YA LGBT Books discussion

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
Book of the Month > 2013 Lambda Award Winner - Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaje Harper | 16367 comments This month, the book that came second in our poll for our Book of the Month read, was selected the Lambda Literary Award winner for LGBT children's/young adult fiction.

Since our first place book is a short one, I thought we could also have a thread to discuss this winning story.

This thread is for the discussion of Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Feel free to discuss the book or related topics and post reviews. This thread may contain spoilers, so if you haven't read the book yet, proceed at your own risk. I look forward to discussing this with the group.

Thomas | 2 comments This is one of my favorite books, I'm so glad this group is reading it!

message 3: by Kaje (last edited Jun 10, 2013 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16367 comments It's probably next up for me, although I've been spoiled by the prices of M/M romance. The Nook book charge is steep. I'll check my library, since there is a hardcover version. With the Lambda win, this may be a bit more in demand right now.

ETA: Yay, got a hold on the one remaining not-checked out copy :)

Alice | 3 comments This is so good. Its one of my favorites, but it is so overpriced. The ebook is over $10.

Kaje Harper | 16367 comments Yeah, I get a shock when I buy mainstream ebooks - often $8-14 when I'm used to $4-8; Thank goodness for my beloved public library.

message 6: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 166 comments Alice wrote: "This is so good. Its one of my favorites, but it is so overpriced. The ebook is over $10."

That's ridiculous!! I have trouble paying for something $3-4!! lol

Alice | 3 comments I know right!? It annoys me that so many people wont read this amazing book because the publisher is charging a ridiculous price.

Edwin (edwinrodarte) | 19 comments This is an amazing coming of age story. I fell in love with both of the main characters, their story and their progress throughout life. The book contains humor, wit, and an ease to reading it, it was hard putting it down. I work as a YA librarian so I made sure we had this for my teens to checkout, it is such a wonderful story and although the LGBT theme is not evident throughout most of the book, the impact and message is strong enough.

Lindie (lindiedb) | 5 comments Oh wow, this is easily my most favorite of all the books I read this year. It's so raw and beautiful and honest and hopeful and heartbreaking and and and...

I wish every book I read could be like this. I felt so many things I didn't even know if I wanted to laugh or cry.

In fact, I loved it so much, I am willing to buy someone a copy so they can read it as well. If you know of anyone who hasn't gotten it yet due to the price, feel free to send them my way: http://www.lindiedagenhart.com/audiob...

message 10: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16367 comments That's a very generous offer, and it's cool that you liked it that much!

I have it from the library - reading now...

Simon (simmy131) | 1 comments Oh my goodness! I read this book I think about a month ago and I loved it. I thought it was beautifully written, especially for a YA book, and I quickly feel in love with both Aristotle and Dante. Coming into it, I only had a handful of books for my basis in YA LGBT books (most of them Alex Sanchez), so I didn't really know what to expect; this has set a new personal standard for these kinds of books and makes me want to go and discover more like it!

Alice | 3 comments ^ I think it will be hard to find more books like this. Imo its in a league of its own when compared to other YA books.

message 13: by Kaje (last edited Jun 27, 2013 04:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16367 comments I loved it - 5 stars from me.

This is a lovely, slowly-unfolding journey into a teen boy's coming of age. The narrator, Aristotle (called Ari), is, as the book opens, a fifteen-year-old Mexican-American teen facing the open, undefined prospect of another summer, on the cusp of leaving boyhood behind.

This story explores Ari's evolution from child to man, through a captivating introspective narrative. It's a story of growth and of love of all kinds, between parents and friends and siblings and maybe-worth-kissing age-mates. It's about figuring out who he is beyond the labels he wears. About dreams, and words spoken and unspoken. About slowly recognizing his parents, and other adults, as more than the roles they play in his life. Ari comes to see the people around him as their own independent individuals, with pasts and dreams and fears and flaws. He finds reasons for things he's accepted unquestioningly, and for things he has railed against without knowing how to change them. The reasons for his father's silences, the pain that makes his older brother's name go unspoken in their house, the different forms of strength and courage, and the joy of sharing the wider world with Dante, his first real friend - these all become part of Ari's understanding over the next year and a half.

This is sweet, realistic and hopeful, as Ari figures out the things that truly matter to him.

message 14: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16367 comments I passed this to my 17-year-old daughter and she loved it too.

message 15: by Eli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eli Easton (elieaston) | 4 comments This looks really good. Thanks for the tip!

message 16: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16367 comments Eli wrote: "This looks really good. Thanks for the tip!"

I hope you like it - I was impressed.