Start by marking “The Totally Awesome Hulk, Vol. 1: Cho Time” as Want to Read:
The Totally Awesome Hulk, Vol. 1: Cho Time

The Totally Awesome Hulk, Vol. 1: Cho Time

(The Totally Awesome Hulk (Collected Editions) #1)

There's a brand-new Hulk in town, and his name is Amadeus Cho! Get ready for gamma-fueled entertainment as the kid genius decides he's gonna be the best Hulk ever -and just possibly brings the entire world crashing down into chaos! Cho is taking on the biggest monsters in the Marvel Universe, but can he handle the danger posed by Lady Hellbender? What will She-Hulk and Spi ...more
Published July 26th 2016 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Totally Awesome Hulk, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Totally Awesome Hulk, Vol. 1

Start your review of The Totally Awesome Hulk, Vol. 1: Cho Time
Anne
Oh! Oh! I have a cool idea!
I think Marvel should replace all of their main characters with other characters.
Like, instead of Scarlet Witch being Wanda Maximoff, maybe Tony Stark can get sucked up into a skybeam, spit out with All-New All-Different chaos magic, & be the new Scarlet Witch? M.O.D.O.K. as the new Vision? Or how 'bout Peter Parker gets hit by a lightening bolt, and takes over as the new Storm?!
Me + Ideas = AWESOME!!!
Pretty sure the fans will love it...

description

Ok, so the premise here is that
Sam Quixote
Amadeus Cho is the Totally Awesome Hulk who’s also totally in control when he’s the big green giant - but what happened to Bruce Banner? Also an alien monster collector called Lady Hellbender wants to add Hulk to her collection while Enchantress wants to enlist Hulk to fight for her in the War of the Realms storyline currently playing out in Jason Aaron’s Thor.

Greg Pak, probably the best known Hulk writer of the modern era having written Planet Hulk and World War Hulk, returns to the character
James DeSantis
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The story was okay. But I do love Cho, he's awesome.

So this is much more upbeat and fun then what you expect from most Hulk titled comics. The fights are still epic level of huge monsters, earthquake like attacks, and badass moments. However the rest is filled with comedy that actually works (mostly thanks to Cho/Miles) and this is the first ongoing Hulk title I'll probably keep up.

The story itself is okay. Some Pokemon catching them all creatures if you can type story. It has a lame villain b
Chad
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The series was OK. I like Amadeus Cho as Amadeus Cho, boy genius. He doesn't need to be "the strongest one there is" too. He's written here as being very arrogant and way too bro-tastic. Having Frank Cho come in and draw Hulk fighting Kaiju was a great idea. It's definitely playing to his strengths. The series had it's moments and great art, but hopefully Pak will write Amadeus to make him less unbearable in the future.
Jesse A
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun if mostly silly. Not great but more or less entertaining.
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
I wanted to like this more than I did but unfortunately, Amadeus appears to be the only one of the relaunched ANAD heroes I'm just not fond of.

Okay, so I'll start with what I like about this series.

Pros:
I loved Maddy and She Hulk in this book! Maddy was brilliant, protective and funny. I would be interested in reading more of her in another series. Like perhaps I get my dream team and Marvel puts together a team of badass female scientists with Valeria Richards, Lunella Lafayette, Maddy C
Scott
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Totally Awesome Hulk? More like 'totally awesome book!'

Among the household-name superheroes I have never given Hulk a lot of attention. That may change after reading Vol. 1: Cho Time. Having a nineteen year-old super-genius (who is clearly still in the throes of lingering adolescence) taking over for Bruce Banner, with "mission control" assistance from his equally-smart younger sister (in the form of robo-drone 'Kegger'), was inspired fun as was the zippy, bickering banter. It's not really a
Paul E. Morph
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'll be honest; when I first heard (on the Internet, of course, as it is virtually impossible to avoid spoilers these days) that Amadeus Cho was going to be the new Hulk after Secret Wars I was disappointed. Greg Pak has finally manoeuvred his ultimate Mary Sue character into the primo spot in the Hulk world. Not only is Cho smarter than everyone else, he's now stronger than everyone else too. 'Tis to sigh.

I read the book with low, low, low expectations and, wonder of wonders, actually found mys
Chris Lemmerman
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
[Read as single issues]

Greg Pak will probably go down in history alongside Peter David as the best modern day Hulk writer. Many have tried to follow him, but even the brilliant Mark Waid doesn't seem to get these characters the way Pak does. So of course, with a Pak-created character like Amadeus Cho becoming the new Hulk, having Pak come back makes total sense.

Pak's take on Cho has always been definitive, and the addition of his sister Maddy brings some hilarity to the proceedings too. How Amad
Blindzider
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I'm going to try very hard to ignore the fact that this is yet another classic character that now has a doppleganger and evaluate the book on it's own.

This is obviously a younger, hipper(?) Hulk whose main goal is to be a Hulk that everyone likes and never loses control. Over the course of this trade you learn just how he obtained the Hulk, understand his goal, and learn that he may not have as much control as he thinks. I've never really read any stories with Amadeus and Pak makes it clear that
David Watson
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally awesome!!!!

I picked this book up off of Amazon Prime on an impulse. The Incredible Hulk has always been my favorite comic book character. This looked like a fresh look at an old Marvel institution so I had to take a look and wasn't disappointed. I love the concept of AmadeusCho as the new hulk and his braniac sister as the one who gives him advice and acts as the leader of the duo. This book has great art, fun story ideas, a good sense of humor. I also enjoyed the appearances of Iron Man
Rick
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's Cho Time! Best freaking Chulk ever! Ok, ok, I've been a fan of Amadeus Cho ever since his first appearance (recently reprinted in Amadeus Cho: Genius At Work) and have followed him from Hulk to Hercules and now ... it's Cho Time! Oh wait, been there done that.
Great character, fun art and an imaginative and long needed reworking of the Hulk concept. Frell, this is actually such a fun book. It's great to have someone who just loves being the Hulk and can control himself, and hasn't lost his
John
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Must say the artwork was a bit cartoony in this one.The Totally Awesome Hulk isnt the Hulk i grew up with but im sure i could get used to him.The angle of his sister being his partner in crime really didnt do it for me.Seeing the female Thor plus She-Hulk and Spidey was cool as was Lady Hellbender.Not something i would collect but i will check out the next volume in hopes it picks up.
Julio Bonilla
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
What are you made of, Hulk?

It’s my first time reading Amadeus Cho AKA The Totally Awesome Hulk, who is Korean. #Equality I liked the hi-tech lingo, but... even Iron Man is part of story.I’ll definitely read the next volumes!

Caron
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This was a pretty good start. Looking forward to continue this series.

Review to come soon.
jordan
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A tad melodramatic at times, and I’m not sure why the plot is propelled by “an alien lady landing on earth with ulterior motives involving Amadeus” like, 3 separate times. That being said, the art is pretty easy on the eyes and the plot is structured to flow at a reasonable pace, so it’s not too bad.
Dorkthropology
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I've never read any Hulk and only vaguely know of Amadeus Cho, but an Asian American lead with a AsAm team caught my interest enough to give this a go.

A lot of it is pretty standard--Cho mostly comes off as a stereotypical impulsive distracted-by-sex argues-with-sister teenage boy with only a few moments of something different. He fumbles around with power and responsibility he's not used to, punches lots of things, and generally thinks being Hulk is totally awesome. Nothing groundbreaking going
David
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I was a HUGE fan of Pak earlier run on Hulk so I've anxiously awaiting this return. I was also delighted to hear that Amadeus Cho was to be the new Hulk. He was a fun side-kick for both Hulk and Hercules. So of course I had piled on to this simple little book completely unreasonable expectations... and I was disappointed with what the book had to offer.

If you're looking for a dumbed down new Hulk doing a monster fight with pretty pictures by Cho for a few issues. Then this book is okay. The bac
Alex Sarll
Korean-American teen genius Amadeus Cho gets his turn with the gamma powers, because diversification and also because the rest of Banner's supporting cast had already had a go. The central Hulk as puberty metaphor is inspired (because it is a time when even the smartest guy in the room, or the seventh smartest guy on Earth*, will start acting like a tool around attractive women, or finding his temper hard to keep in hand), and beyond the pleasing coincidence of names Frank Cho's art gives it all ...more
Renata
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
mmm I mean, look, I'm super glad in terms of representation that there's a new Asian-American Hulk, and theoretically it's interesting to have a Hulk who's super enthused to be Hulk and can more or less control his Hulk powers. But it turns out I'm kind of ride or die for sadsack Bruce Banner so this book wasn't really for me.

Also like, I get it, he's a horny teenage boy, but I'm not so like I was like calm down Amadeus, we get that you have a crush on every girl. Not necessarily a flaw though,
Shane
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before I get to the bad, let me start with the good: I really like the new take on the Hulk. I very much enjoy the direction they're taking it. I think the main focus of the series will be the struggle of being better than Banner, and keeping the Hulk in check. I think Cho is an excellent character and well deserving of the title "Totally Awesome".

With that said, I think with this book in particular, there are some flaws. First and foremost, the campy, keeping-up-with-the-kids lingo that Marvel
James
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
It wasn't totally awesome, but it was pretty dang cool. This is your fun, colorful, zany kind of comic. It's not too silly, though. Amadeus is the new Hulk, and he seems like a bit of a chuckle-head, considering he's supposed to be one of the smartest people on the planet. He's kind of a young horn-dog. Frank Cho can really deliver as a comic book artist, and I think that's what makes this pretty close to "totally awesome."
Trike
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fun lark of a book, not too heavy, but still evoking a smidgen of that ol’ Hulk angst. I do like how Pak has leaned into the hubris of genius and the brash overconfidence of youth to give a new spin on the usual “man or monster” tale we get from Hulk stories.
Brent
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators and Marvel superheroes
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators and Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
Big fun!
So, Amadeus Cho makes for a super-charming Totally Awesome Hulk. Writer, Greg Pak, and artists Frank Cho and Mike Choi rock this book.
Highly recommended.
Sharlene
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, library, 2019
Ok best Hulk ever.

(Admittedly also the only Hulk comics I have ever read because, well, Hulk has never interested me before.)

Actually I think it works great because of his sister Maddy and the presence of She-Hulk!
Martin
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The idea of a genius Hulk was great, too bad Frank Cho wasn't there for the 5th and 6th issues.
Murphy
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amadeus is a character I hadn't heard of until more recently, but I immediately liked him and decided to see if the Totally Awesome Hulk comics lived up to the name.

Luckily they do by being high energy and humorous, while still having enough emotional tug to be meaningful without becoming cruelly depressing like some other Hulk comics are.

Amadeus is one of the smartest people on the planet and possesses positive traits including charisma and cleverness along some less positive ones such as being
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it

This was pretty good. It's lighthearted and funny with good action. One of the most interesting parts about this arc for me was actually the slowly-revealed story of how the torch was passed from Bruce to Amadeus. I was particularly amused by the fact that the (new "totally awesome") Hulk's ("Chulkie") sister's support/tech vehicle is also an Asian fusion food truck, and that Amadeus's fitness tracker bracer shows the weather in Cupertino. I didn't love this, but more so because it's no
John Wiswell
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
It's been fun watching Greg Pak develop Amadeus Cho, the super-genius kid who always believed Hulk was better than the rest of the world said. Once Cho was a fugitive supporter of Hulk; later he was a heroic partner to Hercules; today, he's irradiated himself and is trying to live up to the legend of the Hulk that he always believed in. He's going to make the legend Totally Awesome (TM).

The most interesting part of the book is how Cho's psyche handles the powerful duality. Where Banner merely tu
Adam Fisher
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amadeus Cho is Hulk? How did that happen? if you are asking yourself that question, the answer is here. Before we get it, we learn a little something about the "Totally Awesome Hulk". Cho sees his internal life like driving a car... usually he's driving with "Hulk" in the trunk, manifesting as regular normal Amadeus; often drives with "Hulk" in the backseat, manifesting as Hulk, but in full control of his actions and speech; but occasionally "Hulk" takes the wheel and drives, manifesting as a fu ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Unworthy Thor
  • Superman, Volume 1: Son of Superman
  • Spider-Man: Reign
  • Champions, Volume 1: Change the World
  • Immortal Hulk Vol. 1 (Immortal Hulk (2018-))
  • The Irredeemable Ant-Man, Vol. 1: Low-Life
  • Guardians of the Galaxy/All-New X-Men: The Trial of Jean Grey
  • X-23: The Complete Collection, Vol. 1
Greg Pak is an award-winning Korean American comic book writer and filmmaker currently writing "Ronin Island" and "Firefly" for BOOM and “Star Wars: Darth Vader" and "Atlantis Attacks" for Marvel Comics. Pak wrote the "Princess Who Saved Herself" children's book and the “Code Monkey Save World” graphic novel based on the songs of Jonathan Coulton and co-wrote (with Fred Van Lente) the acclaimed “M ...more

The Totally Awesome Hulk (Collected Editions) (4 books)
  • The Totally Awesome Hulk, Vol. 2: Civil War II