Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Challenge 2018 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Someone Else Pick It For Me- April

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 917 comments Mod
If you are willing to place one of your April reading choices in the hands of another person, leave a comment here with at least five books and no more than ten from your TBR shelf. Participants need to leave comments no later than March 24th.

Here's how it will work:
Sophia will match people up and leave a comment with a list of who will choose for whom.
When you see the person you are to pick for, then just look at their list in the above comments and leave a new comment with their name and the book you chose for them by March 31st.

You also need to watch and see what book your person chose from your list for you.
You have the rest of the month to read the book.

So if this sounds like something you would like to do, just comment below leaving your name and list of book choices for someone to pick your April book.

message 2: by Sophia (new)

Here's my April's list, no fooling! ;)

1. Lizzy Bennet Meets the Countess by Don Jacobson
2. First Impressions by Debra White Smith
3. By the Book by Julia Sonneborn
4. Fashions in the Era of Jane Austen by Jody Gayle
5. The Annotated Sense and Sensibility by David Shapard
6. Love and Freindship by Jane Austen
7. Spring Fever by Jessica Gray, and others.

message 3: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments J. W. Garrett’s 2018 Someone Else Pick It For Me - April

1) The Cousins Series [3-Book Box-set] by Jennifer Joy
2) Leaving Bennet Behind Series [Books 1-3] by Sarah Johnson
3) Memory [Books 1-3] by Linda Wells
4) Another Darcy [4-books Bundle] by Jane Grix
5) Darcy and Elizabeth What-If? [Book Bundles: 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12] By Jennifer Lang
6) Dearest Friends Collection [2-Books] by Pamela Lynne
7) Elizabeth, Darcy and Me Series [3-Books] by Georgina Young-Ellis
8) Progression [Vol. 1, 2, 3 & ?]: by Jodi L. Covey

There are several series, bundles, box-sets, or collections located in the deepest, darkest depths of my TBR pile. When you choose for me, I am obligating myself to reading the set. Here is the best part… I’ll just keep submitting this list each ‘Someone Else Pick It For Me’ month, until I clear them out. I am tired of freezing up every time I try to decide where I want to start. This has been fun, so far, and I’ve reduced a few of my bundles. It doesn’t matter where we start… in a few months this list… ‘will be back’… sorry, I love saying that.

message 4: by Anji (last edited Mar 20, 2018 01:07PM) (new)

Anji | 291 comments Just popping in quickly to add my list, whilst our Aussie visitors are away for a couple of days. I'm choosing titles to fit in with my self-imposed 'alphabet challenge' and have chosen one from each of my 'missing' letters. Q is missing here, as although I've got a Q title, it's the third in a trilogy and I have to read the others first. Unlike Jeanne, I just can't commit to that in one month! I've had to use a bit of imagination for my 'X' and 'Z' titles - but at least the letters occur within the title!

1. Game of Kings by Anthea Carson
2. Reflections by Linda Gonschior
3. A Touch of Night by Sarah A. Hoyt
4. Undone Business: A Pride and Prejudice Novella Variation by Rose Fairbanks
5. Vampire Darcy's Desire: A Pride and Prejudice Adaptation by
Regina Jeffers - my 'picker' can choose whether I read the ebook or listen to the audiobook
6. My 'X' choice is Dreams and Expectations by Wendi Sotis
7. Yours Affectionately, Jane Austen by Sally Smith O'Rourke
8. My 'Z' choice is the audio version of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

message 5: by Kirk (last edited Mar 20, 2018 10:21PM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments #1 Summer of Love (Holidays With Jane, #4) Reread
Summer of Love (Holidays With Jane, #4) by Melissa Buell

#2 Cake and Courtship
Cake and Courtship (Mr Bennet's Memoirs #1) by Mark Brownlow

#3 Abigail's dusty book selection....The Highbury Murders: A Mystery Set in the Village of Jane Austen's Emma Victoria Grossack.
The Highbury Murders A Mystery Set in the Village of Jane Austen's Emma by Victoria Grossack

#4 Modern Persuasion by Sara Marks
Modern Persuasion by Sara Marks

#5 After the Letter: A Persuasion Continuation
by Meg Osborne
After the Letter A Persuasion Continuation by Meg Osborne

message 7: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments Here is my April's list:
1/ The Assistant: before Pride &Prejudice by Raina Everly
2/ Finally Mrs Darcy by Leenie Brown
3/ The arrangement to save Pemberley by Katie Naylor
4/ Dear Sir, Dear Madam by Mary Lydon Simonsen
5/ Assumptions & absurdities by Cinnamon Worth
6/ Mysterious Mr Darcy by Monica Fairview

message 8: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 545 comments JW: Heartily recommend 3&8.
Anji: 6 your X
Kirk: Sadly, I have not read any of your choices.
Patricia: Mr Darcy's Rival & Ardently.
Tlotem: 4 Dear Sir Dear Madam

Hope I have perceived this correctly and we are supposed pick each other's read. If not, it will not be the first time I have stomped in the salad...

My pick it for me list of books that has gathered some dust on my kindle:

Check out this book on Goodreads: The Trials: A Pride and Prejudice Story https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
Check out this book on Goodreads: The Many Lives of Fitzwilliam Darcy https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
Check out this book on Goodreads: The Unthinkable Triangle: A Pride and Prejudice Variation https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Check out this book on Goodreads: The Subsequent Proposal: A Tale of Pride, Prejudice & Persuasion https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Check out this book on Goodreads: One Good Sort of Man: A Pride and Prejudice Variation https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Vaarin wrote: "JW: Heartily recommend 3&8.
Anji: 6 your X
Kirk: Sadly, I have not read any of your choices.
Patricia: Mr Darcy's Rival & Ardently.
Tlotem: 4 Dear Sir Dear Madam

Hope I have perceived this corr..."

You understood just fine, Vaarin! You've got your list up on time. On Mar 25th, I'll draw names and leave a comment with your name and the person I drew for you. Then you go to their list here and pick a book for them by April 1st to read. The person who has your name will go over your list and pick one for you, too.

message 10: by Sophia (new)

Here is the list of drawn names, everyone! Remember the name on the left picks for the name on the right. For example: Sophia will pick for Vaarin.

Pick from your person's list above and leave a comment no later than March 31st so they can start their book on April 1st. Don't forget to check which book was picked for you.

Sophia > Vaarin
JW > Tlotem
Patricia > Sophia
Anji > Kirk
Kirk > Patricia
Tlotem > JW
Vaarin > Anji

Since this is the first time for some, let me just say that, if for whatever reason, you can't make the pick or participate this time around, just message me and I'll make a few switches. No problem. And, if you don't happen to finish your book by the end of April... also not a problem. LOL

Come back after you've read your book and leave a note of your impressions if you'd like. Happy reading, all!

message 11: by Sophia (new)

Hi Vaarin!

I drew your name so here I am with my pick from your list. I am picking The Trial for you to read. I hope its good. I'm curious about it. :)

message 12: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Tlotem... hello my dear... I pick for you #6. I know it just came out but thought you might want to grab it. Enjoy.

message 13: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Hi Patricia!

I hope you enjoy Persuaded. I did! Cheers!

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara | 218 comments Awe man, I'm too late. Oh well, next month. :(

message 15: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Aahhhhh!!

I'll help you out Sara... if you have a list... pick #5. That should do it. LOL!! No one gets lef out of a Someone Else Pick It for Me Month... If that doesn't work... submit a list and someone will pick something for you.

message 16: by Sophia (new)

J. W. wrote: "Aahhhhh!!

I'll help you out Sara... if you have a list... pick #5. That should do it. LOL!! No one gets lef out of a Someone Else Pick It for Me Month... If that doesn't work... submit a list and..."

I like your solution, Jeanne! :)

message 17: by Sophia (new)

Sara wrote: "Awe man, I'm too late. Oh well, next month. :("

Jeanne's right, Sara! If you still want to join, put up a list. Jeanne can pick on for you. :)

message 18: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 545 comments Anji:
I pick 6, Dreams and expectations by Wendi Sotis because I really liked it.

Sophia: The trial it is then :)

message 19: by Anji (last edited Mar 26, 2018 01:52AM) (new)

Anji | 291 comments Vaarin wrote: "Anji:
I pick 6, Dreams and expectations by Wendi Sotis because I really liked it.

Sophia: The trial it is then :)"

Thanks Elin! Wendi's books are always a good read.

message 20: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments Kirk wrote: "#1 Summer of Love (Holidays With Jane, #4) Reread

#2 Cake and Courtship

#3 Abigail's dusty book selection....The Highbu..."

Hi Kirk. I'm picking Modern Persuasion by Sara Marks Modern Persuasion for you. It's been on my TBR list since I won a copy last year. Looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

message 21: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments J. W. wrote: "Tlotem... hello my dear... I pick for you #6. I know it just came out but thought you might want to grab it. Enjoy."

Hi Jeanne, thank you for your choice, I'll be happy to read it.
Difficult choice for you but I will pick memory books by Linda Wells as I did enjoyed them. I hope you will have a good time with them

message 22: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Thank you Tlotem... I've only read one Linda Wells book so far and I look forward to reading these. Thanks again.

message 23: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Anji wrote: "Kirk wrote: "#1 Summer of Love (Holidays With Jane, #4) Reread

#2 Cake and Courtship

#3 Abigail's dusty book selection...."

Great, thanks!!!!

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 86 comments Sophia I am going to choose By the Book for you. I just checked the book out at the library today . :)

message 25: by Sophia (new)

Oh, super! Thank you, Patricia!

We can both see how we like it. :)

message 26: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 545 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

The Trials by Timothy Underwood. Thrilling read that I have no idea why I dreaded reading.
Thank you Sophia :)

message 27: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Anji wrote: "Kirk wrote: "#1 Summer of Love (Holidays With Jane, #4) Reread

#2 Cake and Courtship

#3 Abigail's dusty book selection...."

Thank you Anji!! It was very good. I'll try to put up a review Thursday. Basically I agree with what Sophia, Meredith, Anna, and a few others said about the book. A few small quibbles but one big plus for one particular thing. Ok, that's my review.

message 28: by Sophia (new)

Vaarin wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

The Trials by Timothy Underwood. Thrilling read that I have no idea why I dreaded reading.
Thank you Sophia :)"

Book dread is a real thing. LOL I'm glad this one turned out well, Vaarin!

message 29: by Sophia (new)

And hey, I actually finished my book at the top of the Month for the first time in ages.

Thanks for picking, By the Book for me, Patricia. It was a delight! I loved that she was a professor on a college campus and it explored that world. And besides being a Persuasion retelling, it was half P&P retelling, too. :)

message 30: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments Finished also my book for April.
Thank you Jeanne for picking it for me.
The story was an unusual one with events previous to the story different from canon, and a mystery not so difficult to imagine even if we have to wait for the details. I enjoyed the journey.

message 31: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Tlotem... I also finished book 1 in the series... I still have two more to go... I really enjoyed it and am taking a little break before starting book 2. Thanks for picking for me.

message 32: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments I’m glad you enjoyed it Jeanne!

message 33: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 307 comments Tlotem, is this a new avatar? I like it! If it's not new, sorry - it must have just struck me today.

message 34: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments No, it’s not, but it’s okay.

message 35: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 307 comments Tlotem, I must have noticed more detail on my laptop. For the longest time I thought Kirk's avatar was a grey hat on a picture of a not-very- well defined person. 🤭

message 36: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments I am surprised Kirk didn't choose a photo of his bike... that would be cool.

message 37: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Marlene wrote: "Tlotem, I must have noticed more detail on my laptop. For the longest time I thought Kirk's avatar was a grey hat on a picture of a not-very- well defined person. 🤭"
Hahahaha!

message 38: by Kirk (last edited Apr 12, 2018 03:49AM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments J. W. wrote: "I am surprised Kirk didn't choose a photo of his bike... that would be cool."
That close to finally being cool...drat! However, GF's cat tops bike. However, the bike might make an appearance soon... purrhaps to honor a certain event. Thanks for the idea!!!!

message 39: by J. W. (last edited Apr 12, 2018 04:22AM) (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments No problem... perhaps... at another time... cat on bike... just a thought. The best of both worlds. Bwahahaha!!

message 40: by J. W. (last edited Apr 24, 2018 08:09PM) (new)

message 41: by Sophia (new)

Holly cow, Jeanne!

Those are all huginormous. I think you get the t-shirt this month. ;)

message 42: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments I'll take it. Whew! I'll be more careful with my list in the future. What was I thinking? LOL! I'm glad to get them off my shelf. Until next time.

message 43: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments It looks like it was a good journey Jeanne

message 44: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Thanks for picking them for me Tlotem. I am glad to get them off my list... I can take a breather before I tackle her other two. They go on the list next. I'm a glutton for punishment.

message 45: by Tlotem (new)

Tlotem | 30 comments Smiling! Take a big break before going back to it!

message 46: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments Vaarin wrote: "Anji:
I pick 6, Dreams and expectations by Wendi Sotis because I really liked it."

Hi. A bit late, I know, but I've just finished Dreams and eXpectations. Thanks for picking it for me, Elin. And no, that isn't a typo with the capital X. It was the X choice for my own alphabet challenge, as I don't have any titles beginning with that letter.

Can't give it more than ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️, as I thought it was a wee bit slow at times and could have done with a bit more editing, but having said that, it was a pretty good read and I'd recommend it to anyone else who hasn't read it yet.