this series. Plus there is a set up for some female/female romance which is everything.
ashley (saidthestory)
This was a very fun Nancy Drew-esque story. I adored reading it. There were a few elements I felt were pushed or underdeveloped, but I will definitely keep reading!
Cassie Stever
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was great! it took a direction i didn’t expect, but it’s okay because i loved that it did. can’t wait to read the next one. :)
Alexa
I want to give this 10 out of 5 stars.

This was fun, exciting, and wonderfully queer, with beautiful art. I can't wait to read Volume 2, but I'm really tired so probably not tonight.
Nightlizard
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
*Digital review copy provided by NetGalley & the publisher in exchange for an honest review or rating.
3.65

This graphic novel was a pleasant surprise; meaning, I didn't expect to enjoy it that much but I did. It's a nice story featuring diverse characters.
The whole mystery itself was a bit of a letdown for me, but I am a huge fan of this artist's style of drawing!
This story is pretty much somehow a mix-up of Nancy Drew and Veronica Mars and I did enjoy it.

Have some complaints - SPOILER -
Claire
I love when trade editions arrive so I can read them all over again and then squee about them on goodreads!

There is nothing not to love about Goldie Vance. It's action packed and completely great. A lot of the press leading up to the single-issue releases was like, "Nancy Drew but in FL in the 60s!" but truly, that sells it so short there's basically no comparison. It's like Nancy Drew but in FL in the 60s and COMPLETELY BADASS and funny and cute as heck and filled with POC and queer characters
jess
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like graphic novels, young adult fiction, Hope Larson's amazing body of work, young people, young women, young black people, and especially young black women and girls, read this book. If you care about young queer people, especially young black or biracial queer women, read this book. If you ever watched Veronica Mars, read Nancy Drew, or if you ever enjoyed an action movie, read this book.

Kerry Washington and Rashida Jones are making this book into a movie. Doesn't that get your attent
Mainon
Love. Goldie Vance is a feisty 16-year-old amateur detective whose character is clearly inspired by Nancy Drew: #1-64. The art is bright and clearly drawn in large panels, making it easy and fun to read.

Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys Lumberjanes or The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.
Sunny
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Queer black girl detective? What's not to love?
Around the Year i...: Goldie Vance, by Hope Larson 1 10 Mar 06, 2017 12:20PM
Hope Larson is an American illustrator and comics artist. She lives in Asheville, North Carolina.
More about Hope Larson

Goldie Vance (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Goldie Vance #1 (Goldie Vance, #1)
  • Goldie Vance #2 (Goldie Vance, #2)
  • Goldie Vance #3 (Goldie Vance, #3)
  • Goldie Vance #4 (Goldie Vance, #4)
  • Goldie Vance #5 (Goldie Vance, #5)
  • Goldie Vance #6
  • Goldie Vance #7
  • Goldie Vance #8 (Goldie Vance, #8)
  • Goldie Vance #9 (Goldie Vance, #9)
  • Goldie Vance #10 (Goldie Vance, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)