The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Who do you think is going to die in Avengers Infinity War and in what order

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christos (new)

Christos | 175 comments First I think Iron Man is going to die, then Thor, Vision and then Captain America. They've confirmed that IM and Cap are coming back for the sequel but I think it's just going to be the time gem letting them say goodbye before they die permanently

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1133 comments Personally I’m hoping that Dr Strange dies, although tbh that’s mostly because I don’t like Cucumber Bandersnatch in the role.

message 3: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3597 comments Mod
Christos wrote: ".....before they die permanently "

There's no such thing as permadeath for Marvel or DC superheroes ;-)

message 4: by Trike (last edited Mar 17, 2018 05:35AM) (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Christos wrote: ".....before they die permanently "

There's no such thing as permadeath for Marvel or DC superheroes ;-)"

Or any main characters, really. Even Gwen Stacy and Uncle Ben have come back.

Although, it remains to be seen if that’s the case in the MCU. Coulson came back... maybe. (view spoiler)

I kind of think that the core Avengers will survive and that Vision will die, and maybe Scarlet Witch. Loki is a solid contender, too.

Of course, with both the Soul Stone and the Eye of Agamotto in play, anything can be reversed.

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1152 comments I think Cap and Iron Man. That part of the latest trailer where Cap is holding off Thanos' hand reminds me of (view spoiler)

message 6: by Rick (last edited Mar 17, 2018 10:32AM) (new)

Rick | 2866 comments For the MCU I don't think they can play the undo card too much and esp not at a large scale level.

If nothing, not death, not the destruction of worlds has any real consequence there's no tension, no purpose. It's kind of necessary in comics since they last for decades and you need resets but the movies don't and I think movie audiences will drift away from the MCU if the endings become, effectively, "...and then they woke up and it was all a dream."

All that said... they can't have the same actors in this roles for 15, 20 years. At some point Downey will just look too old to credibly be Iron Man, etc. So... I can see them killing IM off, perhaps Thor and Cap, if not in this one, in the second chapter (they're still splitting Infinity War in two, right?).

message 7: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Depending on how much they follow the comics, conceivably most of them could die only to come back. Thanos killed off nearly every hero in the Infinity Gauntlet storyline but time reset.

message 8: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1591 comments Could this be an out to reuse the charcters in the near to mid future with different actors? I mean different artist have drawn the different charters different ways over the years. We've had how many different actors play Batman. Why not "Doctor Who" some of the charcters a bit (not as drastic as that), and keep some of the younger fresher ones for continuity. Due it in continuity (unlike Batman) and have a plot point for why. Heck you could even get the younger Hemsworth brother to play Thor.

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Mar 17, 2018 09:00PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3597 comments Mod
John (Nevets) wrote: "Heck you could even get the younger Hemsworth brother to play Thor. "

Thor is a woman now in the comics. So many more choices.

message 10: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Rick wrote: "All that said... they can't have the same actors in this roles for 15, 20 years. At some point Downey will just look too old to credibly be Iron Man, etc. So... I can see them killing IM off, perhaps Thor and Cap, if not in this one, in the second chapter (they're still splitting Infinity War in two, right?). "

I’d like to see RDJ end up like Hank Pym (Michael Douglas), the snarky mentor to younger heroes, the way he’s been for Spider-man. In the MCU we’ve already met Dr. Helen Cho, who is the mom of Amadeus Cho in the comics. Amadeus is “the 8th smartest person in the world” and he pals around with Hercules before becoming the next Hulk. (The Totally Awesome Hulk, Volume 1: Cho Time)

Hercules can be the new god to replace Thor, and they can still have a Thor by using the storyline where someone else is deemed worthy to wield the hammer. (view spoiler)

Instead of killing Cap, they can use one of the Infinity Stones to make him go away for a while. Doing a version of the storyline from Captain America, Volume 1: Castaway In Dimension Z, Book One, they can send him... elsewhere. Alien planet, the Quantum Realm (aka Microverse), wherever. Then Steve can make a heroic return at some point in the future. (Maybe even found by Amadeus and Hercules.) That’s a cake-and-eat-it-too scenario. He’s effectively dead, until he’s not.

John (Nevets) wrote: "Could this be an out to reuse the charcters in the near to mid future with different actors?"

The de-aging CGI is getting so good that in 10 years the same actors can still play the characters. Having Cap come back from Dimension Z in 12 years and still look the same as Chris Evans does now will be doable.

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1133 comments Trike wrote: "Rick wrote: "All that said... they can't have the same actors in this roles for 15, 20 years. At some point Downey will just look too old to credibly be Iron Man, etc
The de-aging CGI is getting so good that in 10 years the same actors can still play the same characters

Tbh I find those CGI facelifts creepy and weird looking. I’d much rather have a grizzled Chris Evans!

Elsewhere I’ve seen rumours about Bucky (Sebastian Stan) possibly taking over the shield and becoming the new Captain America. I think in at least one continuity in the comics Cap is actually Sam Wilson.

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 329 comments I think most will die (like in the comic or Days of Future Past film), then the Infinity Guantlet will reverse the effects. This will make the true sacrifices of Captain America, Vision, Hawkeye, and Teen Groot that much more painful. It will also allow Sam Wilson to be Captain America (No way they pick Bucky in this day and age), Thor can be the king of Asgard, and Stark can be the money man who offers quips, but never suits up.

message 13: by Rick (last edited Mar 19, 2018 10:26AM) (new)

Rick | 2866 comments On de-aging... aside from the creepiness factor, some of the actors simply may not want to play these characters for the next 10-20 years.

Thor and Iron Man can become new people because in the former case it's partly whoever can wield the hammer gets his power and in the latter, it's the suit that makes the character powerful. With Stark retired he can still contribute tech or you have Shuri from Black Panther.

For other characters, a transition is harder. Hulk? Banner's powers were a result of a specific accident. Spidey, same. Even setting aside the ethics of subjecting someone to those on purpose, it feels weird to build a mythology that says "hey, anyone we subject to this stuff will become the Hulk (or Spiderman)" especially in a world where they never have duplicated the formula that gave us Cap.

Rewinding time... I seriously hope they minimize this or don't use it. It's incredibly bad storytelling to be able to undo anything since it robs events of their meaning. Say Cap sacrifices himself for some reason. That has impact because Cap's *dead*. We mourn his loss, we feel it like a gut punch. Rewind... Cap's alive again? All of the weight and nobility of the sacrifice is meaningless now. Don't worry about Cap dying, we can get him back, easy peasy.

People who are into the comics really need remember that the MCU fans are mostly people who've never read the comics or read them only lightly and that comics and movies are different media. What works there or might even be necessary there doesn't necessarily map to the movies

message 14: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Rick wrote: "Rewinding time... I seriously hope they minimize this or don't use it. It's incredibly bad storytelling to be able to undo anything since it robs events of their meaning. ."

As with anything, if it’s done well then it isn’t a problem. In Superman: The Movie it was done very badly. In Dr. Strange it was used terrifically. In X-Men: Days of Future Past it was okay, but pretty clunky.

I certainly don’t envy the Russos and team, because finding a way through the minefield of a story with items that can be classified as omnipotent makes it difficult to tell a satisfying tale. The Reality Stone is a Do Anything button. The Time Stone is a cosmic Do Over button.

The only person I *don’t* want to see die is Everett Ross. I didn’t realize until I saw him in Black Panther how much I was missing that Joe Everyman quality that Coulson had to ground the Avengers and give us something relatable to compare and contrast the superheroing against.

message 15: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2866 comments I agree Strange used it well. It CAN be done well, but it is really easy to sap the story of any tension if you lose/people die and you just hit rewind.

I agree on the power of the stones - it's a real issue. Constraints are a real help and removing them can be a problem.

message 16: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Coincidentally, Syfy is playing Superman: The Movie and the reversing time bit is showing right now. So lame.

message 17: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1133 comments Trike wrote: "Rick wrote: "Rewinding time... I seriously hope they minimize this or don't use it. It's incredibly bad storytelling to be able to undo anything since it robs events of their meaning. ."

The only person I *don’t* want to see die is Everett Ross

Yeah, agreed about the rewinding time thing. Tricky. The only time I can think of when it’s been done well is in Galaxy Quest.

For me Everett Ross was the weak link in Black Panther - I’ve had enough of Martin Freeman’s perpetually befuddled schtick. I don’t especially want him to die in Infinity War but it wouldn’t bother me much if he did!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 403 comments Trike wrote: "Coincidentally, Syfy is playing Superman: The Movie and the reversing time bit is showing right now. So lame."

Are you kidding? That was awesome! Everyone knows you can reverse time if you just spin the Earth backwards a few times. Either that or pilot your starship close to the sun like they did in Star Trek 4.

message 19: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Randy wrote: "Trike wrote: "Coincidentally, Syfy is playing Superman: The Movie and the reversing time bit is showing right now. So lame."

Are you kidding? That was awesome! Everyone knows you can reverse time if you just spin the Earth backwards a few times."

You jest but I did rewatch that scene and one of the things fanboys have always maintained is that Superman doesn’t actually spin the Earth backwards, it’s just a visual representation of him traveling back in time. Since I haven’t seen the movie in decades I was halfway persuaded by that fanon.

Nope.

He actually spins the Earth backwards to reverse time. When he gets to the moment he wants, he then stops its rotation and then goes back the other way to get the planet spinning the right way and start time up again. It’s pretty clear that he is removed from the timeline on Earth as everything reverses. It’s exactly as dumb as it seems.

I get where they’re coming from: since nothing else in the movie makes sense why should this? I think it’s an excellent illustration of how you can go too far with your fantasy world, pushing what the audience will accept until their willing suspension of disbelief breaks. That said, the breaking point is different for everyone. In Honey, I Shrunk the Kids my brother was fine with them being an eighth inch tall but when they befriended the ant that broke the movie for him. He loudly declared in the theatre, “Ants don’t act like that!” Some people are fine with Superman spinning the Earth backwards. Others balk at the very idea of a flying man.

Randy wrote: "Either that or pilot your starship close to the sun like they did in Star Trek 4. "

In that case, isn’t the rule in the Trek universe that they need a gravity well + high speed to create a time warp? A planet isn’t big enough but a star is. That’s why they have to fly really close to the sun. I want to say it was established in the TOS episode where they end up back in the 60s... Gary Seven, maybe?

It doesn’t make any sense either, but at least they are taking a stab at putting limitations and rules for it, and it’s one of the few times Trek was internally consistent.

message 20: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2866 comments I don't really care about the mechanism for reversing time. I mean, they all ask us to accept something that's ridiculous on the face of it. Hell, the Time Gem is basically "because it works that way".

My worry is that they over-use the fact that they can reverse time at all as a get-out-of-consequences card.

In many ways I think the whole Infinity stones thing is a mistake in the MCU. Face it, the Avengers can conceivably go up against some Uber-powerful guy like Thanos... but with these in-universe we now have something that the Avengers and any other hero of that scale is powerless against... things that can remake or unmake reality.

message 21: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1152 comments If they're smart then they will destroy or banish to another universe or something the gems at the end of it all to avoid the issue in the future MCU movies.

message 22: by Rick (last edited Mar 19, 2018 08:21PM) (new)

Rick | 2866 comments The stones can't be destroyed. http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia....

Banished... maybe.

message 23: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Rick wrote: "I don't really care about the mechanism for reversing time. I mean, they all ask us to accept something that's ridiculous on the face of it. Hell, the Time Gem is basically "because it works that w..."

That’s why the limitations are so important. Infinity stones can’t be held by mortals, which means only a select few can use them. Even then most characters are sensibly afraid of the power.

We saw the tesseract (apparently) burn up the supersoldier Red Skull, and he was only touching the container. The Collector’s assistant exploded spectacularly, destroying half his collection in the blast. The stronger-than-Thor Ronan held it for a couple seconds and it nearly killed him.

Peter Quill could only hold it for a short time because his dad is the cosmic entity Ego the Living Planet, and even then he had to share the power with superstrong Gamora and Drax, and cybernetically-enhanced Rocket.

Dr. Strange can’t use the Time Gem without potentially destroying the fabric of space and time, so he only uses it when he’s desperate to stop Dormammu’s dark dimension from eating the Earth, and he only unleashes it in that other universe. The implication at the end is that Dormammu’s power repaired all the damage caused by the Eye of Agamotto.

I don’t think we’ve seen any Asgardians hold a gem, either. The only being we’ve seen do so is Vision, and he’s made from pure vibranium. I suspect that is why he gets killed later in the film, around the same time Dr. Strange gets tortured.

The trailers show the gauntlet several times, but it only ever has two stones, the one Loki has and the one held by the Nova Corps. (Implying that Thanos blows up Zander early on, probably in the opening scene, setting the stakes for Earth.) Maybe Thanos kills Loki, but I’d bet Loki just gave it up to save his own skin. Oh, Loki.

All of that means no Avenger can just sling one of these things around without dire consequences, and I’m guessing the movie ends on a cliffhanger where Thanos gets the stones from Vision and Strange, who probably fail to fully utilize their gems.

The Russo brothers are smart enough to know all this. As soon as I saw the opening scene of Winter Soldier (“On your left”) I knew we were in good hands. I think they’ll do okay.

message 24: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4072 comments Trike wrote: "Infinity stones can’t be held by mortals, which means only a select few can use them."

But...Pip...Gamora...and Drax was resurrected but still mortal. Or is the MCU just throwing all the comics continuity away?

message 25: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2866 comments "All of that means no Avenger can just sling one of these things around without dire consequences,.."

I wasn't clear I think...It's not that I see any mortal using these, it's that the Avengers can't really oppose any being who can use them and has them. It's a scale of threat problem. Yeah, they're powerful in relation to humans, but in relation to things that can remake or alter reality itself.... they're fleas.

message 26: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Trike wrote: "Infinity stones can’t be held by mortals, which means only a select few can use them."

But...Pip...Gamora...and Drax was resurrected but still mortal. Or is the MCU just throwing all..."

There’s continuity in comics?

message 27: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Rick wrote: ""All of that means no Avenger can just sling one of these things around without dire consequences,.."

I wasn't clear I think...It's not that I see any mortal using these, it's that the Avengers ca..."

I was picking up what you were laying down, brother.

I was just thinking out loud about how there are built in limitations to these things that can be used as legit escape clauses. I’m glad it’s not my job to do so, because these types of things can really paint you into a corner.

As the saying goes, if you have a magic wand in your toolbox, why do you need all those other tools?

message 28: by Rick (last edited Mar 20, 2018 05:37PM) (new)

Rick | 2866 comments Wait, I have a magic wand? What the hell?

I'm sure the Russos have thought all of this through in way more detail than I. It will be interesting to see how they solve this one if not in this movie, in the next. The problem is that the explanation in Wikipedia makes the story sound... silly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinit...

message 29: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Trike wrote: "I kind of think that the core Avengers will survive and that Vision will die, and maybe Scarlet Witch. Loki is a solid contender, too."

Trike wrote: "Maybe Thanos kills Loki, but I’d bet Loki just gave it up to save his own skin. Oh, Loki."

So, about my predictions.... (Don’t read this until after you’ve seen the movie. Seriously. See it cold.)

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments

The most gruesome death in Avengers: Infinity War was the DCEU.

— Trike (@Trike) April 29, 2018

message 31: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1645 comments Ouch LOL