Horror Aficionados discussion

Afterage
This topic is about Afterage
Buddy Reads > Buddy Read-AFTERAGE by Yvonne Navarro

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Char (last edited Feb 28, 2018 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Char  | 14538 comments Mod
The Horror Show with Brian Keene Podcast has started a book club and they are currently reading Afterage by Yvonne Navarro to be discussed on their podcast on March 15th.
We can even participate if we like by commenting or asking questions here and they will try to answer them:
https://www.facebook.com/thehorrorsho...

I'm going to be starting in a few days, is anyone interested in joining me? The book is available and affordable here:
https://www.amazon.com/AfterAge-Yvonn...

Latasha (latasha513) | 11083 comments Mod
I just now saw this, how did it go?

I’m still reading it, and it’s good. :)

WendyB  | 3214 comments Mod
I may have to read this, or at least add it to my tbr list. :)
In the V-Wars series, Yvonne Navarro wrote one of the story lines and it was very good. I've been meaning to read something else by her.

I'll buddy read it with you Wendy whenever you want to. I added it to my list.

Latasha wrote: "I'll buddy read it with you Wendy whenever you want to. I added it to my list."

Would starting next Monday work for you?

Umm.. can we wait a week or 2? I have 3 reads going on right now lol.

Latasha wrote: "Umm.. can we wait a week or 2? I have 3 reads going on right now lol."

Sure can. :) Maybe the first week in April? oh geez... this year is going so fast!

Ok that sounds good. Wanna just use this thread?

Ok... if Char doesn't mind we take over her thread. :)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I tore my house apart looking for my copy this weekend but couldn't find it. I did find two different copies of Live Girls by Ray Garton (and I have it on my KindleApp), Perfume by Patrick Suskind & The Bottoms by Joe Lansdale. And that was just the start . . . I need to get organized. If we have a snow day I'll continue my search tomorrow ;)

WendyB wrote: "Ok... if Char doesn't mind we take over her thread. :)"

Of course I don't mind! I'm closing in on the end now and I've really enjoyed it. In a way, it reminded me of Swan Song. Well, at least one character does.

Oh!!! I’m that’s exciting!

I finished it last night. I've been really sick and couldn't even read for a few days because I just couldn't concentrate. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit and gave it 4 stars.

I only mention this in case you guys picked it up at some point-the version I read was in this: A Haunting of Horrors: A Twenty-Novel eBook Bundle of Horror and the Occult.

This volume has 20 horror novels in it and I think it was only $2.99 or something when I bought it. When you search your Kindle library, the individual books contained in this volume do NOT show up. (I bought 2 of these novels again because of that!)
When I started Afterage, I added in all the other books individually with a note that they were included in this volume. I bought A Haunting of Horrors, Volume 2: A Twenty-Book eBook Bundle of Horror and the Occult too, but I still have yet to add the books included within.

That said there did seem to be some errors in it from when it went to a digital edition. There weren't many at first, but there did seem to be more towards the end. Not enough to hinder my enjoyment though.

So sorry you aren't feeling well, Char. :(
Hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks, Wendy. Me too! :(

message 17: by Laurie (last edited Mar 14, 2018 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I hope you're feeling better soon, Char. There's so much crud going around :(

Look, I found my copy of Afterage yesterday! Can I join you guys here next month?

It took me 3+ hours to find it but I found it!! I also found some other really good stuff I forgot I owned. Who needs a bookstore when I have my basement? 😊 pic.twitter.com/QfWnUuH3zN

— barksbknonsense (@barksbknonsense) March 13, 2018

That's cool! :)

I haven’t even got it yet lol!

I got a pretty shirt like that too!

You're plenty welcome to join us Bark! The more, the merrier!

I get the tote bags with the creepy pics. I use them at the bookstores. Good thing I have several totes to carry all the books I bring home. :)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Thanks for letting me bust on in. I'm looking forward to it!

@Latasha I love my shirt. I plan to wear it to scare annoying people away when I'm trying to read ;)

Bark wrote: "Thanks for letting me bust on in. I'm looking forward to it!

@Latasha I love my shirt. I plan to wear it to scare annoying people away when I'm trying to read ;)"

I love that idea!

*reminder*

I started this early. I'll be going and fourth, this one & land of bones for the guest invite read. I'm on chapter 2.
...a strange breakfast, but she liked the garlicky flavor and was sure this was one of the foods eaten in ancient, Biblical times.
What?! Who is she?!

I know, I know! ;)

I'm hoping to start this book on the weekend. I was busy this week and hardly got any reading time at all. No wonder I feel a bit grumpy this morning.

The chapters are short and I haven’t read anything today.

Finally! I'll have some reading time today and I should get this one started... that is, if I don't fall asleep after a big Easter meal. :)

Lol I hear ya! Happy Easter!

I stopped at chapter 15 for now. Not much is going on, I think she's still setting up the characters.

I'm just at Ch 5 but I'm really liking her writing style.

I'm at 20% now and enjoying the story.
Thanks Char for starting this thread. I wouldn't have known about this book otherwise. I've read a few short stories by Navarro in the V Wars series before but hadn't thought of looking up what else she wrote. She's really good. I wish she wrote more like this instead of what I've seen listed by her - books based on tv shows or movies. Not my kinda thing.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Thanks for the reminder. I nearly forgot! With any luck, I'll get started tonight.

I haven’t read in the last few days. It’s been a struggle just to stay awake til bedtime lol!

message 36: by Char (last edited Apr 04, 2018 09:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I really liked it and I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. I wish we could all have read it together. :)

I liked her writing style and I also liked the strong female characters. That was something not often done at the time-and let's face it, there were not many women writing horror at that time either. Plus, I found the concept of (view spoiler) very interesting and original. (Again, for that time, I know it's been done since in movies.)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I'm loving the old style feel of this novel. She's taking her time to set the scene and providing a lot of info. on the characters. So many modern novels rush through this stuff.

Chapter 20- (view spoiler)

Stopping at 46% tonight. The hunters chapter 8.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I got about 6 pages read before falling asleep last night. Not the book, just exhaustion. I volunteer to care for shelter cats and do adoptions after work and they wouldn't let me read last night :) I'll probably finish up on April 30th knowing me.

Bark wrote: "I got about 6 pages read before falling asleep last night. Not the book, just exhaustion. I volunteer to care for shelter cats and do adoptions after work and they wouldn't let me read last night :..."

I didn't know you did that, Bark. That must be tough work-I know that I'd probably end up taking them all home.
I hope you get some rest and reading time this weekend.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Char wrote: "Bark wrote: "I know that I'd probably end up taking them all home. I hope you get some rest and reading time this weekend. ."

That's how I ended up with four :) There's one there now that I want to take home and love but he doesn't like other cats and my husband said NO MORE even though the cats love him more than they love me. I hope to get some reading done tonight or maybe tomorrow but every time I say that it never happens ;)

Me too, Char. I can't have cats because my husband is allergic but I swear if it wasn't for him, I'd be the crazy cat lady in my neighborhood.

I've read the section about how the vampires taking over the world came about and I like the brevity of it. No long detailed section, just (view spoiler)

That is so awesome Bark. Thank you for caring for those babies. I had 2 but Freya passed away recently. It was & is rough. She was 13. I adopted both my babies from a kill shelter and if I ever get more I’ll get them from there and this time I’ll adopt older cat friends.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Freya. I had a couple adopt a 15 1/2 & 17 year old cat a week or so ago. She almost made me cry because it's so hard to adopt those older ones, never mind a pair of them!

That’s wonderful. 🖤

And ty

Chapter 8 @ 46%

(view spoiler)

Chapter 10 @ 49%

(view spoiler)

Starting part 3.
With the characters changing every chapter, I’m forgetting who some of them are.

« previous 1