Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > 2018 Team Competition Tracker/Google Sheet Central

Comments Showing 1-50 of 921 (921 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

message 1: by Rob (last edited Jan 03, 2018 01:40PM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments Hi all,

Main link to the sheet is below. All questions regarding the tracker sheet should be placed here. If you need to be added to the sheet, ditto!

Also follow along here for any updates with respect to the tracker sheet.

Please bookmark this link.

Link to Google Sheet

No need to request access. Everyone has edit access. You are all on the honor system not to make changes to sheets other than your own personal portion of it. However, it does keep track of all changes and I will save a back-up.

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7038 comments Mod
Perfect! Thank you Rob. :)

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
Thank you Rob, it looks great!

message 4: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments Jenna wrote: "Thank you Rob, it looks great!"

message 5: by jess (new)

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Yep, Rob's a Blood Eagle in heart and mind.
#bloodeagled

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Thanks for updating the spreadsheet to include the rules. There are a couple people who put in the largest page count before we changed the rule. We'll give some time for them to see the notification before letting them know/changing it ourselves.

message 7: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Just thought I'd mention in this thread that, if you wait until you are in your tab to make your bookmark the regular way you make a bookmark, you'll open to your tab every time...

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Rob wrote: "Everyone - it is ok to note the books you intend to read into the sheet, but do not enter in the page total until you actually complete the book. Otherwise, the standings become artificially inflat..."

Yes, thank you for adding this.

message 9: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments Sheet tweaked - you may now pre-enter page numbers. They will not be incorporated into the tallies until you enter "date finished" into the new column.

(Thanks to Anni for the suggestion)

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Rob wrote: "Sheet tweaked - you may now pre-enter page numbers. They will not be incorporated into the tallies until you enter "date finished" into the new column.

(Thanks to Anni for the suggestion)"

Great idea!

message 11: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 881 comments Rob wrote: "Sheet tweaked - you may now pre-enter page numbers. They will not be incorporated into the tallies until you enter "date finished" into the new column.

(Thanks to Anni for the suggestion)"

It's still doing my total without a date

message 12: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Rob, this looks amazing. Thank you so much for organising.

message 13: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments hacen -fixed.

message 14: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 881 comments Thank you!

message 15: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments I thought the thing was broken until i read the change log... all sorted now

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Hey guys, lets be careful about the tabs we're updating. I just went in to update the one book I finished and I found that my tab was already update with pages read. I had previously put in a few books I was hoping to read this week just to get them up there but I had left page numbers blank until I finished the book and the numbers were now filled in. Think someone meant to update their own tab maybe? Anyway, just be careful that you're updating your own tab.

message 17: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Someone (not me) probably thought they were being helpful, now that adding page numbers doesn't add points until you put something in the date read tab... or maybe the mods took a pass fixing page numbers for anyone that still hasn't fixed theirs since the most popular edition rule change...

Still a good rule to follow...

message 18: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments Well done, Rob. Thanks for all the work.

message 19: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Hey guys, lets be careful about the tabs we're updating. I just went in to update the one book I finished and I found that my tab was already update with pages read. I had previously put in a few b..."

Mia cupla Diana! When I was going through putting in the new columns I saw you were reading some of the same boosk I'm reading, so I "didja a favor" and put in the same page numbers.

I'll keep my grubby paws off in the future except for formula updates etc.

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian | 883 comments Awesome job Rob!!! Thank you

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Rob wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Hey guys, lets be careful about the tabs we're updating. I just went in to update the one book I finished and I found that my tab was already update with pages read. I ha..."

Oh well thank you then lol. I think I didn't realize that the page numbers no longer count until you put in date read. I didn't want to look like I was cheating by having read all these books that I hadn't finished yet. My bad :-)

message 22: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 881 comments Hey Rob I just noticed the total's off by 0.1 on row 6 and 7 of my score sheet. Could you take a look please?

message 23: by Hacen (last edited Jan 07, 2018 08:13PM) (new)

Hacen | 881 comments Oh wait. Didn't y'all discuss numbers being rounded up some kind of way? I'm sorry to bother you if that's what this is :)

message 24: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments I noticed the same on some of mine. It looks like everything is being rounded up instead of just 5 and up.

message 25: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments I will check by it tomorrow.

message 26: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments book pages are rounded to the nearest tenth. bonus points (buddy and challenge reads) are rounded-up to the nearest tenth. You won't see the rounding take place except in the total points column.

message 27: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Yea... the discrepencies are because bonus points are always rounded up as per the rules, but that is only done in the totals column... the earlier columns just round normally because the 2nd decimal is hidden... you can show a second decimal if you want to avoid confusion, but it causes every cell that uses that cell to start showing an extra 0 decimal spot...

message 28: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments It makes sense and gives the buddy reads/challenges a little extra.

message 29: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 881 comments Thanks for clearing that up 😁

message 30: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments I'm sure i could fix it so that the rounding takes place earlier, but the benefit to work ratio is nil :)

message 31: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments In lighter news, some may note there is a tab called "Julia (unaligned)" all the way at the end. My nine-year-old daughter is jealous and wants to compete, so I gave her a tab (since she has to tally what she reads for school anyway, but is too young to be on social media). Needless to say, she's kicking ass.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Rob wrote: "In lighter news, some may note there is a tab called "Julia (unaligned)" all the way at the end. My nine-year-old daughter is jealous and wants to compete, so I gave her a tab (since she has to tal..."

Omg that's too cute :-D

message 33: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments With Julia's 20 points, we could overtake house of Chains ;)

message 34: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments Iain wrote: "With Julia's 20 points, we could overtake house of Chains ;)"

I just wish I had the time she does to read. She wakes up, she's reading. She's eating, she's reading. Have to ask her 10 times to do anything when she's reading.

Lol, heh, maybe we can add her to our team if others join :P

message 35: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments She doesn't need Bonus Points to compete for the solo leaderboards...

message 36: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Go Julia!!! We are all rooting for her!!! Maybe we could kick in for some sort of reword for the novices in the competition:):):)

message 37: by jess (new)

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments That. Is. Awesome. Go Julia!

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Rob wrote: "Iain wrote: "With Julia's 20 points, we could overtake house of Chains ;)"

I just wish I had the time she does to read. She wakes up, she's reading. She's eating, she's reading. Have to ask her 10..."

OMG, she's my heroine!

message 39: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I’m supporting her to win this competition by herself. Go Julia Go!

message 40: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
That is so sweet.

message 41: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments So far Julia is the only one who have read 7 books. Keep going, Julia. We might all end up Unaligned if this continues....

message 42: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7586 comments Aw man that's amazing! Go Julia! :D

message 43: by Rob (last edited Jan 08, 2018 10:54AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1721 comments You all are great. I will have to share this thread with her today when she gets home from school. I may have to convince her to start blogging reviews of "middle grade" books.

message 44: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I mean she should be a Blood Eagle with her dear old dad... ;)

message 45: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Can we adopt Julia, please?

message 46: by Miche (new)

Miche | 2939 comments Good job, Julia!

message 47: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments Hi Rob,
It looks there is a calc error for the Tome Raiders. The individual scores sums to 113,2 and the total gives us 116,9.
I think Petrik is mentioned twice in the calc. I think that's why.

You can use a sum.if instead of the + from each sheet if you need to make many changes.

message 48: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Lundos is right... the 2nd Petrik is taking G7, which is the page count for one specific book without bonus points...

While we're on the topic, I double checked the rest, and Tania is missing from Blood Eagles totals... and Anne-Marie is spelled Ann-Marie on the scorecard lists, altho she's linked correctly, so I guess it doesn't matter...

message 49: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Just want to show some appreciation for getting this doc up and running!

message 50: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Seán wrote: "Just want to show some appreciation for getting this doc up and running!"

Ditto.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19