Start by marking “Afterage” as Want to Read:
Afterage

Afterage

In the bestselling tradition of Salem's Lot, here is an impressive debut novel by an acclaimed author of short horror fiction. A vampire eons old has spread her touch throughout the human population, leaving the streets full of the undead. The survivors band together to fight back in this riveting tale.
Published August 1st 1993 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Afterage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afterage

Char
AFTERAGE was a whole lot of freaking fun!

The vampire apocalypse has already occurred and entire cities have been decimated. With isolated survivors cut off even from each other-how could a premise this good go wrong? The good news is, it didn't.

What I liked most was the...I guess I'll put it as...different levels of vampire. They have differing levels of energy and power. I won't even get into the Queen. (That's what I'm calling her.)

I also liked how the story of each survivor, (or surviving g
Bark
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a book I had kicking around since the 90’s but just got around to reading when my horror loving friend Char created a buddy read at Goodreads.

A vampire apocalypse has occurred. Navarro starts things off after it has happened. The few remaining humans must struggle to survive in a wasteland ravaged by monsters both vampiric and human. And, as usual, the human monsters are always the worst! Only the suicidal dare venture out after dark because the vampires are fast, ravenous and deadly.

T
Elke
I came across this book by accident, browsing the horror shelves of a great little genre bookstore in SF while on vacation. I did not like the flashy cover, though considered up close it really should have appealed to me, being scary and a little gory and all. But the summary had me convinced immediately to buy the novel. At home, I put the book away and did not touch it for some years, always glimpsing the cover and thinking "nah, not now, it's not time yet". So when I was looking for new readi ...more
Latasha
Best vampire book I've read in a while.

I really enjoyed this one! There is a lot of characters to keep up with and I did forget who was who at times but it's worth sticking with it. The story is well written and the characters are great and likable. Around 80/90% the intensity ramps wayyy up. Once you get to that point, plan on finishing it cause you won't be able to put it down.
Chris
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The vampire apocalypse has wreaked havoc across the globe and handfuls of survivors hide out in various locations in an effort to avoid being killed for food...or worse. Set entirely in Chicago, this epic novel follows a group of survivors, who ultimately are brought together and given a chance to hopefully end the vampiric horror that has befallen the world. While the author left a few things for the reader to decide (what was Jo really? and how did Anyelet become what she was?), Navarro's bris ...more
WendyB
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own
Good vampire tale with characters you care about.
Weston Ochse
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book begins with the conceit that the world has already been destroyed by vampires. Sounds like Daybreakers? A little bit, although Afterage was written seventeen years before the movie came out. Although a decent movie, where it fails, Afterage wins, detailing the hard scrabble life of human survivors with aching portrayal. This book was a finalist for the Bram Stoker Award and it's clear why.

Иван Величков
Макар да ми се влачеше необяснимо бавно в първата си половина, в последствие се оказа, че няма нищо излишно в историята. Е, аз бих слял няколко двойки персонажи, за да увелича динамиката, но това е много тенденциозно мнение така и така, но – първа забележка.
Да пишеш във вампирския жанр е чисто литературно самоубийство oт поне тридесет години. Тропите са толкова брутално преексплоатирани, че даже са изгубили първоначалните си замисъл и заряд. Това не спира г-жа Наваро да се хвърли с главата напре
Somer Canon
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can get grumpy with books that feature huge casts of characters, but this story did such a good job of playing with the diminishing orbits of the cast...you knew they were going to crash into each other eventually. Even the ending was satisfying!
Michael
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Scariest vampire novel that I ever read!
 Martin
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yvonne Navarro’s 1993 debut novel AFTERAGE is a well-crafted...

Genesis Blue
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
It took a little bit to get into the story because there are a LOT of different characters. Each has their own storyline in the beginning of the book, which is a little confusing. Fortunately, the names were easy to remember (unlike some books that do the same jumping around thing) and once I'd read a ways, it was not hard to keep them separate. Later, the storylines start to pull together as survivors meet each other and band together or separate.

Basically, the world is overrun by vampires and
Carol Collett
Apocalyptic Vampires Done Right

Hands down the best post apocalyptic vampire story ever. Second only to Bram Stoker’s Dracula as my favorite vampire novel ever. If you’re a writer, this book is a workshop in building suspense and characterization.
Al
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A plague of vampirism has taken over, reducing cities to ghost towns. Chicago, scattered survivors hide, raiding deserted stores for dwindling supplies.A hungry vampire population also struggles for survival as their prey grows scarce, forcing them to capture alive the last remaining humans as breeding stock for the blood farms that will ensure their future. Now a small band of humans makes a desperate last stand against their vampire masters, fighting back with the only weapon that can kill th

Johann
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story Done Right

This is the end of the world thanks to a vampire named Anyelet who has drank her fill. Groups of humans are scattered around waiting to scrounge for resources when the vamps are asleep. But everything changes when a strange 15 year old girl walks around without fear both at night and day. And the vampires are getting as desperate as the humans. Will the earth belong to the vampires that are starving from a dwindling food supply or will the humans find a way to stay at the t
Troy
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good as I remember but....

I really enjoyed revisiting this classic vampire apocalyptic novel. I even got the author to sign my paperback copies at WHC 2015 in Atlanta. But there were a lot of typos that were easy fixes, not the author's fault but the typos unfortunately pull you out of the story frequently.
Kim
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A good story but too many loose ends, vague hints at how it all happened and not enough information about some characters.
Gav Johnson
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Apocalyptic vampires v humans. Great book and story. Good v Evil , fantastic characters and lots of gore.
Jayme
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The book started out a bit slow but began to pick up momentum after the many character introductions. (view spoiler) ...more
Mariarose
Jul 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
Oh man why did I read this? Oh yeah I was searching the Kindle store at midnight and gave myself 1 minute to choose a book. I bought it without reading the synopsis or seeing the cover...I read it because I paid for it.

So the book is about starving vampires in a post-apocalyptic world. There are some human survivors. Stuff happens and then mercifully it is over.

I recommend this book for 17 year old computer guys with acne problems and an interest in video games and/or the apocalypse and/or vam
Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You
another vampire pastiche, but reading it was de rigueur when i wandered aimlessly in my 'love of all books vampire' phase... yep, just bought it because it was about vamps, the cover art wasn't too shabby either, all red-and-toothy-and-flamey doom-inspiring... nothing great, not awful, just a book to read when i needed a distraction from reality...
RJ
This one's not holding my interest; some do, some don't. I've stopped and come back to this novel a couple times to try different mind sets & attention levels; "no joy" as they say. I'm about ready to give up on this one. Back on the shelf for now; try again later.
Crystal
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one took a little bit to really get interesting (maybe 20 pages), but once it did, i could not stop reading...a quick read (despite the 400 page length) due to the fast pace...Really enjoyed this book...an interesting take on vampires...
Travis Nacke
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This bookwas awesoeme! The way it was written, during the day scene from the human perspective and the night from the vampires. It was also nice to have traditional vampires instead of zombies. The atmosphere was very real.
Mandy
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was not great. Maybe I am just tired of the vampire thing but I couldn't wait for it to be over.
William
Post-apocalyptic vampire romp. Us against them, good against evil. How will the fight turn out? It is worth the time vested to read this book and find out.
Nona
Jul 02, 2018
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Gathering Dark (Shadow Saga #4)
  • The Light at the End
  • Wet Work
  • Plague Zone (Plague, #3)
  • The Last Gasp
  • Under the Fang
  • Midnight Mass
  • Vampire Junction
  • Apocalypse End (Reign of the Dead #2)
  • Blood Red (Blood trilogy, #1)
  • Vampyrrhic
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • The Dead
  • Live Girls (Davey Owen #1)
  • Dead Tide (Dead Tide #1)
  • Switched On (The Borrowed World #6)
  • Dark Advent
  • New Zed Order: Survive
Yvonne Navarro is the author of Concrete Savior, Highborn, AfterAge, deadrush, Final Impact, Mirror Me and a bunch of other books, plus Buffy the Vampire Slayer novels and tie-in novels for Hellboy, Elektra, and others."