Start by marking “Goldie Vance Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Goldie Vance Vol. 1

Goldie Vance Vol. 1

(Goldie Vance #1-4)

GOLDIE VANCE IS ON THE CASE

Sixteen-year-old Marigold "Goldie" Vance has an insatiable curiosity. She lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the place, and it's her dream to one day be the hotel's in-house detective. When Walter, the current detective, encounters a case he can't crack, together they utilize her smarts, skills, and connections to solve the myste
Published October 11th 2016 by BOOM! Box (first published April 13th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Goldie Vance Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldie Vance Vol. 1

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Wow hi I just found my new favorite graphic novel series? SO DANG CUTE I CAN’T
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Excuse me, where has this fabulous retro queer woc detective been all my life???? Everything about this is a win. The art style is bright and fun, the storyline walks just the right side of ridiculous, and it stars a 16 year old girl who kicks ass, solves mysteries, and falls for a sometimes-record salesperson/sometimes-actress girl named Diane. There's also street racing and hotel shenanigans and like.... this was perfection. I'm going to pick up volume 2 as soon as I can possibly get to the li ...more
Sonia
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017, comics
I don't know how to rate this book. Because I really enjoyed like 90% of it, but there was one thing in it that made me REALLY UPSET. Like, sick to my stomach upset. My first instinct was to give it a 4 because so much of it is good and cute and i want to be "fair" or whatever, but it's been 30 minutes since I finished it and I'm still really upset. So. Let me talk a little bit about why. Content warning for Nazis under the spoiler tag

(view spoiler)
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Everyone's cute, Goldie is cutest. Everyone's cool, Diane is coolest.
Melki
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
While I loved Larson's Compass South, this one barely earned a third star from me.

The story: Goldie is a young teen who yearns to be a detective at the Florida hotel managed by her dad. She gets her chance to solve a big-time mystery when it seems that all manner of skeevy weirdos want to get their hands on a cheap, crappy necklace stolen from the resort.

It was all a little too far-fetched for me. The whole premise was hard to swallow, plus, good girl Goldie seems awfully adept at not only ste
Joce (squibblesreads)
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bless this series! Our protagonist is Goldie Vance, a biracial 16 year old girl who works as a valet at a resort hotel. In this volume, she is drawn sharing a mutual crush with another girl but does not state how she identifies. She moonlights as the on site detective and is hella smart. She has a vast knowledge of cars and driving from her valet job and also races for fun/“business” (to hold leverage for some of the cases she’s trying to solve). Her parents are divorced or separated but amicabl ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so freaking cute!
Goldie is totally kickass and smart and I adore her and I want to steal Diane’s wardrobe. She reminded me of Rizzo from Grease and I’m all for whatever is happening between these two. I’m completely obsessed with the art style, with this bright colour scheme and 60’s setting making it all more fun. I have a feeling I’m going to become very attached to this series, its unique plot and wonderful characters. I mean, seriously, who doesn’t love a retro detective series, se
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
This was a fun comic to read! Set in Florida, a girl called Goldie and her Dad work at a resort together. But Goldie has a passion for solving mysteries. Perfect for fans of Nancy Drew! The illustrations were colourful, expressive and displayed well. A series I will be continuing.
Erica
Oh, goodness gracious. This is ridiculously adorable and full of good, clean fun.

photo Goldie Vance_zpsi6h84vdy.jpg

After all my bitching about Princeless, Vol. 1: Save Yourself and Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery, after my terrible disappointment in Unstoppable Octobia May, this comes along and redeems everything!

Ok, so, the actual story is worth four stars but with the candy-cute art, the teeny-bopper fun of it all, the fast-paced black-belt action that still contains a plot, this puppy deserves one more star.
Pretty muc
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Goldie Vance is a bit of a Nancy-Drew type. Not my thing - until you put it in graphic novel form. Graphic novels are just the kind of thing to turn my brain off.

The first thing I want to say is that this is one of the best-drawn graphic novels I have read. I have read a lot of YA graphic novels with fairly half-assed art styles, or styles I found too colorful and cheesy. There's a line, you know? After a while, all those colors get annoying. But this one is nothing of that sort.

The plot here i
Danika at The Lesbrary
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was cute! I was thinking it was going to be a little less international intrigue, but I still liked it. And apparently I'm still at the point where I think "Is she gay?? She couldn't possibly be. That's too good to be true. I mean, she is admiring this girl through the window, and then in the next panel there are just three repeating thought bubbles of her imagining this girl smiling at her. And she blushes when she sees her. And they hold hands. But that couldn't possibly be actual queer t ...more
Maddie
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Goldie Vance is the new Nancy Drew in my life and I absolutely adore her and the crew of the Crossed Palms hotel! More mysteries, please!
Rena
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
An adventure-filled comic about a girl detective and a female-centered romance? I'll take more, please?
Ioanna ms
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
so cute❤
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
I figured I'd play catch up on my past comics purchases since my beloved IR romance genre (save for a few notable exceptions) is boring the fuck out of me. I'd grabbed Goldie Vance #1 just because the cover looked awesome.

I grew up with Nancy Drew and this story brought a huge smile to my face as it took me back to my childhood, thrilled to the adventures of the intrepid girl detective. And Marigold (aka Goldie) is definitely heir to Miss Drew's throne. Spunky? Yes. Intrepid? Yes. A tendency to
Lata
Despite the question in my mind about the wartime sympathies of the German scientist who has lost a necklace at the hotel where Goldie Vance and her father work, this story is fast-moving and frankly fun. Fun because of Goldie, who has such verve and energy. And her relationships with much of the staff help her find all sorts of lost items for hotel guests, when she's not doing her actual job as parking valet.
The colours in each panel are bright and the drawings convey movement and energy. The p
ellie
that was so wholesome and soft that it’s basically a graphic novel of pure sweet things
Maggie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a 3 star read for me.
While the art style of this graphic novel is amazing the story didn't blow me away.
Will possibly give the next volume a try.
Kristina
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the 1960s setting and how old school everything was. It reminded me a lot of the Nancy Drew series but Goldie is so much cooler and quirkier!
Devann
This was a fun read but there's just something missing that makes it a 3 star book instead of a 4. The story, art, and characters are all cute but it definitely felt a bit contrived at times and I guess like it was maybe trying a bit too hard to be so quirky. Still, I enjoyed it and I'll definitely check out the next volume to see if things maybe pick up a bit.
Maggie Gordon
Oh, this book was just delightful! It's a Nancy Drew for the modern age, with wonderfully diverse characters, lots of humour, and an exciting mystery! It is aimed at younger readers, so the plot is relatively simple and moves fast. But it's a great read for the younger crowd, and it is filled with some fantastic, vibrant, retro art! (Though perhaps it is important to ensure that the younger ones know that you just cannot steal cars even if your reason is thwarting evil international spies)
David Schaafsma
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
First Nancy Drew, then Harriet the Spy, and now this, for tweens, mainly. Goldie wants to be her dad's hotel detective, and she gets the chance! Eisner Award-winning writer Hope Larson (A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel) and artist Brittney Williams (Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat!) with a new whodunnit that kids will like a lot, I think.
Angie
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
01: A biracial lesbian lead.
02: TONS of POC side/background characters.
03: A whizz-bang James Bond-esque plot.
04: The mystery-solving sensibilities of Nancy Drew.
05: Greaser/Surfer aesthetics of the 50's.
06: Super capable ladies, while some of the guys are damsels in distress.

Add it all up and I think I've found my new fave lady sleuth series. WHAT A CHARMER.
Deera
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Think Nancy Drew but bi-racial and queer. Goldie is fantastic. I'm in the middle of a reading slump and comics are all I can manage. This gave me all the warm fuzzies. I was like Jessica Fletcher in that gif where she's eating popcorn the whole time.
Cassie Stever
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was great! it took a direction i didn’t expect, but it’s okay because i loved that it did. can’t wait to read the next one. :)
Elysia
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, owned
3.5
Stefani Sloma
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, diverse, retro. Looking forward to reading more!
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Teen sleuth Goldie Vance is on the case—when she's not parking cars at the hotel her father manages for mean Mr. Maple.

But when a German guest loses his priceless necklace, all hell breaks loose.

Can Goldie find the necklace? And what does Mr. Ludwig have to do with the Russians anyhow?

I really, really enjoyed this alternate version of 1960s Florida. It has diversity in spades, with some LGBT representation in a possible crush/romance between Goldie and Diane, a heroine who's bright and spunky, i
Darinda
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goldie Vance is a teenager who works at a Florida resort that her father manages. She dreams of becoming the hotel's in-house detective, and helps the current detective on cases.

A fun, retro teen sleuth story. Lots of diversity, and done in a low-key way... it's there, but not the focus of the story. Well done.

Volume 1 includes the first four comics in the series.
#1 - Goldie works the case of a hotel guest's missing necklace.
#2 - The hotel guest who reported the missing necklace is now missing
Paz R.M.
"I'm running on premium parental disappointment an' eight cylinders of nothing to lose!"

Fun story, lovely artwork.
Set in the 60s, a fictionalized, much happier 60s, Goldie Vance works as a valet in a hotel managed by his dad. Thing is, what she really wants to do is work as the in-house detective aaaand she has the skills and the curiosity.

It's really a story for kids, but it was a fun time nonetheless, although my cynical side did roll my eyes a bit with the 'out of this world' kind of endi
Around the Year i...: Goldie Vance, by Hope Larson 1 10 Mar 06, 2017 12:20PM
Hope Larson is an American illustrator and comics artist. Hope Larson is the author of Salamander Dream, Gray Horses, Chiggers, and Mercury. She won a 2007 Eisner Award. She lives in Los Angeles, California.

Goldie Vance (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Goldie Vance #1 (Goldie Vance, #1)
  • Goldie Vance #2 (Goldie Vance, #2)
  • Goldie Vance #3 (Goldie Vance, #3)
  • Goldie Vance #4 (Goldie Vance, #4)
  • Goldie Vance #5 (Goldie Vance, #5)
  • Goldie Vance #6
  • Goldie Vance #7
  • Goldie Vance #8 (Goldie Vance, #8)
  • Goldie Vance #9 (Goldie Vance, #9)
  • Goldie Vance #10 (Goldie Vance, #10)