Audio-Bibliophiles discussion

General Discussion > Fluff for days when I don't want to think too hard?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne Trinkle (jonanne) | 32 comments Hey there. My name is Anne and I've only posted a couple of times. I have chronic fatigue and a bad back injury and am a stay at home mom with two teenage kids. I love audiobooks and I walk around with my Marley earbuds in 24/7. I am able to switch from one book to another at will and not get confused. But I NEED some Danielle Steel or similar type book recommendations for days when I have " brain fog". I'm not insulting Danielle's writing at all. I'm just saying some days you want to read War and Peace and sometimes you want to just veg with a no brainer pleasant book. I like mysteries as long as they aren't British, love Sophie Kinsella type books, and actually love YA books. Not into science fiction or fantasy. Love Diane Chamberlain and Jodie Piccoult and medical mysteries as long as the plot and characters are too complex. Wow. That makes it easy, huh? HA! Any input would be great.

message 2: by Kathy (last edited Jul 24, 2014 10:20AM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 117 comments Try this Whisper deal that's on special day. I read that it's a sweet, easy-to-enjoy romance. If you're not familiar with a Whispersync deal, it's where you buy the e-book and get the audiobook for a discounted price. You don't have to read the e-book; you can just select to deliver it to your Kindle Cloud Reader after purchase and then purchase the audiobook. The e-book is $1.99, today only and the audiobook is $1.99, so for four bucks you get this book narrated by Nicholas Bouton, who is a very good narrator. You'll want to listen to the sample if you're not familiar with him.

Midnight Moon

If you click on the cover,you'll be taken to the book's page on Amazon.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 17 comments Have you tried the In Death series by J.D. Robb?
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb (Book #1)

They have a great narrator, set in future NY primarily (think along the lines of a more high-brow Blade Runner type world), a bold female police detective with a dark past, a swoony Irish rich hero, and a mystery in each book to boot. Not to mention really fun side characters, and it's a HUGE series that is still going... so there is no shortage to read.

It's not 'ground-breaking' fiction or shout-from-the-rooftops amazing, but they are a go-to 'fun' read for me that is guarenteed to have at least a bit of romance (often more) and some myseries are better than others, but I have yet to read a 'bad' book in this series.

message 4: by Alana ~ The Book Pimp (last edited Jul 24, 2014 10:44AM) (new)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 17 comments If you prefer straight-up romance, then I recommend:

The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1) by Kristen Ashley Sweet Dreams (Colorado Mountain, #2) by Kristen Ashley *or pretty much ANYTHING from Kristen Ashley

If you don't mind paranormal romance, then my go-to author-narrator combo is Molly Harper and Amanda Ronconi. I may not LOVE and ADORE each and every book, but I'm always entertained and satisfied.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Trinkle (jonanne) | 32 comments Thanks you guys!!!! I am limited by what I can get from the library or Goodreads, but I will check both today!!!
Any other "easy" on the brain book suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not just interested in romance- just anything not terribly complex (Jan Karon ring a bell?) That kind of simple book is what I am looking for. Thanks again, Anne

message 6: by Robin P (new)

Robin P I recommend Maeve Binchey, whose books are usually about interlocking characters in a school, workplace, town, etc. Generally heartwarming stories, and the good characters win out although there can be some serious issues they have to deal with. They are mainly set in Ireland. Easy to read and follow.

A YA series that's phenomenal on audio, is Bloody Jack, narrated by Katherine Kellgren, about an English girl in 1800s who joins the navy as a ship's boy. (provided it's not the English accents that turn you off from English mysteries)

A mystery series with some humor that I love on audio is the Chet and Bernie series by Spencer Quinn. Bernie is a barely successful detective and Chet is his dog, a canine training school washout (You see, there was this cat at the graduation exercises...) but together they are a great team. The stories are told by the dog, and Jim Frangione totally becomes him, with a delightfully positive view of the world and an interesting assessment of the humans around him. The first book is Dog On It.

message 7: by Audiothing (last edited Sep 04, 2014 06:45PM) (new)

Audiothing Dixie Divas Dixie Divas by Virginia Brown

I'm not going to describe it as fluff, but this is an easy listen, a Southern Mystery. Lighthearted, lovely narration and, best of all, keeps me smiling

I like the sound of Chet and Bernie too, that Robin recommends

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne Trinkle (jonanne) | 32 comments Thank you ladies. Just what the doctor ordered.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne Trinkle (jonanne) | 32 comments Alana!!! Did you know that JD Robb is actually Nora Roberts? I just read a description of " Naked in Death" and it says " JD Robb- aka Nora Roberts" and I thought, well now I know I will like those books!!! Thanks. Just thought I would pass that knowledge on.