Start by marking “Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1)

Sex, Lies, and Online Dating

(Writer Friends #1)

SEX...

What is it about men anyway? Bad cars, bad jobs, even bad teeth -- nothing convinces them that they can't snare a Size Two Babe with a D-cup chest. And after way too many internet dates with men named "luvstick" and "bigdaddy182," Lucy Rothschild should know.

LIES...

But sitting across from her now is "hardluvnman," and he seems different -- sensitive, honest, and hot!
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published January 31st 2006 by Avon (first published January 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sex, Lies, and Online Dating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex, Lies, and Online Dating

Alp
Wow, I loved this book! Absolutely exceptional!

When I picked up this one, I didn't know that I was going to read a Romantic Suspense story. But it was ok, I was just a little bit surprised considering most of Rachel Gibson’s books, especially the other books in this series that I already read, are Contemporary Romance. (I got the same feeling I got when I started reading her book, Lola Carlyle Reveals All.) And as always happens when I read her books, I was hooked from the first page and totally
Mo
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it

Lucy was a writer. She worked with words. She filled each of her books with a hundred thousand of them. But only two words cam to mind. Holy Crap! Not eloquent but fitting.

When I went to read this one I saw that my Kindle was at 100% so I had read it already. It did sound a bit familiar but hey, better to re-read a good book than to read a mediocre new book? Right.

She pulled out a pair of jeans and a woman’s marathon T-shirt from the time she’d signed up to run but had accicentally on purpose
Yolanda
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
3,8, casi 4. Me lo he pasado pipa, me encantan estas historias de la Gibson. Lo que disfruto yo con estas lecturas xDDDD.
Quiero un Quinn
jenjn79
I can't particularly think of much good to say about this book. I wouldn't say it was downright horribly bad...well, maybe not. It was a waste of $7, though.

The plot isn't exactly original - A serial killer meeting victims online. I've read a number of books with a similar theme. Which isn't a bad thing, necessarily, if the author can make their work stand-out from the rest, but for this book, there was nothing to this storyline to separate it from anything else out there. It was all pretty basi
Karen
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

“You said ‘Mr. Snookums.’”
A slow grin turned up the corners of his lips. “I must be in love with you,” he said. “The name of your cat doesn’t shrivel my sac anymore.”
Her chest got all achy and she blinked away the sudden stinging in her eyes.
“Well, I must be in love with you, because hearing you talk about your shriveling sac doesn’t make me want to stab my ears.”

I don't think I've read a Rachel Gibson book that I haven't loved. This one, was no exception. It was published in 2006, I beli
Jacob Proffitt
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, steamy
Ah, the trials of online dating in the 2006 frontier. The primitive matchups made a good backdrop for this pseudo-suspense romance. Although the story was kind of basic, I found myself intrigued by the dynamic of two people dating undercover, one for research for her book, the other a cop on a case. And while I thought Quinn was a bit obtuse in thinking Lucy might be the killer because she wrote so evocatively I had to remind myself that a lot of people don't understand how writers work and that ...more
Ginger
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars.
Fun plot and Lucy finally became interesting by the middle of the book. She felt pretty blah to me in the beginning for some weird reason. Quinn was great throughout the whole book so he saved the story.
Dee
3.5 Stars

Funny in places, good story with plenty of tension between H/h......More than a 3 but not quite 4 stars.
Jen
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5

This was an okay book - I liked the element of a mystery writer thought to be a serial killer and a police officer getting tangled up together.

I liked the characters and the plot but there still seemed to be some substance missing from it that I couldn't quite put my finger on (which is why I took away half a star).

An easy read if you're looking for something short and cute.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Lucy Rothschild, mystery writer, is doing a research on online dating. Her next book is about a serial killer who kills people she met online so Lucy is doing the same, minus the murders. She is just doing her job.
Quinn ('hardluvnman') is also doing his, dating women who are the most likely suspects in the serial killer case. Someone has already killed three men and Quinn's job is to find the killer. He didn't expect to be this attracted to one of the suspects though. Neither did Lucy expect to
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-tbr, 4-star
4 Stars

Consistently Rachel Gibson. Another enjoyable read.

Happy Reading!
Azita Rassi
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hildy
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This was good! I listened to the audio for about 60% until my library loan expired and I needed to purchase the book to find out what happened. I really liked both main characters.
Quirky Omega
After a very long time, a male lead forced me to sympathise with him. Poor guy was simply trying to do his job. Falling in love with a suspect while you’re in an under-cover job was bound to be a miserable mess. I suppose the heroine’s allowed to feel indignation at having been considered a suspected serial killer, but give the poor guy a break. He couldn’t have disclosed any information to her. Until she was categorically absolved of any kind of suspicion, he couldn’t have done much to help her ...more
Amafle
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Una muy buena historia de amor tejida con misterio, diversión, pasión, drama.
Anca
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fluffy, entertaining :D
Şeyma
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yazar arkadaşlar mı? Hepsinin hikayesi mi? Ay evet evet her birini okumak istiyorum :)
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: august-2018
a very average read with a touch of romance and fluff but definitely not enough. focused a lot on mystery which I didn't really want lol but oh well. onto the next one!
Juliana Philippa
I'm thinking that maybe Sex, Lies, and Online Dating should receive even less than 3 stars, but after reading two previous Gibson books that I absolutely adored (they were my first of hers and total hits: It Must Be Love and See Jane Score) I'm reluctant to give a worse rating.

The writing was good I guess, though Gibson sometimes cuts up her sentences very oddly and one feels like a period was put in one place when it should have been a few words earlier or later. On the plus side, Lucy's female
Shxrxn
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I will always feel the loss of her, but that doesn’t mean I have to stand in one place and feel the pain of it every day. For the rest of my life.
- Quinn
Aren’t double standards a bitch?
- Lucy
I want to be with you. I like being with you. When I’m not with you, I’m thinking about you. No one else. Just you.
- Quinn
I wanted you more than I can ever remember wanting anything in my life.
- Quinn
I thought you were going to keep your hands to yourself.
- Lucy
Fuck that.
- Quinn
Are you going to remember me o
Ali
This was good up until the secret came out about him being a cop. After he treated her like sh*t an was rude to her for no reason. He was the one that lied to her for so long and took it to far. Then he said he only did it for his job as in he didn't care about her at all. And what does she do? Falls at his feet the moment he does something remotely nice. PATHETIC! Is all the heroines of this author this weak? and is all her hero's a**holes?
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
Nope. Not even 15 minutes in and I'm hearing awkward pauses and a forced cadence to Kathleen Early's audiobook phrasing. This is going to have to be one for print if indeed I do end up picking it up again. I think this is a case of personal preference and not voice talent or casting - but it's decidedly not for me.
✎Stacey "The One Night Biter"
I liked this cute read few sizzle parts and the author didn't give it away who done it too soon

I'll keep up with this series
Jenn Scranton
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
HAHA! Sex, Lies, and Online Dating definitely put a smile on my face this Saturday! Just goes to show that honesty is the best policy!

Lucy is a murder mystery writer and she uses online dating programs to go on "dates" to do research for her books. Basically, she takes down mental notes on the people and then she "kills them off"... In her book of course! But she doesn't realize that some crazy woman is using her books as an instruction manual and committing real crimes!

Now Quinn is a cop who
ElaineY
REVIEW OF REREAD NOV 2012:
Six years after I first read this, my star rating is still a 3-star meh. In fact, I couldn't even be bothered to get halfway because this time round, it did sound like chick lit. This time I couldn't find anything to enjoy because there was nothing to attract me to either MC - the heroine was bland and so was the hero and six years after the book was released, the online dating plot device is so old that the only thing that could have saved the story was if the MCs were
Ana María
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lindo, liviano.
¿Qué pasa cuando hay una asesina en serie suelta que mata hombres adictos a las citas online?
Pues que un policía que está para comérselo se mete de incógnito en el mundo de las citas por internet, al mismo tiempo que una escritora de novelas de misterio hace lo mismo para investigar el tema para su próximo libro.
Y bueno, pasa lo que tiene que pasar.
Entretenida, divertida y sexy.
No para tirar cohetes pero pasa de sobra.
Con el estilo de Linda Howard en "El velo de la noche", policía
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Fairly standard fare. Mystery writer Lucy Rothschild is dating men found on the internet to come up with characters for her book character to kill. Detective Quinn McIntyre is dating women found online to find the one killing people. He thinks she did it. She suddenly thinks he's dreamy. Can they get over the lies? Can they catch the real killer? Can they keep their hands of each other? Well it is a romance novel, what do you think?

Light and fun overall. Likable characters and a few funny moment
Caz Malpas
3.5 EASY LISTENING STARS!

With the hustle and bustle of the school holidays sometimes you just want a book that you can listen to that doesn't require lots of thought and doesn't put you on an emotional roller coaster.
This read/listen was a perfect combination of sweet and suspenseful, it held my interest and kept me entertained.
A lighthearted romance with a good murder mystery storyline.
Shanon
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes chick lit or PG13/R romance
Recommended to Shanon by: Jenna
Overall I enjoyed this book. It wasn't a nail bitter or anything just a fun romantic chick lit book. I was slightly surprised in the end when we found out who the serial killer was. In my mind I had thought it was various employees of the book store, one of the mystery writers friends and one of the other suspects from the online dating pool over the course of the book but had finally settled on a single suspect who was not the culprit at all.
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
At least 3.5, prob even 3.75 stars. Reread this lovely piece of fluff to get away from my brain for awhile. Gibson is one of my go to's, although this is not my favorite in the quartet. I did find myself enjoying this book more than I remembered and wondering why it wasn't in my reread rotation more often.
Book Club discussion on Sex, Lies, and Online Dating, by Rachel Gibson 1 1 Jul 19, 2018 06:16PM
Romance Readers R...: April Buddy Read - Sex. Lies and Online Dating (Ana, Anna) 11 24 Apr 28, 2018 08:43PM
Online dating 2 8 Dec 17, 2016 02:07PM
general 7 62 Apr 22, 2013 06:49PM
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils (Playboys, #2)
  • Head Over Heels (Marine #1)
  • Total Rush (New York Blades, #3)
  • Lead Me On (Tumble Creek, #3)
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas, #2)
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
  • First Comes Love (Hot Water, California #1)
Rachel was born in Boise, Idaho, USA. Her father worked for a telephone company, and her mother was a housewife. Idaho has the largest population of Basques outside of the Basque lands of Spain. She grew up with kids with last names like Uberuaga, Berriochoa, and Egisquiza, but years later she discovered the rest of the country didn't really know much about the Basque culture or history.

Rachel's

Writer Friends (4 books)
  • I'm In No Mood For Love  (Writer Friends, #2)
  • Tangled Up In You (Truly Idaho, #2; Writer Friends, #3)
  • Not Another Bad Date (Writer Friends, #4)
“He wrapped his arms around her waist and looked at her through those intense brown eyes she loved. "I wanted you when I thought you'd pull a bag over my head and snuff out my life. I wanted you more than I've wanted anything. I love you more than I've loved anyone. You burst into my life like sunshine and made me see how lonely I was. I don't want to live that way anymore." He pressed a kiss to her hairline. "I will love you with my last breath.” 17 likes
“I want to be with you." He straightened and brought her against his chest. "I like being with you," he continued. "When I'm not with you, I'm thinking about you. No one else. Just you.” 14 likes