PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [Copy Cat Challenge] > April Copy Cat Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Apr 10, 2018 05:43AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Update #1: Participants have been Paired up - see message #16 below
Update #2: Summary of books chosen - see message #52 below
-----------------------
Duration: April 1-30, 2018
Partner pairings announced: Mar 31/Apr 1 (announced in this thread)

For FULL details of how the copy cat challenge works, please visit the 'About Copy Cat Challenge' post here...

SUMMARY:
In this challenge, participants are paired up to choose and read a book from their partner's read shelf, and compare how they each rated the book. It's a fun way to discover new books, to read from different genre(s), to connect with group members, and to find new PenPals. This challenge repeats monthly, and you sign-up separately for each month you wish to participate.

COMPLETING THE CHALLENGE
- Week 1: Review your paired partner's 'Read shelf' and choose a book(s) to read. Post to this thread to update your partner on the book chosen. (You can ask them for suggestions too!)
- Week 1-4: Begin reading, and post any updates/thoughts as you read.
- Week 3-4: Complete your read, and post to the thread with final thoughts on the book and comparing how you and your partner each rated the book.

Participation = Post to thread (book choice), Read book, Post to thread (finished book thoughts)

NOTE:
- Please only sign-up for the month if you are confident you have time to choose and read a book. If you are no longer able to participate after signing up, that's ok, but please notify us in the thread, so we can re-match, and no-one is left partner-less for the month!
- Remember to re-visit this thread on April 1st to see who you have been paired up with for the month (adding a calendar reminder helps!)

message 2: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments *{raises hand}*

message 3: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Sign me up!

message 4: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments COunt me in :)

message 5: by V-Rons (new)

V-Rons (chamel_leon) I'm in!!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann | 38 comments I’m in!

message 7: by Mishika (new)

Mishika (mishikasingh) | 21 comments Encore!

message 8: by Missy (new)

Missy (Purplemadness) | 31 comments I'm in! 😎

message 9: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments I would like to join!

Katelin (Dollis Marry~) (hydeist) | 11 comments ^^ I'm in~

message 11: by Taylor (new)

Taylor ♛ (taykaytee) | 0 comments I'm in!

message 12: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Please sign me up again!

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (bookendeavors) Sign me up!!!

message 14: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) Ooh I'll have a go at this! Sign me up please!!

message 15: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Here are the pairings for April:

Mishika & DollisMarry
Jazzy & Kristina
Mion & V-Rons
Annie & Afa
Amber & Rachel Reads
Ann & Missy
Taylor & Chloe

Each name above links to the individual’s profile page, where you will browse their ‘read shelf’ and choose your book to read. WELCOME to the members who are new to this challenge: V-Rons, Kristina, DollisMarry,Taylor,Rachel Reads,Chloe

Completing the Challenge:
Week 1: Visit your paired partner’s profile page to browse their ‘Read’ Shelf and choose the book(s) you’d like to read in March. Post a comment in the thread to let your partner know what you’ll be reading.
Week 1-4: Begin reading, and post any updates/thoughts as you read.
Week 3-4: When you finish your book, post a comment with your final thoughts, and comparing how you and your partner each rated the book.

**** If you can no longer participate for this month, please message me or update the thread as soon as possible, so we can arrange a re-match, and no one is left without a partner! ****

You can view FAQ's in the ‘About Copy Cat Challenge’ thread here…

Happy reading!

message 16: by Tiina (last edited Apr 01, 2018 04:47AM) (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Awesome! I browsed V-Rons' read shelf and saw Ready Player One on it, so I'll see if I can get it! Since it's currently in the cinemas here, maybe it will motivate me to go see it as well!

message 17: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Mion wrote: "Awesome! I browsed V-Rons' read shelf and saw Ready Player One on it, so I'll see if I can get it! Since it's currently in the cinemas here, maybe it will motivate me to go see it as..."

Ooh, I hope you enjoy it Mion! I loved that book..and I'm going to the movie today, woohoo!! I heard the movie's got quite a number of differences... so I think it's a good one to 'read the book first ' :)

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (bookendeavors) Yay! I looked through Amber’s read shelf, and I’m choosing The Raven Boys, it’s been on my TBR wayyy too long. She read all the books so lm thinking she liked it! I’ll start it in the next week or two 😊

message 19: by Taylor (new)

Taylor ♛ (taykaytee) | 0 comments I looked through Chloe's read shelf, and I'll be reading Unearthly!

Katelin (Dollis Marry~) (hydeist) | 11 comments I looked through Mishika's books and decided to read "The Girl with the Green Tinted Hair" as well as "The Hate U Gave" ^^

message 21: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Dear Kristina,
As your copy cat challenge partner for the month of April showers (and although it is raining at the moment, the forecast today calls for 100% chance of snow until 9pm tonight) I have carefully perused all your books, not once, nor twice but three times and selected The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry as I bought it from someone on the internet back in December but hadn't even cracked the cover.

It's time now. It's time. Harold Fry, I'm joining you on your pilgrimage.

Sincerely yours,

Jazzy

message 22: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Rachel Reads wrote: "Yay! I looked through Amber’s read shelf, and I’m choosing The Raven Boys, it’s been on my TBR wayyy too long. She read all the books so lm thinking she liked it! I’ll start it in the next week or ..."

Yes, that is a great one! And I first read it as a selection for this same challenge.

I haven't looked through yours yet, will do that this evening :)

message 23: by Tiina (last edited Apr 02, 2018 08:43AM) (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments This is quite incredible, so I absolutely want to share it with you, guys - I had just left the library in a bit of annoyed mood because Ready Player One was out, when I saw I had a Facebook message beginning with "Congratulations!"

Apparently, I won the book and tickets to see the movie! I guess reading this book was meant to happen!

message 24: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Mion wrote: "This is quite incresible but I absolutely want to share it with you, guys - I had just left the library in a bit of annoyed mood because Ready Player One was out, when I saw I had a Facebook message beginning with "Congratulations!"

Apparently, I won the book and tickets to see the movie! I guess reading this book was meant to happen! "

Wow! Apparently so!

message 25: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Mion wrote: "This is quite incresible but I absolutely want to share it with you, guys - I had just left the library in a bit of annoyed mood because Ready Player One was out, when I saw I had a ..."

That's a great story!!

We saw the movie on the weekend, and I told my kids 'the book is better of course :) ' So now they want to read the book too. But when I went to library, there were literally hundreds of holds on the various formats.. the movie has definitely spiked the interest in the book...

message 26: by Chloe (last edited Apr 02, 2018 09:45AM) (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) Taylor wrote: "I looked through Chloe's read shelf, and I'll be reading Unearthly!"

Oops it took me a little while to get to this, apologies! I can't actually remember reading that so it will be nice to see what you think of it!
I'm going to read Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. It sounds right up my street :)

message 27: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 28 comments Dear Jazzy,

I think you made a great choice with The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I really enjoyed reading of Harold's adventures and all of the interesting characters he meets along the way and I hope you enjoy the pilgrimage with Harold too. From your read shelf I have chosen The Invisible Man. I was torn between several books, but I decided on this book because it is normally something that I would not choose myself. The plot sounds interesting and I am excited to try something new!

Happy Reading,

Kristina

message 28: by Jazzy (last edited Apr 02, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Dear Kristina,

I sincerely hope you will enjoy The Invisible Man. I am intrigued that Harold will be travelling to Berwick as I have been there many times myself and it is roughly an hour's drive for those that own cars, and for those that don't it's 2-3 hours on the bus. Although, I could get a train but that would be ridiculously expensive. My other choice would be to do as Harold and to walk there. Now, whilst I may be able to walk there much more quickly than Harold, as he lives down south, I think it would be a monumental undertaking, seeing as one jolly day I cycled to Gateshead, where I met friends and we went down along the river to South Shields for a spot of lunch, took the ferry to North Shields and then made my way back to Newcastle where I live and it took from about 10 am to well past 7 pm, and people were worrying about where I might have ended up as they were all cosy and had their tea with their feet up by 5 pm.

Enjoy the book, and do come join us on our Olympic Team Reading Challenge. The Chapter Curlers need your help!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

*Turning the page*

Jazzy

message 29: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Mion wrote: "This is quite incredible, so I absolutely want to share it with you, guys - I had just left the library in a bit of annoyed mood because Ready Player One was out, when I saw I had a ..."

Mion, that's stellar! Congratulations!

message 30: by Amber M. (last edited Apr 03, 2018 07:33AM) (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Ok, finally browsed through Rachel's shelf... and have narrowed it down to a handful of choices:

Timekeeper
The Darkest Part of the Forest
Speak
Words in Deep Blue

message 31: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Amber wrote: "Ok, finally browsed through Rachel's shelf... and have narrowed it down to a handful of choices:

Timekeeper
Speak
[book..."

Words in Deep Blue sounds the best if you can locate the book!

message 32: by Mishika (new)

Mishika (mishikasingh) | 21 comments DollisMarry~ wrote: "I looked through Mishika's books and decided to read "The Girl with the Green Tinted Hair" as well as "The Hate U Gave" ^^"

Hey! I hope you enjoy both of them.
I will be finalising my reads once I am able to see your shelf. :p

message 33: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) Taylor wrote: "I looked through Chloe's read shelf, and I'll be reading Unearthly!"

I found Hush Hush in my local library this morning - yay! I can't say I was too impressed with the intro from 1565 because I much preferred when the book shifted to present day. I do hope that the introduction becomes relevant through the book because it was a bit of a random section.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with finding Unearthly, so please let me know!

message 34: by Amber M. (last edited Apr 04, 2018 08:00AM) (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 169 comments Jazzy wrote: "Amber wrote: "Ok, finally browsed through Rachel's shelf... and have narrowed it down to a handful of choices:

Timekeeper
Speak
Words in Deep Blue

Words in Deep Blue sounds the best if you can locate the book! "

Well, I already own it actually - it has been sitting on my To Read list for some time already :P I suppose that would be a good reason to choose that one as well, ha.

Maybe I'll just read them all!

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (bookendeavors) Amber wrote: "Jazzy wrote: "Amber wrote: "Ok, finally browsed through Rachel's shelf... and have narrowed it down to a handful of choices:

Timekeeper
[book:The Darkest Part of the Forest|2095863..."

They’re all great choices!!! Timekeeper is part of a series, I just picked up the second book and can’t wait to read it! The rest are standalones. I wouldn’t blame you for picking more than one 😊

message 36: by Taylor (new)

Taylor ♛ (taykaytee) | 0 comments Chloe wrote: "Taylor wrote: "I looked through Chloe's read shelf, and I'll be reading Unearthly!"

I found Hush Hush in my local library this morning - yay! I can't say I was too impressed with the intro from 15..."

It does become relevant later! I'm curious to see how you like the book. That's a book I read recently. I read the entire series throughout March with a friend, and it was pretty good!

I'm halfway through Unearthly now, and I hope to finish it tomorrow. It's alright so far, and depending on how it ends, I might continue the rest of the series. It's funny how we both ended up picking books about angels!

Katelin (Dollis Marry~) (hydeist) | 11 comments Mishika I'm so sorry! I didn't realize my profile was on friends only (I haven't been on this account for so long... probably since the first year I made it xD) it's fixed now. Also I finished "The Girl with the green Tinted Hair" and I thought it was a very cute short story with some good life advice :3 ~ definitely not something I usually read but I'm glad I did! ^^

message 38: by Mishika (new)

Mishika (mishikasingh) | 21 comments DollisMarry~ wrote: "Mishika I'm so sorry! I didn't realize my profile was on friends only (I haven't been on this account for so long... probably since the first year I made it xD) it's fixed now. Also I finished "The..."

So good to know that. :)
I am yet to decide what I'll be picking up from your shelf. :p

message 39: by Missy (new)

Missy (Purplemadness) | 31 comments Hi Ann!
I picked Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter! I'm really excited because I really enjoyed The Good Daughter.

message 40: by Ann (new)

Ann | 38 comments Missy wrote: "Hi Ann!
I picked Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter! I'm really excited because I really enjoyed The Good Daughter."

Hi Missy!
I really liked Pretty Girls, it was my first of Karin Slaughter's books, but I've been steadily going down her list since that one.

I've decided to read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell from your READ shelf. It's been on my TBR for a while.

message 41: by V-Rons (new)

V-Rons (chamel_leon) I looked through Mion's read book self, and saw the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. My school library order this, I got the book today!! I'll update on how it is after reading!

message 42: by Taylor (new)

Taylor ♛ (taykaytee) | 0 comments I finished reading Unearthly this morning and I enjoyed it! I wanna read the next one now!

message 43: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments V-Rons wrote: "I looked through Mion's read book self, and saw the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. My school library order this, I got the book today!! I'll update on how it is after reading!"

Oohh, great! I hope you enjoy it at least half as much as I did!

message 44: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) I'm quite a way through Hush Hush now, I'm really enjoying it! I've read 200 pages this evening and hoping to finish the whole book by the end of tomorrow!

I'm glad you enjoyed Unearthly!

message 45: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) I just finished Hush Hush and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I enjoyed reading it and loved the romantic elements, but j think there needed to be more depth in places. I know there's 3 more books so I'm definitely going to start looking for the others to see where this story goes.

message 46: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Afa wrote: "Hi Annie!
I've looked through your shelves, and I think I'll go with either the Ghost Bride or Cinder."

Hi Afa,

Ghost Bride was really unique and a bit odd at times but I still enjoyed it and would read it again.

Cinder was quirky and is an easy read and the series as a whole was a lot better than I expected...

I've started browsing your books and will hopefully narrow it down tomorrow :)

message 47: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments I finished reading Ready Player One. V-Rons gave it four stars and so did I. I really enjoyed the second part of the book and I kind of wish the movie had stayed true to the book (but let's face it, it would have been impossible with a book full of so many references)

If I have time, I'd love to tackle Optimists Die First as well

message 48: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Dear Kristina

I have finished reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and gave it 4 stars. The end was a bit flat I felt, although I did enjoy the good days on the road.

Jazzy

message 49: by Annie (new)

Annie | 89 comments Hi Afa,

I have now narrowed it down to either Animal Farm or Pride Prejudice and Zombies!

message 50: by Anne ✨ (last edited Apr 17, 2018 01:49PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Here's a look at the great assortment of books participants have chosen from paired partners 'read shelf' for the challenge this month! ( A few are still choosing - so many good books to choose from!!!!) Happy reading copycats!

The Girl with the Green-Tinted Hair by Gavin Whyte The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Harold Fry, #1) by Rachel Joyce The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Animal Farm by George Orwell Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #1) by Seth Grahame-Smith The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Carry On by Rainbow Rowell Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick

Mishika - (TBC) | DollisMarry - The Girl w/ Green Tinted Hair and The Hate U give
Jazzy - The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry | Kristina - The Invisible Man
Mion - Ready Player One | V-Rons - The Night Circus
Annie - Animal Farm or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies | Afa - Ghost Bride or Cinder
Amber - Words in Deep Blue | Rachel Reads - The Raven Boys
Ann - Carry On | Missy - Pretty Girls
Taylor - Unearthly | Chloe - Hush Hush

« previous 1