Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2018 Challenge Archive > April Buddy Read Challenge

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Buddy Read Challenge

One of the best things about this group is having other romance readers to chat with about books, since often few (or even none) of our RL friends read the genre...if they read much at all. So, we decided it's time to get some action going in our Buddy Reads folder! The premise is simple...everyone who signs up will be paired with someone with some similar reading preferences. Together you will choose a book that you would like to read and discuss. You will then have a month to read your book and chat about it in a dedicated thread in the Buddy Reads folder. There are no hard rules about how the discussion should progress...you can read at the same pace and discuss as you go or wait until you both finish the book before chatting about it - or some combination of the two.

For those of you who are interested, here are the details:

Sign up in this thread by telling us your first and second favorite romance genres (contemporary/historical/paranormal), and also whether you read exclusively (or almost exclusively) m/m, m/f, or some of both.

Signups close Friday, March 23 at 3 PM EST. Matchups will be posted as soon as possible after signups close - hopefully within an hour or less. If you have not connected with your buddy by March 27, please let me know...either by posting in this thread or by PM. Anyone who hasn't heard from their buddy by then will either be added to one of the other pairs (the more the merrier, right?) or if there are 2 people without buddies who have similar enough interests, they will be paired up.

Plan on reading a Romance novel for this challenge. In order to match people with similar interests, we need to limit this to romance only. The one exception to this is if AFTER you are matched up, you and your partner discover a non-romance title that you both really want to read, that is acceptable. This should be an exception though, rather than a common practice, and you should go into the challenge expecting to read romance.

Connect with your buddy and choose your book. Once the pairings have been posted, find your discussion thread in the Buddy Reads folder. When you have decided on a book, please post your choice here so the name of your thread can be changed to include the title of the book.

You will have the entire month of March to read and discuss your book. When you're all done reading and discussing, please come back here and let us know how it went!

Happy Reading and Chatting!

message 2: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Tips/FAQ

Since this is a new challenge, there will probably be questions that we haven't thought of. As they come up and are answered, I'll copy them below.

Tips for choosing your book:

♥ Check out your buddy's "short list". If your buddy has a shelf designated for the PIFM or M&G challenges, look there to see if you can find something you're interested in reading. Or, if either of you doesn't already have a short list, create one! Give your buddy a list of 10 or so books that you're hoping to read soon to see if they have are interested in any of them.
♥ Consider trying something new and different. If you can quickly find something that you've both really been looking forward to reading, that's great! But if you can't, think about looking for something you've been hearing some buzz about but haven't gotten around to reading, or an author or sub-genre that your buddy enjoys but you've rarely or never read before.
♥ Check Amazon for freebies If you can't find something that you both already have (or that one or both of you are fine with buying), check Amazon for freebies. They generally have quite a selection, a combination of new/indie authors and frequently you can find the first book in a series by an established author.
♥ Consider book length when making your selection This challenge is only one book, but since so many of our members tend to participate in multiple challenges and read a lot of books in a month, you might want to discuss whether or not you want/need to try to find a shorter book to read.
♥ Above all, BE WILLING TO COMPROMISE! You've given a general idea of what you like to read, but within that there is still a wide range of options, so please be flexible. I wouldn't expect someone to read something that is completely outside their comfort zone (like asking someone who doesn't read m/m to read it for this challenge), but conversely, you must be willing to consider books that may not be right at the top of your short list.

FAQ:

message 3: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Mar 30, 2018 10:44PM) (new)

message 4: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments **

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments Me please. MM exclusive reader. Dont mind the genre

message 6: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4088 comments I'm in!

Contemporary please, if unavailable either paranormal or historical will do. Usually m/f, but m/m is fine too.

message 7: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 664 comments I'm in!!!
I mainly read contemporary. My second choice goes to historical.
I read both m/f and m/m :)

message 8: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments I'm in. m/f paranormal & historical

message 9: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11000 comments I'm in!
Mainly contemporary.....m/f and m/m

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I'm in again. My favourite genre is contemporary and these days paranormal. I read both m/f and m/m.

message 11: by Chan (new)

Chan | 3381 comments I want another buddy.
Mainly f/m.
Action, suspense, contemporary, humor. No scary stories

message 12: by Anabella (new)

Anabella  Shay (anabellashay) | 12 comments I'd love to be a part of this. I don't have a shelf at the moment yet, I'd have to look for some books.

I like regular romance, rom-com, paranormal romance, teen romance.

message 13: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19605 comments Me! I read a mix of MF/MM and lately it has been mostly CR, next would probably be PNR but I read HR too.

message 14: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19622 comments I'm in :) MM reader. Any combo this time :)

message 15: by Saint Monique (new)

Saint Monique I pretty much read everything - mostly historicals and contemporary but PNR too. MF, MM, MMF everything is ok :D

message 16: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Mar 22, 2018 06:58AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments I’ve had a great experience with this challenge. So I’m back for more
My favorite genre is contemporary~angst preferred and my second choice is PNR. I read both m/f and m/m.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna (alexandra_tehen) | 23 comments Me, me, me! :) I'm new here so that should be fun
I read mostly MF. I don't care if it's CR, PNR, HR, Teen or whatever, though I want something funny. Not in the mood for drama this month ;)

message 18: by Andra (new)

Andra Nickerson | 14 comments I'm in m\m has been my main reading choice lately but I love contemporary

message 19: by Andra (new)

Andra Nickerson | 14 comments I'm also an audio book fan that's how I read my books so audio books please

message 20: by Marcy (new)

Marcy First challenge ever! :)

Historical, contemporary

No paranormal or scary
Love comedy

Exclusively M/F (Male Female -guessing that’s what that meant)

I do some audio if my library has it (hoopla).

message 21: by Hanne (new)

Hanne | 113 comments I'm in :)
I prefer contemporary, then paranormal
I read almost exclusively m/f, but I also read m/m sometimes

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1381 comments I think I will join.

I read exclusively mf and contemporary or historical is good.

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate | 15 comments I’m in!

I read mostly contemporary romance or romantic comedies. F/M and M/M

message 24: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Wow, it's great to see so many newbies...welcome!!! Signups close in about 90 minutes, then pairings will be up (hopefully) soon after that.

message 25: by Christina (new)

Christina M | 2 comments I'm in! I need a reading buddy. I like steamy contemporary romance books or sports romance

message 26: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Signups are closed! Pairings will be up shortly.

message 27: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Pairings are listed in message #3, and also in the Buddy Reads folder. Happy reading and discussing, everyone!

message 28: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4088 comments J.C. wrote: "Darn it, I missed it again! Just seen this😞.. not ment to be😔"

J.C. what kind of books do you like to read? I'd be happy to do a second buddy read - they've been a lot of fun!

message 29: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4088 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Pairings are listed in message #3, and also in the Buddy Reads folder. Happy reading and discussing, everyone!"

Hey Karen- Samantha and I are going to read Reasonable Doubt by Whitney G Reasonable Doubt Full Series (Reasonable Doubt, #1-3.25) by Whitney G.

message 30: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Michaele wrote: "J.C. wrote: "Darn it, I missed it again! Just seen this😞.. not ment to be😔"

J.C. what kind of books do you like to read? I'd be happy to do a second buddy read - they've been a lot of fun!"

Michaele - Thanks for making the offer!

J.C. - You're welcome to set something up with Michaele (of course), and you also have the option of jumping into one of the other pairs and making it a trio! If you want to wait until more of the groups have their books picked, you can see if anything looks good to you. Sorry you missed the signup deadline! =)

message 31: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Michaele wrote: "~KarenH~ wrote: "Pairings are listed in message #3, and also in the Buddy Reads folder. Happy reading and discussing, everyone!"

Hey Karen- Samantha and I are going to read Reasonable Doubt by Whi..."

Wow, you guys are quick!

message 32: by Anabella (new)

Anabella  Shay (anabellashay) | 12 comments Anna and I are reading Sex, Lies and Online Dating by Rachel Gibson
Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1) by Rachel Gibson

message 33: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4088 comments J.C. what kind of books do you like to read? I'd be happy to do a second buddy read - ..."

J.C. I'm still happy to pick a book with you if nothing else appeals. :)

message 34: by Saint Monique (new)

Saint Monique Lisa and I are going to read Forget me not by Brooke Blaine Forget Me Not (The Unforgettable Duet #1) by Brooke Blaine

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Ezinwanyi and I will be reading The British Knight by Louise Bay.

message 36: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 26, 2018 10:59PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19622 comments Hi Karen - Andra and I will read Lost & Found by Lucy Lennox :). Can add the hyperlink when I’m back on my laptop.

***edit***
Auto-correct is killing me - Andra, not Nedra!

message 37: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Hi Karen - Nedra and I will read Lost & Found by Lucy Lennox :). Can add the hyperlink when I’m back on my laptop."

No worries Jane...I just searched it! =)

message 38: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19622 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Hi Karen - Nedra and I will read Lost & Found by Lucy Lennox :). Can add the hyperlink when I’m back on my laptop."

No worries Jane...I just searched it! =)"

message 39: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4088 comments J.C. wrote: "Michaele wrote: "J.C. what kind of books do you like to read? I'd be happy to do a second buddy read - ..."

J.C. I'm still happy to pick a book with you if nothing else appeals. :)"

Would you be ..."

How about Wrangled? It's available as an audiobook which makes it easier for me, if that's cool with you?

message 40: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4088 comments J.C. wrote: "Michaele wrote: "J.C. wrote: "Michaele wrote: "J.C. what kind of books do you like to read? I'd be happy to do a second buddy read - ..."

J.C. I'm still happy to pick a book with you if nothing el..."

That works for me! I'll PM you to set up a day to start!

message 41: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments Michaele wrote: "J.C. wrote: "Michaele wrote: "J.C. wrote: "Michaele wrote: "J.C. what kind of books do you like to read? I'd be happy to do a second buddy read - ..."

J.C. I'm still happy to pick a book with you ..."

J.C. wrote: "Sounds perfect, again thank you!"

Remember, you can open a thread in the Buddy Reads folder for your discussion, even though it's not officially part of this challenge. That folder is available for anyone to use for any buddy reads, whether it's something set up by the group or just on your own. I hope you enjoy your books, and thanks Michaele for offering to step in so J.C. has a buddy!

message 42: by Michaele (new)

Michaele | 4088 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Michaele wrote: "J.C. wrote: "Michaele wrote: "J.C. wrote: "Michaele wrote: "J.C. what kind of books do you like to read? I'd be happy to do a second buddy read - ..."

J.C. I'm still happy to pick..."

Thanks Karen!

message 43: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19605 comments I guess my buddy is a no-show. Karen, are any others waiting too? I'm pretty flexible. =)

message 44: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments MountainKat wrote: "I guess my buddy is a no-show. Karen, are any others waiting too? I'm pretty flexible. =)"

Actually, Fran's buddy is a no-show too, so how about you two just pair up?

message 45: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19605 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "MountainKat wrote: "I guess my buddy is a no-show. Karen, are any others waiting too? I'm pretty flexible. =)"

Actually, Fran's buddy is a no-show too, so how about you two just pair up?"

Works for me! =)

message 46: by Hanne (new)

Hanne | 113 comments Chan and I will read Complicate Me by M. Robinson

message 47: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19622 comments Andra and I have finished our BR of Lost and Found. Both of us really enjoyed it. We both rated it 4 stars and plan to read line up book 2 (together or separately) :D

message 48: by Hanne (new)

Hanne | 113 comments Chan and I finished Complicate Me last week. It wasn't a great book, but we agreed on everything.
We'll do another buddy read with Before We Were Strangers by Renée Carlino soon :)