Start by marking “The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1)

The Gamble

(Colorado Mountain #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  51,257 ratings  ·  3,620 reviews
Nina Sheridan desperately needs a timeout vacation. With a fiancé who can't even remember how she takes her coffee, Nina wants some distance to rethink her engagement. Flying halfway around the world from England to a mountain town in Colorado should do the trick. But when she finds a gorgeous man at her rental cabin, Nina's cold, lonely adventure suddenly heats up.

The own
Published April 18th 2011 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

·  51,257 ratings  ·  3,620 reviews

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4.5 Wonder Max Stars

photo fan_zpsxizprgnd.gif

“Duchess?” He threw his other hand out, his gaze drifting the length of me as he said, “Fancy-ass clothes, fancy-ass purse, fancy-ass boots, fancy-ass accent.” His eyes came to my face and he finished firmly. “Duchess.”-Nina and Max

Spoilers

Ok so this is only the 4th book by Kristen Ashley that I have read. The other 3 being the books from the Three Series which is her PNR series. The Three Series was iffy for me. I hated the first book Until the Sun Falls from the Sky with
Aestas Book Blog
“In my life, I’ve learned when to let shit go and when to fight for it. This, babe, what we got, I’ll fight for.”

What is it about Kristen Ashley’s books that just leaves you with the warmest, fuzziest feelings ever ?

They just reach right into your heart and connect you so deeply with each of the characters *big smile*. Absolutely LOVE her writing!! and I’m officially in love with Macho Mountain Max!!

Tired of her boring life with her bland and clueless fiance, Nina decides she needs a time
Misty
Jan 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
I made it to page 1354 of 1466 before I decided to stop torturing myself (Kindle pages! The book isn't THAT long...though it sure felt like it).

The main character, Nina, is British (American really, but has a British Accent). I didn't like her. It's not that I disliked her, I just didn't like her. I found her very one dimensional, without depth to her character. And she says Um a lot. A LOT. I tried to use the find button to find a specific paragraph that really irked me, but I gave up after the
♥ℳelody
DNF @ 45%

I give up.
 photo 794237.gif  photo does-not-get-it.gif
My first Kristen Ashley read and most likely my last. I've heard so much about her books, I finally got around to trying one and unfortunately the experience was not so great. Rather miserable to be honest. Just gonna get straight to the problems...

THE WRITING
 photo its-like-diah.gif
Dear gawd. There is absolutely no structure or editing in this. It's a looooong-winded mess with no direction. I needed to re-read a Lisa Kleypas book to flush this out of my system. Gah.

-Use of parenthesis
"Charli
Kristen
Solid 4 stars

Wow! Kristen Ashley is one fantastic storyteller! I adore her charismatic characters, her intimate writing style, and her fabulous, sexy, overprotective, alpha heroes. Her heroes are truly swoonalicious!

Overall, I really enjoyed The Gamble. I did feel the book was a tad long-winded and wish the hero and heroine spent more time together without the constant interruptions from the secondary characters. With that said, I still loved this story. I loved Max's and Nina's characters. I lo
Stacey is Sassy
Kristen Ashley magic...or my blind devotion?

I absolutely love this story, but sometimes I feel guilty. It makes me feel like a hypocrite. It sort of has cheating in it, sort of has Nina trapped against her will and is completely OTT insta-love.

It must just be KA magic. I'm blinded to the things that would normally make my eye twitch. I honestly never saw those things when I initially read it and had to have someone tell me.

How the hell does she do it? Magic, I tell you...

**********

The Gamble def
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

There are already many excellent reviews of this book, so I’m going to keep mine short -

I kept seeing Kristen Ashley’s name show up on my Goodreads friends’ status and review updates, so I had to see for myself what all the hoopla was about! Well, to be honest, I can't quite put my finger on it, but whatever it is about this book and this author, I’m sold! The writing isn’t flawless and it took me a bit to get used to the author’s style, but once I did it was easy to read and I couldn't put it
Shawna
5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

The Gamble is my second Kristen Ashley read, and I enjoyed it as much as Sweet Dreams, mainly because yummy, protective alpha hero Max actually rocked my world more than SD’s Tate. Nina and Max were great together, and the story kept me completely engaged, despite the fact that it’s very lengthy. The Gamble is another winner, and I’m looking forward to reading more from this author. 5 stars!

One of my favorite scenes is when Max mops the floor with Nina’s snooty
ღFloღ the coffee addict
4 the definition of guilty pleasure STARS

And another Kristen Ashley book for me. I simply can't stop with this woman. I'm guessing it has something to do with my current mood and my need to read something lovely that makes me feel good...like coming home, or eating comfort food in grandma's kitchen.

Anyway...why did I put 'the definition of guilty pleasure' up there in my rating? Because it's one of those chick flicks where you have to suspend your disbelieve and just go with the flow.

“I looked
Baba
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
REVIEW COMPLETED SEPTEMBER 6, 2012

"You'll get the good stuff, Duchess." Wonder Max. Divine.

Photobucket

Admittedly, my Max did change his eye color from grey to brown. Whatever. He is gorgeous.

"Forgot about carin' about someone so much you would do everything in your power to stop them havin' pain."

I should have read The Gamble sooner rather than later. Yes, Sweet Dreams and Tate will always stay above and beyond, however, Max…he is simply another divine KA hero. I was surprised that he had very few jerk-
Ana
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nina Sheridan desperately needed a timeout from her life (especially her fiancee). So spending a week in a rented A-Frame in the Colorado mountains sounds like haven.

Unfortunately, when she gets there she has a nasty surprise. The owner changed his mind and is staying in the house.

And to top it all, her car went into a ditch and she has a nasty flu. A great start, no? And that's just the beginning.

Nina was an OK heroine, I liked her. She's feisty, argumentative, has a pretty bad temper, and she'
NMmomof4
4 Stars (Originally Read 1/2/2014)

3.5 Stars (Re-Read 2/8/2017)

4 Stars (*Re-Read 3/27/2019)

*Re-Read Note: This was enjoyable as another re-read. I'm in a major book funk, so this helped a little in that I knew going in that I was going to enjoy it. I liked their relationship and I liked the kookie side characters that KA always does really well. I wasn't bothered too much with the (view spoiler) touchy subject, but again I did have some issues with how Max handled Nin
Christy
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book... The main reason I loved it? Max!

Nina is tired of her life. Living in England, engaged to a boring man who never listens to her, she decides she needs a time out. This brings her to the Colorado mountains for a two week get away. She arrives to the house she's rented, only to find there had been a mix up. The owner Max is in town. After getting in an argument, Nina decides to leave for a hotel. But its storming. And she is really ill. She ends up in a ditch and none other than
Pearl Angeli
"You think to slide back, settle for something that made you run away because you think it's safe, because it's familiar, because you're scared of takin' a gamble on me, I'm warnin' you now, Duchess, I'm not gonna allow that."

4 Holden Maxwell Stars!

Be still my heart. This book was all kinds of sweet and adorable and wonderful!

The Gamble may be wordy but it was so worthy. 670+ pages and I regret nothing! Perhaps it has something to do with the way the author made me feel so ooey and gooey ins
♥Rachel♥
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Re-read (on audio) for the 3rd time May 21st 2018 and loved it all over again. I'm changing my 4 star rating to 5 star!

Re-read (on audio) April 22nd 2015

Just as good if not better the second time around. This is classic Kristen Ashley with all the rambling and crazy, fun friends. Of course wouldn't be KA without a delicious Alpha male who won't let go or take no for an answer.

Emma Taylor does an excellent job with Nina's English accent. Max calling Nina "Duchess" made even more sense hearing h
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4 Please stop saying you're sorry before I hit you stars
"You lose anyone, there’s no replacing them. What you need to get is that's precious. You get to keep that. You don't want to replace it. That doesn't mean you can't find something else just as good."

Welcome to Gnaw Bone, Colorado.

I'm not sure why I spent my time searching through pictures to find my perfect Max and Nina, where really, I could have just gone with

(Did I just age myself?)

I love, and I mean LOVE Kristen Ashley books. I ha
Jilly
I've never actually watched one of those Lifetime movies that are dramatic and sappy, but I imagine that this is what they are like. Along with an improbable romance, there are kidnappings, suicide attempts, bar fights, abusive men, murders, and alien babies. (okay, maybe not the alien babies. Too bad because that would have been awesome! oh, oh, how about alien twin babies and one of them is an evil twin? Yes! I love evil twins!)

This book is about Nina, an American girl who has spent most of he
* Meli Mel *
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to * Meli Mel * by: Melissa *Pervy Kitten* and Tessa Teevan

♥♥♥ 5 'Macho Mountain Man' Stars ♥♥♥

The Gamble takes place in a small town named Gnaw Bone, Colorado. This is the place Nina Sheridan goes to for a "timeout" from her fiancé Niles. When she arrives at the cabin she rented, she meets Max, the owner of the Cabin. Max only rents out the cabin when he isn't home, so there has been a mix up. He pretty much kicks her out of the cabin and tells her to go to a hotel. Nina gets pissed off then storms away only to get stuck in the snow and fall sick. Max
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars

The Gamble was my second ever Kristen Ashley novel. I think I discovered it on a random listopia list here on Goodreads. This is the book where I fell in love with her as an author, and I devoured the Mountain Man series. I've never read another series like this one, and I don't think I ever will.

I love Max and his Duchess. Such a wonderful story of a lost woman who found hersel
Wendy'sThoughts
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kristen Ashley Fans, Romance
Shelves: favorites
5 Rolling the Dice Stars
* * * * * Now FREE Spoiler Free-Full Review
Once Upon a Time, I discovered Kristen Ashley. I was new to goodreads and never had any idea I would ever start reviewing. I just had heard about Ashley and the only way to get her books was as an Ebook. I went to Amazon, got the Kindle App and then my addiction started. I was hooked from the start and over a few weeks I read everything I could get my hands on... I even would risk reading at work...Not just at lunch... but at my
Jen
This was another great Kristen Ashley read.. I did however find it somewhat long. In fact, I am thinking it was over 600 pages...I felt that some of the story could have been shaved down a bit; but even so I did enjoy this read over all! I am looking forward to the rest of the Colorado series, and of course; more of the gruff Alpha men that KA gives us in her stories!!! If you are a reader who enjoys Ms. Ahsley's style of writing; then this will be a book you will highly enjoy. A great addition ...more
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Dear GR Friends,
After reading the 3 books in this series I am packing up my shit and moving to Colorado.
I'm going to get me a Mountain man! Anyone with me?
We shall leave on the red eye.
Sincerly Kellie.

Ok Seriously after reading the Rock Chick series and falling for most of them but Luke took top spot, and then the Dream Man series and falling head over heels for Tack and Hawk I didn't think I had much more in me.
Until I met Max, Ty and Tate!
GOOD DDAAYYMMNNNN My hoo ha was quivering!

I loved
Lady Heather
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: contemporary romance, lovers of domineering alpha males
 photo http3A2F2F38.media.tumblr.com2Fe2cf324ed982669885e766585dbc6e232Ftumblr_ndc756R7sc1rpe0jco1_1280.jpg

First read: Feb 7-10. 2012

The book's synopsis basically says it all. It was a none stop roller-coaster ride throughout the whole story.
The characters are brilliantly written.
The story is AMAZING!
There was so much going on all the time, and yet it wasn't 'busy'.
I loved the author's style of writing.
The characters became real and were extremely likeable.
This book is not a quick read, so if you want to put the time into a really good read.
I highly recommend this book!

Re-read: August 29-31, 201
Blacky *Romance Addict*
I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever read a KA epilogue and won't have tears in my eyes <3

This was a re-read, and as much as I remembered how great this book was, I actually didn't remember enough, because this was absolutelyfreakingamazinglyfabulous! It just confirms Colorado Mountain as my favorite KA series <3

The story - I loved the beginning, Nina rents a house in the middle of nowhere, during winter, she gets there, meets Max who essentially throws her out, she gets pissed and ends up
Smitten's Book Blog

As usual, Kristen Ashley doing what she does best! Hot, sexy, dominant, protective alpha males.

5 stars for Nina and Max!

This book is long. To be honest, this was a bad week for me to read it as I had lots going on outside of my 'reading world'... but it's been sitting on my Kindle for ages and I just really felt the need for a good KA hero. And despite the length of this book, it does not drag. At all! It's fast paced, action packed and I wouldn't have wanted it to be any shorter.

The story is t
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Re read - love it as much as the first time.

I loved Nina and Max, even with their flaws and issues. Even when they were being daft or doing something I did not agree with, it was obvious it was borne out of a sense of fear.

Great cast of secondary characters (and as I thought the first time, Brody needs a story!)

Great exciting plot with characters you care about. The writing gives a very real sense of what is happening, and how something is, so you have a very clear picture in your head.

As usual
Dee Montoya
*****6+++++ Very Lucky Stars****

I really wish The Gamble was like those soap opera TV shows that last for ten years or more, I would happily read about Max and Nina forever and now I'm terribly sad because is over. I must say that Kristen Ashley never does me wrong, this novel was absolute perfection to me.

Nina is an American girl living en England; she has a great job and a beautiful home that was built by her dear brother but her relationship with her fiancé is anything but ideal. He rarely pa
Wendy
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed that. Great story and a great hero by the name of Max. Some may be put off by him, with his controlling and domineering way, but I wasn't, I liked him. The heroine Nina, is no wallflower, she's great and she doesn't take crap from anyone if she knows you're in the wrong.

The story itself took, lots of twists and turns and the ending took by surprise. Great HEA too.

My Max.

Photobucket
Tammy Walton Grant
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: skim-readers, they won't notice the grammar or syntax
Recommended to Tammy by: virtually every friend on GR
I did it. I FINALLY read a Kristen Ashley book.

I wasn't going to, because I really didn't want to, but underneath it all I sort of wanted to and therefore it made it all super hard not to, even though if you were to have asked my GR friends, of which there are many and some of them don't even like KA but some of them are super obsessed with her and they would all say to go ahead and read her except for my friends Karla and Catherine who I don't think will give her a try. Whereas, I sat down the
Robin (Bridge Four)
FREE not sure for how long so if you like KA or romance time to pick it up. on Amazon

Another KA buddy read with my girls at Buddies Books & Baubles we are doing great with our one KA book a week plan.

After all the ridiculousness of the Rock Chick series this was a down shift into something a little more serious. There are still those great fun moments filled with banter and she devil smack downs but this book had a undercurrent of something a little more serious.

The Rundown

Nina lives in Eng
Strategies so that you can Triathlon Wet Suits 1 1 Jun 22, 2019 07:02AM
Engage in Cost-free Brilliant Joker Online 1 1 Jun 20, 2019 12:47AM
Kristen Ashley Ad...: The Gamble (Book #1) Max and Nina's Story (Spoilers Possible) 582 1593 Jun 05, 2019 04:59PM
Recommendations? 8 7 May 29, 2019 01:25PM
Kristen Ashley Ad...: Kristen ashley re-read 15 120 Mar 27, 2019 10:47PM
Authors Like Kristen Ashley 24 1709 Jul 15, 2018 12:47PM

• Color of Forgiveness (Color, #2)
  • Liberating Lacey
  • Unlawful Contact (I-Team, #3)
  • Razing Kayne (Walking a Thin Blue Line, #1)
  • Lumberjack in Love
  • Running Barefoot
  • An Ordinary Girl
  • The Reluctant Dom (Suncoast Society, #4)
  • Reaper's Property (Reapers MC, #1)
  • Futures and Frosting (Chocolate Lovers, #2)
  • Heavy Issues (Bowen Boys, #2)
  • Edible (Exquisite, #3)
  • Undeniable (Undeniable, #1)
  • Sweet as Sin
  • The Education of Caroline (The Education of..., #2)
  • Fallen from Grace
  • Midnight Angel (Midnight, #3)
  • Love Thy Neighbour (Friend-Zoned, #2)
Kristen Ashley was born in Gary, Indiana, USA. She nearly killed her mother and herself making it into the world, seeing as she had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck (already attempting to accessorise and she hadn't taken her first breath!).

Kristen grew up in Brownsburg, Indiana but has lived in Denver, Colorado and the West Country of England. Thus she has been blessed to have friends a

Colorado Mountain (7 books)
  • Sweet Dreams (Colorado Mountain, #2)
  • Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain, #3)
  • Breathe (Colorado Mountain, #4)
  • Jagged (Colorado Mountain, #5)
  • Kaleidoscope (Colorado Mountain, #6)
  • Bounty (Colorado Mountain, #7)
“He put the knuckles of his fist to the table, leaned toward Niles and spoke quietly, cuttingly, in his rough, gravelly voice.

“Fucked her last night, man, and this morning. Five times. Five. It was like she hadn’t been touched in a decade. So fuckin’ sweet. Damn,” he taunted, his eyes locked on Niles. “You’ve had her, you gotta know, not enough money in the world’s worth that.”
170 likes
“In my life, I’ve learned when to let shit go and when to fight. This, babe, what we got, I’ll fight for.” 154 likes