Start by marking “Goldie Vance Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Goldie Vance Vol. 1

Goldie Vance Vol. 1

(Goldie Vance #1-4)

GOLDIE VANCE IS ON THE CASE

Sixteen-year-old Marigold "Goldie" Vance has an insatiable curiosity. She lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the place, and it's her dream to one day be the hotel's in-house detective. When Walter, the current detective, encounters a case he can't crack, together they utilize her smarts, skills, and connections to solve the myste
Published October 11th 2016 by BOOM! Box (first published April 13th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Goldie Vance Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldie Vance Vol. 1

Start your review of Goldie Vance Vol. 1
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, queer
Wow hi I just found my new favorite graphic novel series? SO DANG CUTE I CAN’T
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Excuse me, where has this fabulous retro queer woc detective been all my life???? Everything about this is a win. The art style is bright and fun, the storyline walks just the right side of ridiculous, and it stars a 16 year old girl who kicks ass, solves mysteries, and falls for a sometimes-record salesperson/sometimes-actress girl named Diane. There's also street racing and hotel shenanigans and like.... this was perfection. I'm going to pick up volume 2 as soon as I can possibly get to the li ...more
Sonia
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017, comics
I don't know how to rate this book. Because I really enjoyed like 90% of it, but there was one thing in it that made me REALLY UPSET. Like, sick to my stomach upset. My first instinct was to give it a 4 because so much of it is good and cute and i want to be "fair" or whatever, but it's been 30 minutes since I finished it and I'm still really upset. So. Let me talk a little bit about why. Content warning for Nazis under the spoiler tag

(view spoiler)
Calista
This is wonderful. The Nancy Drew Archetype has once again been invigorated and updated for a new generation. This is spunky and fun and colorful and in all ways fabulous. The mysteries are overly complicated, but they are still enjoyable to see solved.

I love the energy and the spirit of Goldie and her crew. I love the set-up. She works and lives at a hotel and she is the house detective, unoffically, while the real detective isn't very good at this.

I can't wait to read the next one!
Bee
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Everyone's cute, Goldie is cutest. Everyone's cool, Diane is coolest.
Melki
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
While I loved Larson's Compass South, this one barely earned a third star from me.

The story: Goldie is a young teen who yearns to be a detective at the Florida hotel managed by her dad. She gets her chance to solve a big-time mystery when it seems that all manner of skeevy weirdos want to get their hands on a cheap, crappy necklace stolen from the resort.

It was all a little too far-fetched for me. The whole premise was hard to swallow, plus, good girl Goldie seems awfully adept at not only ste
Joce (squibblesreads)
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bless this series! Our protagonist is Goldie Vance, a biracial 16 year old girl who works as a valet at a resort hotel. In this volume, she is drawn sharing a mutual crush with another girl but does not state how she identifies. She moonlights as the on site detective and is hella smart. She has a vast knowledge of cars and driving from her valet job and also races for fun/“business” (to hold leverage for some of the cases she’s trying to solve). Her parents are divorced or separated but amicabl ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
This was so freaking cute!
Goldie is totally kickass and smart and I adore her and I want to steal Diane’s wardrobe. She reminded me of Rizzo from Grease and I’m all for whatever is happening between these two. I’m completely obsessed with the art style, with this bright colour scheme and 60’s setting making it all more fun. I have a feeling I’m going to become very attached to this series, its unique plot and wonderful characters. I mean, seriously, who doesn’t love a retro detective series, se
Chad
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very fun book for tweens and up. The art and style is fantastic. The plot feels contrived, but overall a fun, fast-paced book.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was so gorgeous and sweet! I'll be honest, I'm not big on kid or teen detective plotlines, so the story was a little out of my usual tastes, but the art was so pretty and the characters were so lovable, I still enjoyed it a lot and would definitely continue the series. I especially dug how fantastically diverse the character cast was, and that little beginning of a romance at the end was adorable! ♥
Erica
Oh, goodness gracious. This is ridiculously adorable and full of good, clean fun.

photo Goldie Vance_zpsi6h84vdy.jpg

After all my bitching about Princeless, Vol. 1: Save Yourself and Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery, after my terrible disappointment in Unstoppable Octobia May, this comes along and redeems everything!

Ok, so, the actual story is worth four stars but with the candy-cute art, the teeny-bopper fun of it all, the fast-paced black-belt action that still contains a plot, this puppy deserves one more star.
Pretty much
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Goldie Vance is a bit of a Nancy-Drew type. Not my thing - until you put it in graphic novel form. Graphic novels are just the kind of thing to turn my brain off.

The first thing I want to say is that this is one of the best-drawn graphic novels I have read. I have read a lot of YA graphic novels with fairly half-assed art styles, or styles I found too colorful and cheesy. There's a line, you know? After a while, all those colors get annoying. But this one is nothing of that sort.

The plot here i
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
This was a fun comic to read! Set in Florida, a girl called Goldie and her Dad work at a resort together. But Goldie has a passion for solving mysteries. Perfect for fans of Nancy Drew! The illustrations were colourful, expressive and displayed well. A series I will be continuing.
Danika at The Lesbrary
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was cute! I was thinking it was going to be a little less international intrigue, but I still liked it. And apparently I'm still at the point where I think "Is she gay?? She couldn't possibly be. That's too good to be true. I mean, she is admiring this girl through the window, and then in the next panel there are just three repeating thought bubbles of her imagining this girl smiling at her. And she blushes when she sees her. And they hold hands. But that couldn't possibly be actual queer t ...more
Maddie
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Goldie Vance is the new Nancy Drew in my life and I absolutely adore her and the crew of the Crossed Palms hotel! More mysteries, please!
Ioanna ms✨조
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
so cute❤
Emma
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is so cute. Goldie is a sweet girl who works in a resort with her father and her friends. She's got a passion for mysteries and that's why she helps the resort detective solve cases for the guests. Goldie also has a crush on Diane, a girl who works in a record store. I mean, could you ask for more? It's a nice concept and it is very well done. I can't wait to read the second volume!
Rena
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
An adventure-filled comic about a girl detective and a female-centered romance? I'll take more, please?
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
I figured I'd play catch up on my past comics purchases since my beloved IR romance genre (save for a few notable exceptions) is boring the fuck out of me. I'd grabbed Goldie Vance #1 just because the cover looked awesome.

I grew up with Nancy Drew and this story brought a huge smile to my face as it took me back to my childhood, thrilled to the adventures of the intrepid girl detective. And Marigold (aka Goldie) is definitely heir to Miss Drew's throne. Spunky? Yes. Intrepid? Yes. A tendency to
ellie
that was so wholesome and soft that it’s basically a graphic novel of pure sweet things
Eleni Ouzouni (Life is Art)
3.5/⭐

Cute, funny, beautiful sketches!
Briar's Reviews
Goldie Vance is a sweet graphic novel that gives me old school Nancy Drew vibes.

I love a fun graphic novel, especially one with lots of spunk like this one! Goldie lives in her Father's resort, and she's great at getting into shenanigans. She's really good at solving tiny cases, like missing jewelry within the hotel. When a bigger mystery comes about, she decides to help a detective solve it since her curiosity is just too high!

Goldie is spunky and fun, everything you want in a character like t
Lata
Despite the question in my mind about the wartime sympathies of the German scientist who has lost a necklace at the hotel where Goldie Vance and her father work, this story is fast-moving and frankly fun. Fun because of Goldie, who has such verve and energy. And her relationships with much of the staff help her find all sorts of lost items for hotel guests, when she's not doing her actual job as parking valet.
The colours in each panel are bright and the drawings convey movement and energy. The p
David Schaafsma
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
First Nancy Drew, then Harriet the Spy, and now this, for tweens, mainly. Goldie wants to be her dad's hotel detective, and she gets the chance! Eisner Award-winning writer Hope Larson (A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel) and artist Brittney Williams (Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat!) with a new whodunnit that kids will like a lot, I think.
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: mixed-race Black sapphic mc, Black characters, sapphic li

finally some good food!!! if u want a 'john travolta in greese'-esque love interest but gay, look no further!! but also, it's just THE cutest shit ever and such a wild ride from start to finish!
Kristina
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the 1960s setting and how old school everything was. It reminded me a lot of the Nancy Drew series but Goldie is so much cooler and quirkier!
Cassie
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was great! it took a direction i didn’t expect, but it’s okay because i loved that it did. can’t wait to read the next one. :)
Maggie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a 3 star read for me.
While the art style of this graphic novel is amazing the story didn't blow me away.
Will possibly give the next volume a try.
Maggie Gordon
Oh, this book was just delightful! It's a Nancy Drew for the modern age, with wonderfully diverse characters, lots of humour, and an exciting mystery! It is aimed at younger readers, so the plot is relatively simple and moves fast. But it's a great read for the younger crowd, and it is filled with some fantastic, vibrant, retro art! (Though perhaps it is important to ensure that the younger ones know that you just cannot steal cars even if your reason is thwarting evil international spies)
Melania 🍒
2,9/3

|| The read harder challenge 2018 - A mystery by a person of color or a LGBTQ+ author ||

(I know it isn’t a novel but I really wanted to finish the Read Harder Challenge 😅)
Around the Year i...: Goldie Vance, by Hope Larson 1 12 Mar 06, 2017 12:20PM

• The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio
  • Misfit City Vol. 1
  • Giant Days, Vol. 3 (Giant Days, #3)
  • Jonesy, Vol. 1
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Giant Days, Vol. 1 (Giant Days, #1)
  • SLAM! Vol. 1
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2
  • Out of Time (Lumberjanes, Vol. 4)
  • Ghosted in L.A., Vol. 1
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 2 (Giant Days, #2)
  • Band Together (Lumberjanes, Vol. 5)
  • A Bird's-Eye View (Lumberjanes, Vol. 7)
  • Friendship to the Max (Lumberjanes, Vol. 2)
  • Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)
Hope Larson is an American illustrator and comics artist. Hope Larson is the author of Salamander Dream, Gray Horses, Chiggers, and Mercury. She won a 2007 Eisner Award. She lives in Los Angeles, California.

Goldie Vance (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Goldie Vance #1 (Goldie Vance, #1)
  • Goldie Vance #2 (Goldie Vance, #2)
  • Goldie Vance #3 (Goldie Vance, #3)
  • Goldie Vance #4 (Goldie Vance, #4)
  • Goldie Vance #5 (Goldie Vance, #5)
  • Goldie Vance #6
  • Goldie Vance #7
  • Goldie Vance #8 (Goldie Vance, #8)
  • Goldie Vance #9 (Goldie Vance, #9)
  • Goldie Vance #10 (Goldie Vance, #10)

News & Interviews