Start by marking “The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)

The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #2)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  17,649 Ratings  ·  897 Reviews
Between the seemingly impossible tasks of living up to his warrior-father's legend and surmounting his own physical limitations, Miles Vorkosigan faces some truly daunting challenges.

Shortly after his arrival on Beta Colony, Miles unexpectedly finds himself the owner of an obsolete freighter and in more debt than he ever thought possible. Propelled by his manic "forward m
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published 2003 by Earthlight (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior's Apprentice, please sign up.

Mrs. Miriam You can read and understand this book as a stand-alone, although you may enjoy some of the references to events about his parents if you read…moreYou can read and understand this book as a stand-alone, although you may enjoy some of the references to events about his parents if you read Cordelia's Honor (omnibus with Shards of Honor and Barrayar) first.(less)
R.kerkdyk Take it with a grain of salt, but I would wait a bit with the beginning of the Vorkosigan series. One aspect of the story focuses on the consequences…moreTake it with a grain of salt, but I would wait a bit with the beginning of the Vorkosigan series. One aspect of the story focuses on the consequences of rape. While this is handled appropriately in the books I am not sure a boy would take away the right message from it.
I would rather suggest some lighter science fiction from Heinlein. Tunnel in the Sky comes to mind. Here is a list of Heinleins juveniles:
If Heinlein is not for him perhaps Enders Game or Jannisaries.(less)

Evgeny
Aug 30, 2012 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Review updated on 16.02.2017.

A buddy read with Choko and Maria.

We finally meet the main hero of the series, Miles Vorkosigan. In the beginning of the book he failed his physical test in a military academy - he had a lot of birth defects; their origin was explained in the previous installment. He also happened to be a son and a grandson of great military leaders, as such he was expected to excel in military field and his expulsion from the academy was a huge disappointment for everybody first of
Choko
Feb 14, 2017 Choko rated it really liked it
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with Evgeny and Maria, because we need some FORWARD MOMENTUM in our lives!

I have a new favorite Sci-fi series and this is it! I have been remiss in not picking it up sooner and I am repenting. By reading it a book a week with my friends ☺!

I was already in love with the Count and Countess Vorkosigan and I should have known that their progeny would not disappoint either. After all, Miles Vorkosigan is a combination of their genetic material complimented by the influence of
mark monday
so i was engaging in a favorite pastime on friday night, namely verbal one-upmanship slash sadistically using the power of my oh so mighty intellect to tease my poor innocent friends, when the very drunk birthday boy said "You know you are going to get smacked if you keep on talking like that." i couldn't help myself: i reached up and gave him a very light & friendly tap on the cheek with the palm of my hand while dropping another dazzling bon mot. sadly, in the middle of my witticism, birth ...more
Samir
Feb 14, 2017 Samir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Are you bored? Are you looking at your evergrowing pile of books to read and can’t decide what to read next? Well, let me help you with that, start reading this book and kill two birds with one stone.

It doesn’t matter if you’re not a fan of sci-fi or space operas, this book will give you an opportunity to meet your new favorite character, or at least a new addition to your favorite characters list, Miles Vorkosigan.

If I had to compare Miles to a contemporary fantasy character I would compare hi
Lizzy
Impossible or preposterous are words Miles Naismith Vorkosigan neither understand nor wishes to master. I found The Warrior’s Apprentice incredible, hilarious and poignant all at the same time. With every page turned, you will live a spectacular adventure along with Miles (only offspring of Aral and Cordelia Naismith of Shards of Honor) and a delightful group of supporting characters. It’s a perfect example of Lous McMaster Bujold brilliant, inspired writing.

Instead of suffering and limiting
Caro M.
Dec 07, 2016 Caro M. rated it really liked it
UPDATED 2017.04.02 with Worst Cover Gallery - check down below and feel free to comment! Nature was generous with this one...
__________________________________
I always knew I'll love Miles Vorkosigan. I only met him once and very long time ago in The Mountains Of Mourning and I recall I liked what I read, but it wasn't a full picture. It still isn't one, considering I have whole series ahead, but The Warrior's Apprentice gave me a nice teaser into what I'm going to get on my plate.

Miles Vorkosig
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go.

Is this my favourite book in the Vorkisgan Saga
Maria Dimitrova
Jan 02, 2013 Maria Dimitrova rated it liked it
Shelves: barrayar
Buddy read with Choko and Evgeny.

The first time I read this book I wasn't impressed. I already knew the characters as they appear in later books thanks to the ridiculous way the publishing house in my country had published them. The awkwardness of many of the interactions was off putting and the angst and drama didn't appeal. Over the years I forgot the good parts and when I joined GR and started adding books I gave TWA an unfair rating.

This is still my least favourite book in the series. The a
Becky
Aug 25, 2011 Becky rated it it was ok
*sigh* I really wanted to like this book, but...

Photobucket

(That disappointed baby is effing adorable though, so I guess this review won't be ALL bad.)

Well, it wouldn't be ALL bad anyway. I wanted to like this so much. I liked the idea of this book much more than I liked the actuality of it, actually. I feel like I've been disappointed with almost everything I've read lately, and I was really hoping for this to just wow me, for it to make me want to put everything else on hold and read the series and just
Andreea Daia
I always thought that boys of Miles age (his age as in "The Warrior's Apprentice," that is) are particularly chafing in their self-centeredness, in their self-absorption which prevents them from understanding that their inoffensive acts of "proving themselves" are in actuality harmful to the people they love. Ms. Bujold creates such a believable character that two thirds of the book, I wanted to castigate and point out to him the consequences of his "quest." He is young, consumed by self-doubts ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
Aug 30, 2012 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Forward momentum. That’s the key here. Miles has it. So has this novel. It’s easy to see why this series is such a fan favourite. This is a story that tells itself – the reader is only along for the ride. And it’s a rollicking one too. Not many books have this kind of impeccable pacing.

The story is finely balanced between the scampering plot and the ridiculously good character development of the physically challenged Miles Vorkosigan / Naismith. The supporting cast, though not as thoroughly dev
Milda Page Runner
Apr 06, 2017 Milda Page Runner rated it really liked it
Recommended to Milda by: Samir
RTC maybe, if 'll find more time.

For now I'll just say it's a fun light sci-fi adventure (space opera) and I totally agree with my friends who compare main character Miles to Locke Lamora or Tyrion Lannister.
Stephen
5.0 stars. Absolutely superb introduction to one of the top 10 best SF characters ever created, Miles Vorkosigan. Highly recommended.
Wanda
A rolling stone gathers no moss. Miles Naismith Vorkosigan, with his favourite saying at the ending of the book being “Forward momentum,” will never grow any moss. At the end of Barrayar, Miles is a small, brittle-boned child with a reluctance to sit still and preternatural speed for finding the next predicament to get into. He is able to keep three or four adults hopping and still regularly break his bones while performing these antics.

The Warrior’s Apprentice introduces the reader to Miles, th
Daniel Roy
May 03, 2011 Daniel Roy rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
Having just finished "Shards of Honor" and "Barrayar", I simply couldn't wait to pick up the first book in the Miles Vorkosigan series. Unfortunately for me, it seems Mrs. Bujold has shifted tones when going from Cordelia to her son Miles.

Where Cordelia's novels were sometimes funny, sometimes inclined to the romantic, but as a whole well-crafted and dramatic, "The Warrior's Apprentice" feels more like a running joke. It seems Mrs. Bujold has decided she would show Miles is human by making him w
Jim
Jul 03, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect introduction to Miles. Ruined as his body is, his spry mind & motor mouth take him into & out of the most remarkable situations. His ambitions constantly war with his duties, his world with him, yet he finds answers that work, if not always the ones he wants. Quite possibly the most likable & heroic character, if not figure, in any book that I've had the pleasure of reading.

Of course, the world that Bujold built in the previous books is there to support it & t
Michael
A total delight. A space opera full of comedy while wrapped around tragedy, a social satire, and a coming of age tale. Though third in the Vorkosigan series, it is the first in the series with Miles Vorkosigan as the star. Son of a plantetary Prime Minister, Miles at 17 gets booted out of the Imperial Academy due to limitations of a birth defect affecting his legs and soon finds a secret pathway to fulfill his ambitions for accomplishments while on an interstellar excursion. From a small act of ...more
Kathleen
May 06, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Note: Written in 1986, Bujold includes a hermaphrodite as a major secondary character. What's disturbing is how she refers to Thorne as "it" rather than "he" or "she" or some gender-neutral pronoun. In English, "he" is sometimes used to refer to male or female, but if she doesn't like that, why not invent such a pronoun? It's an invented planet, with invented technology and customs. Each time I read "it" I cringed. It's awkward. I wonder if the author would write it differently today, 27 years l ...more
Jacqueline
May 23, 2017 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, audio
I love Miles. That's all.
John Carter McKnight
Feb 26, 2012 John Carter McKnight rated it it was amazing
You can't step in the same river twice, and this SF coming-of-age novel reads very differently in my 40s than it did in my 20s. Frankly, it's even better now than the beloved treasure it used to be. The Warrior's Apprentice is a comedy in the Shakespearian sense: while frequently laugh-till-you hurt hilarious, it's a rich study of character and culture.

Shakespeare would've loved young Miles, who's a goodhearted Richard III, if one can imagine, an off-the-leash lunatic with a gift for persuasion,
Jon
Aug 21, 2009 Jon added it
Recommended to Jon by: Beyond Reality August 2009 Series Selection
Rob
Executive Summary: I really enjoyed this book, and I'm a lot more eager to continue on with the series than I was after Shards of Honor.

Audiobook: Grover Gardner does a good job once again. He's speaks clearly and with good inflection and volume. I don't feel like he added anything extra to the book to make this a must listen, but it's certainly a good option.

Full Review
Despite this being the series that made Ms. Bujold's career, I came to her work instead through her Chalion books instead. I
Mei-Lu
Sep 30, 2012 Mei-Lu rated it liked it
Goodreads tags this as Vorkosigan Saga #3, which number refers to where the book fits chronologically, rather than when it was published. Since it is the first book to feature Miles Vorkosigan as its protaganist, a lot of people suggest it as the first book you should read in the series. Lois McMaster Bujold is the best person to address this, which she does here: http://www.myspace.com/loismcmasterbu... I've been more or less reading the Vorkosigan books in Bujold's suggested order because I re ...more
David Sven
Dec 10, 2012 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Another quick easy read – though I read it slowly over lunch breaks. This time we are introduced to Miles as he comes into adulthood. He has a lot going against him physically. Brittle bones, curved spine, short – yet still somehow manages to make it to a final test to usher him into a proper Vor military career. Unfortunately for him it’s a very physical test. Unfortunately, strength of will, brilliant tactical and strategic ability, and courage aplenty just can’t overcome physics at times.

But
Melissa McShane
My most recent re-read of this book was as an audiobook my husband and I listened to over the course of a couple of weeks. It's part of my experiment to see if I do better retaining what I've listened to when I'm already familiar with the material. Mostly, though, I was just captivated once again by Bujold's facility with character and plot. The story of Miles Vorkosigan's journey, how every event leads somewhere unexpected and how he goes from adding a single hapless man to his entourage to bei ...more
Penny
This was not at all what I was expecting and it was awesome! Light, fun, easy reading. I was very fond of the narrator Miles and my enjoyment of his quick wit and sharp mind only grew as the story progressed. There were some wonderfully absurd situations which were always resolved in a manner that I found completely believable which surprised me. I'll be sure to read more of this series in the future but this book works well as a stand alone.
Petertpc
Dec 12, 2011 Petertpc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Miles Vorkosigan is one of my new favorite characters. A dwarf with brittle bones from a people famed for their warriors and Miles gets by using his quick wit and incredible brains. He's awesome and extremely funny. I also really like the way Bujold writes. She keeps the story moving but provides enough details to paint a really vivid picture of her backdrop. This is a new favorite series.
Gordana
Aug 12, 2015 Gordana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
najdrazi lik za sada u knjizi i tako me brzo napusti!!! R.I.P. Bothari
R.J.
Apr 25, 2015 R.J. rated it it was amazing
This is probably the third if not the fourth time I've read this, but it's been a while and THIS BOOK IS SO GREAT. I'd almost forgotten how great it was, but now I'm even more excited to re-read the rest of the Miles books (and maybe even catch up on the newer ones -- the last one I read was DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY).

I'd had friends with excellent taste in books bugging me to read this series forever, but I could never get past the awful Baen covers and ill-edited excerpts that made it sound like the
Sarah Yoffa
Jan 05, 2011 Sarah Yoffa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-milsf-milfic
One of the slickest Comedies of Errors ever written--plus, hey, exploding spaceships! :) Lois is a master weaver of plots, characters, settings and extrapolation of science facts. There's a reason she's won enough Hugos and Nebulas to make a necklace out of them!! This book is not the "first" in the series but it is a really good starting point for new readers because it introduces the entire premise upon which the balance of the series is built. Much of the reference back to the earlier two boo ...more
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4)
  • Ascendant Sun (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #5)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • Invader (Foreigner, #2)
  • Winning Colors (The Serrano Legacy, #3)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
  • Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)

“When the time comes to leap in faith whether you have your eyes open or closed or scream all the way down or not makes no practical difference.” 75 likes
“Oh, was that liquor of yours a stimulant?" asked Elena. "I wondered why he didn't fall asleep."
"Couldn't you tell?" chuckled Mayhew.
"Not really."
Miles twisted his head to take in Elena's upside-down worried face, and smile in weak reassurance. Sparkly black and purple whirlpools clouded his vision. Mayhew's laughter faded. "My God," he said hollowly, "you mean he's like that all the time?”
57 likes